ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Parallel to ATG squats

For the longest time I've been doing parallel squats. Always thought ATG was bad for your knees etc. But I looked into it and it seems that they are fine to do. I notice that when I do parallel squats I don't feel it in the upper quads that much, mostly in my lower quads. Also don't really feel the hamstrings working that much. I've heard that with ATG you recruit your hamstrings much more? Anyone had an experience when switching to ATG squats? How were results.

Tomorrow is leg day, thinking of just dropping the ego, going with lower weight and going ATG for reps.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm trying to figure out why if you were actually hitting parallel, that it would be somehow exponentially safer on the knees than ATG, considering the range of motion isn't that much farther.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

TitanBaby is on a distinguished road. (+10) TitanBaby is on a distinguished road. (+10) TitanBaby is on a distinguished road. (+10) TitanBaby is on a distinguished road. (+10) TitanBaby is on a distinguished road. (+10) TitanBaby is on a distinguished road. (+10) TitanBaby is on a distinguished road. (+10) TitanBaby is on a distinguished road. (+10) TitanBaby is on a distinguished road. (+10) TitanBaby is on a distinguished road. (+10) TitanBaby is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    full depth *******

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Most correctly performed ATG squats aren't very far below parallel. ATG squats generally aren't achieved by doing a normal "parallel" (by which I assume you mean something you'd expect to see from a powerlifter) squat and then going deeper, which tends to create a rather demented squat. Instead, they're achieved by having a more upright back and pushing the knees further forward, so that the arse has to be lower in order to break parallel. This results in greater knee flexion at the bottom of the squat, which simultaneously increases emphasis on the quads and takes tension out of the hamstrings. At the same time, the more upright back angle tends to reduce the amount of hip flexion at the bottom of the squat, which also takes tension off the hamstrings. Thus the ATG squat becomes very quad dominant, with some good glute involvement, but not as much hamstring work. This phenomonen is further exaggerated in the front squat, which is almost all quadriceps, some glutes, and almost negligeable hamstring involvement. Whoever said that deeper = more hamstrings doesn't properly understand how the hamstrings work, or has over-simplified things to the point of inaccuracy. Hamstrings concentrically perform hip extension and knee flexion, and eccentrically resist hip flexion and knee extension. So to maximise hamstring involvement in the squat, it's not a matter of going deeper, it's a matter bending at the hips as much as possible while minimising the ROM at the knees.
    Last edited by rdferguson; 11-08-2012 at 05:02 PM.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

avigotsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) avigotsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) avigotsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) avigotsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) avigotsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) avigotsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) avigotsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) avigotsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) avigotsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) avigotsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) avigotsky will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thought this study was interesting and seems relevant.

Effect of Squat Depth and Barbell Load on Relative Muscular Effort in Squatting
    Bryanton, Megan A.1; Kennedy, Michael D.2; Carey, Jason P.3; Chiu, Loren Z.F.1
    Abstract: Bryanton, MA, Kennedy, MD, Carey, JP, and Chiu, LZF. Effect of squat depth and barbell load on relative muscular effort in squatting. J Strength Cond Res 26(10): 2820–2828, 2012—Resistance training is used to develop muscular strength and hypertrophy. Large muscle forces, in relation to the muscle's maximum force–generating ability, are required to elicit these adaptations. Previous biomechanical analyses of multi-joint resistance exercises provide estimates of muscle force but not relative muscular effort (RME). The purpose of this investigation was to determine the RME during the squat exercise. Specifically, the effects of barbell load and squat depth on hip extensor, knee extensor, and ankle plantar flexor RME were examined. Ten strength-trained women performed squats (50–90% 1 repetition maximum) in a motion analysis laboratory to determine hip extensor, knee extensor, and ankle plantar flexor net joint moment (NJM). Maximum isometric strength in relation to joint angle for these muscle groups was also determined. Relative muscular effect was determined as the ratio of NJM to maximum voluntary torque matched for joint angle. Barbell load and squat depth had significant interaction effects on hip extensor, knee extensor, and ankle plantar flexor RME (p < 0.05). Knee extensor RME increased with greater squat depth but not barbell load, whereas the opposite was found for the ankle plantar flexors. Both greater squat depth and barbell load increased hip extensor RME. These data suggest that training for the knee extensors can be performed with low relative intensities but require a deep squat depth. Heavier barbell loads are required to train the hip extensors and ankle plantar flexors. In designing resistance training programs with multi-joint exercises, how external factors influence RME of different muscle groups should be considered to meet training objectives.

Quake215 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quake215 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quake215 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quake215 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quake215 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quake215 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quake215 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quake215 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quake215 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quake215 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quake215 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ho_124 View Post
    For the longest time I've been doing parallel squats. Always thought ATG was bad for your knees etc. But I looked into it and it seems that they are fine to do. I notice that when I do parallel squats I don't feel it in the upper quads that much, mostly in my lower quads. Also don't really feel the hamstrings working that much. I've heard that with ATG you recruit your hamstrings much more? Anyone had an experience when switching to ATG squats? How were results.

Tomorrow is leg day, thinking of just dropping the ego, going with lower weight and going ATG for reps.
    I feel that ATG is the only way to go. But I do notice tension on my hamstrings because of how deep I go. Personally I would say do those, I think going to the ground would be way more rewarding than squatting halfway down. just use a lighter weight going to the ground
    Army.
    Penn State.

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    IMO the best way for the majority of people to squat is to keep the torso upright, bringing the hips between the legs and on the same plane on the ankle joints. The goal should be to have the hamstrings completely on the calves. This is the most balanced way to train the musculature of the legs and the best way to train for strength in the legs.

tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you really want hamstring involvement with your squats, I would suggest low bar squats. High bar back squats will have relatively more hamstring involvement than front squats, but it is not particularly a hamstring dominant exercise. All squats, when done to full depth, will hit your glutes however. A parallel high bar squat OTOH will have limited glute involvement.
    Last edited by tidnab; 11-08-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: typo

stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Quake215 View Post
    I feel that ATG is the only way to go. But I do notice tension on my hamstrings because of how deep I go. Personally I would say do those, I think going to the ground would be way more rewarding than squatting halfway down. just use a lighter weight going to the ground
    I think you are mistaking hams for glutes there a little bit.
    vvvvvvvv

Originally Posted by tidnab View Post
    If you really want hamstring involvement with your squats, I would suggest low bar squats. High bar back squats will have more relatively hamstring involvement than front squats, but it is not particularly a hamstring dominant exercise. All squats, when done to full depth, will hit your glutes however. A parallel high bar squat OTOH will have limited glute involvement.
    SQ: 225x5 (High-bar ATG)
    DL: 295x5/315x1

"Many basic or compound exercises (e.g. squat, bench press, etc.) have a bell shaped resistance curves or shift the resistance through multiple muscle groups throughout the exercise's range of motion allowing the muscles to momentarily relax between repetitions. This period of momentary relaxation between repetitions allows greater opportunity for momentary blood flow permitting the clearing of acid accumulation."

nosaj7 is a name known to all. (+5000) nosaj7 is a name known to all. (+5000) nosaj7 is a name known to all. (+5000) nosaj7 is a name known to all. (+5000) nosaj7 is a name known to all. (+5000) nosaj7 is a name known to all. (+5000) nosaj7 is a name known to all. (+5000) nosaj7 is a name known to all. (+5000) nosaj7 is a name known to all. (+5000) nosaj7 is a name known to all. (+5000) nosaj7 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Box squats and no need to worry bout grass stains. Or shartin on yourself