Cloper8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cutting for the first time and looking to compete soon. Advice?

Hey guys,

So after about 7 months of bulking I went from 195 pounds to 215 pounds. I've decided to try cutting now and I have been for the last month and a half. I was 215 and I'm around 205 right now. I've began to watch my carb intake over the last month and a half but not really strictly count calories or anything. I'm looking to compete here in the next couple months.

Just some general questions. What do you guys think I'm at BF % wise (I have no official way of measuring), what needs improvement from my pictures, and I've done so much research on carb cutting but I'm still confused. How many carbs should I eat at 205 while trying to cut to about 195? Should you just keep your carb intake to complex carbs or are simple carbs okay directly after intense workouts? Is whole-wheat bread okay or should it be completely cut out? What is a good time frame to lose the next 10 pounds? What's up with the extremely low-carb days then a day or two of "carbing up" how is this helpful?

Any advice helps!

I've obviously increased cardio a ton but my concerns are more with my physique and the diet part of cutting.

Thanks!
    Attached Images

jusmith4 is just really nice. (+1000) jusmith4 is just really nice. (+1000) jusmith4 is just really nice. (+1000) jusmith4 is just really nice. (+1000) jusmith4 is just really nice. (+1000) jusmith4 is just really nice. (+1000) jusmith4 is just really nice. (+1000) jusmith4 is just really nice. (+1000) jusmith4 is just really nice. (+1000) jusmith4 is just really nice. (+1000) jusmith4 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Tough to tell from pictures but I would estimate your somewhere between 5-8% depending on method of measurement. Lets call it 6% for ease of calculation. According to ACSM, as a resistance training athlete your body requires 1.8-2 g/kgLBM protein intake. 205 lbs=93.18 kg. comes out to 167-190g protein. If you want to cut down but arent in a huge hurry, I would start with 2500 calories for a person your size and activity level. assuming 190g protein, and 100g of fat (omega 3 sources), this leaves 210 grams carbs. I would lean towards complex carbs mostly if i were you. Look for food high in fiber. hope some of this helps!

Originally Posted by Cloper8 View Post
    Hey guys,

So after about 7 months of bulking I went from 195 pounds to 215 pounds. I've decided to try cutting now and I have been for the last month and a half. I was 215 and I'm around 205 right now. I've began to watch my carb intake over the last month and a half but not really strictly count calories or anything. I'm looking to compete here in the next couple months.

Just some general questions. What do you guys think I'm at BF % wise (I have no official way of measuring), what needs improvement from my pictures, and I've done so much research on carb cutting but I'm still confused. How many carbs should I eat at 205 while trying to cut to about 195? Should you just keep your carb intake to complex carbs or are simple carbs okay directly after intense workouts? Is whole-wheat bread okay or should it be completely cut out? What is a good time frame to lose the next 10 pounds? What's up with the extremely low-carb days then a day or two of "carbing up" how is this helpful?

Any advice helps!

I've obviously increased cardio a ton but my concerns are more with my physique and the diet part of cutting.

Thanks!

Thank you it does help a ton!

Originally Posted by jusmith4 View Post
    Tough to tell from pictures but I would estimate your somewhere between 5-8% depending on method of measurement. Lets call it 6% for ease of calculation. According to ACSM, as a resistance training athlete your body requires 1.8-2 g/kgLBM protein intake. 205 lbs=93.18 kg. comes out to 167-190g protein. If you want to cut down but arent in a huge hurry, I would start with 2500 calories for a person your size and activity level. assuming 190g protein, and 100g of fat (omega 3 sources), this leaves 210 grams carbs. I would lean towards complex carbs mostly if i were you. Look for food high in fiber. hope some of this helps!

JMAG90 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JMAG90 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JMAG90 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JMAG90 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JMAG90 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JMAG90 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JMAG90 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JMAG90 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JMAG90 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JMAG90 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JMAG90 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jusmith4 View Post
    Not saying everything here is wrong, but I can safely say anyone who thinks you are at 6% bodyfat is an idiot.

Let's do some simple math. If you were 6% bodyfat at 205 lbs, then you would be holding 12.3 lbs of fat on your ENTIRE body, including the fat that surrounds your organs. So according to this guy, if you were to lose another 10 lbs of fat you would be dead. Seems legit.

You need to get accustomed to counting your calories and macros seriously if you want to compete soon. Also, you are going to have to lose a good amount more than 10 lbs to get competition lean. So, you know, good luck with the whole death thing.
    Watchout your neg comments princess

Oh I know I'm not 6 %. There was only one time in my life when I was 6 percent (bod pod tested) and that was coming off track season and full swing into division I college football workouts. I'm probably really around 10 or 11 right now.

Originally Posted by JMAG90 View Post
    Not saying everything here is wrong, but I can safely say anyone who thinks you are at 6% bodyfat is an idiot.

Let's do some simple math. If you were 6% bodyfat at 205 lbs, then you would be holding 12.3 lbs of fat on your ENTIRE body, including the fat that surrounds your organs. So according to this guy, if you were to lose another 10 lbs of fat you would be dead. Seems legit.

You need to get accustomed to counting your calories and macros seriously if you want to compete soon. Also, you are going to have to lose a good amount more than 10 lbs to get competition lean. So, you know, good luck with the whole death thing.

bjones0016 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    [QUOTE=Cloper8;1088975913]Hey guys,

Any advice helps!

I've obviously increased cardio a ton but my concerns are more with my physique and the diet part

It depends on the look you want. If your trying to get shredded then yes no bread white or weight? Complex carbs is what you should be eating throughout the day period if your trying to tone. They don't cause a spike in sugar levels and also they take longer to digest therefore aiding with the body's energy production.

HatesCutting is on a distinguished road. (+10) HatesCutting is on a distinguished road. (+10) HatesCutting is on a distinguished road. (+10) HatesCutting is on a distinguished road. (+10) HatesCutting is on a distinguished road. (+10) HatesCutting is on a distinguished road. (+10) HatesCutting is on a distinguished road. (+10) HatesCutting is on a distinguished road. (+10) HatesCutting is on a distinguished road. (+10) HatesCutting is on a distinguished road. (+10) HatesCutting is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Monitor your caloric intake or ditch your idea of getting ready for competition. Eat whatever you want, keep calories below maintenance for a sustained period.

MercurialXIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) MercurialXIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) MercurialXIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) MercurialXIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) MercurialXIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) MercurialXIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) MercurialXIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) MercurialXIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) MercurialXIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) MercurialXIII is on a distinguished road. (+10) MercurialXIII is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    honestly you look 9-10% to me