mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile New to training. Got my diet better controlled, now working on supplements...

Hey guys, I posted on here not too long ago when i first started weight training and controlling my diet. I got a lot of great advice and am on track to lose 1lb per week till i reach my target weight. I did some research and found my TDEE to be about 2500 cal/day to maintain my current weight. I've been tracking my intake for the last six weeks and run about 2200 cal/day, 59g fat, 285 g carbs, and 166 g protein. I am now changing my routine around to include higher weights and fewer reps, and i've seen some fair results so far. I'm looking to continue on the build but get rid of the spare tire that i'm still carrying around. I am changing my supplements as well and would like some feedback on them:

Morning: Spring Valley Ultra Men's Pak (vitamin, fish oil, d3, saw palmetto and L-argine), BCAA 1000 mg, Glutamine 1000 MG, Six Star Testo Booster 1 Cap
    Pre work out: N.O. Fury 3 caps, Body Fortress Creatine drink, BCAA 1000 mg, Melatonin .5 mg
    Post work out: BCAA 1000 mg, Glutamine 1000 mg, Body Fortress Whey Protein 1 scoop, Body Fortress Creatine Drink
    Before bed: Glutamine 1000 mg, Six Star Testo Booster 1 cap

thanks for any suggestions!

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by mmcdjs View Post
    59g fat,
    Fat intake is too low; should be at least a half-gram per pound of body weight (for you, about 90 gms/day).

I don't usually get involved in point-by-point supplement critique threads, but you list so much stuff here, maybe I can save you some money (that you can then spend on something that will actually benefit you--steak), or at least get you to think a bit more critically about what and why you're supplementing.

Morning: Spring Valley Ultra Men's Pak (vitamin, fish oil, d3, saw palmetto and L-argine),
    Depending on what this costs you, you could probably do better with just a name-brand multi-vitamin, and some separate fish oil.

Look at the amount(s) of the ingredients you're getting with each dose of the brand you list; you may find that it's not enought to actually provide any real benefit.

BCAA 1000 mg,
    If daily protein sufficiency is being met, you're already getting adequate BCAAs from your regular meals.

Glutamine 1000 MG,
    Of no benefit for muscle building.

Six Star Testo Booster 1 Cap
    Completely useless. If it 'boosed' hormone levels, it would be ruled a drug by FDA and thus not qualified for OTC sale in this country.

Pre work out: N.O....
    Most of these-type supplements contain l-arginine to 'increase' nitric oxide in the body, and thus supposedely increase blood flow. The problem with this is that l-arginine can't be taken orally in large enough quantities to do anything. Most of these-type products provide a 'boost' by including a dose of caffeine, something you could probably get cheaper by simply drinking a cup of coffee before training.

.... Creatine drink...
    Providing it's high-quality, Creatine Monohydrate should be on everyone's 'must-have' supplement list. It's proof of benefit (and safety) has been long-proven in countless clinical tests.

Keep in mind that none of the more-expensive versions of Creatine have shown any additional benefit over regular, high quality CM.

.... Whey Protein
    An excellent means of getting adequate daily protein if you have difficulty eating enough regular-food protein sources throughout the day.

Once again, go with name-brand products so you actually get what you think you're paying for. Off-brands are many times made up of ingredients sourced offshore, and are subject to contamination and/or being 'cut' with inert substances.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

FiveofClubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) FiveofClubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) FiveofClubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) FiveofClubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) FiveofClubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) FiveofClubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) FiveofClubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) FiveofClubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) FiveofClubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) FiveofClubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) FiveofClubs will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What's the rationale for taking melatonin pre-workout? That stuff makes me very sleepy!

mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Melatonin

Originally Posted by FiveofClubs View Post
    What's the rationale for taking melatonin pre-workout? That stuff makes me very sleepy!
    There have been some information that .5 mg of melatonin prior to work out helps promote higher GH levels. It does make me sleepy if I take too much, but I'm only taking a small amount. The study that I read said that any more than .5 mg will do the opposite on GH levels though.

Thanks for the reply! I'm having problems getting my 2000 cal/day as it is, seems like i'm eating all the time! you can see my daily log at livestrong.com username: mmcdjs. Any suggestions are appreciated. I'd love to be able to continue gaining size and stop taking 20 pills every day!

I don't usually get involved in point-by-point supplement critique threads, but you list so much stuff here, maybe I can save you some money (that you can then spend on something that will actually benefit you--steak), or at least get you to think a bit more critically about what and why you're supplementing.

Depending on what this costs you, you could probably do better with just a name-brand multi-vitamin, and some separate fish oil.

Look at the amount(s) of the ingredients you're getting with each dose of the brand you list; you may find that it's not enought to actually provide any real benefit.

If daily protein sufficiency is being met, you're already getting adequate BCAAs from your regular meals.

Of no benefit for muscle building.

Completely useless. If it 'boosed' hormone levels, it would be ruled a drug by FDA and thus not qualified for OTC sale in this country.

Most of these-type supplements contain l-arginine to 'increase' nitric oxide in the body, and thus supposedely increase blood flow. The problem with this is that l-arginine can't be taken orally in large enough quantities to do anything. Most of these-type products provide a 'boost' by including a dose of caffeine, something you could probably get cheaper by simply drinking a cup of coffee before training.

Providing it's high-quality, Creatine Monohydrate should be on everyone's 'must-have' supplement list. It's proof of benefit (and safety) has been long-proven in countless clinical tests.

Keep in mind that none of the more-expensive versions of Creatine have shown any additional benefit over regular, high quality CM.

An excellent means of getting adequate daily protein if you have difficulty eating enough regular-food protein sources throughout the day.

Once again, go with name-brand products so you actually get what you think you're paying for. Off-brands are many times made up of ingredients sourced offshore, and are subject to contamination and/or being 'cut' with inert substances.[/QUOTE]

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by mmcdjs View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I'm having problems getting my 2000 cal/day as it is, seems like i'm eating all the time! you can see my daily log at livestrong.com username: mmcdjs. Any suggestions are appreciated. I'd love to be able to continue gaining size and stop taking 20 pills every day!
    If meeting your calorie requirement is hard for you, include more high-calorie food choices in your daily intake.

Fattier cuts of red meat, peanut butter, nuts, whole milk and other full-fat dairy items, avocados, and olive oil on anything you can stand to eat it on can really boost your calorie count quickly.

Just be sure to weigh/measure/track your calories and macros so you stay on-course.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733