CEO - Vandelay Industries viennafat's Avatar
    viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Squat/Bench Rack help - limited space & budget issue (reps for help)

You guys have helped me before, now I'm hoping you can help me again.

I'm looking to replace my current squat/bench rack which is just some cheap Marcy thing I got when I first started working out at home.
    As cheap and limited at it is, it has served me well.

The problem I have is that I very very limited space both in area and in height. (I also want to keep the cost fairly low.)
    A power cage/rack is out of the question. Even most half racks are too big for my space.

I've got used to squatting without safeties and I almost never BB bench anymore so that's not a concern.
    I really only need something to squat (dont squat too heavy) and to rack the bar when doing rows, shrugs, or bb curls.

I've been looking at something like this:
    http://valorathleticsinc.com/store/B...k-p-16341.html

Is something like that totally ridiculous or would it serve my purpose ok?
    Any other suggestions I can look at?

Thanks for all inputs.
    Architect, Marine Biologist, Importer-Exporter, Latex Manufacturing.

Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000)
    If I had limited space, a limited budget, and wanted to maintain low risk and still get an effective workout at home, I'd just use dumbbells for most of my exercises. Instead of barbell squats, I'd do lunges, etc. If someone can squat 400 lbs, have them do single leg squats with 100 lbs DBs. Much safer if you don't have a power/squat rack.

If you're stuck on the idea of getting a barbell rack, look around some more. I have a "rack" with uprights similar to what you linked which I purchased via Craigslist. It came with a bench and weights that I flipped and I decided to keep the uprights. For the most part I wanted to just have something to have the bar in position for overhead press, or some quick lighter weight warm-up squatting. Totally a convenience item.
    Space is not a concern for me, though, and this is totally a secondary station from my power rack. All said and done I probably paid like $20 for it, if that.

If you can afford $200 for something that just racks the bar, I'd go a different direction. Sell your Olympics and get some Iron Masters.
    Last edited by Vermonter; 11-08-2012 at 09:26 AM.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #5 ()---()
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #10 -!!!---!!!-

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
    Winston Churchill

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Link: http://www.ironmind-store.com/Gym-Eq...roducts/16/1/0

I had the second generation of this set up. This is serious gear, and its compact. Its heavy duty, and safe for what they are. Its also modular so you can turn it into a pullup bar, dip bars, and even a GHR if you buy them extra. No matter how big your squat is it pays to have some form of safety spotter even if its just a pair of sawhorses.

Note that other companies make similar setups as this, so hopefully someone can show some cheaper models if the price sucks.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for the input guys.
    Will take it all into consideration.

Those ironminds look very nice. Although the price is definitely steep. Would prefer to go with something more economical.
    Sawhorses you say? Didn't even consider those.

ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by viennafat View Post
    Thanks for the input guys.
    Will take it all into consideration.

Those ironminds look very nice. Although the price is definitely steep. Would prefer to go with something more economical.
    Sawhorses you say? Didn't even consider those.
    The one youlisted looks great for the price, and the weight limit isnt too bad either, I was just giving another option.

As for homemade/improvised. I posted this up early on in the 'homemade crew' thread. I've made bucket squat stands like this before and they can hold a lot of weight if made well.

My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    These options run a little more than the Valor Athletics System you had suggested, but Muscle Driver has a MDUSA Econ Squat Stand for $250 with free shipping (sorry, I can't post links, yet). Rogue Fitness also has the Rogue Econ ES-1 Squat Stand for $275 with reasonable shipping ($35 to me, but ships free if you buy 3 or more ships free items). That one is rated for 1000 pounds. If you can swing it, Rogue has the S-1 for a little more that can be upgraded in the future. You can also look at New York Barbells - they have some space-saving designs.

