View Poll Results: How many times a week should you work your muscles for mass?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Once a week, heavy

43 68.25%
  • Three times a weak, moderate

20 31.75%
    machtenx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

how many times a week should you work a muscle?

I've been debating whether to go with the traditional hit the muscle once a week routine, or go with the hypertrophy specific regimin, 3 days a week, all muscle groups, two sets.

I'm looking to put on significant mass. I am eating well.

State your case with backup please

Just_being_me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_being_me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_being_me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_being_me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_being_me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    go hard or go home.

; )

machtenx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Just_being_me
    go hard or go home.

; )
    you don't think that you can maximize gains by hitting the muscle more often?

Just_being_me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_being_me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_being_me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_being_me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_being_me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i train everything to complete failure. i know that if i train hard, to failure, every set, on day one...if i tried to train the same muscle on day three, i would not be giving it 100%.
    If you have a weak point, or a body part that you feel you 'need' to work out twice a week, and can, then by all means do it....but getting fully recovered and rested is whats going to make your muscles grow..not training them repetatively....ya know? Muscles grow when resting, not when working.
    but you do have to 'turn on that growth mechanism' in your body, learing to do that, and maximize your workout, should be your goal.
    Yes, 'they' say your muscles will recover in like 48-60 hours or something like that, but what does that mean? doesnt it matter how hard you work? and your muscles makeup? and your nutrition? I think so, so I feel its a time period only you can determine. But if you are doing arms 3 days a week, when you go to do shoulders or back, you will be inhibited to do what your shoulders or back could really handle, since your arms and tricepts will be so fatigued...

my 2 cents

scotia4545 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) scotia4545 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) scotia4545 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) scotia4545 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) scotia4545 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) scotia4545 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) scotia4545 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) scotia4545 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) scotia4545 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) scotia4545 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) scotia4545 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i do every day hard exept off days
    or when shocking
    age 16
    height 6' 6" @ 156 lbs
    bench 210
    dead 230
    squat 260
    total 700

dawued will become famous soon enough. (+50) dawued will become famous soon enough. (+50) dawued will become famous soon enough. (+50) dawued will become famous soon enough. (+50) dawued will become famous soon enough. (+50) dawued will become famous soon enough. (+50) dawued will become famous soon enough. (+50) dawued will become famous soon enough. (+50) dawued will become famous soon enough. (+50) dawued will become famous soon enough. (+50) dawued will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

I train every muscle 2, sometimes 3 times a week. I think trianing a muscle once a week is not enough, for me at least, it may work for others. i am very for more days and moderate weight. i would lift heavy one day and the next work out doa little less weight and work on form and rep maxing.

my 2 cents

later...peace

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    two choices hardly covers all the options

Chemically Imbalanced Wanker527's Avatar
    Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by Kane Fan
    dammit, you beat me to it kane
    "Oderint dum metuant." -Lucius Accius

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm a fast, fast man

BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by Kane Fan
    bump! but out of those 2, once a week would be better.
    "Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac." -Henry Kissinger

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster . . . for when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by dawued
    I train every muscle 2, sometimes 3 times a week. I think trianing a muscle once a week is not enough, for me at least, it may work for others. i am very for more days and moderate weight. i would lift heavy one day and the next work out doa little less weight and work on form and rep maxing.

my 2 cents

later...peace
    I agree there's a lot of ways to train and we all need to find what works for us, but curious as to what you're hoping to get out of the lighter weight with rep maxing? Endurance?

For me, short, intense, heavy workouts work best. And in order to have that work I let each muscle group rest for a week until I hit it again.

If you go intense enough, you'll need the rest. I did legs on Monday and they are still sore. So no way they would be ready to be hit again in 48 hours.

This is what's working for me currently. You do need to experiment to find the right combo.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

HELLA_lame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Just_being_me is on the ball

I have to agree with Just_being_me whole-heartedly.

Very good post.
    There are only three types of people in the world; Those who can count, and those who can't.

DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000)
    I prefer once a week for each body part, but I think twice is ok. I had good gains on this when I was younger:
    Mon-Legs/Back/Bis
    Tues-Explosive Lifts/Chest/Delts/Tris
    Th-same as monday
    Fri-same as tues

I like hitting 8-12 sets per bodypart in one workout once a week better than 6-8 sets twice a week. It keeps my mind fresh and my muscles are fully recovered come seven days later.

Location: Where all of the really, really, really, ridiculously good looking people live
    buffdan will become famous soon enough. (+50) buffdan will become famous soon enough. (+50) buffdan will become famous soon enough. (+50) buffdan will become famous soon enough. (+50) buffdan will become famous soon enough. (+50) buffdan will become famous soon enough. (+50) buffdan will become famous soon enough. (+50) buffdan will become famous soon enough. (+50) buffdan will become famous soon enough. (+50) buffdan will become famous soon enough. (+50) buffdan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Depends on which bodypart.....below is my ideal schedule

Legs, once a week
    Biceps, triceps, and forearms twice a week
    Chest, twice a week (1 heavy pressing workout, 1 medium
    with flyes and pec deck
    Shoulders, back, traps, Twice a week, (1 workout separate
    exercises, 1 workout deadlifts ONLY to failure)

IMHO

Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    As has already been mentioned, once a week is the better option given the choices.

I've had success doing once a week and I'm currently trying 1.5 times/week. The key thing IMO is that you should ALWAYS work hard in the gym. Light sets (aside from warmup, of course) are bull****.

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Limbo
    The key thing IMO is that you should ALWAYS work hard in the gym. Light sets (aside from warmup, of course) are bull****.
    Thank you!
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron