mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

May I ask for some feedback?

We are dog people, we had two Pit Bulls until last Dec when we lost our old man to cancer at 14. Our female is 13. Both dawgs lived through the kids getting older but now the female is used to being home alone with us as our daughters are starting their own lives.

My husband is a very reasonable man, I truly adore him....I like to make him happy as he does me. Since our Buddy died last Dec he has been on a MISSION to get a puppy. I would adore a puppy, but I feel it is so unfair to our old dawg to introduce a puppy into her life at this age.

What are your thoughts...perhaps you have some insight I have not considered.

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You mean that the old dog will become like a surrogate mother which would be too much for her at her age? Or you mean it's unfair in the sense that she won't get as much care and attention w/a new puppy in the household?
    Sept of Baelor was an inside job. Wildfire can't melt stone masonry.

mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
    You mean that the old dog will become like a surrogate mother which would be too much for her at her age? Or you mean it's unfair in the sense that she won't get as much care and attention w/a new puppy in the household?
    I believe that a puppy requires a lot of attention and training. If you are going to seek a powerful breed of dog as my husband desires it is your responsibility to make that animal safe. Both my PBs were competition dawgs, it took time. I feel the old dawg would be slighted.

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mydawgs View Post
    I believe that a puppy requires a lot of attention and training. If you are going to seek a powerful breed of dog as my husband desires it is your responsibility to make that animal safe. Both my PBs were competition dawgs, it took time. I feel the old dawg would be slighted.
    So the latter of what I said? Sorry, I'm still confused.

Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
    So the latter of what I said? Sorry, I'm still confused.
    Yes the latter....sorry I confused you

Yes the latter....sorry I confused you
    Losing an old dog that's been w/you since it's birth and then immediately going out and getting a puppy is common but not the best idea in my opinion. It's an act of desperation and acts of desperation are rarely good. So for that reason plus the ones you've listed, I think you're right for not wanting a new puppy.

mfair005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfair005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfair005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfair005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfair005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfair005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Out of curiosity, what kind of competition do you do with your dogs? I compete with dogs as well and have had numerous at a time. What I normally do with a pup is crate and rotate. Most of my puppies don't get introduced to the older dogs until they are at least 6 months. This gets the puppy more bonded with me (less intrested in the older dogs and less likely to pull the annoying puppy antics with the older dogs , once they are finally introduced) This also allows one on one time with the older dog.

penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    With the age gap the puppy will possibly annoy the older dog along with garnering all the attention.

Personally I have had much more luck with adopting dogs 1+ years and older. I also advocate adopting rather than buying but that is a personal choice. Adopting saves a life. The older dogs tend to be potty trained and only need a refresher course especially if you get them from a rescue and the dog has been fostered in a home. I got one of my dogs from a family that lost their jobs. He was about a year old. He came to me potty trained and with manners. I would like a puppy but my two are so much easier to deal with on a daily basis. A puppy is a huge commitment.

Are you close to retiring? Do you think a puppy will be a hassle in your life in the next year to three years? Are two dogs instead of one going to make things more difficult?

UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You know mydawgs,
    I've been thinking about adopting a younger dog because my golden retriever is getting older (11) and I thought it might perk her up. However, if you think your older will be grouchy with a pup maybe it is better to wait.

Originally Posted by mfair005 View Post
    Out of curiosity, what kind of competition do you do with your dogs? I compete with dogs as well and have had numerous at a time. What I normally do with a pup is crate and rotate. Most of my puppies don't get introduced to the older dogs until they are at least 6 months. This gets the puppy more bonded with me (less intrested in the older dogs and less likely to pull the annoying puppy antics with the older dogs , once they are finally introduced) This also allows one on one time with the older dog.
    My boy did Schutzhund...really quick, great on the out, but could not really out do his guardian colleagues in the bite work LOL.

My girl did OB and did well!

And how you work a puppy in is IMO a very valid way! Takes work.....yes?

Originally Posted by penny0527 View Post
    With the age gap the puppy will possibly annoy the older dog along with garnering all the attention.

Personally I have had much more luck with adopting dogs 1+ years and older. I also advocate adopting rather than buying but that is a personal choice. Adopting saves a life. The older dogs tend to be potty trained and only need a refresher course especially if you get them from a rescue and the dog has been fostered in a home. I got one of my dogs from a family that lost their jobs. He was about a year old. He came to me potty trained and with manners. I would like a puppy but my two are so much easier to deal with on a daily basis. A puppy is a huge commitment.

