RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up gently approaching PR's with a Cube Method hybrid

RVAPump's PR Journey w/ 365Strong/Russian Hybrid

Background:

this is really the first time I've ventured into the workout log forum so please play nice think of me as Peter Griffin playing COD for the first time

I've never done a workout log on Bodybuilding.com before mainly because I never thought anyone would give a fukk what I do in the gym day-to-day, and that may still be true, but that's what the internet is for, after all...

I've focused heavily on bodybuilding style training ever since I started training six years ago, and even used to say "I'd rather look like I can bench 400 lbs. than actually be able to bench 400 lbs." and that's still partly true, as I do value aesthetics to a degree, but now I want to have my cake and eat it too...look like a strong MFer and be a strong MFer, so from about July of 2013 to now I've focused much more on strength, and less on "bodybuilding" and I really want to continue that in 2014. The only real short term goal I have is bench press related...I have a bench only meet coming up in April, and would like to press somewhere around 425 lbs. and win my weight class. I've never attempted to press over 405 lbs. to date, but my calculated 1RM is around 427 lbs. so that's a number I'm shooting to press for real, by April. As I said, I've really focused on bodybuilding exclusively, and for a long time really avoided things like deadlifts in favor of barbell/dumbbell/T-Bar rows for back mass, but they're something I've added since I shifted my focus to more of a powerlifting/bodybuilding hybrid style of training. My deadlift max is fairly poor considering my size and my bench number, but my calculated max (never 1RM'd) is 454 lbs. and that's something I would love to get up over 500 lbs. in the first quarter of 2014. So that leaves squats...squats are something I've been unable to do consistently due to an inguinal hernia that has been with me since adolescence...and yes, I know it's probably a poor decision not to get it fixed, and I will eventually, but aside from a few isolated circumstances it really doesn't affect me...it does however, impact my ability to squat to depth with much weight, and as a result, leg training has been spotty, and not particularly intense, which is why I've focused so much on benching. I would like to change that though, and my squat is something I'm looking to re-focus on, and get up to something respectable...I've probably squatted less than 10 times in the past three years (I know, I'm a puss), but recently I decided to give it a whirl, and did 405 for one rep, to depth, and felt decent about that and called it a day, so for now, I'll call 405 lbs. my squat 1RM. That's another lift I would love to get up over 500 lbs. this year, maybe by the mid-way point of the year. So there you have it...a little lifting bio on me...now onto how I'm going to do all this...

How:

I'm going to use a two-pronged method to reach these goals I've laid out...

1) I'll be using Brandon Lilly's Cube Method as the framework for my training program. I've used the Cube successfully once in 2013 and was very happy with the results I got over 10 weeks, so I'm sticking with what works. I'll be using the Cube primarily for its deadlift and squat protocols, doing each once per week, and depending on how training goes, possibly adding in the bodybuilding/weakness day that the Cube calls for...

2) I'll be using a bench program similar to the Russian inspired training program used by my school's strength coach, Bill Gillespie (pictured above), who holds world records in multiple powerlifting organizations including bench presses of over 800 lbs. as well as a 1,000+ lbs. squat, so the man is strong as fukk. He's also one of the less than 100 certified master strength coaches in the country, and has held strength coaching positions in both Division 1 NCAA athletics as well as the NFL, so the man is smart as fukk also. This isn't a shot for shot program that he designed, but it is very similar to the program he's used for himself as well as athletes, and that's plenty good for me.

Training Details:

If you're familiar with the Cube Method, then this will be review, but if not, here's how it breaks down, generally speaking...

There are four training days per week...bench day, deadlift day, squat day, and bodybuilding/weakness day...there are also three types of training days for each of the "big three" days...there are heavy days, rep days, and explosive days...each week, the type of training changes for each of the training days, i.e. if Week 1 is heavy bench, rep deadlift, explosive squat, then Week 2 may be rep bench, explosive deadlift, heavy squat, etc.

The Russian inspired bench program I'll be using consists of four days of benching per week, and uses a variety of training techniques including different pause lengths, different rest intervals, dumbbells, floor presses, bands, chains, assisted bench press, negatives, etc. and uses different %'s of 1RM ranging anywhere from 60% up to 98% depending on the day.

The way I envision this hybrid style playing out is sticking with the four bench press days, and using the bench press protocols in the Russian program instead of the Cube Method bench press protocols, and also use the Cube Method protocols for both deadlift, squat, and possibly bodybuilding/weakness day. I can always re-evaluate if bench pressing and deadlifting/squatting on the same day becomes too difficult, but for now I want to give it a shot and see if I can handle it.

