Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BritishPL is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishPL is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishPL is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishPL is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishPL is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishPL is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishPL is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishPL is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishPL is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishPL is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishPL is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Strongman training journal - BritishPL

Just some current stats:

Current Weight: Around 217
    Best Squat: 150kgx5
    Best Deadlift: 240kgx2
    Best Bench: 130kgx1, 120kgx3
    Best FTOH log: 90kg

Goals: Improve log, Squat + Deadlift. Compete in my first strongman competition.

Still Trying to find a training routine that works for me. Going to start implementing monthly deloads, stop going to failure and increase training frequency on the big lifts.

BritishPL is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishPL is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishPL is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishPL is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishPL is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishPL is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishPL is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishPL is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishPL is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishPL is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishPL is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Last week I de-loaded, here are the workouts I did this week.

Tuesday

Squat
    Warm-up
    Work-set: 130kgx7
    Dynamic sets: 90kg 5x3

Log
    Warm-ups
    Work-set: 60kgx6
    Repetition sets: 5x10 40kg

Thursday

Deadlift
    Warm-ups
    Work-set: 190kgx8
    Dynamic sets: 140kg 6x3

Bench
    Warm-ups: 90kgx10
    Dynamic sets: 60kg 5x5

Saturday

Squat
    Warm-ups
    Work-sets: 120kg 3x5

Log
    Warm-ups
    Work-sets: 52.5kg 3x5

Deadlift
    Warm-ups
    Work-sets: 170kg 3x5

Close-grip bench
    Warm-ups
    Work-sets: 90kg 3x5

Focusing on higher frequency for the main lifts, low volume, no assistance work this week. Trying to also break my habit of always going to failure on my work sets, I would usually hit a 1,3, or 5RM, now I will only do this every 4 weeks and on the other weeks I will leave 2-3 reps in the tank on all sets.

Monday 12th November

Squats+Overhead 80%

Squat
    5x3@137.5kg

Strict Log
    5x3@ 65kg

Hack Squat
    4x10

Seated shoulder press machine (nuetral grip)
    5x10

Everything felt pretty strong. Didn't struggle with any of the reps.

Wednesday 14th November

Deadlifts and bench

Deadlift
    200kg4x3
    200kg1x8 (equal to PR) could of got atleast 10

Bench
    105kg 5x3

WG pulldowns
    3x12

Decline sit-ups
    3x12

Feeling strong, especially on deadlifts.

Friday 16th November

Weights around 60% of 1rm. Working on form, speed and just getting in extra volume

Squat
    100kg 5x5

Strict Log
    50kg 5x5

Deadlift
    150kg 5x5

Paused bench
    80kg 5x5

Nice and easy

Monday 19th November

Squats + Strict log 90% of previous 1rm's.

Squats
    Warm-ups
    152.5kg 3x2
    160kgx2 - Had atleast another rep in me, think I could of equalled my PR or even broken it today.

Strict log
    Warm-ups
    72.5kg 3x2
    75kgx2 - Again felt like I had another rep in me and could of equalled or broken my PR

Pushpress log
    75kgx6, easy

Hack Squat machine
    4x8-12

2 days to recover now before deads and Bench on Thursday, If that workout goes like today then I will have to make the decision of hitting new PR's next week or dropping the numbers back down as planned.

anonymous
    Mirin your deadlift brah, subbed to this thread.

Originally Posted by Lukeeeee View Post
    Mirin your deadlift brah, subbed to this thread.
    Thanks man

Wednesday 21st November

Was going to wait 2 days between the squats on monday and doing deads, but I decided to just have 1 day rest and lift today.

Deadlifts and Bench 90%+

Deadlifts
    Warm-ups
    225kg 2x2 beltless
    230kg 1x2
    240kgx3 PB - 4 might have been possible but left hamstring wasn't feeling great so didn't want to risk it.

