Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jewels8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jewels8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jewels8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

This is what I'm doing...

My name is Julie, I'm 42, 5ft 2 and weigh 103lbs.
    Protein 130 grams
    Carbs 264 grams
    Fat 36 grams
    Total of 1900 calories a day

I do have fat around my middle. Can't see it when I'm stood up but as soon as I sit its there and it's a good handful :-( if I measured it in its roll form it'll be about 5inch.. Yuck

My aim is to gain some nice muscle, get rid of the fat and look good. Been doing weights since 2007 but only really light and just to keep my bits where they're supposed to be. Anyway, I've now decided to up the weights and get some decent muscle.

My plan has been

Full body workout every other day. I was doing 4 sets and 7 reps ( to failure & it took about an hour to do) I then had a protein shake right after.

Now I've changed my plan. Today I started to do, 3 sets of 12 reps and I've worked my arms, back and chest. Tomorrow I'll do my bum and legs. When I've done my workout I have whey protein and some cornflakes with semi skimmed milk. I've been reading that fat free chocolate milk is good with whey protein post workout, so thinking if getting some.

No idea if what I'm doing is good, bad or ugly so anyone out there with some input to my plan then go for it, please.

I read too much I think and then I get confused with what's the best routine and so on.

Well that's me and that's all for now.

J x
    My name is Julie & I'm trying so hard now to make sure my bits stay where they should be x

SultanaK is a name known to all. (+5000) SultanaK is a name known to all. (+5000) SultanaK is a name known to all. (+5000) SultanaK is a name known to all. (+5000) SultanaK is a name known to all. (+5000) SultanaK is a name known to all. (+5000) SultanaK is a name known to all. (+5000) SultanaK is a name known to all. (+5000) SultanaK is a name known to all. (+5000) SultanaK is a name known to all. (+5000) SultanaK is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Starting Strength.

/endthread

Jewels8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jewels8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jewels8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Can you explain that please, sorry I'm not clued in at all :-/

Cheers
    J x
    My name is Julie & I'm trying so hard now to make sure my bits stay where they should be x

SultanaK is a name known to all. (+5000) SultanaK is a name known to all. (+5000) SultanaK is a name known to all. (+5000) SultanaK is a name known to all. (+5000) SultanaK is a name known to all. (+5000) SultanaK is a name known to all. (+5000) SultanaK is a name known to all. (+5000) SultanaK is a name known to all. (+5000) SultanaK is a name known to all. (+5000) SultanaK is a name known to all. (+5000) SultanaK is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It's a routine made for building good muscle and get you obtaining those newbie gains.

3x/week with the right nutrition (you're doing good on that already) and sticking to the plan to the tee will show you results quick (under a year as opposed to over a year with other methods). Do a search about it on here or Google it. There is a book you could buy, too.

Thanks for that info and I'm off to Goigle it.

Just one question I have...Am I best doing full body workout every other day or doing my arms, chest and back one day and my bum and legs the next?

Thanks again? I totally appreciate your advice.

J x

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Here's a few programs to check into:

Starting Strength Routine

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw52.htm

Bill Star’s 5 x 5 Programs

http://oldschooltrainer.com/bill-starrs-5-x-5-training/

All Pro’s Beginner Routine

http://simplebeginnerroutine.wikia.c...r_Routine_Wiki

Lyle McDonald’s Routine

http://www.jcdfitness.com/2009/01/ly...lking-routine/

Keep your focus on the compound lifts: bench, rows, overhead press, squats, deads, pullups, chin-ups, dips, etc...These are the important lifts that work multiple muscle groups and they are needed for building a solid foundation.

Pre/post workouts meals are a personal preference. To me that's the little stuff that doesn't make a difference. What's most important is getting in your total calories for the day.

Good luck!
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Thanks to you both. Your input had been very helpful.

Signing in for the day

Good morning lifting today.