Other Notes:

I'll also be listing supplements I'm using, maybe some food pictures if it's anything exciting, so if you have any questions about any of that, feel free to ask away!

Summary:

So there you have it...I'm looking forward to checking in with workout plans and getting feedback and using this as a way to stay accountable, and hopefully smoke some suckas in April...thanks for following along!

NSCA CSCS
    ACSM EP-C

Charnell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Charnell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Charnell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Charnell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Charnell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Charnell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Charnell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Charnell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Charnell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Charnell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Charnell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Oh damn I'm up in on dis, you strong as hell cuz

RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Day 1: January 2, 2014

Ideally I would've started on a Monday, as the Russian bench program is designed to be a Monday Tuesday Thursday Friday type of deal, but whatever...not waiting four days for organization's sake, I'm itching to lift.

Because the bench program is really designed more for NCAA/professional football players, it includes things like cleans, and has some leg movements scattered in on different days, both of which I'm going to eliminate as I'm having a squat day every week courtesy of the Cube Method, so today that left bench press, military press, one-arm dumbbell rows, weighted pull-ups, and I threw in some triceps pushdowns at the end.

Supplements -

30 minutes pre-workout: 1 scoop VPX mTORC1, 1 scoop CL Purple Wraath
    Comments: mTORC1 is a nice option for someone more concerned with strength training than pumps, which is why I liked it so much on days like today. It's got the CREmTOR creatine complex in it, plus some MCTs, BCAAs, and then the stimulant complex, so it's kind of no frills, and not geared for pumps, but the energy and performance benefits have been great...Purple Wraath has always been a great product with awesome ergogenic aids and EAAs, and is another non-pump related product, and stacks great with the mTORC1...this has been my go-to pre-workout combo for the past month or so

Training -

WARM-UP: I use a red Rogue Fitness band to do some mobility work before I bench because of some prior shoulder injuries, and it also really helps me pinch my shoulder blades together, which is something I could never do before I started warming up with bands...I stretched a little in my lower body, pressed 135 for 15 or 20 reps, and was ready to go

COMMENTS: % of 1RM ranged from 72-86 today for bench press, and accessory movements were all 3 sets of 6 reps, and I chose a weight that was moderate

BENCH PRESS
    1x3 @ 325
    1x3 @ 335
    1x3 @ 350
    1x6 @ 290
    1x6 @ 300
    1x6 @ 315

COMMENTS: hit all the reps I was supposed to...I was concerned about the 315x6 on the last set when I was reading over it earlier today, but even that felt good...350x3 went up really easy

MILITARY PRESS
    1x6 @ 275
    1x6 @ 275
    1x6 @ 275

DB ROW
    1x6 @ 100's
    1x6 @ 125's
    1x6 @ 150's

COMMENTS: 100's were a waste, I just haven't done this exercise in a long time so I pussyfooted it on the first set

WEIGHTED PULL-UP
    1x6 +45
    1x6 +45
    1x5 +45

TRICEPS PUSHDOWNS
    1x20 @ 80
    1x20 @ 100

Summary -

I was really happy with today...we'll see how I feel tomorrow benching again though, and then doing deadlifts afterward, it should be interesting
    NSCA CSCS
    ACSM EP-C

ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    2nd

Threatening Democracy gachase21's Avatar
    gachase21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gachase21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gachase21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gachase21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gachase21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gachase21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gachase21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gachase21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gachase21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gachase21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gachase21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    In to learn

Originally Posted by Charnell View Post
    Oh damn I'm up in on dis, you strong as hell cuz
    Originally Posted by ISurfNudeBrah View Post
    2nd
    Originally Posted by gachase21 View Post
    In to learn
    thanks brahs
    NSCA CSCS
    ACSM EP-C

Master of The Universe laneanders's Avatar
    laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Good luck with your lifting goals in 2014. I'm still chasing that 500 pound bench press myself. I've been stuck at 475 for ages. Cube is alright, you'll see gains.