Bench
    Warm-ups
    117.5kg 3x2
    125kgx3 PB

Awesome session today! Beating 2 long-standing PB's. Will do some light strongman events training on friday or saturday. Might not be able to train next week because Il be working away for the week.

Fridays workout

A few events. Light technique/gpp work

Yoke - 10 metres turn, back 10 metres
    170kg x 5
    210kg x 1
    170kg x 1

Sled drags - 10m forward, 10m backwards
    100kg 4x20m

Farmers
    60kg per hand 4x20m

Small loading medley (100kg sandbag, 2x80kg barrels)
    3 rounds

Everything felt pretty good.

Things are starting to go well recently and I think iv found a routine that works well for me, however im starting a new job that will most likely involve working away regularly and so sticking to a routine will be difficult as I might not always be able to hit the gym depending on where I stop away.

Monday 26th November

Squats
    Warm-ups
    8x2 @ 140kg

Strict log
    ?x2 @ 67.5kg
    ?x2 @ 60kg

Shoulder was hurting and so log didn't go well, strength just generally felt bad on this. Didn't feel too bad on the squats, form felt a little off and not very explosive but not too bad. Hopefully my shoulder wont hold me back on bench.

Wednesday 28th November

Deadlifts
    Warm-ups
    205kg 7x2
    205kgx6

Paused Benchpress
    Warm-ups
    3x5 107.5kg

Going to train tomorrow I think, probably do some squats but the weights will depend on how I feel, will try some log but I don't know how my shoulder will be.

Sunday 2nd December

Stretching hips etc using hacksquat machine

Squats
    Work-sets: 6x2@150kg.
    Felt stronger today, goal was 5 sets but decided to do a 6th, could of kept going as this felt easier than Mondays session with 140.

Lunges
    Barx15metres
    40kg 4x15metres
    Ouch my glutes and quads are sore from these! 15 metres was about 6 reps per leg.

Strict Log
    Did some warm-ups but decided to stop at that because shoulder didn't feel right again.

Viking push press
    145kg x 5 - probably a PR. Was told that double dipping is illegal in strongman so I dropped the weight and tried to it with just one dip.
    135kg 2x4

No shoulder problems doing the viking press, I think when strict pressing the first part of the push is causing the pain, and so by push pressing this part of the movement is sort of missed out. Will keep doing this for a few weeks until my shoulder heals.

4th December Tuesday

Deadlifts
    3x2@220kg

Bench
    5x100kg paused reps
    5x110kg paused reps
    4x115kg paused reps
    4x120kg, last rep paused.

Aim was 5 sets of 2 on deadlifts, weight felt heavy today though as my legs and back where still sore from squats and lunges on Sunday. Think I had the strength to manage 5 sets but on the 3rd set I had alot of pain in my right hamstring, it felt like it was going to pull and so I had to stop things there. Im going to have to deload and work back up over the next 3-4 weeks and see how my leg feels.

Friday 7th December

Squats.
    150kg 2x2, 1x3

Viking press
    122.5kg 2x5, 2x8

yoke walk 15 metres
    100kgx2
    140kgx2
    180kgx2
    220kgx1
    242.5kgx1 pb. Timed - just over 10 seconds
    265kgx1 pb
    180kgx1

Hamstring hurt when trying to pull light weights with speed but there was no problems on squats or the yoke. I was sure I could do the 242.5 but it felt easy and so I decided to try take 265 for a ride. Instead it took me for a bit of a ride but i managed the 15 metres without dropping, leg strength was not a problem, i was just struggling with stopping the yoke from swinging, im sure this is just experience and technique.

Monday 10th December

Squats
    140kgx2
    150kgx2
    160kgx1
    165kgx1
    170kgx2 PB - both solid deep reps

Viking press
    100kgx5
    120kg 2x5
    132.5kg 2x6

Forward sled pulls (keeping upright to hit the hamstrings)
    100kg 4x15 metres
    145kg 4x15 metres
    187.5kg 2x15 metres

Light RDL's to get more blood in the hammies

Hamstring not feeling too bad today. Might do some light RDL's next session, for some reason there is less irritation doing these than regular deadlifts, even when using the same weight.

