cjogro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjogro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Arthritis that compromises grip strength

I've dealt with arthritis in knees, hips, shoulders, but never in the hands--had to happen at some point I guess.

The woman I will be working with has arthritis in several other places (mostly knees and hips). She will be taking water exercise classes in addition to seeing me (which is great!!!!!). The arthritis in her hands is a source of lost pride for her and makes her less confident that she can attain her fitness goals (reducing pain, lowering bmi, visceral body fat). Her arthritis is so nasty that it compromises her grip strength...

So...

1) Does anyone have advice for improving grip strength in arthritic clients? Someone else did the health history--still finding out whether it's osteo or rheuma...

2) Does anyone have suggestions for ROM/beginning strength for upper body that do not involve gripping? I can think of plenty for core (which is probably most of what I'll be doing to begin anyway). Chest is obvious--even if she can't do full push ups, there is always the wall. Confused about how to work shoulders and upper back...

Most of what I do initially will likely be stretching and core stability. Movement with affected joints will be closely monitored so increased swelling, inflammation, and pain. If/when we get to beginning strength, single set 3-8 reps as manageable hitting the affected joints just once each so that we can see what causes pain and what doesn't the next day. Workouts followed by ice.

Suggestions, please...
    NASM-CPT

InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Get her doing grip work by herself or maybe try using straps? See if she is taking any meds and if not make her go see a doctor.

Registered User JoeCannonMSCSCS's Avatar
    JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    her hand muscles will get stronger naturally but the arthritis may cause physical changes (joint changes etc) that may not be able to be addressed by exercise. exercise helps arthritis feel better but it does not cure the condition
    Joe Cannon, MS
    Joe-Cannon.com
    SupplementClarity.com

cjogro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjogro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've got her doing grip flexes with a clean pair of socks filled with rice and microwaved. The moist heat feels good on her hands, she says. We'll see if it helps.
    NASM-CPT