gracieramz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Just started running... How to ramp up safely?

Hi! I've been working out for a couple years, but I've never tried running for distance. I started with about a mile and a half last week, then took it up to 2 miles a couple days ago, and today I was able to run about 4 miles. This is all at about a 9 minute, 10 second mile. Pretty slow, I suppose. I'm really enjoying it, actually... I'm eager to get up to 6 miles - maybe by the end of the weekend - and I feel like I can do it, but I don't want to over exert myself. I've been relatively sore, but nothing excruciating.

Is ramping up this quickly recommended? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    the generally rule of thumb is never increase your weekly mileage by more than 10%.... doing so can cause problems. I don't know how many days/week your running, but try to make one day a longer run if you want to get the distance in and don't focus on time- focus on finishing the distance. The other days on your shorter runs focus on speed, stride, or varied terrain. I personally, feel that doing LSD one day (Long slow distance, not the drug), speed-work on a track (ladders, repeats, etc) and plyos another, hill repeats on another day, and tempo/pace work (doing a middle-distanced run at my goal race pace) on another day and one day a week on a recovery run (short run at a slow speed- usually done a day after a heavy leg-based lifting day). I have been running for awhile and am training for ultra-marathons which is why i run 5 days/week.

I didn't obey the 10% rule when i made the jump from marathon running to ultra-marathon running and am currently paying for it. I have IT band syndrome (an overuse injury) in both legs. Make sure you stick to it. an overuse injury will set you back. also make sure your doing leg strengthening as well as running to prevent injury (most runner's are weak in their hamstrings, glutes - particularly the gluteus medius, and hip adductors... make sure your strengthening them). good luck- running is amazing, be patient to avoid injury. 10%

gracieramz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow thank you so much! That was incredibly helpful. I will definitely take your advice. And congrats on getting up to doing ultra-marathons... You must be in unbelievable shape. Thanks again!

runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    not a problem... if you ever have any training ?'s feel free to message me. i could talk running all day

USBoxer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) USBoxer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) USBoxer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) USBoxer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) USBoxer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) USBoxer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) USBoxer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by runnergrl13 View Post
    I personally, feel that doing LSD one day (Long slow distance, not the drug)
    I lol'd

i have to explain that... one day at PT my physical therapist asked me what i did for training and i explained my running routine and said i did LSD without the explanation that it meant long slow distance not the drug and he got really quiet. I was seeing him for muscle spasms in my back from my scoliosis and he finally said "I heard LSD is stored in your spine and can cause problems, perhaps you should stop that". I explained it mean long slow distance- it was very comical.

Scotytri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scotytri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scotytri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scotytri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scotytri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scotytri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scotytri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scotytri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scotytri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scotytri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scotytri will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've all taken LSD to mean Long steady distance. I'm not a huge fan of slow running as it just trains you to run slow

i learned that term from my dad who was a drill instructor in the marine corps at a young age so it's stuck with me. through-out my middle, high school and college years running cross-country and track and all the coaches i had some called it slow some called it steady. valid point. it is slow though b/c your goal is to do it at a comfortable pace where you can talk for a long period of time, and you only do it once a week... all your other training is done a pace. my LSD's are 35-50 miles, so it is slower.

NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Scotytri View Post
    I've all taken LSD to mean Long steady distance. I'm not a huge fan of slow running as it just trains you to run slow
    Scotty has a point. LSD has it's place in training. The purpose is recovery and capillary growth. If you want to become a competitive runner, you will get a lot more out of "reminding" yourself how to sprint. My coach explained it two me as two parallel systems: a floor and ceiling. Runners spend the majority of their time training the floor when they should be focusing on the ceiling. The rule of 10% is universal. Remember, training is progressive overload. Be sure to take an easy week every month, or "deload" week.

Ideally you would just be getting out and growing you base with slow miles for 6-months to a year. During this period you will be doing 2 days a week of 4-6 95% sprints. Once you have your foundation you can mix in anaerobic work. I also coached (as a consultant, I am not a school employee) a state champion last year in the mile, he went from 4:34 to 4:18 in 5 months of training in 95 degrees on race day.

The problem with LSD is people become content and their bodies forget how to run fast.
    "The process is the goal"

Current PR's
    Bench: 240
    Squat: 385
    Dead Lift: 390
    Mile:4:26
    5K: 15:18

" I've never tried running for distance. I started with about a mile and a half last week, then took it up to 2 miles a couple days ago, and today I was able to run about 4 miles. This is all at about a 9 minute, 10 second mile. Pretty slow, I suppose. I'm really enjoying it, actually... I'm eager to get up to 6 miles "

that portion of the original quote is why i suggested the LSD... in this case, I am assuming that the 6 mile distance is the goal- not the time. i agree that if you are a sprinter or middle distance runner or even a competitive marathoner that too much LSD at a super slow pace would be problematic.

However, in cases where just completing a distance in which pace/time is a non-issue it has a place to build up a solid aerobic base. I don't think the original poster is looking to get a PR in a specific distance... just increase their current mileage safely. In this instance, LSD has a place and should be used to get that base and then speed- work can be added in. If they were going for a faster 5k or mile time perhaps LSD wouldn't help, but that's not the case. For someone who is starting to run and increase their mileage LSD is a great way to go b/c it helps build that solid base/conditioning while it's still enjoyable. I don't care how much you love to run, while your doing it working at 95% is miserable while your doing it... it has rewards afterwards though. With a more slow/steady pace (which ever term you use) it can be enjoyable.

also "slow" is a broad term... i'm not talking a crawl. i'm just speaking in terms of a pace that is manageable for the goal distance. for me- my LSD runs are done a my goal 50 mile race pace of 7:30 min/mile. that's 30 secs/mile slower than my marathon pace... i held the state record for the mile back in the day and had achieved a time of 5:01 in 8th grade- i agree with you on the no LSD for that. My coach didn't let me go for my longer runs (which were only 12 miles at that time) b/c i needed to be use to the 5 min/mile pace. It just depends on the goal.