shonosuke is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) shonosuke is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) shonosuke is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) shonosuke is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) shonosuke is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) shonosuke is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) shonosuke is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) shonosuke is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) shonosuke is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) shonosuke is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) shonosuke is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

How do you combine boxing and lifting weights?

Is it possible to combine? Want to get into boxing again and I've been doing SS for 4 months now.

Would lifting on monday,wednesday,friday and boxing on tuesday,thursday,saturday work?

Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by shonosuke View Post
    Is it possible to combine? Want to get into boxing again and I've been doing SS for 4 months now.

Would lifting on monday,wednesday,friday and boxing on tuesday,thursday,saturday work?
    Since you say "again", I take it you use to compete?? If your planning to compete and never have then you need to do more boxing and less weights throughout the week..Yes you can incorporate weights into your schedule as long as you don't try to lift them like a bodybuilder/power lifter..For example high reps for muscle conditioning and endurance..You need to worry about your skills and technique more than just lifting since boxing is more skill, endurance, and cardio than anything..This is why a 180LB true fighter can have more knockout power than a 220LB streetfighter, simply cas he knows the mechanics and skills to put every bit of energy and movement into a punch to land what he wants..

mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Tex236 View Post
    Since you say "again", I take it you use to compete?? If your planning to compete and never have then you need to do more boxing and less weights throughout the week..Yes you can incorporate weights into your schedule as long as you don't try to lift them like a bodybuilder/power lifter..For example high reps for muscle conditioning and endurance..You need to worry about your skills and technique more than just lifting since boxing is more skill, endurance, and cardio than anything..This is why a 180LB true fighter can have more knockout power than a 220LB streetfighter, simply cas he knows the mechanics and skills to put every bit of energy and movement into a punch to land what he wants..
    This is an old school mentality that is just plain wrong.

Not lifting like a bodybuilder makes sense but powerlifter is fine. High reps aren't all that useful for sports. It has little carry over to the actual sport. Thats why people that run cross country and can come into wreslting and be totaly wiped out after 2 rounds. Take 2 people of the same weight but one is signifcantly stronger than the other and both learn the mechanics of a punch at the same pace then the stronger guy is gonna hit harder.

Stay on starting strength if you want but try to weight train before boxing that way you can focus on technique.

Also I have trained and competed in MMA and grappling as well as trained with boxers.

iballhard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iballhard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iballhard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iballhard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iballhard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iballhard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iballhard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iballhard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iballhard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iballhard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iballhard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    absolutly lift weights!!! i trained with higher reps most of the time. and with a fighters diet your not going to get so massive that it effects your range of motion or speed. a lot of people say your arms get heavy if they are to big, in later rounds of a fight.that was never a problem for me. but something you have to prepare for .

RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Lifting weights is fine for boxers. Rob Pilger was a student of Louie Simmons, the founder of westside barbell.

Fighters will use more dynamic effort and endurance stuff, but should still use max effort.
    This post is Natypes approved.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by mcmoon View Post
    This is an old school mentality that is just plain wrong.

Not lifting like a bodybuilder makes sense but powerlifter is fine. High reps aren't all that useful for sports. It has little carry over to the actual sport. Thats why people that run cross country and can come into wreslting and be totaly wiped out after 2 rounds. Take 2 people of the same weight but one is signifcantly stronger than the other and both learn the mechanics of a punch at the same pace then the stronger guy is gonna hit harder.

Stay on starting strength if you want but try to weight train before boxing that way you can focus on technique.

Also I have trained and competed in MMA and grappling as well as trained with boxers.
    Plain wrong?? Y don't you get in the ring after gaining 10 kinds of muscle and expect to hold your gloves up for 12 rounds with 14 oz gloves even 12 at that defending yourself while throwing jabs combos, not to mention the footwork you have to put in play to out-skill the other fighter..Also what do you think will happen when you box a guy who uses say a philly shell defense your going to punch yourself to death before you land anything on him..You my friend don't know boxing..More muscle means more energy to pack it and use it, limits mobility, yea sure its fine to lift weights given that you train the right muscles..And the mma stuff is nothing like boxing, way lighter gloves, not always a toe to toe fight, too many areas to train and improve on, boxing is boxing get it?? half of the MMA fighters show horrible habits in boxing when I see them on TV only a select few can box. Been boxing since I was a pup, in jr high..To the OP train your legs, shoulders, and neck for strength, throw in chest if you like but the rest needs to be muscle conditioning..And btw old school has proven itself since the dawn of boxing there has never been another ali, sugar ray leanord, irish mickey Ward,, lennox lewis, Frazier, Tyson was a great but look where his muscle got him.. I could go on all day but I will spare you

