JustATeenager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Any advice for my diet?

I started at 245lb and now I am 232lb. I lost 13 pounds in a month, this was my first month dieting but I am sure most of the weight was water weight since I drastically changed my diet from what it once was. I am 16 years old and I am 5'5. I already improved my cardio from only being able to run for 6 minutes at 5mph to 10 minutes at 5mph, although I still need to improve a lot more. My bench press raised from 135 to 165 and my pushups went from 1 pre dieting to 15 after 1 month of dieting.
    Breakfast is a whey protein shake and an apple
    Lunch is 1 slice of bread, turkey, 1 slice of american cheese, some lettuce, and fruits.
    Post workout Whey shake
    Dinner is always after working out so I usually eat some brown rice (not a lot) and some type of lean meat such as boiled or grilled chicken. Also fruits (never grapes or bananas). I only drink water (besides the protien shake in the morning and after working out)

Any advice on my diet? Am I missing anything? Thanks

P.S How much weight can I lose 6.5 months from now? I am trying to get to 175 in exactly 6.5 months.
    Last edited by JustATeenager; 11-08-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Brutal skin thinning igglesphan's Avatar
    igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Is that what you eat every day?

Start eating a wide variety of foods. Track your calories using Myfitnesspal... and get a digital food scale to weigh your foods rather than guessing (some brown rice, some lean meat, ect.)

iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by JustATeenager View Post
    I started at 245lb and now I am 232lb. I lost 13 pounds in a month, this was my first month dieting but I am sure most of the weight was water weight since I drastically changed my diet from what it once was. I am 16 years old and I am 5'5. I already improved my cardio from only being able to run for 6 minutes at 5mph to 10 minutes at 5mph, although I still need to improve a lot more. My bench press raised from 135 to 165 and my pushups went from 1 pre dieting to 15 after 1 month of dieting.
    Breakfast is a whey protein shake and an apple
    Lunch is 1 slice of bread, turkey, 1 slice of american cheese, some lettuce, and fruits.
    Post workout Whey shake
    Dinner is always after working out so I usually eat some brown rice (not a lot) and some type of lean meat such as boiled or grilled chicken. Also fruits (never grapes or bananas). I only drink water (besides the protien shake in the morning and after working out)

Any advice on my diet? Am I missing anything? Thanks

P.S How much weight can I lose 6 months from now? I am trying to get to 175 in exactly 6.5 months.
    You need to track your calories and macros. That is the best thing you can do to improve your diet and chances for success.

To get to 175 in 6.5months you're looking at a loss of nearly 9lbs per month, or just on 2.2lb (1kg) per week. This is doable but will be extremely difficult, especially when you get down lower, sustaining that level of weight loss becomes tougher. You will have to be on a deficit of 1000 calories per day. Then again, you are only 16 and still growing, so it may be easier. However, you will most likely end up skinny fat if you insist on shooting for that goal, which is not desirable.

My advice: count calories/macros, slow down the weight loss, lift some weights, push your goal back by a few months, you will look much better and cutting further after that will come much easier.

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    OP you're currently eating a la PSMF, very low cal but very high in protein, of course you're having carbs in there as well so it's not really PSMF. i would bet you're staying under 1500 a day if you eat like you did today, every day. that's not good. you need to start around 2500 cals a day and go with that until fat loss slows down to under 2 lbs a week. your workout should be based around resistance training, but definitely keep cardio a few days of the week or more, as long as it doesn't interfere with your muscle recovery for lifting.

get more real food in, you're drinking most of your protein intake for the day, this will not be filling, even if it is for now it won't be for long.

count cals, use myfitnesspal to track them, eat sensibly and in a way that can be sustained for YEARS, not for a few weeks or months. eating a quick-fix diet will yield quick fix results, you lose weight and then in a short time you relapse BAD b/c the diet is so bland and restrictive.

i'm 5'5" and a couple years ago i weighed almost 210 lbs, i can feel your pain of being obese, trust me. but if i would have changed anything from a couple years ago, i would have cut on higher cals (2000-2200 instead of the 1500-1700 i did on avg) and made cardio secondary to my lifting.
    Powerlifter convert. Follow on instagram Sharpie_bendingbarbells

Most recent comp lifts: 405/305/475

Thanks for all the replies, and @igglesphan, more or less, the fruits and vegetables vary and the meat varies on whatever my school serves. I just got 175 max bench press today . Alright, I will see if I can eat more, but more of what should I eat?

