Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Runnin back

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by RollTideNation View Post
    You need to build strength and explosiveness. You need to be fast for 5-15yds, which is pretty much saying that you just need to be quick. The mental aspect is probably the most important. Be tough and don't settle for anything less than a beat down on the other guy. Work on footwork and exploding out to make blocks. Do agility work like ladders and cone drills. Get strong in the compound lifts, work on flexibility, and do plenty of plyometrics. If you need a template or routine, let me know. Adding in some strongman stuff like tire flips keg loads/tosses could be a great help. Don't do any ridiculous distance running, 300yd shuttles, or gassers. Those have no carryover. Do 10-30yd sprints and add in some resisted sprints (hills, bleachers, sled, tire drag, prowler). Joe DeFranco wrote a football conditioning article a while back.

Get bigger if need be, but you really need to focus on exploding out, being aggressive, and technique.
    Agreed. Great advice! Explosiveness is much more important than top end speed for a Fullback. The 40 is just a measure for top end speed, not explosiveness. Work on the short explosive drills/sprint RollTide mentions. Work on your footwork and your blocking technique.

BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SDOptimist View Post
    Agreed. Great advice! Explosiveness is much more important than top end speed for a Fullback. The 40 is just a measure for top end speed, not explosiveness. Work on the short explosive drills/sprint RollTide mentions. Work on your footwork and your blocking technique.
    Sadly I got to do some long distance crap to. We do so much of it in practice ( seems kinda pointless cause it's not explosive at all ) and If I'm bad at it coaches get pissy

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by BigStewTheJew View Post
    Sadly I got to do some long distance crap to. We do so much of it in practice ( seems kinda pointless cause it's not explosive at all ) and If I'm bad at it coaches get pissy
    The long distance stuff, gasers and other stuff is good because it builds a good base of endurance. You wan't to be able to give it your all during the whole game. Speed training won't do that. You have to do some type of endurance training regularly to keep a good level of fitness. You want to be out on the field for every snap, and not taken out because you are gasping for air. So take those drills very serious. BTW..did you get my pm?

BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by AimSmall View Post
    educated response bud! Basically your way of stepping down from the argument.

SD is right. Regardless of how many carries a fullback gets, he is on the field to block. A fullback isn't the primary ball carrier in any offense, not even the option.

Not at all. I just recognize obtuse rhetoric when I see it. This guy spends 900 words going in circles saying the same thing over and over, thinking that makes him more "right". Kinda reminds me of my ex wife - you could give up knowing her stupid ass is never gonna get it, leave the room, come back 20 minutes later, and she'd still be taking.

This guy is claiming a fullback is not a primary (I never said "the" primary) ball carrier- when the fact is, only two other people will touch it more than him- the QB and tailback.

That pretty much makes him a primary ball handler.

The kid even said that he runs quite bit.

But hey, don't let facts stand in the way of typing another 8 page response that still does not change the facts.
    Nobody improves without trying. Period.

Listen to your wisdom as you gain it. Rarely are things lost forever. Change is usually always possible. Second chances sometimes reveal better results than first chances. Always look to believe that you can and will be better. You're not done until you give up.

(Bear= wife's nickname for me... Luna= my nickname for her)

BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by BigStewTheJew View Post
    Our fullbacks don't block as much as most offensives. Ours get a minimum of 20 per game
    Imagine that- a primary ball handler.

Don't expect stating that - again - will change Schmoes rally against high schoolers giving a crap about speed.
    Nobody improves without trying. Period.

Listen to your wisdom as you gain it. Rarely are things lost forever. Change is usually always possible. Second chances sometimes reveal better results than first chances. Always look to believe that you can and will be better. You're not done until you give up.

(Bear= wife's nickname for me... Luna= my nickname for her)

iballhard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iballhard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iballhard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iballhard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iballhard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iballhard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iballhard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iballhard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iballhard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iballhard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iballhard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey big stew, i had a defensive end on a semi pro team i coached a few years back who actualy got moved to fullback by the end of the season. and he was a beast man, anyways, he had his own rutine he did at home everyday flipping this huge truck tire in his backyard, or in his driveway or whatever. and if you do it correctly, its pretty much the same form you would use blocking, even a big log would work.

BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by iballhard View Post
    hey big stew, i had a defensive end on a semi pro team i coached a few years back who actualy got moved to fullback by the end of the season. and he was a beast man, anyways, he had his own rutine he did at home everyday flipping this huge truck tire in his backyard, or in his driveway or whatever. and if you do it correctly, its pretty much the same form you would use blocking, even a big log would work.
    I've seen guys who do those drills. Gotta find me a big tire
    Originally Posted by SDOptimist View Post
    The long distance stuff, gasers and other stuff is good because it builds a good base of endurance. You wan't to be able to give it your all during the whole game. Speed training won't do that. You have to do some type of endurance training regularly to keep a good level of fitness. You want to be out on the field for every snap, and not taken out because you are gasping for air. So take those drills very serious. BTW..did you get my pm?
    think that may've gotten deleted without
    Inbox was full so I deleted everything..me noticing =(