Thread: abs

username93 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

abs

hi, I just joined bodybuilding.com today. I started at 213 (almost entirely fat), and after a few months I'm at 159 and still going down. any pointers on how to get more ab definition, and specifically, is the best way to get abs to aim for more weight with low reps, or low wieght with high reps? Thanks for responding.

Jackson1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Best way to get visible abs which look defined is your diet! Abs are visible around 12% and under Body fat, doesn't matter how defined or big your abs are if you have to much fat they will never show. As for exercises to get definition aim for 15-20 reps, try super sets or drop sets. Try work both your lower and upper abs equally and switch up exercises, hope this helps!

Rtettz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rtettz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rtettz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rtettz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rtettz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rtettz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rtettz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rtettz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rtettz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rtettz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rtettz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thats alot of weight like 20k what did you do not eat or somet

KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    There is a term, "abs are made in the kitchen", basically means a good diet is more important with regards to seing your abs than exercises.

Jackson said it well ^^^
    ***Irish Misc Crew***

"It is ok to fail, it is not ok to give up" - Ghandi

"Doesn't mean that much to me, to mean that much to you" - Neil Young

"Cíunas bothár cailín baínne" - Patrick Kavanagh

ChestMonkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChestMonkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChestMonkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChestMonkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChestMonkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChestMonkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChestMonkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChestMonkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChestMonkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChestMonkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChestMonkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Diet diet and more diet
    Sports and bodybuilding all-time #1 fan!
    Proud supporter of the Baltimore Orioles, LA Dodgers and LA Lakers.
    Too much dumbbell press and ******* crew

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    great abs created through training, revealed through diet.

be sure to be hitting your major compounds throughout the week, and direct training to your abs 2-3x a week, hit them like any other muscle group. as for rep range, you can't go wrong with the general 8-12, and i'd even go as high as 15, but i ALWAYS hit them weighted and as heavy as i can go. there is no reason to be doing 20+ reps on any ab exercise unless endurance is your goal.

and of course all that stuff will only yield about 10-20% of your results...the rest will be determined by being in a caloric deficit. diet needs to be about spot on to reveal abs...that doesn't mean eating in a deficit 5-6 days a week, then gorging on the weekends or having 'cheat days' where you go all out. you need to be disciplined and have willpower. good luck.
    Powerlifter convert. Follow on instagram Sharpie_bendingbarbells

Most recent comp lifts: 405/305/475

repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Congrats on the weight loss - that's inspiring stuff.

You're almost there in terms of revealing your abs. Mine started to show around 11% bf. So you need to keep going with the diet, as the others have said.

Definition is all about diet. Size is about weight resistance. As sharpieblet says, 8-12 is best for hypertrophy, like any muscle group.

As you're working your abs, don't forget to work on your lower back as well. Your six pack (rectus abdominus) flexes the spine, your lower back muscles (erector spinae) extend it. You want to keep your opposing muscle groups in balance for good posture and to avoid injury.

Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Do more cardio to reveal your abs. To work them, it's not the amount of weight or reps that's important but more how you squeeze your abs.

Squeeze your abs hard as f***. Let all the air out of your lungs at the top of the crunch and squeeze harder. Hold that squeeze for a few seconds. When going back down don't stop squeezing. Don't ever take tension off of them. When you're done your abs will be gellified and eviscerated.
    7 foot tall crew checking in

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Roidmonster55 View Post
    Do more cardio to reveal your abs. To work them, it's not the amount of weight or reps that's important but more how you squeeze your abs.

Squeeze your abs hard as f***. Let all the air out of your lungs at the top of the crunch and squeeze harder. Hold that squeeze for a few seconds. When going back down don't stop squeezing. Don't ever take tension off of them. When you're done your abs will be gellified and eviscerated.
    cardio will only *HELP* reveal abs if it puts the OP in a caloric deficit, which he should rely on diet for, or at least know his body so well that he can easily put himself in a deficit with his desired level of cardio.

but i think relying on cardio at all for fat loss leads to very hit and miss results. diet always works.

Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by sharpieblet View Post
    cardio will only *HELP* reveal abs if it puts the OP in a caloric deficit, which he should rely on diet for, or at least know his body so well that he can easily put himself in a deficit with his desired level of cardio.

but i think relying on cardio at all for fat loss leads to very hit and miss results. diet always works.
    Most definitely. What I use cardio for is to keep some definition on my abs during a bulk (I'm always bulking). If I notice some flab buildup I increase cardio. However, it does make for a very slow bulk. I just hate losing definition because I tend to be ab OCD
    7 foot tall crew checking in

Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Diet, sets between 15-20 and workout hard on all muscles in your body. You can't spot fat so they more fat free your whole body is the faster you'll see your abs.

DasFelipe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Jfern689 View Post
    Diet, sets between 15-20 and workout hard on all muscles in your body. You can't spot fat so they more fat free your whole body is the faster you'll see your abs.
    What about excessive skin? I know I've lost weight and I suppose I still have some left? 175-155

Originally Posted by Roidmonster55 View Post
    Most definitely. What I use cardio for is to keep some definition on my abs during a bulk (I'm always bulking). If I notice some flab buildup I increase cardio. However, it does make for a very slow bulk. I just hate losing definition because I tend to be ab OCD
    Agreed.cargo is great regardless of goals.it has helped me afford to eat more on this bulk without turning it onto a dreamer bulk like the last couple times.

Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DasFelipe View Post
    What about excessive skin? I know I've lost weight and I suppose I still have some left? 175-155
    It should tighten up over time. Besides if you went from 175 to 155 I doubt you'll have that much execise skin. Also lower the amount of salt you eat.
    Last edited by Jfern689; 11-10-2012 at 05:00 PM.