Originally Posted by iballhard View Post
    absolutly lift weights!!! i trained with higher reps most of the time. and with a fighters diet your not going to get so massive that it effects your range of motion or speed. a lot of people say your arms get heavy if they are to big, in later rounds of a fight.that was never a problem for me. but something you have to prepare for .
    Best point on this thread, higher reps for muscle conditioning to prepare for a fight that may go the full 10-12 rounds..Ohio trainers and boxing has a good setup, I boxed in the Cleveland GG tournaments 2 years ago, yall got some good trainers down that way

Dandan28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The best way to combine is doing high weight low reps, explode through the exercises and go slow on the negative, I have boxed for 10 years and have only tried adding weight sessions into it, rather than splitting up the week in body segments, do 2 days a week full body exercises dead lifts, squats etc.. Since I have I can through my jab a lot quicker and my movement has gone through the roof.

KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Boxing for boxing and weightlifting for weightlifting, after knowing what you want adjust accordingly. No body gets better at basketball playing golf.

http://www.jimwendler.com/2012/02/531-and-mma/ <-- but if you want to train more boxing this right here is great!

Also to share my opinion on what everybody else has said:
    - Additional conditioning should be more sport specific: to punch harder/faster/longer/better just train your punches and punching technique.
    - If you want to gain strength, I mean strength, I mean pure strength, I mean pure strength like the guys in the woods with big axes and hairy chest, do strenght training, ain't no high rep nonsence gonna help you with that.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    no one is better at conditioning boxers than Ross Enamait

www.rosstraining.com

mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Tex236 View Post
    Plain wrong?? Y don't you get in the ring after gaining 10 kinds of muscle and expect to hold your gloves up for 12 rounds with 14 oz gloves even 12 at that defending yourself while throwing jabs combos, not to mention the footwork you have to put in play to out-skill the other fighter..Also what do you think will happen when you box a guy who uses say a philly shell defense your going to punch yourself to death before you land anything on him..You my friend don't know boxing..More muscle means more energy to pack it and use it, limits mobility, yea sure its fine to lift weights given that you train the right muscles..And the mma stuff is nothing like boxing, way lighter gloves, not always a toe to toe fight, too many areas to train and improve on, boxing is boxing get it?? half of the MMA fighters show horrible habits in boxing when I see them on TV only a select few can box. Been boxing since I was a pup, in jr high..To the OP train your legs, shoulders, and neck for strength, throw in chest if you like but the rest needs to be muscle conditioning..And btw old school has proven itself since the dawn of boxing there has never been another ali, sugar ray leanord, irish mickey Ward,, lennox lewis, Frazier, Tyson was a great but look where his muscle got him.. I could go on all day but I will spare you
    As I said before calm down. First you have been fed some misinformation on heavy weights and that they make you gain muscle. This is false the only way you will actually gain muscle is to eat in a calorie surplus that is a fact but strength training relies heavily on your cns so therefore you can get stronger without gaining muscle. Another misconception you have is that muscle makes less moble which is not true. I am fully aware that boxing and mma are different. I also agree that many mma fighters have horrible boxing because well they aren't boxers for one thing and need to adapt what they can to fit their personal game/style of fighting and that some of things in boxing can't be exactly carried over. What I have bolded is completely true but by no means is it optimal. The fighters you named were some of the greats but I do not believe they could hang with many of today's top fighters which is basically true of just about any sport of today.

I was not trying to say I knew more than you especially about boxing because I am sure you do know more than me about that but stronger fighter will always have an advantage as long as his stamina and technique are up to par. I was not saying to sacrifice stamina for strength which I think is where you misunderstood me but add to your strength without sacrificing the other 2.

p.s. While we may never actually agree on this particular subject I do believe on many other things we do agree such as the other thread where I believe it was just a misunderstanding rather than just a disagreement