Registered User bethanydanielle's Avatar
    bethanydanielle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unsure of whey protein serving??!

So I've been drinking whey protein for a short time now, but my husband has been buying it for as long as I've known him. I'm really unsure of the serving size...and I want to make sure I'm taking in the right amount. The label says 1 scoop, 33.35 g. But there are measurements in ounces on the scoop...I know that 1 oz is equal to 33 grams, which is only half of the scooper. Soooo is 1 serving size of this only half of the scooper? It doesn't make sense that they wouldn't specify that on the label. Please helpppp!

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You completely confused me lol. But what I do is weigh out the protein powder on a food scale (throw shaker on there, tare scale, add 64g of powder personally for a 48g protein shake.) If I just tried to eyeball by that scoop I'd be very very wrong I'm sure.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

haha sorry...a serving size is a scoop (33 g). the scooper has measurements in ounces so I did the conversion and 33 g is equal to 1 ounce. buuuut 1 ounce is only half of the scooper...sooo I've been thinking this whole time that 1 scoop was the entire scoop, but i guess it's not? i tried using my scale but it doesn't measure powder very well :/

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I actually never knew that 33g = 1oz, kinda cool. Anyways I guess they figure most people want 2 servings if you're saying that scoop can hold 2 servings. Weird, any protein powder I've ever bought had a scoop roughly the size of ONE serving (I think so they can say this bottle will give you say 100 servings when most people double up anyways and get 50 uses out of it.) You are using a food scale though right? Should be easy if you tare a shaker cup and then dump the powder in.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

yes I used a food scale...I don't know why it won't work :/

birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bethanydanielle View Post
    The label says 1 scoop, 33.35 g. But there are measurements in ounces on the scoop...I know that 1 oz is equal to 33 grams, which is only half of the scooper.
    Volume to weight conversion depends on the mass of the substance. Are you talking about 1fl oz of water equals 33g? If so, the less dense, fluffier protein powder would weight less per same volume. Keep in mind that most protein powders actually mean a "heaping scoop" (unless its an iso - they seem to measure more accurately as they are less fluffy).

To be most accurate, get a gram scale - can't go wrong there. Will also be handy to measure high cal items, like oils and peanut butter, where eyeballing measurements can be off in cals significantly.
    Gym PRs:
    SQ: 360 x 1, BP: 165 x 1, DL: 330 x 2, OHP: 110 x 2

Best meet lifts (raw w/wraps):
    SQ: 365, BP: 155, DL: 350, Elite total of 870 @165

Closest thing to a log, but better cause it's vids! = www.youtube.com/user/birdiefu

birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bethanydanielle View Post
    yes I used a food scale...I don't know why it won't work :/
    To weigh my whey (lol), I usually put a little cup on my scale, tare (zero) it, then put my powder in. My scale is accurate to 0.5g, so it depends on how sensitive and accurate your scale is.

ETA: Unless you originally meant dry ounces (in weight, not volume) to grams conversion - mass doesn't matter then of course, as they are both weight measurements. In which case one dry ounce = 28 grams. However, you can't convert a fluid ounce to weight (grams) so conveniently. Only a fluid ounce of water equals one dry ounce, and for example a fluid ounce of alcohol would weigh less than a dry ounce since it has a lower density.
    Last edited by birdiefu; 11-09-2012 at 06:30 PM.
    Gym PRs:
    SQ: 360 x 1, BP: 165 x 1, DL: 330 x 2, OHP: 110 x 2

Best meet lifts (raw w/wraps):
    SQ: 365, BP: 155, DL: 350, Elite total of 870 @165

Closest thing to a log, but better cause it's vids! = www.youtube.com/user/birdiefu

I'm assuming it's in dry ounces because it's on the protein scooper...it wouldn't make sense for it to be in fluid ounces. I just really want to know exactly how much i'm getting...I guess my food scale isn't sensitive enough to rely on. Just not sure why one scoop full would be 2 servings, weird I think.

srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would suggest looking at the weighted measurement on the nutrition label and weighing your protein inthe scale... A lot of times the scook isn't 100% accurate
    IFBB Bikini Pro
    NFPT & NESTA Certified Personal Trainer
    CEO BamBody Nutrition
    Official Formutech Nutrition Athlete
    Www.formutechnutrition.com

KingBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KingBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KingBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KingBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KingBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KingBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KingBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KingBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KingBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KingBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KingBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You're over thinking it. 99% of bodybuilders disregard insignificant things like that. Lulz @ woman logic. Just take one cotdayumn scoop.

wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000)
    This is what you need in your life OP

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001MF...-fkmr0&pi=SL75

Best scales ever, come with an aluminium bowl and they're really small (and accurate). Oh and pretty cheap too!

Greedman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Greedman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Greedman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Greedman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Greedman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Greedman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Greedman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Greedman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Greedman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Greedman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Greedman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    28g = oz. If it's liquid, it will say ml or fl oz on the container.
    Something like this is useful http://www.ebay.com/itm/220982125232
    1200g is enough for just about anything you'll do with it and 0.1g reading will be useful if you want to measure creatine and such. Change the scale between ounce and gram mode as needed.