mx597turbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question A couple of sprinting questions

I'm considering working sprinting into my routine.

-What is the best way to stretch and warm up for sprints?
    -I will use a track. If I sprint 100m, then walk around the track back to the starting line. is this too much of a rest between sprints?
    -What would be the best way to measure progress in sprinting: going faster over the same distance or sprinting for a longer distance at the same speed?

Thanks for any info.

repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by mx597turbo View Post
    I'm considering working sprinting into my routine.

-What is the best way to stretch and warm up for sprints?
    -I will use a track. If I sprint 100m, then walk around the track back to the starting line. is this too much of a rest between sprints?
    -What would be the best way to measure progress in sprinting: going faster over the same distance or sprinting for a longer distance at the same speed?

Thanks for any info.
    Great to hear from another track runner on this forum

My advice would be to join your local running club. They often provide free coached group sessions, which will give you feedback on your form, which is important in sprinting to optimize performance and minimize injury. Coached group sessions will also introduce you to the different training session like lactic threshold intervals, Fartlek, repeats, hill work, etc. Plus it will give you the opportunity to compete with your club.

Is it 100m specifically that you're interested in? As an older runner, I'd say this tends to be a younger man's distance. As you get over 30 you increasingly come into your own as an endurance athlete - I'd try out different distances, including 3km, 5km, 10km, half marathon and full marathon to find out what distance works best for you.