Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Stats: 6'1", 200 lbs
    andrew135 is a complete loser! (-2000) andrew135 is a complete loser! (-2000) andrew135 is a complete loser! (-2000) andrew135 is a complete loser! (-2000) andrew135 is a complete loser! (-2000) andrew135 is a complete loser! (-2000) andrew135 is a complete loser! (-2000) andrew135 is a complete loser! (-2000) andrew135 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Visit andrew135's BodySpace

Progress or am I just getting fat?

I've gained like 5 lbs in the past month and my lifts have gone up, but I feel like I'm just putting on fat. Am I insane or is it really the case? I've been mostly trying to hit my chest and forearms. First pic is from today other is about a month ago.

nov 2012.JPG
    Attached Images

Stats: 5'8", 178 lbs
    BodyPoints: 2947
    boxtrot is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) boxtrot is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) boxtrot is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) boxtrot is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) boxtrot is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) boxtrot is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) boxtrot is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) boxtrot is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) boxtrot is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) boxtrot is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) boxtrot is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit boxtrot's BodySpace
    impossibru to tell you could of gained muscle or fat but it could be lighting.

Well either your lifting wrong or eating wrong. or both. If your gaining fat but your lifts are going up but there's no distinct change in the way your muscles look you could be eating too much, or eating the wrong things or both.

If you already know yourself that your eating things that dont ever need to be consumed to gain muscle, then there's the first thing to change if you dont want to gain fat.

If your eating sausages cause theres protein in it and you've worked out eating 5 sausages will help you reach you protein quota yet the rest of your diet is perfect. Then thats an inefficient use of calories and you need to get rid of them and replace them with some lean beef (or whatever 'whole' protein food you like).

Stats: 6'1", 200 lbs
    andrew135 is a complete loser! (-2000) andrew135 is a complete loser! (-2000) andrew135 is a complete loser! (-2000) andrew135 is a complete loser! (-2000) andrew135 is a complete loser! (-2000) andrew135 is a complete loser! (-2000) andrew135 is a complete loser! (-2000) andrew135 is a complete loser! (-2000) andrew135 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Visit andrew135's BodySpace
    You might actually have a point. I do eat really well normally, but we had a huge hurricane last week and I was eating out quite a bit. I didn't eat fast food or garbage like that, but I probably had a massive salt intake as well as all types of other artificial crap and preservatives so maybe I'm just holding more water. I just get a bit paranoid when I try to bulk since its a bit harder to see how well you are doing when compared to a cut.

Stats: 5'6", 173 lbs
    BL17 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BL17 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BL17 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BL17 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BL17 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BL17 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BL17 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BL17 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BL17 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BL17 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BL17 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit BL17's BodySpace
    I am one of those people who disagree with 'bulking' and 'cutting' phases. I have been on a permanent bulk since day one staying around 6-8% body fat. A good way to do it in my opinion is put on mass SLOWLY! If you hear your friends at the gym or some other poor soul who lacks correct knowledge, saying that they have put on 8kg, 10kg etc in 2 weeks then they are definitely doing it wrong! They are just putting on excess fat and water weight which will lead to absolutely no muscle gain. And if they do gain muscle, when it comes to the so called cutting phase, any muscle they have gained will be lost. It's also dangerous in my opinion although I can't back that up with evidence of my own knowledge. The best way to look at it is if you're gaining 0.5lbs/0.2kg- 1lb/0.5kg a week or 3-4lbs a month you know you are the right track to gaining optimum muscle. Any more than that and you aremost likely gaining excess bodyfat. Of course with any sort of bulking you are going to gain a little fat but hardly any as you are on a calorie surplus. Stick to eating clean and find out your maintenance calories through trial and error not some calculator (although this is a good base to start with) and then add 100 calories or subtract 100 calories depending how your gains are coming. It's worked for me, I started at 127lbs, 14% BF and I am now 160lbs at 7.2% BF.

Stats: 5'8", 178 lbs
    BodyPoints: 2947
    boxtrot is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) boxtrot is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) boxtrot is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) boxtrot is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) boxtrot is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) boxtrot is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) boxtrot is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) boxtrot is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) boxtrot is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) boxtrot is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) boxtrot is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit boxtrot's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by andrew135 View Post
    You might actually have a point. I do eat really well normally, but we had a huge hurricane last week and I was eating out quite a bit. I didn't eat fast food or garbage like that, but I probably had a massive salt intake as well as all types of other artificial crap and preservatives so maybe I'm just holding more water. I just get a bit paranoid when I try to bulk since its a bit harder to see how well you are doing when compared to a cut.
    Fact is. Dont check progress pics after a month wait 3 months. Youll be able to tell just by looking in the mirror though, i could i just noticed veins popping out of my chest after 3 months i'd never noticed before. Also if your diet is decent and your worried nothing is happening change your excercises then you're covered for that 3 month check.