Are you close to retiring? Do you think a puppy will be a hassle in your life in the next year to three years? Are two dogs instead of one going to make things more difficult?
    I am an executive and travel much more now than I did when I was workin mydawgs....I don't think my husband likes the training and structure I enjoyed, but I just don't have the time. A puppy would be a joy and a hassle....I am just a firm believer in doing things well, especially owning a dawg!!! One of Gods finest creations

Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Personally I wouldn't I would wait till the other dog passes. The time we got a new puppy it really seemed to stress the other dog out alot and he hated it and started getting really snappy even to us. Of course it depends a little on the age of the other dog but if she is pretty old and has any medical issues I wouldn't unless you feel like she would benefit with the company, but just remember that the puppy would probably harass and play to no end.
    I have no idea what I'm doing, I just fkking do it.
    If it's hard that just means you need to do it more until it isn't.

~DSC~X~
    *AF Vet Crew**aeronautical science student*
    ♡beards♡

Originally Posted by Hannah82 View Post
    Personally I wouldn't I would wait till the other dog passes. The time we got a new puppy it really seemed to stress the other dog out alot and he hated it and started getting really snappy even to us. Of course it depends a little on the age of the other dog but if she is pretty old and has any medical issues I wouldn't unless you feel like she would benefit with the company, but just remember that the puppy would probably harass and play to no end.
    My girl is going on 14...she is pretty healthy and she is well trained, but it would break my heart to see her have to adjust her lifestyle or behavior for a youngster. I feel she has earned a special place in the household and we owe her that place of reverence.

Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My girl is going on 14...she is pretty healthy and she is well trained, but it would break my heart to see her have to adjust her lifestyle or behavior for a youngster. I feel she has earned a special place in the household and we owe her that place of reverence.
    Well I hope you can get him to change his mind... I totally agree with you.
    I have no idea what I'm doing, I just fkking do it.
    If it's hard that just means you need to do it more until it isn't.

~DSC~X~
    *AF Vet Crew**aeronautical science student*
    ♡beards♡

Turning Betas into Gammas Wyomann's Avatar
    Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ya I think at 13-14 you might as well just wait a year or so before getting a puppy. I mean it would be cool if she really like the puppy and had a friend in her last year, but usually older dogs don't like young dogs cause they are annoying and haven't learned their manners yet.
    Transformation Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170068283&page=1
    Pinecone Fitness: https://www.********.com/Pinecone-Fitness-1635681273361328/

mfair005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfair005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfair005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfair005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfair005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfair005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My boy did Schutzhund...really quick, great on the out, but could not really out do his guardian colleagues in the bite work LOL.

My girl did OB and did well!

And how you work a puppy in is IMO a very valid way! Takes work.....yes?
    I do schutzhund as well. Just recently lost my Bouvier. I'm going I pick up a pup tomorrow. Is the new dog going to do schutzhund? Most of the guys I train with train pits. One of them won the twos at DVG nationals wih his pit. They have a few that would put some shepherds to shame! They really are great dogs.
    Puppies in general take work, add in keeping them separate and putting a decent foundation on them, it's basically a second job!

Originally Posted by mfair005 View Post
    I do schutzhund as well. Just recently lost my Bouvier. I'm going I pick up a pup tomorrow. Is the new dog going to do schutzhund? Most of the guys I train with train pits. One of them won the twos at DVG nationals wih his pit. They have a few that would put some shepherds to shame! They really are great dogs.
    Puppies in general take work, add in keeping them separate and putting a decent foundation on them, it's basically a second job!
    So sorry for your loss! Yes my boy was quick on field - nerves of steel...but the bite work was like he was just doing what he was told......which he could have been great he was heavy bull dog in his pedigree. Saint Benedicts/Mountain Man. He had the power and wind but he was just soft on the bite.

I would love to own a red Mal for competition...damn dawgs are smarter than all get out, quick...very sharp and never forget LOL

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My parents got a puppy when our dog, Bear, was getting on in age...they were hoping Lucy (the puppy) would pick up some of his characteristics. Honestly, I think she annoyed the hell out of him. Although he still played with us, he rarely played with her, and if he noticed her cuddling up to him while he was relaxing he'd get up and move away in a huff (she could get away with it sometimes if he was totally asleep). I think things would have been different if they had gotten Lucy while Bear was younger. He LOVED puppies at a time. If your dog is at a stage where he seems to need a lot more rest than he used to, the energy and constant attention puppies need is something to take into consideration as much for your other dog as yourself.

Maybe you could babysit someone's puppy for a week and see how your dog reacts. It might perk him up and be a great thing...or he could get the "Really? I have to deal with THIS?!" attitude Bear had. LOL