Day 2: January 3, 2014

woke up with a little soreness, but nothing major at all, and the bench press portion of today didn't look too terrible, so I wasn't worried...Cube Method portion of today was heavy deadlifts which is normally the least brutal of the three deadlift days using the Cube Method, at least for me

Supplements -

none today, was pressed for time

Training -

WARM-UP: typical mobility work and a few reps of 135

COMMENTS: % of 1RM ranged from 66-83 on the bench press portion, and on the Cube Method portion, from 75-85; bench press was performed with an extra-slow negative, soft-pause, and explosive positive, and used 1 min. rest periods between sets

BENCH PRESS
    1x3 @ 270
    1x3 @ 270
    1x3 @ 270
    1x2 @ 305
    1x2 @ 305
    1x2 @ 305
    1x1 @ 335
    1x1 @ 335
    1x1 @ 335

WARM-UP: 20 reps of 135, 15 reps of 225

COMPETITION STANCE DEADLIFT
    1x2 @ 365

COMMENTS: felt a sharp behind my right knee on the second rep that didn't immediately go away, so I decided to scrap deadlift for the day and move on to the rest of the workout

LAT PULLDOWN
    1x15 @ 150
    1x15 @ 150
    1x15 @ 150
    1x15 @ 150

DUMBBELL SHRUG
    1x15 @ 100
    1x15 @ 125
    1x15 @ 150

BODYWEIGHT PULL-UP
    1x10
    1x8
    1x7
    NSCA CSCS
    ACSM EP-C

Day 3: January 4, 2014

no lingering leg pain from the day before, but I decided to put off deadlifts for another week rather than be aggressive and try to do them again right away and risk anything

Supplements -

20 minutes pre-workout: 1 scoop Purus Labs Condense, 1 scoop VPX CREmTOR
    Comments: VERY impressed with Condense, both on paper and performance, as you'll see; the crisp apple flavor was excellent also

Training -

WARM-UP: typical mobility work and a set of 15 with 75 lbs. dumbbells

COMMENTS: the instructions for today were to work up to a 3RM on the incline dumbbell press, however I've pushed 150's for 6 reps (current PR) and that's the heaviest dumbbells we have, so what I did today isn't reflective of the protocol in the program; following the incline press, I did the bodybuilding/weakness day plan for me which included some shoulders and arms

INCLINE DB PRESS (30 degrees)
    1x3 @ 100
    1x3 @ 125
    1x3 @ 150
    1x3 @ 150
    1x6 @ 150
    1x8 @ 150 (PR)
    1x7 @ 150

MILITARY PRESS
    1x6 @ 275
    1x6 @ 275
    1x6 @ 275

BARBELL CURL
    1x15 @ bar
    1x15 @ 65
    1x10 @ 95
    1x10 @ 115

TRICEPS PUSHDOWN SS W/ SINGLE-ARM CABLE PUSHDOWN
    1x20/1x10 each arm
    1x20/1x10 each arm
    1x20/1x10 each arm

DB CURL - PARTIALS
    1x20 @ 20
    1x20 @ 20

CABLE PUSHDOWN
    1x20 @ 110
    1x20 @ 110
    NSCA CSCS
    ACSM EP-C

Day 4: January 5, 2014

OFF

went and saw Escape Plan and actually liked it...IDGAF if the acting is meh, because Sly and Arnold are in it
    NSCA CSCS
    ACSM EP-C

Day 5: January 6, 2014

I decided to train bench only and a couple of accessory lifts today, and tomorrow I'll dive into deadlift, and Wednesday I'll squat, then begin Week 2's training on Thursday...chest and joints feel fine despite all the training the past few days, and today was more of a volume training day anyway, so percentages weren't nearly as high as they have been...I trained with the bench program protocol and then did my own thing afterward and was incredibly happy

Supplements -

20 minutes pre-workout: 2 scoops Purus Labs Condense, 1 scoop VPX CREmTOR
    Comments: VERY impressed with Condense again; at 2 scoops it's probably one of my top 5 pre-workouts I've ever used, and CREmTOR is the PERFECT stacker to use...deadly combination

Training -

WARM-UP: typical mobility work and a set of 15 with 135 lbs.

BENCH PRESS
    1x6 @ 275
    1x6 @ 295
    1x10 @ 265
    1x10 @ 265
    1x10 @ 265
    1x14 @ 265

DECLINE PRESS
    1x10 @ 225
    1x10 @ 315
    1x3 @ 365
    1x2 @ 385
    1x1 @ 405
    1x1 @ 435 (PR)

LAT PULLDOWN
    1x15 @ 150
    1x15 @ 150
    1x12 @ 170
    1x8 @ 210

DB FRONT RAISE
    1x10 @ 25
    1x10 @ 30

BARBELL UPRIGHT ROW
    1x10 @ 135
    1x5 @ 185 *drop* 1x5 @ 135

DB LATERAL RAISE
    1x30 @ 10

COMMENTS: to hit a PR that deep into a workout seems crazy to me, so I was extremely happy...I'm looking forward to giving myself a little break from pressing over the next couple of days and see what happens, because so far, so good
    NSCA CSCS
    ACSM EP-C

Day 6: January 7, 2014

Supplements -

20 minutes pre-workout:
    2 scoops Purus Labs Condense, 1 scoop VPX CREmTOR

Training -

WARM-UP:
    typical mobility work; sets of 15 with 135 and 225 lbs.

DEADLIFT
    1x3 @ 295
    1x3 @ 295
    1x3 @ 295
    1x3 @ 295
    1x3 @ 295
    1x3 @ 295
    1x3 @ 295
    1x3 @ 295

BLOCK PULL
    1x5 @ 320
    1x5 @ 320

DEFICIT DEADLIFTS
    1x8 @ 285
    1x8 @ 285
    1x8 @ 285

LAT PULLDOWN
    1x15 @ 150
    1x15 @ 150
    1x15 @ 150
    1x15 @ 150

DB SHRUG
    1x10 @ 150
    1x10 @ 150
    1x10 @ 150

BODYWEIGHT PULL-UP
    1x9
    1x8
    1x6
    NSCA CSCS
    ACSM EP-C

Day 7: January 8, 2014

Supplements -

20 minutes pre-workout:
    2 scoops Purus Labs Condense, 1 scoop VPX CREmTOR
    before bed: began taking 1 pack Animal PM each night

Training -

WARM-UP:
    typical mobility work; sets of 15 with 135 and 225 lbs.

BACK SQUAT
    1x12 @ 285
    1x12 @ 285
    1x12 @ 285

FRONT SQUAT
    1x8 @ 300
    1x8 @ 300
    1x8 @ 300

PAUSE IN THE HOLE
    1x10 @ 275
    1x10 @ 275
    1x10 @ 275

HAMSTRING CURL
    1x15 @ 135
    1x15 @ 135
    1x15 @ 135

BACK EXTENSION
    1x12
    1x12
    1x12
    1x12

BODYWEIGHT PULL-UP
    1x11
    1x9
    1x7
    Last edited by RVAPump; 01-10-2014 at 10:32 PM.
    NSCA CSCS
    ACSM EP-C

Day 8: January 9, 2014

Supplements -

Training -

WARM-UP: typical mobility work and a few reps of 135

BENCH PRESS
    1x2 @ 340
    1x2 @ 355
    1x2 @ 370
    1x5 @ 305
    1x5 @ 315
    1x5 @ 325

LAT PULLDOWN
    1x15 @ 150
    1x15 @ 150
    1x15 @ 150
    1x15 @ 150

LATERAL RAISE
    1x10 @ 30
    1x10 @ 30
    1x10 @ 30

BODYWEIGHT PULL-UP
    1x12
    1x10
    1x9
    Last edited by RVAPump; 01-10-2014 at 10:34 PM.
    NSCA CSCS
    ACSM EP-C

Day 9: January 10, 2014

Supplements -

Training -

WARM-UP: typical mobility work and a set of 15 with 135 lbs.

BENCH PRESS
    1x3 @ 265
    1x3 @ 265
    1x3 @ 265
    1x2 @ 305
    1x2 @ 305
    1x2 @ 305
    1x1 @ 365
    1x1 @ 365
    1x1 @ 365
    1x16 @ 265

DEADLIFT
    1x2 @ 365
    1x2 @ 365
    1x2 @ 365
    1x2 @ 365
    1x2 @ 365

BLOCK PULL
    1x3 @ 375
    1x3 @ 375

DEFICIT DEADLIFTS
    1x5 @ 355
    1x5 @ 355

DB SHRUG
    1x10 @ 150
    1x10 @ 150
    1x10 @ 150

BODYWEIGHT PULL-UP
    1x9
    1x8
    1x6
    NSCA CSCS
    ACSM EP-C

lschepis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lschepis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lschepis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lschepis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lschepis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lschepis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lschepis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lschepis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lschepis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lschepis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lschepis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Subbing in for big lifts and eye candy.
    Training log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159735861&pagenumber=

**No thigh gap Crew

Diesel0022 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diesel0022 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diesel0022 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diesel0022 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diesel0022 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diesel0022 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diesel0022 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diesel0022 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diesel0022 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diesel0022 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Diesel0022 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Dear diary
    Xtreme Formulations Aficionado
    Xfmuscle.com

Ogrestrength.com

"From time to time, there arise among human beings, people, who seem to exude love as naturally as the sun gives out heat."

"There's only 1 comparison that matters in this world, and that's who you are compared to who you could be. Live accordingly."