Thread: Keto diet help

Deathdealer28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Keto diet help

Hey guys

I'm going to be starting the keto this Monday and need some info for me starting as I'm getting different answers researching and my heads pickled. So I have 3 meals a day. Meat and eggs no carbs at all. After gym I'm allowed a protein shake.

Now am I meant to be weighing my food? For example I go to make scrambled eggs. I use 6 eggs so I would add that to my app for calorie counting. To add butter would I need to weigh it first. If I'm going to fry something how do I know how much fat is in the oil cuz I was just going to use ordinary cooking oil or would I get one of the light sprays instead?

For day 5.5 is it better to carb up on complex carbs or simple carbs just? Cuz I want to avoid bloating and feeling like crap.

Cardio is moderate pace for 30 minutes a day?

I used a calculator and it said that I need to be taking in 2500 calories a day, 170 grams of protein and 180 grams of fat. Just wondering were I would get most of the fat from? Butter n cheese?

Any help would b greatly appreciated

Cheers

Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Basic list of keto foods: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post644048583

Make sure to include some roughage. Remember fiber doesn't count. Lettuce, romaine, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, avocado, etc. All good.
    www.squidoo.com/keto-diet

Was 300+ lbs.
    Logs
    90 day XAT-7 and Cardio Igniter forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146779723
    TEST-PEAK http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149177173
    2013 BB.com challenge log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150876933

Sugar Alcohols...Explained http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151110953

Metabolic advantage of keto diet: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153834101

MNnat is not very well liked. (-100) MNnat is not very well liked. (-100) MNnat is not very well liked. (-100) MNnat is not very well liked. (-100) MNnat is not very well liked. (-100) MNnat is not very well liked. (-100) MNnat is not very well liked. (-100) MNnat is not very well liked. (-100) MNnat is not very well liked. (-100) MNnat is not very well liked. (-100) MNnat is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Deathdealer28 View Post
    Hey guys

I'm going to be starting the keto this Monday and need some info for me starting as I'm getting different answers researching and my heads pickled. So I have 3 meals a day. Meat and eggs no carbs at all. After gym I'm allowed a protein shake.

Now am I meant to be weighing my food? For example I go to make scrambled eggs. I use 6 eggs so I would add that to my app for calorie counting. To add butter would I need to weigh it first. If I'm going to fry something how do I know how much fat is in the oil cuz I was just going to use ordinary cooking oil or would I get one of the light sprays instead?

For day 5.5 is it better to carb up on complex carbs or simple carbs just? Cuz I want to avoid bloating and feeling like crap.

I used a calculator and it said that I need to be taking in 2500 calories a day, 170 grams of protein and 180 grams of fat. Just wondering were I would get most of the fat from? Butter n cheese?

Cheers
    6 full eggs at once is prob too much, consider 2 full eggs + just egg whites. For fat, use tablespoon or teaspoon measurements. Besides you're egg yokes, butter, think about using nuts as your other source of fats...they are high in omega 3 & 6 fats, which are very good for you. I agree with Grifts, add roughage each meal if you can, very important and doesn't count against you. If you need help in measuring your protein or carbs (on your carb days), I have created a simple app available for iOS or Android you can download for free from Apple App store or Google Play - just search for Bodybuilding Food, and the app should pop up in the search results; it's call Bodybuilding Food Calculator. Good luck!

Tevexs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tevexs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tevexs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tevexs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tevexs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tevexs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tevexs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tevexs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tevexs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tevexs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tevexs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Deathdealer28 View Post
    Hey guys

Cheers
    by day 5.5 do you mean you're going to be carbing up during your first week? You should wait at least 2 weeks before your first carb-up, otherwise you're not going to ever be fully fat-adapted and you'll be in a constant cycle of starting induction flu over and over.

As for weighing, you can get a decent scale online to measure out things like butter, and I even measure my cuts of meat on it as well for accuracy. For liquids or things of the sort I use a tablespoon/teaspoon measuring cup set. Just fill up the tablespoon full of whatever it may be (heavy cream, EVOO, etc.) and if its something like mayo or ranch dressing, take a knife and kinda even off the top.

For your carb-up day the type of carbs is mostly preference, but if you don't wanna feel like crap I'd do simple carbs for the first half and complex for the latter. Either way you're going to feel like crap because of water retention, but starting with simple carbs will fill glycogen stores faster and ending with complex will help to avoid spill over into body fat. Cardio is best kept at low intensity which is around 60-75% maximum heart rate for 30-45mins for optimum release and ulitization of fatty acids.

