PenderC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Scrum Half workout lower body

About 8 weeks ago I tore my shoulder playing rugby. Fun stuff right? Well I'm just now allowed to start going to the gym and just do lower body. I wanna ramp up my workouts, normally I do leg press, squats, a two mile run, calf raises, etc... What do y'all think I should do to just help my lower body explode in this offseason. I'm really lookin to try and go play d1 rugby

konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I play hockey, but its almost the same thing like rugby as alot of it is contact, quick cutting, speed bursts, using your legs, among other things... What I did this summer that really improved my game is.......

1. Squats (along with stuff like Lunges, pistol squats, step ups, etc...)
    I got up to doing reps of 315 for my last set. Truly a golden feeling. It really helps with your strength in your legs, and without strong legs you dont got anything....

2. Sprints (Especially hill sprints)
    I did all types of sprints you can think of focusing on <40 yards... starting on one knee, falling starts, also did a lot of prowler sprints which seemed to help quite a bit. Hill sprints also helped as I had just started doing them often this summer.

3. Plyometrics
    Keep the volume low between 60-90 jumps depending on your athletic ability. Jump squats, broad jumps, tuck jumps, skaters, etc...

Hope this helps..Dont worry so much about running two miles...and calf raises, wont help as much as the things above..

crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Some good advice form konyy, definitely build a routine around heavy squatting and deadlifts with some unilateral assistance work like lunges or split squats. I would say keep the endurance running since you are scrummy and need to haul a$$ around the field all game, plus adding a lot of muscle mass isn't a big concern for your position.

Your local gym monkey simodasink's Avatar
    simodasink will become famous soon enough. (+50) simodasink will become famous soon enough. (+50) simodasink will become famous soon enough. (+50) simodasink will become famous soon enough. (+50) simodasink will become famous soon enough. (+50) simodasink will become famous soon enough. (+50) simodasink will become famous soon enough. (+50) simodasink will become famous soon enough. (+50) simodasink will become famous soon enough. (+50) simodasink will become famous soon enough. (+50) simodasink will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    As well as whats been said above get some box jumps in if you can. They make a massive difference if you're squating and deading to your short distance speed
    Rugby player come lifter, runner etc

PB's to date:
    Deadlift-210kg/ 463lbs
    Squats-165kg/ 364lbs
    Front squats-100kg/ 220lbs
    Bench-120kg/ 265lbs

PenderC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks, I will start doing these things one Monday!

jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by crowaan View Post
    Some good advice form konyy, definitely build a routine around heavy squatting and deadlifts with some unilateral assistance work like lunges or split squats. I would say keep the endurance running since you are scrummy and need to haul a$$ around the field all game, plus adding a lot of muscle mass isn't a big concern for your position.
    Absolutely this - being huge doesn't matter much for a scrum half, you're supposed to have a pile of forwards in front of you.

Obviously you can't beat a squat and deadlift for the lower body (if you can deadlift). Hamstrings, glutes, and lower back are the muscles you need to focus on the most. If you can't deadlift, that means things like reverse hypers, GHR, Good mornings, and split squats.

Being in good shape is going to be absolutely invaluable in college - most guys are going to come in at the start of the season barely able to run the pitch, and you worrying about your cardio is going to put you way ahead of everyone else, and give you an opportunity for more playing time, especially as a Scrummie (or 6/7/8).

Finally, you probably know this, but Rugby is not a big sport in america - if you're trying to play at a big school, you're going to be going up against all the football team rejects, many of whom are going to be bigger, stronger, or faster than you no matter how hard you work. What you need is to know the game, have the skills, and be dedicated to the team. Having a mind for rugby beats pure size and physicality any day of the week.