fitpro88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Looking to do first show in about 10 months or so just wanted some advice

Hey guys im shooting to be ready for my first bodybuilding show in about 10 months. Wanted some advice at what weight class you think would be best for me and what are the actual weights for each class, like i know the lightweight class tops out at 154 i believe because thats where my brother competed at but thats all i know of. My stats are: height- 5'6 1/2, weight- 174, bodyfat currently at 6.3% while bulking ( my metabolism is retardedly fast which makes it hard to put on weight ) but i am striving to be about the 190 weight range before i cut down for the show. I attatched a few photos if that will help for getting any advice..thanks in advance any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images

TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Good job wanting to compete. I'm prepping for my first show as we speak.

Don't worry about what weight class you'll be in just yet. You're bulking at the moment, which is wise. Continue that, and just try to get as big as you can while staying lean. Focus on the look of your body and not the numbers on the scale. Because if you look good, you look good...no matter what weight class you're in.

As far as putting on weight being difficult, I hear this all the time, but when it comes down to it, it's just a numbers game. Start tracking your daily intake, find your macros that will allow you to bulk at a comfortable pace, and then to cut, just reverse that process. Weight gain is dictated solely by caloric surplus, and my guess is...you just aren't eating enough calories. And if you don't know how many calories you're taking in each day, then that is exactly where you should start.

Find a show. Set the date. Commit yourself.

You have a good lookin frame bro. You have clearly put work in. Good job, and keep grinding hard. Just remember, show prep is won or lost at the kitchen table.

ChrisElkins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisElkins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisElkins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisElkins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisElkins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisElkins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisElkins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisElkins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisElkins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisElkins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisElkins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    What did you use to measure your body fat? I think 6.3% is underestimated. I would guess closer to 8.5 if not higher.

sculpt07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sculpt07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sculpt07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sculpt07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sculpt07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sculpt07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sculpt07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sculpt07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sculpt07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sculpt07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sculpt07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you are 6% thats impressive dude.

I would say with a bulk to 190 you might put on 1-4 lbs of muscle naturally. This means you would be around 165-170 in stage weight.

NGA\IFPA Pro Bodybuilder fltallpaul's Avatar
    fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You are in a great position currently. If you put on 16lbs just for the sake of saying your are 190 understand that you will have to take all of that off. In 10 months you can add some size but that would be more fat than anything. In your position I would be slowly adding calories in, trying to remain relatively lean while adding weight to all your lifts. Strengthening your metabolic rate while not adding unnecessary fat will make prep much easier.
    Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

Core Nutritionals/Outwork Apparel Athlete

NGA & IFPA Pro Bodybuilder

MNnat is not very well liked. (-100) MNnat is not very well liked. (-100) MNnat is not very well liked. (-100) MNnat is not very well liked. (-100) MNnat is not very well liked. (-100) MNnat is not very well liked. (-100) MNnat is not very well liked. (-100) MNnat is not very well liked. (-100) MNnat is not very well liked. (-100) MNnat is not very well liked. (-100) MNnat is not very well liked. (-100)
    Great for you preparing 10 months out. Suggestion would be be stick around 175 or even slightly less until you get to out the 4 months out, BUT you still can add in some calories very moderately week by week. Those calories should boost your metabolism and help add muscle.

Originally Posted by ChrisElkins View Post
    What did you use to measure your body fat? I think 6.3% is underestimated. I would guess closer to 8.5 if not higher.
    Used the same thing with the same person testing it for the past 3 years...skin-fold calipers.

Originally Posted by TakedaShingen View Post
    Good job wanting to compete. I'm prepping for my first show as we speak.

Don't worry about what weight class you'll be in just yet. You're bulking at the moment, which is wise. Continue that, and just try to get as big as you can while staying lean. Focus on the look of your body and not the numbers on the scale. Because if you look good, you look good...no matter what weight class you're in.

As far as putting on weight being difficult, I hear this all the time, but when it comes down to it, it's just a numbers game. Start tracking your daily intake, find your macros that will allow you to bulk at a comfortable pace, and then to cut, just reverse that process. Weight gain is dictated solely by caloric surplus, and my guess is...you just aren't eating enough calories. And if you don't know how many calories you're taking in each day, then that is exactly where you should start.

Find a show. Set the date. Commit yourself.

You have a good lookin frame bro. You have clearly put work in. Good job, and keep grinding hard. Just remember, show prep is won or lost at the kitchen table.
    Note taken...thanks for the advice bro. I've guestimated my cals in for the longest time ever since after wrestling season and its done me well but yeah your right..for a show i need to be exact.

Well for me following behind my brother Joe Pacello who got his Pro Card in '99 I just don't see myself as big enough muscle wise still right now to be able to compete and win regardless it being my first show or not thats why i'm still trying to give myself more time to add on some lean mass. 190 is just a goal weight i had set for myself to be at adding only lean mass on but we'll see. Appreciate all the replies gents
    Last edited by fitpro88; 11-15-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: typo