DavidW1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Soccer Strength/Speed Training

Hello everyone.
    David here, long time reader, first post.

I have a question about proper strength training and incorporating it into soccer training.
    Now, I have been reading up on the workout section on the main site, and the workouts/exercises listed under these threads in the forum.

I found these:
    The train-like-ronaldo-build-a-body-for-a-better-game article,
    as well as idiots-guide-to-getting-strong
    I also watched the NFL combine trainers. Could some of those exercises on field be helpful?

I'm thinking those are the closest to what I'm looking for.
    I don't have a muscular upper body (hence my presence here), but I am a good sprinter.
    It's been a while, but on a good day, I could clock a top speed of 35-39-ish km/h.

I'm looking to get that back.
    Build a stronger upper body to get stronger in one-on-one duels, and build stronger legs for faster sprinting.
    I already have plyometrics exercises that I can incorporate into my training, along with my regular soccer practice and soccer matchday.

The few problems I have (for now) are:
    I only have a barbell and dumbbell set to work with (at home). No gym (again, for now)
    I also read contradicting reports about using light or heavy weight and the reps a single set should hold.
    Heavy weights + fewer reps = Strength, not size? I mean, I know I'll grow some, but I'm not looking to bulk up.

Can anyone recommend good exercises with these tools to build a strong upper body and powerful legs?
    I'm specifically afraid of gaining too much size over strength and getting slower instead of faster.
    I've read the sticky on the main forum page, and I don't want to make the mistake of going in head over heels.
    I have the feeling compound moves would benefit me more. Is this true?

Help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Last edited by DavidW1986; 11-21-2012 at 03:56 AM.

AntNazgul is on a distinguished road. (+10) AntNazgul is on a distinguished road. (+10) AntNazgul is on a distinguished road. (+10) AntNazgul is on a distinguished road. (+10) AntNazgul is on a distinguished road. (+10) AntNazgul is on a distinguished road. (+10) AntNazgul is on a distinguished road. (+10) AntNazgul is on a distinguished road. (+10) AntNazgul is on a distinguished road. (+10) AntNazgul is on a distinguished road. (+10) AntNazgul is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi David, focus on the starting strength program with eating slightly above maintenance, work on proper form and focus specially on the power clean movement for explosive power which suits soccer great.
    "LOWER"

My Texas method log : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148229433

guerro3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool

Dude I been looking for anserw for the same situation I wanna be cut but not bulky or ill lose speed I. Soccer I just wana know what Ronaldo eats and excise

K114 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dead lifts and burpees

crunchnflex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crunchnflex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    windsprints will cut you up really fast! lol

DavidW1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by AntNazgul View Post
    Hi David, focus on the starting strength program with eating slightly above maintenance, work on proper form and focus specially on the power clean movement for explosive power which suits soccer great.
    Thank you AntNazgul, will definitely try it out Are you referring to the starting-strength-review-of-mark-rippetoes-barbell-bible two workouts per week that a novice should incorporate into his workout?