huhjunn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) huhjunn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thinking of setting up a home gym, would like advice. (Serious)

So as you know from the title I'm setting up a home gym because gym membership is pretty damn pricey nowadays. 1 years worth of membership is the same as me buying a brand new power rack, weights, an olympic bar, and a bench. I'm going to be setting it all up in my garage.

My first question is, do you think an "AmStaff Press/ Squat Rack" is worth it for $150 used?

Second, is there anything I should be aware of when pursuing this endeavor?

I'm in my third year of university and I'll definitely be staying at home for a few years before I can find a good job and move out.

No trolling please.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by huhjunn View Post
    My first question is, do you think an "AmStaff Press/ Squat Rack" is worth it for $150 used?
    Is it a fully enclosed power rack? Or something else?
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    "AmStaff Press/ Squat Rack" is worth it for $150 used?
    Is this a full rack (cage) or a half rack or squat stand?

1) Use Craigslist (especially when on a tight budget)
    2) Be patient - Wait on good deals and research your purchases. Realize that some people may just be floating an item they are not anxious to sell. That said if you identify that something is the one piece you have to have, be willing to close the deal even if you'd rather do it for a little bit less money - don't get ripped off just do what you have to in order to end up with the stuff you want (within reason) and the stuff which will make you happy.
    3) Get a full power rack - not a half rack or pair of squat stands.

There is a lot more obviously but those are my first three and main three pieces of advice stick to those and I think you'll be off to a great start. As many here can attest this is likely to be a great move. Most importantly- enjoy it!

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    So as you know from the title I'm setting up a home gym because gym membership is pretty damn pricey nowadays. 1 years worth of membership is the same as me buying a brand new power rack, weights, an olympic bar, and a bench. I'm going to be setting it all up in my garage.

Second, is there anything I should be aware of when pursuing this endeavor?

I'm in my third year of university and I'll definitely be staying at home for a few years before I can find a good job and move out.

No trolling please.
    Trust me on this. Do not buy that thing. I've seen it and am ashamed to say I once owned one. The height adjustment for the bench maxes out at about 30". The bar sits on a roller in the j-hooks. That roller is held on with a screw... a tiny screw. Run away. Its a POS.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()

huhjunn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) huhjunn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's not an enclosed cage. Sorry guys I would post pictures but the site won't let me since I don't have 50 posts...

Originally Posted by GarageIron View Post
    Trust me on this. Do not buy that thing. I've seen it and am ashamed to say I once owned one. The height adjustment for the bench maxes out at about 30". The bar sits on a roller in the j-hooks. That roller is held on with a screw... a tiny screw. Run away. Its a POS.
    Did yours break on you? I'm 5'7. Would my height be unsuitable to it?

Azza84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Azza84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Azza84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Azza84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Azza84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Azza84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Azza84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Azza84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Azza84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Azza84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Azza84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

One of these^ Barbell, bench, some plates and your set.

One of these^ Barbell, bench, some plates and your set.[/QUOTE]

Would I need mats if I do deadlifts or other 'out of cage' exercises? I live in Canada and I'm trying to find the cheapest way to set all this up without putting my safety at risk.

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Did yours break on you? I'm 5'7. Would my height be unsuitable to it?
    Yes. It broke. 2 of the pop pins stripped within one month of brand new and 1 bar support broke. I fixed it and sold it for $100. It was 2 months old.

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Where do you live? I don't think you are in the US.

No trolling please.
    From our perspective, you are the potential troll. Tell us why you aren't.
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Originally Posted by AttyGuy View Post
    Where do you live? I don't think you are in the US.

Canada, Toronto

From our perspective, you are the potential troll. Tell us why you aren't.
    I'm not trolling... serious question

Yes. It broke. 2 of the pop pins stripped within one month of brand new and 1 bar support broke. I fixed it and sold it for $100. It was 2 months old.
    Damn that sucks. But thank you for preventing me from buying a crappy rack!

Damn that sucks. But thank you for preventing me from buying a crappy rack!
    I didn't expect much from them or plan to keep them. I just had them as a transition while I moved houses. Im on my 5th rack/stands in just over a year. I spend too much money on this stuff.

My wife typed that last sentence.

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

You have a computer in the kitchen?

Originally Posted by daniel327 View Post
    You have a computer in the kitchen?

Rofl

I didn't expect much from them or plan to keep them. I just had them as a transition while I moved houses. Im on my 5th rack/stands in just over a year. I spend too much money on this stuff.

How come the racks you have break down so much? I thought they're supposed to be sturdy as hell since they're just a square of metal

How come the racks you have break down so much? I thought they're supposed to be sturdy as hell since they're just a square of metal
    They don't break. They are sturdy as hell. My situation is a bit different then the average bear.

