Thread: 1 inch bar

madmac558 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

1 inch bar

Hey guys wondering if you could give some advice i have a body sculpture weight set that i use and various added plates, my question is how much can the standard 1 inch steel chrome plated bar hold before having to go to olympic weights.

weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Take a look at the thread below. Another poster had the same concern last week and it fostered a lengthy discussion.

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149333383

sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by madmac558 View Post
    Hey guys wondering if you could give some advice i have a body sculpture weight set that i use and various added plates, my question is how much can the standard 1 inch steel chrome plated bar hold before having to go to olympic weights.
    How long is your bar, and how long is the grip section (where you can place your hands)?

I'm asking because shorter bars can stand more weight before taking on a permanent bend.

pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by weisgarb View Post
    Take a look at the thread below. Another poster had the same concern last week and it fostered a lengthy discussion.
    I was OP in that thread. I had two bars that were standard (1") 5 ft bars, both solid steel weighing probably 13-14 lb each. I loaded them up with to 255 lb of plates multiple times with no problems. I have no idea what the official capacities were, though.

I also have a standard 5 ft bar that's like hollow chrome and weighs maybe 3 lb. I wouldn't dream of putting much more than 150 lb on that thing. Again, I have no idea what the official capacity is, but it feels very cheap and flimsy.

But as everyone in my thread pointed out, if you're serious about working out and getting stronger you really do need to be shopping for an Oly set. I snagged a 300# set for $85 on Craiglist and I'm very happy I went for it.