I did my bum and legs. 3 set if 12 reps which was to failure. I felt it very much :-)

Tomorrow is rest day and then I will start back on Monday doing full body of 3 sets of 12 reps. When I can do with ease I will up the weights slightly and continue with my 3 sets if 12 reps. I have no idea if this is good or not.

Now I'm on 2000 cals today, yesterday was 1900.

I've upped by 100 cals because I'm starting to feel hungry in between my meals (6 meals)

My Macros today are
    Protein 138 grams
    Fat 43 grams
    Carbs 244 grams

Question for anyone? Will I need to keep upping my calorie intake when I feel my numbers don't satisfy me? And if yes do I up the carb or a bit of each?

That's me done now till Monday morning

Probably have a ton more question also by then.

Happy weekend all

J x
    Last edited by Jewels8; 05-11-2013 at 01:52 PM.

kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Jewels8 View Post
    Question for anyone? Will I need to keep upping my calorie intake when I feel my numbers don't satisfy me? And if yes do I up the carb or a bit of each?
    I think the "satisfaction per calorie" will depend on what type of food you're eating ... at least it does for me anyway.

You are just starting out so you can get some easy body recomposition in the beginning (losing fat and building muscle), if you lift heavy and eat at maintenance ... then you can see where you're at later and see if you want to cut or bulk.
    My powerlifting journal:
    Adaptation ~ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169905603

Thanks.

I eat very clean to be honest but its the food I really enjoy. I don't eat meat at all, just fish which I love.

I eat loads of vegetables but sadly I can't eat sweet potato as it bloats me something awful :-/

My BMR is 1547 and I now eat 2000 a day.

Typical food a day is

Breakfast
    Juiced veggies. Kale, cucumber, celery which I might ditch as its very high in sodium, full lemon juice and broccoli.

Then it's a bowl if cornflakes with semi skimmed milk, was porridge but then I read you need simple carbs in a morning as your body has fasted over night.

I also have 15 grams of whey protein.

2 1/2 hours later I do my weight lifting workout. As soon as I've done it i have 30 grams of protein with water and a small bowl if cornflakes and semi skimmed milk.

Lunch would be something like a whole meal tuna and salad sandwich with some light mayo or a jacket potato with tuna and salad or homemade soup and a 50% less fat mature cheddar cheese with rocket lettuce or whole wheat pasta with homemade chilli tomato sauce with mushrooms.

Afternoon snack would be 15 grams of protein with water and some almonds and walnuts or a slice of whole wheat toast with peanut butter.

Evening meal would either be brown rice cooked and then dry fried with garlic, mushrooms and peas along with salad and fish OR garlic prawns with spelt spaghetti. Plus green vegetables and cauliflower.

Before bed 15 grams of casein protein.

So that's my meals

:-)
    Last edited by Jewels8; 05-11-2013 at 12:27 PM.

kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Sounds good to me! I think most people around here are flexible about what they eat as long as it fits their macros

Did you pick a weightlifting program yet? I agree with Sultana that Starting Strength is a good one...that's what I'm up to. Haven't tried the others Kimm linked to but I'm sure they're good too.
    My powerlifting journal:

I'm liking the SS workout but I'm not starting it yet until I get a bench and chin up bar, both on order so it'll be a week tomorrow I start SS. In the meantime I'll continue working with my barbell at home and I'll do full body workout doing 3 sets of 12 x every other day.

QUESTION

I've read the SS workout I'll have to eat 3000 - 5000 calories a day OMG :-/ I'm struggling with 2000 so what foods can I add? Does it matter if I add more fats? This will mean going well over my macros and its confused me on what to eat.

Anyway, I can feel my abs, bum and legs today. I really gave them a good workout yesterday and boy can I feel them today. :-)))))

I find the lifting fun but the food part a pure headache so anybody with any ideas then I'm all ears 👂👂👂👂👂 thanks.

That's all for now. It's a nice chill-out day
    in Scotland for me.