I had a Maxim Rack (Local Hamilton dealer), sold it and moved. Bought the POS Amstaff to lift in my finished basement while we got settled, beat it to death easily and sold it to a guy in Niagara Falls via Kijiji. I Opened GarageIron and became privy to wholesale pricing and "Demo units". Bought York FTS stands for the garage, had a customer buy them as a discounted demo unit. Found a PowerTec on Kijiji, Had a customer buy it within 3 weeks during an unrelated purchase. Bought a Rogue R3.

They don't break. They are sturdy as hell. My situation is a bit different then the average bear.

I had a Maxim Rack (Local Hamilton dealer), sold it and moved. Bought the POS Amstaff to lift in my finished basement while we got settled, beat it to death easily and sold it to a guy in Niagara Falls via Kijiji. I Opened GarageIron and became privy to wholesale pricing and "Demo units". Bought York FTS stands for the garage, had a customer buy them as a discounted demo unit. Found a PowerTec on Kijiji, Had a customer buy it within 3 weeks during an unrelated purchase. Bought a Rogue R3.
    Did you go over the max capacity of it? Btw I'm thinking of getting the AmStaff TP006D power rack brand new, ever heard of it?

Did you go over the max capacity of it? Btw I'm thinking of getting the AmStaff TP006D power rack brand new, ever heard of it?
    If the max capacity was 100lbs, then yes.

If it has the name AMstaff, Strength Armour, or MAstiff on it, its junk.

iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    One of these^ Barbell, bench, some plates and your set.
    Would I need mats if I do deadlifts or other 'out of cage' exercises? I live in Canada and I'm trying to find the cheapest way to set all this up without putting my safety at risk.[/QUOTE]

I'm new here but I have that above power rack (like many other on here by my research).

I would recommend stall mats / thick rubber mats (12-18mm) to protect the floor for dead lifts.

The rack is very good for the money...

Originally Posted by iportal View Post
    Would I need mats if I do deadlifts or other 'out of cage' exercises? I live in Canada and I'm trying to find the cheapest way to set all this up without putting my safety at risk.
    I'm new here but I have that above power rack (like many other on here by my research).

I would recommend stall mats / thick rubber mats (12-18mm) to protect the floor for dead lifts.

The rack is very good for the money...[/QUOTE]

GarageIron says it busted under 100 lbs :s. And I'm thinking of getting the amstaff TP006D power rack but he also says all amstaff stuff is junk so now i dunno what to get without breakin the bank

The rack is very good for the money...
    GarageIron says it busted under 100 lbs :s. And I'm thinking of getting the amstaff TP006D power rack but he also says all amstaff stuff is junk so now i dunno what to get without breakin the bank[/QUOTE]

Just get something better but used. You can find a Powertec somewhere for $200-300. I don't know that rack in particular, but I've seen its big brother (The TR023), and I bet I could flatten it with a set of steel toe boots. Look, I'm not an an "Elitist" that insists you have everything top notch, I get it. Money is money and nobody wants to give it away or spend more than they need... but you aways get what you pay for. Nobody buys from this place more than once. Its a $250 power rack... its going to be load of crap. I base that on my experience as a customer there. Steer clear man.

GarageIron says it busted under 100 lbs :s. And I'm thinking of getting the amstaff TP006D power rack but he also says all amstaff stuff is junk so now i dunno what to get without breakin the bank
    Just get something better but used. You can find a Powertec somewhere for $200-300. I don't know that rack in particular, but I've seen its big brother (The TR023), and I bet I could flatten it with a set of steel toe boots. Look, I'm not an an "Elitist" that insists you have everything top notch, I get it. Money is money and nobody wants to give it away or spend more than they need... but you aways get what you pay for. Nobody buys from this place more than once. Its a $250 power rack... its going to be load of crap. I base that on my experience as a customer there. Steer clear man.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you've said man. If I can recall correctly you live in Canada right? Maybe Toronto? Could you recommend me a rack around the 250 range that I can pick up in Toronto or order online with free shipping? usually the shipping for these things makes buying one not worth it.

Just get something better but used. You can find a Powertec somewhere for $200-300. I don't know that rack in particular, but I've seen its big brother (The TR023), and I bet I could flatten it with a set of steel toe boots. Look, I'm not an an "Elitist" that insists you have everything top notch, I get it. Money is money and nobody wants to give it away or spend more than they need... but you aways get what you pay for. Nobody buys from this place more than once. Its a $250 power rack... its going to be load of crap. I base that on my experience as a customer there. Steer clear man.

I agree with everything you've said man. If I can recall correctly you live in Canada right? Maybe Toronto? Could you recommend me a rack around the 250 range that I can pick up in Toronto or order online with free shipping? usually the shipping for these things makes buying one not worth it.
    Unfortunately, No. I can't. It just does not exist. If you are near Toronto, I suggest you find a good deal in the US this Friday and have it shipped to a US address company just over the border. Then just drive over and pick it up.