Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)

Adding a new Bar

I've been thinking about adding a new bar to my little collection this week. I'm assuming there will be some good deals out there this Friday. I'll be clear up front, I'm not looking for a specific bar for Oly lifting, or powerlifting or general purpose. Just a new bar to F around with. It 'can' be an oly or powerlifting specific bar... I just want another damn bar... I can't justify it. I've narrowed it down to a few but thought I'd throw it out there in case I'm missing something. Yes I will drop it and beat the snot out if it.

Here is what I have or have had so these are out...

York B&R (32006)
    Capp's Texas Power Bar
    York Power Bar (32004)
    Pendley Nexgen HD
    York International Black Oxide (32121)
    York Needle Bearing Men's Bar (32110)
    Black Widow Swiss Bar
    Black Widow Trap Bar (Its not here, but its coming)

Here is what I'm considering... and I did search for reviews which impacted some of these results. The prices quoted are as of today... maybe better on Friday.

Ivanko OBX-20KG - Never had an Ivanko, Knurl looks interesting. $484 Shipped. Don't really wanna blow $500 on a "WTF, I'll buy it" bar, but its been in my cart a few times.

Cap OB86B - Gets great reviews, seems like a great value at $150 Shipped. I'm tempted to pound this bar to see what it can do. Lot's of sites say made in the USA, but I doubt that. My only reservation on this bar is that I know I will try to kill it in one of my "experiments".

Troy AOB-1200B - Looks like an Econ TPB to me (99% sure its made by a place that rhymes with "Tapps"). Not interested in the AOB-2000, maybe the 1500B. Around $230 shipped?

Quest Power Bar - This one really intrigues me. It gets great reviews but nobody knows much about it. I've heard its knurl is more aggressive than the TPB, and its apparently an "amazing" bar. Its big brother (The Q bar, is IPF certified). Branded by a supplement company, made by (?) somewhere in the US. (about $315 shipped)

Rogue Operator Bar - It's Green. ($330ish? shipped. I forget). Who doesn't want a green bar?

You folks have any other considerations for me? I still have a few days before I pull the trigger.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()

Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000)
    I really dig my Operator bar but I'd also love to add an Ivanko to my collection.

I'll throw out a suggestion for the Rogue Westside Power bar, too.

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have the OBX-20KG and really like it, but I think I would prefer the OB-20KG without the center knurl.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #39 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #2 ▪█─────█▪

▪[[[[────]]]]▪ York Barbell Club #93 (DD) ▪[[[[────]]]]▪

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #10 ▪[M]====[6]▪

186lbs in Avatar

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Vmango View Post

I'll throw out a suggestion for the Rogue Westside Power bar, too.
    Maybe once they get the quality issues on that bar figured out. I'm pretty sure they are trying to figure out how to knurl harder steel (something Ivanko talks about on their site). They recently yanked them. This is a pic from the review of Andrew_WOT's bar. That knurl is obliterated.

Last edited by GarageIron; 11-19-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I haven't seen "that" many bars, but the Ivanko has had the best knurling of any bar I've held. I have the Capp TPB too, and I seem to recall them being similar. Although my memory is fleeting...the Ivanko seemed to be a little more aggressive. I struggled deciding whether to buy it or the Capp....just couldn't see the point when so many people are happy with the TPB....I have not been disappointed. Since you already have the Capp, this isn't an issue....only the cost of getting this bar as basically an "I just want something" item.

I like the Cap as an idea. It seems to fit into your plan, plus since you have some "experiments" you want to do....you can get that out of your system as well, and not be out a bunch of money.

The operator is probably going to be another one you can pound....and like you said, its green.

I'm not familiar at all with the others. I'd probably get the Cap, unless you just want a cool green bar to show off.

Ironically, I bought a green SKS rifle years ago....just because it looked really cool and the price was right. Not relevant at all, but whatever.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'd be interested to see what your opinion is of the Troy AOB-1200 or 1500. The 1200 has no center knurl and pinned sleeves, the 1500 has center knurl and snap-ring. Seems like the 1500 is more suited as your standard gym barbell, while the 1200 is for oly lifting on a budget.
    www.repfitness.com - Gym equipment manufacturer.

Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    Ironically, I bought a green SKS rifle years ago....just because it looked really cool and the price was right. Not relevant at all, but whatever.
    Oh, That's relevant! I'm considering it for the same reason!

I did leave a few bars out.

The Rogue Burner. An unplated Rogue Bar. Seems neat, I like unplated.

and the York 32011. It's a stainless bar that when I search for only spits out the recalled chinese bars of old. I need to find out more about this bar.

Originally Posted by dukenukem7777 View Post
    I'd be interested to see what your opinion is of the Troy AOB-1200 or 1500. The 1200 has no center knurl and pinned sleeves, the 1500 has center knurl and snap-ring. Seems like the 1500 is more suited as your standard gym barbell, while the 1200 is for oly lifting on a budget.
    Yeah, I spoke to some Troy reps about these bars when I was considering carrying their products in Canada. I never did see one. They told me something about the 1200 being similar to a pendlay econ (another bar I've never seen). I found that weird that an oly bar would have pinned sleeves. That said, I know the shop that make the AOB series also makes another pinned bar that spins very well.

Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have the Pendlay Nexgen HD Bar. Very satisfied with it. Just a good all around bar.

817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I say go w/ the cap, just cuz it is the least priced and you can do whatever experiments on it. You already have alot of bars IMO.

I know my next bar will be a safety squat bar and a cambered bar and a swiss bar all from BWTG of cours
    It surprises me how many people refuse to buy equipment from Elitefts because its too expensive but they will buy equipment from their competitors, then continue to go on EFS website to educate themselves for FREE

Originally Posted by Skyaura View Post
    I have the Pendlay Nexgen HD Bar
    Me too. I do think it is pretty good. In fact, it was the first bar I could pull over 400lbs on. I know that's ass backwards considering I have a bunch of power bars. It may sound stupid, but I think it was easier because the flex in the bar at beginning of the lift was more uniform (elastic). The power bars are stiffer so they flex a bit when the plates are on the floor and then show their stiffness once you yank that flex out. The Pendlay kind of makes the whole lift one pull. I'm past that now, but still remember pulling it with the oly bar bar and then looking at the rack of expensive bars and saying "WTF guys?". I just don't like the really soft knurl for my own preferences. The machined sleeve is beautiful but made for guys that have comp bumpers and change plates... I don't wanna talk about it

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'd go with the CAP. It has the potential to be a great option for home gym use, at an price most folks can afford. Everything I've read about it has been positive, but some of those reviews were from people like myself who lack experience with a wide variety of quality bars. I'd like to see how it stacks up against some of the more well-known bars, from someone who isn't trying to make a sale.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GarageIron View Post
    Me too. I do think it is pretty good. In fact, it was the first bar I could pull over 400lbs on. I know that's ass backwards considering I have a bunch of power bars.
    I can deadlift better with the Pendlay bar too, and I also contribute it to the flex. Since I use Versa Gripps the knurl isn't an issue.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #39 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #2 ▪█─────█▪

▪[[[[────]]]]▪ York Barbell Club #93 (DD) ▪[[[[────]]]]▪

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #10 ▪[M]====[6]▪

186lbs in Avatar

Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Me too. I do think it is pretty good. In fact, it was the first bar I could pull over 400lbs on. I know that's ass backwards considering I have a bunch of power bars. It may sound stupid, but I think it was easier because the flex in the bar at beginning of the lift was more uniform (elastic). The power bars are stiffer so they flex a bit when the plates are on the floor and then show their stiffness once you yank that flex out. The Pendlay kind of makes the whole lift one pull. I'm past that now, but still remember pulling it with the oly bar bar and then looking at the rack of expensive bars and saying "WTF guys?". I just don't like the really soft knurl for my own preferences. The machined sleeve is beautiful but made for guys that have comp bumpers and change plates... I don't wanna talk about it
    The Pendlay Bars and Elite Bumpers are a great product for a relatively good price. In fact the next bar I am looking to get is either the Pendlay Nexgen Bearing Bar or the one you are considering, the Ivanko OBX-20KG. Obviously bars for different lifts, the Pendlay for Oly lifts and the Ivanko for PL. Outside of those two, I would probably go with the Elite FTS new SS Yoke Bar.

Originally Posted by Skyaura View Post
    The Pendlay Bars and Elite Bumpers are a great product for a relatively good price. In fact the next bar I am looking to get is either the Pendlay Nexgen Bearing Bar or the one you are considering, the Ivanko OBX-20KG. Obviously bars for different lifts, the Pendlay for Oly lifts and the Ivanko for PL. Outside of those two, I would probably go with the Elite FTS new SS Yoke Bar.
    For sure. If I may... and don't get me wrong, I walk around wearing EliteFTS hoodies, tees, hats, like I'm the CEO... but before buying any of their specialty bars, talk to Dean and Black Widow or Rick and Edge Fitness Systems. These guys know their stuff and may provide some insight. Dave Tate is bad ass, but he isn't welding those bars. You may find yourself with a better bar and some change in your pocket to get Keetman that Bieber CD he's been after.
    Last edited by GarageIron; 11-19-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    .......You may find yourself with a better bar bar and some change in your pocket to get Keetman that Bieber CD he's been after.

haha-no_o_GIFSoup.com.gif
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    He prefers mp3.

Seems to me you're missing an EZ bar.. Ya know, if you're into bro curls and stuff.
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] Equipment Crew #57 [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

[]──[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #26 []──[]

❍--❍ York Barbell Club #34 ❍--❍

☆☆☆ That On3 Cr3w That Has Too Much Pow3r Cr3w ☆☆☆

Originally Posted by BloodType3R View Post
    He prefers mp3.

f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    For what it's worth, the Quest bar is a Malone bar from what I understand. Still hard to find information about.