J x

3000-5000 calories a day...where did you read that?? Sounds strange.
    I think in the nutrition section there are stickies that can help you figure out how many calories you need...it varies depending on your activity level and your weight and your body composition and all that. I know there are some guys around here who need that many calories to maintain huge amounts of muscle...I really doubt you would need that much though!
    My powerlifting journal:

Phew, you're a life saver. So pleased I don't need more calories. I'd read it when reading about the SS workout in the first link above. I had worked out a while back that I needed about 1900 and I'd been doing that until I started to feel hungry in between my six meals a day. I then upped it to 2000 which I'm happy with and can just about keep clean.

I'm looking forward to starting the SS a week tomorrow, it looks a good work out.

I've just bought some Nesquick fat free chocolate milkshake powder which I'll take after each workout with skimmed milk. I'd read that this is an excellent recovery drink and the best is, it'll taste nice. I'll also take 15 grams of whey protein. I'm going to find out the amount of carbs and protein my body size needs after lifting and adjust my recovery drink to match.

Thanks again for your valuable input, its made my day :-)

How do you add pictures to these pages? Thanks

J x
    Last edited by Jewels8; 05-12-2013 at 11:30 AM.

How to embed images - here's a good thread with instructions
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...3994001&page=1

There's also a thread that explains how to embed videos too in case you want to do a form check video
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=142333271
    My powerlifting journal:

Thanks. Off to look at the links :-)

After working it out from your link I tried to add a picture and it says I can't add it as I need 50 points or more and I've only got 42, so I guess that's no pictures for now :-/

After working it out from your link I tried to add a picture and it says I can't add it as I need 50 points or more and I've only got 42, so I guess that's no pictures for now :-/
    You're almost there though! Just a few more.
    My powerlifting journal:

Yes, nearly there. I guess I'll have a little longer to workout before I reach 50 so my pictures will be just that little bit better ;-)

Did my full body workout of 3 sets 12 reps.

Looking at my weight amounts I feel a light wimp :-/

I will do a fully body workout again on Wednesday and Friday and then have Saturday and Sunday off, then start SS on Monday when my other equipment arrives.

Food today was yummy

Breakfast
    56 grams of Cornflakes with 200ml of skimmed milk
    15 grams of whey protein and 15 grams of casinate protein.

One and a half hour later I did my lifting and then had two scoops of Nesquick fat free chocolate milk with 200ml of skimmed milk and 30 grams of Whey protein. That was 2:1 and the correct amount of each for my weight ( or so I've worked out )

Lunch was a tin of tuna in spring water with light mayonnaise on two whole wheat buns with mixed lettuce.

Afternoon snack was a slice of whole wheat toast and light philidelphia.

Evening meal was potatoes chopped like big chunky chips and sprinkled with cajun spices and then oven baked, plus a light dusted cod fillet and mushy peas.

Before bed I'll have a 15 gram scoop of whey protein in water.

My totals were
    Protein 156 grams
    Fat 56 grams
    Carbs 232 grams

Total calories 1976

My new dress arrived today and very nice it is :-)

I'm starting to see my shape coming back which is very pleasing. I do feel a little disappointed that some of my lifts weren't to failure :-(

Lift heavier on Wednesday

J x
    Last edited by Jewels8; 05-13-2013 at 02:45 PM.

It's been one of those days where I've been looking at my weights and itching to lift, but its my rest day so I've resisted.

I'll add my macros later.

Question...Do you add the barbell bar to your weight amount lifted?

Protein 154 grams
    Fat 38 grams
    Carbs 242 grams
    Total cals 1972
    Last edited by Jewels8; 05-14-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Another good morning lifting. Upped my weights a little and felt good at the end of my hours lifting.

My price was two scoops of chocolate milk with two scoops of whey vanilla protein and and skimmed milk.

I've taken to garlic and chilli infused olive oil, love garlic and chilli so a great way to get my healthy fats :-)

So, it's the weekend off for me. No lifting :-( Wow its so addictive. Might just take a nice long leisurely walk somewhere, but not sure where yet.