I also agree with Mnat on the nuts. If you find yourself low on fat, pecans are ideal. A 30g serving size has 22g of fat, 3g protein, and just over 1 net gram of carbs. Cheese, mayo, heavy cream, butter, oils are all good for keto, although watch your cheese intake as there are trace carbs in most cheeses. Ideally, consider each oz of cheese to have 1 carb to be safe imo.

Deathdealer28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Tevexs View Post
    by day 5.5 do you mean you're going to be carbing up during your first week? You should wait at least 2 weeks before your first carb-up, otherwise you're not going to ever be fully fat-adapted and you'll be in a constant cycle of starting induction flu over and over.

As for weighing, you can get a decent scale online to measure out things like butter, and I even measure my cuts of meat on it as well for accuracy. For liquids or things of the sort I use a tablespoon/teaspoon measuring cup set. Just fill up the tablespoon full of whatever it may be (heavy cream, EVOO, etc.) and if its something like mayo or ranch dressing, take a knife and kinda even off the top.

For your carb-up day the type of carbs is mostly preference, but if you don't wanna feel like crap I'd do simple carbs for the first half and complex for the latter. Either way you're going to feel like crap because of water retention, but starting with simple carbs will fill glycogen stores faster and ending with complex will help to avoid spill over into body fat. Cardio is best kept at low intensity which is around 60-75% maximum heart rate for 30-45mins for optimum release and ulitization of fatty acids.

I also agree with Mnat on the nuts. If you find yourself low on fat, pecans are ideal. A 30g serving size has 22g of fat, 3g protein, and just over 1 net gram of carbs. Cheese, mayo, heavy cream, butter, oils are all good for keto, although watch your cheese intake as there are trace carbs in most cheeses. Ideally, consider each oz of cheese to have 1 carb to be safe imo.
    Unfortunately I can't eat nuts. Hate them with a passion and can't even force myself. I'm sticking to the diet very easily. It's easily the greatest diet that I have been able to stick to with ease and I'm finding I'm not missing carb food. I was following the guide on here which said to carb up after day 5.5 but I had seen other posts which said about leaving it 2/3 weeks. So ill take the advice on board and stick to it for another few weeks and see when a carb up is required. Just don't want it affecting my energy levels for work outs and means I can order some dextrose for when I'm going to carb up because its very hard to buy in a shop in the uk for some reason. Cheers for the help guys

Registered User transformerchad's Avatar
    transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000)
    im on day 5 keto and not even in ketosis , its annoying ... net carbs have been under 20grams a day except for yesterday it was 40-50g because i ate lots of nuts and seeds seeing it was my leg day . im def carbing up after 14 days total

peter_midnight is on a distinguished road. (+10) peter_midnight is on a distinguished road. (+10) peter_midnight is on a distinguished road. (+10) peter_midnight is on a distinguished road. (+10) peter_midnight is on a distinguished road. (+10) peter_midnight is on a distinguished road. (+10) peter_midnight is on a distinguished road. (+10) peter_midnight is on a distinguished road. (+10) peter_midnight is on a distinguished road. (+10) peter_midnight is on a distinguished road. (+10) peter_midnight is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MNnat View Post
    6 full eggs at once is prob too much, consider 2 full eggs + just egg whites. For fat, use tablespoon or teaspoon measurements. Besides you're egg yokes, butter, think about using nuts as your other source of fats...they are high in omega 3 & 6 fats, which are very good for you. I agree with Grifts, add roughage each meal if you can, very important and doesn't count against you. If you need help in measuring your protein or carbs (on your carb days), I have created a simple app available for iOS or Android you can download for free from Apple App store or Google Play - just search for Bodybuilding Food, and the app should pop up in the search results; it's call Bodybuilding Food Calculator. Good luck!
    I don't know why 6 whole eggs would be a problem. Eating egg whites is a waste of time on keto IMO. I consume 4 raw whole eggs per day myself on low carb days. Also, grass fed butter is probably better in omega 3s than nuts (you don't really need to try to get omega 6 fats, most people get them through normal dieting). Personally, I would wait a month, but most here have gotten away with 2 weeks to carb up. The reason why I would wait a month is anecdotal, but I did a low carb experiment for a month last year and really didn't start feeling different until around week 3. Then I went another week just to make sure it wasn't just my imagination.