Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10)

getting in all around shape

So I recently decided to quit bodybuilding and get into all around good shape. I started swimming 3 times a week and will start running 5 miles every 4 days. I dont want to do bodybuilding, I just want to increase strength with strength training such as heavy deadlifts, squats, pull ups and pushups, and standing military presses, and become athletic and build a better frame, and become flexible. Can a routine that includes deadlifts for 4-6 sets followed by squats for 4-6 sets, every other day, be reasonable, not including all my other workouts?

Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Almogmon View Post
    Can a routine that includes deadlifts for 4-6 sets followed by squats for 4-6 sets, every other day, be reasonable, not including all my other workouts?
    Probably not enough recovery time when doing all the other stuff too.

If I were to do this, it would probably be something like...
    mon - thur = Circuit Training, Running, Some sport like MMA/BJJ
    friday = Full body lifting
    weekend to recover

Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Blackjack68 View Post
    Probably not enough recovery time when doing all the other stuff too.

If I were to do this, it would probably be something like...
    mon - thur = Circuit Training, Running, Some sport like MMA/BJJ
    friday = Full body lifting
    weekend to recover
    would deadlifts, squats, and body weight exercises fall under circuit training? Or maybe some sort of cross fit? And what about swimming? I really want to get into that. A lot of athletes train every single day, can't I do this too with a good diet and plenty of sleep?

Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    would deadlifts, squats, and body weight exercises fall under circuit training? Or maybe some sort of cross fit? And what about swimming? I really want to get into that. A lot of athletes train every single day, can't I do this too with a good diet and plenty of sleep?
    You can train every day, that's no problem, I was on the Army boxing team doing 3 workouts/day. The problem comes when you do high volume and intense resistance training that breaks down the muscles. That needs time to repair. You could easily work crossfit style stuff and some lifting into your circuit. Just don't take the lifts near failure, and don't do more than a set or two of each. Then before a weekend or couple days off, do a full body lifting routine.

Something like:
    Monday - Circuit training with some lifting
    Tues - Running
    Wed - Circuit training with some plyometrics. Swim some afterward.
    Thur - Swimming
    Fri - Full body lifting routine or just another lifting circuit + swimming.
    Maybe do some swimming on Sunday.

For the circuit lifts, besides bodyweight stuff, look at doing some stuff like:
    Clean and Jerk http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...anAndJerk.html
    Jump Shrug http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...JumpShrug.html
    Push Press http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...PushPress.html
    Overhead Squat http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...headSquat.html
    Kettlebell Snatch http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/.../KBSnatch.html
    Hang Clean http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...HangClean.html

Those lifts are great for athletic performance.

grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So I recently decided to quit bodybuilding and get into all around good shape. I started swimming 3 times a week and will start running 5 miles every 4 days. I dont want to do bodybuilding, I just want to increase strength with strength training such as heavy deadlifts, squats, pull ups and pushups, and standing military presses, and become athletic and build a better frame, and become flexible. Can a routine that includes deadlifts for 4-6 sets followed by squats for 4-6 sets, every other day, be reasonable, not including all my other workouts?
    swimming 3x's a week - ok that's fine but I have no idea how much time you spend swimming.
    running 4 x's a week - You said starting at 5 miles? 4 times a week. IDK your past running history so I'm gonna say that might be to much with adding a strength program. You might want to drop back to 3 miles till your settled into a lifting program and have had sometime for adaption.

I would go with a good 3 or 4 day lifting program geared toward strength. I def look into something structured already like starting strength. 5-3-1 maybe..

If you provide more details about your past training history and a little more about your goals that would be helpful.