I can see body changes going on so I guess I'm doing something right.

Everyone have a love weekend :-)

J x

yes add the weight of the bar too....if your gym doesn't have a scale you could just assume the bar is 45 pounds
    sounds like you are doing great!! I agree it is addictive ...lol
    Almost 50 posts too
    My powerlifting journal:

Thanks for info regarding the barbell. I'll add it.

Not going to manage to eat all my 2000 cals today. Just had evening meal and I'm 348 cals off.

It's been a nice sunny day in Scotland, it could do with more heat in it though :-/

Looking forward to lifting tomorrow, feel lazy when its rest day.
    Last edited by Jewels8; 05-19-2013 at 12:11 PM.

You think you're lazy on rest days? I think I have you beat...it's my rest day and I didn't even roll out of bed until 4pm today.

lol
    My powerlifting journal:

Kaledia, that sounds such a treat. I only do that when I've had too much to drink lol and that's been a long long time.

I cannot believe how many grams of fat I ate today. 76g, wow I never take that much but due to half an avocado and one teaspoon of chill infused olive oil I was way up.

Workout was good and left me knowing I'd done it. Delay on starting my new workout program because my additional equipment hasn't arrived. The joys of living in the Scottish outback :-(

Anyway, I did my lifting which was good and enjoyable and then followed it with my fat free chocolate milk and whey :-)

I can see my body taking a leaner shape but my stomach still has this lower ab fat....When will it gooooooo?

I have no excess fat anywhere but this stomach fat is refusing to leave me.

Any ideas on the stomach fat then is love to hear them.

Day of recovery tomorrow.

I have another question...I eat sesame seeds with my breakfast because they are high in calcium and other beneficial vitamins and minerals and I chew but there is now way I can chew each one so my question is, do you get the goodness from them if they don't get chewed?

Over and out for tonight :-)

J x

Day of rest.

Today I weighed myself and I've dropped 1lb.

I'm feeling way too thin and yet I eat more than I've ever eaten in my life.

I'm getting toned and my muscle is building but its making me look too thin.

Will I start to bulk out if I carry on? The trouble is my lower stomach is holding on to its fat and so it's not a good look :-/ stood up I'm fine but when I sit the fat just blobs.

I seem to be getting thinner with more stomach fat.

Any suggestions on this one, please?

Day of rest.

Today I weighed myself and I've dropped 1lb.

I'm feeling way too thin and yet I eat more than I've ever eaten in my life.

I'm getting toned and my muscle is building but its making me look too thin.

Will I start to bulk out if I carry on? The trouble is my lower stomach is holding on to its fat and so it's not a good look :-/ stood up I'm fine but when I sit the fat just blobs.

I seem to be getting thinner with more stomach fat.

Any suggestions on this one, please?
    Hey you have 50 posts now Maybe a picture so we can see what you mean? Which areas feel too thin?

I'm still mostly a beginner too though - maybe someone more experienced can pop in with good tips. In my first 6 months of weightlifting I ate enough to maintain the same weight, got smaller and firmer all over but stayed the same weight. I haven't even tried to bulk or cut yet, so I don't know much about that...I was pretty happy where I ended up with just a little bit of body recomposition while eating at maintenance. At your stats it sounds like you don't need to lose weight ...at least I don't think so
    My powerlifting journal:

Kaleida be prepared for a gross lump of fat, maybe just peek with one eye lol

Now for the gross one

Now, where does this lower fat come from? its anyones guess. Stood up I can't pinch an inch, seated I can grab a handful.

Just quick snapped some pictures for you to view. I'm hoping the more I workout the more this fat will dissolve failing that there is always surgery lol

In an hours time I'll be doing my lifting workout :-) and then it's out for lunch with daughter and my Mr.

Good day to everyone.

J x

girl you are crazy if you think that's a gross lump of fat you look perfectly fine to me!
    My tummy is the same way... it looks flat when I'm standing but more relaxed when I'm sitting. I think you look great.
    My powerlifting journal: