Katie4004 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie4004 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie4004 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie4004 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie4004 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie4004 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie4004 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie4004 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie4004 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie4004 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie4004 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Low bmi, high body fat percentage!?!

I am 20, 5'1, and I weigh about 98 pounds. I have been dieting for about 10 months now and I lost about 10 pounds. For the past two months I have been on a 400 calorie deficit per day ( I am eating 400 calories less than I am burning per day) and I do cardio and weights 3 times per week. I go to college so I also probably walk around 2 hours per day to and from and around campus.

I just got my body fat measured and, to my disappointment, I have 28% body fat. For females, fitness is 21-24% and average is 25-31%. This is pretty devastating for me. I thought I would definitely be within the fitness range since my bmi is 18.7. I just can't get that percentage out of my head. I don't understand how I can have so much body fat with the amount of exercise that I am doing. It would make sense if I was sedentary but I am definitely not. This should not be happening.

I got measured for a class and we used 3 different types of techniques; bio electrical impedance, nir, and tricep skinfold. I had my bei measured on two different days. The 1st day i got 18% and the 2nd i got 24%. Both my nir and tricep skinfold were 28%.

So what is going on? I really have no idea what else I should be doing to lose fat.

I am so confused. Based on the pictures on this website when you sign up , I think I look like I have about 22% body fat. I don't look anything like the 30% picture.

PNG3000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Clen

I used Chinese clenbuterol and T3 to lose 4 stone, i had tried just about every diet and regime out there so gave up and got some of this stuff, 6 months of light cardio and resistance work and i had lost 4 stone, no major side effects either. I am not suggesting anyone using it, just saying it worked for me!

AllApologies will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllApologies will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllApologies will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllApologies will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllApologies will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllApologies will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllApologies will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllApologies will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllApologies will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllApologies will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllApologies will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by PNG3000 View Post
    I used Chinese clenbuterol and T3 to lose 4 stone, i had tried just about every diet and regime out there so gave up and got some of this stuff, 6 months of light cardio and resistance work and i had lost 4 stone, no major side effects either. I am not suggesting anyone using it, just saying it worked for me!
    Hahaha,

Consider eating at a slight surplus (200 - 300 calories), and lifting.

Katie4004 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie4004 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie4004 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie4004 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie4004 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie4004 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie4004 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie4004 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie4004 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie4004 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie4004 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by AllApologies View Post
    Hahaha,

Consider eating at a slight surplus (200 - 300 calories), and lifting.
    Everyday or just on the days that I am working out? Should I maintain a deficit on the days when I am not working out?

csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I wouldn't take the BEI results, or the single site NIR or tricep skinfold, with the slightest grain of salt. They are all just very crappy predictions.

IF you don't look anything like a 30% BF example, then you are probable not. Especially @ 98 lbs.

As a previous poster said, focusing on slowly adding muscle, and then dropping a few lbs, is probably the best strategy you have for eventually getting a low/"athletic" %BF while having a non-ridiculous BMI.

Registered User BernadetMatassa's Avatar
    BernadetMatassa is just really nice. (+1000) BernadetMatassa is just really nice. (+1000) BernadetMatassa is just really nice. (+1000) BernadetMatassa is just really nice. (+1000) BernadetMatassa is just really nice. (+1000) BernadetMatassa is just really nice. (+1000) BernadetMatassa is just really nice. (+1000) BernadetMatassa is just really nice. (+1000) BernadetMatassa is just really nice. (+1000) BernadetMatassa is just really nice. (+1000) BernadetMatassa is just really nice. (+1000)
    Unfortunately when you run on less calories than what you need your body is going to burn your muscle mass to feed itself...It looks like that you are very active so you need to increase your calorie intake. Only try to focus on taking in more complex carbs and protein instead of single carbs like suggar.. YOu also need to coorporate strength training to increase your lean muscle mass.. Good luck!!

Originally Posted by csb5731 View Post
    I wouldn't take the BEI results, or the single site NIR or tricep skinfold, with the slightest grain of salt. They are all just very crappy predictions.

IF you don't look anything like a 30% BF example, then you are probable not. Especially @ 98 lbs.

As a previous poster said, focusing on slowly adding muscle, and then dropping a few lbs, is probably the best strategy you have for eventually getting a low/"athletic" %BF while having a non-ridiculous BMI.
    Originally Posted by BernadetMatassa View Post
    Unfortunately when you run on less calories than what you need your body is going to burn your muscle mass to feed itself...It looks like that you are very active so you need to increase your calorie intake. Only try to focus on taking in more complex carbs and protein instead of single carbs like suggar.. YOu also need to coorporate strength training to increase your lean muscle mass.. Good luck!!
    Thank you for replying.
    I am curious about when i should restrict and when I should eat at maintenance. Should I eat at maintenance on the days I am working out and then restrict on the days when I am not? Or, should I go through restricting and maintaining phases? Meaning should I eat at maintenance for like two weeks while working out 3 days a week and then restrict for 2 weeks while continuing to work out 3 times per week? I feel like if I eat at maintenance while working out, I will gain muscle but I will not lose any fat. I want to gain muscle as well as lose fat.

jeffkastner is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeffkastner is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeffkastner is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeffkastner is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeffkastner is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeffkastner is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeffkastner is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeffkastner is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeffkastner is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeffkastner is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeffkastner is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Katie4004 View Post
    I am 20, 5'1, and I weigh about 98 pounds. I have been dieting for about 10 months now and I lost about 10 pounds. For the past two months I have been on a 400 calorie deficit per day ( I am eating 400 calories less than I am burning per day) and I do cardio and weights 3 times per week. I go to college so I also probably walk around 2 hours per day to and from and around campus.

I just got my body fat measured and, to my disappointment, I have 28% body fat. For females, fitness is 21-24% and average is 25-31%. This is pretty devastating for me. I thought I would definitely be within the fitness range since my bmi is 18.7. I just can't get that percentage out of my head. I don't understand how I can have so much body fat with the amount of exercise that I am doing. It would make sense if I was sedentary but I am definitely not. This should not be happening.

I got measured for a class and we used 3 different types of techniques; bio electrical impedance, nir, and tricep skinfold. I had my bei measured on two different days. The 1st day i got 18% and the 2nd i got 24%. Both my nir and tricep skinfold were 28%.

So what is going on? I really have no idea what else I should be doing to lose fat.

I am so confused. Based on the pictures on this website when you sign up , I think I look like I have about 22% body fat. I don't look anything like the 30% picture.
    Post your body pic and we can take a guess on body fat.

You didn't mention any kind of macro ratios at all. Do you track protein/carbs/fats?
    I worked with a girl that had this exact problem and we tried the 'Eat Stop Eat' approach. She ate at maintenance 3 days in a row and every 4th day, she did a 24 hour fast. Works wonders.. drink lots of water, some diet pop, coffee and take a few stims to get you through any withdrawals.
    That approach is too extreme for some but the other option is to stay at a deficit. Still.. 98 pounds? I'm having a hard time believing you're 28% too.

And for goodness sakes.. don't ever believe that your body is going to burn muscle because you're at a 300 calorie deficit. That's absurd.

caprica6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) caprica6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) caprica6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) caprica6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) caprica6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) caprica6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) caprica6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) caprica6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) caprica6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) caprica6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) caprica6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Lol. You are tiny. There's no way you're 28%

...unless there's a way.