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks for all the replies, and @igglesphan, more or less, the fruits and vegetables vary and the meat varies on whatever my school serves. I just got 175 max bench press today . Alright, I will see if I can eat more, but more of what should I eat?
    most important is to have high protein diet, aim for 150g a day. it may be pretty difficult to get accurate cal estimate if you're having to eat lunch room food without proper serving sizes and nutritional info, etc. eat sensibly if that's the case, keep all bread and pasta and starch type carbs to a minimum, make leafy greens your friend as well as lean meats, preferably baked/grilled and non fried/battered choices...this will help ensure low cal choices. i'm not saying that eating very small bits of junk here and there will ruin you, hell i fit a lot into my daily cutting and bulking diets, but when you're having to guesstimate a lot and you don't get to measure out and prepare everything yourself, you have to do things a little differently...that's the benefit of preparing and measuring all your own food-it makes it very easy math to add in a slice of pizza or some sort of candy bar/ice cream/etc.

the point is, you shouldn't be eating like a 12 year old girl...you are an active young male, and so you need to eat like one. unless being skinny is your goal, as opposed to being lean with muscle mass, keep in mind that you won't see many guys that look ripped (even at OUR height) that are eating 1200-1500 cals a day...frequent weight lifting requires more cals for recovery than that.

i could write a page on all the things for you to consider, but for now it's probably best that you learn from what we've posted in this thread so far, as well as lurking around in the fat loss section as much as possible and reading other peoples' threads with our responses, and check out the workout programs stickies and exercise stickies as well.
    Powerlifter convert. Follow on instagram Sharpie_bendingbarbells

Most recent comp lifts: 405/305/475

Originally Posted by iceaura View Post
    You need to track your calories and macros. That is the best thing you can do to improve your diet and chances for success.

To get to 175 in 6.5months you're looking at a loss of nearly 9lbs per month, or just on 2.2lb (1kg) per week. This is doable but will be extremely difficult, especially when you get down lower, sustaining that level of weight loss becomes tougher. You will have to be on a deficit of 1000 calories per day. Then again, you are only 16 and still growing, so it may be easier. However, you will most likely end up skinny fat if you insist on shooting for that goal, which is not desirable.

My advice: count calories/macros, slow down the weight loss, lift some weights, push your goal back by a few months, you will look much better and cutting further after that will come much easier.
    Trust me, I am not going to grow anymore. My parents are 5ft and 5'3. I am already one of the tallest in my family and I have been 5'5 since freshmen year of high school. (Currently a junior)

Originally Posted by sharpieblet View Post
    most important is to have high protein diet, aim for 150g a day. it may be pretty difficult to get accurate cal estimate if you're having to eat lunch room food without proper serving sizes and nutritional info, etc. eat sensibly if that's the case, keep all bread and pasta and starch type carbs to a minimum, make leafy greens your friend as well as lean meats, preferably baked/grilled and non fried/battered choices...this will help ensure low cal choices. i'm not saying that eating very small bits of junk here and there will ruin you, hell i fit a lot into my daily cutting and bulking diets, but when you're having to guesstimate a lot and you don't get to measure out and prepare everything yourself, you have to do things a little differently...that's the benefit of preparing and measuring all your own food-it makes it very easy math to add in a slice of pizza or some sort of candy bar/ice cream/etc.

the point is, you shouldn't be eating like a 12 year old girl...you are an active young male, and so you need to eat like one. unless being skinny is your goal, as opposed to being lean with muscle mass, keep in mind that you won't see many guys that look ripped (even at OUR height) that are eating 1200-1500 cals a day...frequent weight lifting requires more cals for recovery than that.

i could write a page on all the things for you to consider, but for now it's probably best that you learn from what we've posted in this thread so far, as well as lurking around in the fat loss section as much as possible and reading other peoples' threads with our responses, and check out the workout programs stickies and exercise stickies as well.
    Thanks for the advice! Yea the thing I most fear about losing weight is losing my muscle, I NEVER eat pasta/pizza/ice cream anymore. I remember a month ago I used to eat entire pizza pies twice a week... I will start eating a bit more protein.

iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10) iceaura is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Trust me, I am not going to grow anymore. My parents are 5ft and 5'3. I am already one of the tallest in my family and I have been 5'5 since freshmen year of high school. (Currently a junior)
    Even if you don't grow in height, you can still grow in muscle and bone structure. The hormones you have on you at the moment are great for muscle gains.