13th december

Did a fair bit of stretching and warming up today before the weights and everything felt good, decided to attempt some rep work with deadlifts and everything felt good.

Deficit deadlifts ( 3.5 inch deficit)
    60kgx5
    100kgx5
    120kgx5
    140kgx5
    160kgx5
    Work set: 180kgx8

Did more reps than usual in my warm-up sets for some extra volume, tried to keep the rest period shorter too.

Snatch-grip deads from 6 inch blocks
    140kg 3x12

Benchpress - dynamic effort
    5x3 with 80kg

Incline DB press
    20kg Db's 2x20. Just feeling the movement as I havn't done these in quite some time.

17th December

Squats
    warm-ups
    120kgx10 - Form started to break down, not used to the high reps

Hack squat
    3x8

Yoke
    130kg 2x15metres
    170kg 2x15metres
    210kg 6x15metres

Pretty good session, upper body training on wednesday.

Wednesday 19th

Log press
    5x2@75kg
    80kgx1
    85kgx1

First time doing log in like 3 weeks and could have probably equalled my PR, technique felt a little off but shoulder wasn't feeling too bad

Strict viking press
    2x15

Benchpress
    110kgx2 (paused reps)
    120kgx1 paused
    125kgx1 paused
    130kgx2 TNG PR

Tricep pushdowns
    4x25

DB side raises
    3x15

Friday 21st December

Speed deads from 4 inch blocks (beltless)
    170kg 8x3

Deadlifts
    170x2
    200kgx5 with belt. Felt pretty easy

RDL's touch and go reps
    120kg 3x12

Lat pulldowns
    4x12

Preacher curl machine
    4x12

Christmas eve workout

Squats
    5x5 @ 130kg

Form and energy weren't great today but still felt pretty strong

Bulgarian split squats
    Bodyweight only 4x12 per leg

Walking Lunges
    Bodyweight only 3x15 per leg

Log cleans
    70kg 3x3
    90kg 2x2
    100kgx1
    110kgx1

Leg extension
    4x15

Good quad pump, enjoyed doing single leg work. Will add a little weight to these exercises next time. Will most likely do some heavy deadlifts next session, if things go well I will try get a video and upload it.

27th December 2012

Heavy Day

Deads
    200kgx3 beltless
    220kgx1 beltless
    230kgx1 beltless
    240kgx1
    245kgx1
    This is a PB in terms of weight, although this isn't the strongest I have ever been on these as the 240x3 that I have done felt much stronger. Will upload video Tomorrow of the 245.

18 Inch pulls
    100kgx15
    160kgx8
    180kgx12
    200kgx12
    220kgx8
    230kgx8

Loading - Joined in with a group of others doing a sandbag + barrels medley.
    Unsure on the weights and heights. Medley had 4 barrels of various weights and a 100kg sandbag. Completed it all the first time, second time I just fatigued and left out the sandbag. Did some work with loading just the two 100kg sandbags. And then finished off with just loading the 125kg barrel on its own. Back, legs, arms where all sore as hell after this.

Very happy to hit the 245kg Deadlift, especially after having problems with my hamstring 3-4 weeks ago and I havn't been above 220kg in the last 5 weeks.

Here's the 245 dead from today. Bodyweight was 96.5kg/212pounds

Saturday 29th December

Still very sore today but wouldnt have had the chance to train tomorrow so I just decided to train and see how things went.

Log press
    72.5kg 5x5

CG bench
    105kg 5x5

Side lateral raises
    5x10

Upright rows SS with Shrugs
    5x10 on both exercises

Hammerstrength nuetral grip chest press
    3x15

Very little energy today and deffinately not recovered as previously mentioned, the last workout absolutely killed me! Technique, co-ordination and general strength just didn't feel great today, however I still got done what I had planned.

2nd December

Squats
    140kg:3,3,5 (add knee sleeves), 3,5

Dynamic deficit deads
    4x2@140kg

Dynamic deads
    4x2@170kg

Glute-ham raises
    3x8

Had some knee pain today, wasn't sure if I would be able to squat but it didn't really feel too bad. Put some knee sleeves on for the last two sets and this felt better, been thinking of buying some of these for a while now.

4th December

Log press
    worked up to 80kgx5.
    67.5kg 3x6
    A different log used today as this is the one il be using in comp, the handles are thicker, the log is longer and the circumfrance is also bigger.

Axle overhead press
    65kg 5x5

Flat CG bench
    100kgx5
    110kg 2x5
    110kg 2x3

Upright rows ss with tricep pushdowns
    4x12 + 4x20

Knee still feels a bit sore and my calve is tight too but hopefully this will resolve itself in the next 2 days.

Monday 7th December

Squats
    120kg 6x3
    140kgx1
    150kgx1
    160kgx1
    Except for the 160x1, all the other sets where done beltless, everything felt strong and fairly easy.

Yoke 10metres + Barrel 10metres medley
    130kg Yoke + 80 barrel - 4 rounds
    170kg Yoke + 80 barrel - 2 rounds
    200kg Yoke + 80 barrel - 2 rounds
    Technique felt good and speed was good.

Hack-squat machine
    4x12

Will probably just go up to 200 on the yoke again next week but il use the 105kg barrel that Il be using in comp, shouldnt be too difficult.

Wednesday 9th

Log press
    80kg 5x3
    85kg x1
    90kg 3x2 Previous Pb was 90x1

Db shoulder press
    25s x10
    30s 2x10

Flat BB bench
    100kg 3x6

Tricep pushdowns
    5x20

Neutral grip chest press
    3x12

Side lateral raises
    4x10

Great session today! Overhead feeling much stronger than I expected, a big improvement from last week. Knee pain almost 100% gone. Right forearm and bicep have been sore today from the barrels on Monday, hopefully this will go soon.

After a great session on Wednesday I was hopeful for another today, but It didn't happen.

Deadlifts
    200kgx3 beltless
    220kgx1 beltless
    230kg 2x1
    180kg 5x2
    Slow off the floor and felt weak, wanted to do triples with 230 but I struggled just to do singles!

Axle tyre deadlift
    205kgx10
    205kg 4x3
    This is only around 2.5 to 3 inches higher than regular deads and of course the bar has no flex at all. However I was very happy with 10 reps. This shows that hamstring and back strength was there today but quads must have been fatigued.

Farmers (10m, drop, back 10m)
    60kg per hand - 3 sets
    100kg per hand - 2 sets

Finished off with some light trap work.

Monday 14th January

Squats
    140kgx3
    150kgx1
    160kgx1
    Add belt
    170kgx1
    175kgx1 PB
    180kgx1 PB
    160kgx3

Yoke
    200kg 2x10 metres
    220kg 1x10 metres
    240kg 2x10 metres
    200kg 1x10 metres

Deadlifts
    Worked up to 220kgx4 without a belt, had another rep in me.

Awesome day, squats and yoke felt great! Decided to throw in some deads too because I was unhappy with what I did last session, looks like friday was just a bad session.

17th January

Large log
    90kg 6x3 PB

Regular log
    90kgx1
    95kgx1 PB
    100kgx1 PB

Strict viking press (also facing away/not leaning into the equipment)
    3x10+

Benchpress
    100kgx5
    120kgx3
    130kgx1
    140kgx1 PB

Rolling Tricep extensions
    17.5kg DB's 4x12

Tricep pushdowns
    4x15

Hammerstrength preacher curls
    4x15

Awesome workout! Got loads done and strength felt great! Will upload the vid of my 100 log, I was surprised I managed this after doing alot of heavy sets before on the other log, but It still looked pretty easy.