Buy the Eleiko PL bar
    BW: 247
    Squat: 550
    Deadlift: 601
    Bench: 381 w/pause
    Press: 275
    Front Squat: 405

I'm intrigued by this mystery Quest bar.

Anyway, to help demonstrate the pain of shopping in Canada... I present you with my quote from Again Faster Canada. Clearly these guys need to talk to me about cross border shipping.

Last edited by GarageIron; 11-20-2012 at 06:54 AM.

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Speaking selfishly, I'd love to see you pick up the Cap bar, beat the snot out of it, and do a review on it, as I have been thinking that it would be a candidate for my second decent bar.

I can speak for the Troy AOB-1500B, as it is currently the only bar I own. I like it a lot--pretty stiff power bar, sleeves spin well enough, and I like the knurl. I'd love to find something similar with no center knurl, as my shins never seem to heal (and yes, I know the Cap bar has center knurling). The AOB-1500B seems to me like a lot of bar for the price I paid--I got it new for about $150 about a year ago from a dealer near me who had them in stock (I love not having to pay for shipping!).
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rlundregan View Post
    ... (and yes, I know the Cap bar has center knurling).
    The OB86-B does not have center knurling. The fully black power bar (OB86-PBCK) does.

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by weisgarb View Post
    The OB86-B does not have center knurling. The fully black power bar (OB86-PBCK) does.
    Hmmm.....I could have sworn the OB86B had center knurling.....thanks for pointing that out--repped!
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

Just looking at the operator again and noticed the photo's of the knurl from the Rogue site... It looks kinda awful. Maybe its just this particular bar in the photo, but it looks like the tool overlaps on the knurl and butchers it in a few spots.

Vmango, how does your bar compare?

f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    GarageIron, I'm pretty sure the Operator bar is just a regular Rogue Bar with a different finish, same knurl and stuff. In which case I can say from my experience the knurl is really nice. I always deadlift with a Rogue Bar and have pulled 550 on it with no grip issues. You're right though, the one in the picture looks pretty ****ed.
    BW: 247
    Squat: 550
    Deadlift: 601
    Bench: 381 w/pause
    Press: 275
    Front Squat: 405

Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000)
    My Knurl is fine. I prefer it and it was better done than my York 32121. I'm very happy to have the Operator bar in my collection. It looks badass and my friends think it's the coolest when the see it (that's worth it alone other than the fact it's otherwise a nice bar).

In fact, I'm actually in love with the Rogue knurl....but I'm more of a soft knurl kinda guy. I did a quick review with pics here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post964442363

Yes, Forbidden is correct. It's just the Rogue bar with a cool finish. I ordered the regular bar but they upgraded me for free because they were out of the standard bars.

weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rlundregan View Post
    Hmmm.....I could have sworn the OB86B had center knurling.....thanks for pointing that out--repped!
    I briefly considered this bar a couple months ago but the lack of center knurling turned me off. Not that it's a big deal, but I've never used a bar without center knurling and am not sure how I'd like one without. I've been using a 31mm hex-bolt black oxide bar for the past 14 years (presumably a Cap--I picked it up separately for around $75 in the late nineties because I didn't care for the chrome one that came with my set) and have been considering an upgrade. My current bar works and I don't go heavy on it (I save that for my trap bar), so I might just hang on to it. I "window shop" from time to time to see what's out there but haven't felt strongly enough to shell out $200+ for a new bar.

GarageIron--as far as the Operator bar goes, NorthernMorris has one as well and seems to like it. He's a prolific poster, so he might chime in, or you can send him a PM.

I figured it was just a green Rogue bar. Just freaked me out a bit considering the picture is the showpiece on their site. I've seen a bunch of Rogue bars but never looked really closely before. They may wanna update that pic!

I looked at the pics of your bar VMANGO and the knurl does look much better.

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by weisgarb View Post

Correct. That's one of the reasons I'm so intrigued by it. As a bald guy, center knurling rubs the back of my head raw when/if I do overhead presses behind the neck.

Just looking at the operator again and noticed the photo's of the knurl from the Rogue site... It looks kinda awful. Maybe its just this particular bar in the photo, but it looks like the tool overlaps on the knurl and butchers it in a few spots.

Vmango, how does your bar compare?

Wow, that looks like a bag of ass. Not only is the knurling jacked up, but the width of the rings appears to be inconsistant as well.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Maybe once they get the quality issues on that bar figured out. I'm pretty sure they are trying to figure out how to knurl harder steel (something Ivanko talks about on their site). They recently yanked them. This is a pic from the review of Andrew_WOT's bar. That knurl is obliterated.
    They had worn out knurling attachment and obviously total lack of QC thus some bars from affected batch had either uneven or shallow knurling.
    They are expecting the new batch coming in by the end of this week. Not sure what you mean by "obliterated" but the tips of the knurl are shaved down "by design" so it will never be as aggressive as on TPB.
    Here's a better angle of the knurl on the bar I have.

Click on thumbnail for super sized image
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Andrew_WOT; 11-20-2012 at 09:58 AM.