If you want to go the Valor Athletics route, I would get their Valor Athletics BD-8 Deluxe Squat Stands with Plate Storage from wayfair dot com - they run 173.50 with free shipping and you can frequently find a link to a coupon for 10% off (usually appears on Mondays or Tuesdays when I browse this forum). I like how they can be separated and stored if you don't need them. This would come in handy if you are into or ever get into olympic weightlifting. You can easily move them out of the way on your platform

Good luck!

beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sorry - I meant to add that you may also want to look at the Valor Athletics BD-9 Power Squat Stands Plus for $191.05 with free shipping (and 10% if you use the coupon on this forum) from wayfair. The load rating on the BD-9 is much higher than the BD-8.

http://www.pendlay.com/MDUSA-Econ-Sq...ng_p_1065.html

^^Good recomendation, these are nicer then the Valor one shown IMO.

Body solid also makes a similar squat stand but with no weight storage from what I remember.
    My training log:
    ---------------

Good stuff, guys. The homemade gym is very intriguing and the recommendations above are also great.
    Will be looking into all of it.
    I did look into those individual squat stands but for some reason they make a big nervous. (in terms of stability)

I would really like to be able rack the BB after rows or shrugs, so I'm keeping that in mind.
    (the squat stand I have now when in the lowest setting is still 2-3 inches too high for me to rack when holding heavy weights. I have to partially upright row it to get in place)

As a side note to beerbelly: I feel honored that you have only 5 posts in the last 8 years and 2 of those posts came in my thread.
    Last edited by viennafat; 11-08-2012 at 11:33 AM.

FTR I'm not reccomending you go the homemade route. It works, but sometimes you are just beter off buying ready made stuff. For equipment I rarely reccomend cheap stuff like that valor. Does your budget stretch any further then $200? ...keep in mind how important squats are to your training.
    My training log:
    ---------------

Yeah I dont see myself building homemade equipment, but the sawhorses peaked my interest.
    I just checked a local place that sells a pair of sawhorses for like $40 and they have a 1,500lb capacity.
    Just thinking out loud.

Sure, I may be able to stretch my budget if it makes sense.

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    http://www.christiansfitnessfactory....F-Squat-Stands $118

http://www.bwproducts.com/fitness/eq...cks/r04sr.html $325 - overpriced but cheaper than Ironmind's

Anyway why not keep your marcy thing? What is the weight capacity on it? Does it wobble too much when racking? If you're not adding safeties seems like a waste of money even to get those CFF stands.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

Thanks, Detrus.

I'm thinking the same thing.
    I don't even know what the weight capacity is on the marcy. The most of put on that is 310 (for squats) and it held it ok but it didn't feel 100% stable either.
    The thing that kind of sucks is that I don't even squat that much weight or that often.

One of the things that I don't like about my current stand is not being able to comfortably rack the bar after exercises when standing (bb shrugs, curls, etc)

Are those individual squat stands safe? It just seems that having them in 2 pieces and not attached is iffy.
    Last edited by viennafat; 11-08-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by viennafat View Post
    One of the things that I don't like about my current stand is not being able to comfortably rack the bar after exercises when standing (bb shrugs, curls, etc)

Are those individual squat stands safe? It just seems that having them in 2 pieces is iffy.
    They'll hold the weight but they're wobbly. Indie stands are typically wobbly, you have to take care of how you rack, especially if the bar holder is at the very top.

He's doing 485 lbs on them here.

Sounds like you want bar holders at waist level too, for shrugs and curls. Well, CFF stands have those little catches in the middle too, might work for that, but don't know their weight capacity.

Rogue sells http://www.roguefitness.com/s4-h-base-1615.php stands too, you can move the J-cup bar holders wherever and they'll hold tons. Rogue's indies are heavier and people are surprised by their stability.

A demo of a similar product

Also http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/93015.html $130 safeties. Might be all you need in addition to your marcy. And http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/pro93140.html $500 here for safeties and stands.

None of these products will feel stable. Marcy is probably the lightest, CFF stands second lightest and Rogue starts to get heavy but still not that stable. There will be movement when racking, just a question of how much. Even a serious midrange half rack like S-1/S-2 moves when it's not bolted down.

-!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The dude in the first vid should be careful how much he lifts. It looks like he already has an umbilical hernia.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||