Thread: Spartan race

Taki22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Spartan race

Not sure if I'm putting this in the right place but couldn't find anywhere else it would fit in properly. No it's not a bodybuilding contest but its a contest all the same.
    I've just started training for 2013 Spartan Race in the UK. Now I have a lot of non believers who ask why the hell I want to do something so "stupid". It's taken a lot of guts for me to sign up to this due to lack of support. However I dug deep inside myself and realised that where I come from is a horrible little town where people don't do anything. They think grocery shopping is a day out and a balanced food intake in a fad diet. Oh and supplements are for roiders. Backward thinking never were bunch of nothing's.
    I'm a 30year old mum of 3 I work my ass off and play even harder (all that is done until after the race) I wanted to challenge myself and having done the race for life more times than I can remember. Pah race uh no nice little stroll with friends for most of the people who do it. I wanted something more challenging and plain running bores me my mind wonders and I switch off. So when my fiancé mentioned the words Spartan and Race I perked my ears up. Ok I kinda thought nah never me I'm not fit enough, no one would believe me. You know usual crap that comes with small town living. Then as I said I had enough of the non believers and just though Do It. What they gonna do? Bitch and moan I don't go to lunch because I'm always at the gym. They moan because I work rather than stay home and look after my kids. Never been a kept woman not gonna start now.
    So there the idea was firmly planted in my head. I contacted Gaspari and got some advice and I started the Jamie Eason program. Now I know this program isn't designed for Spartan training but its a hell of a start. I dusted off my faithful old trainers I seem to have had forever and I got myself back to the gym.
    I admit I'm a long way off my desired fitness level but one day at a time. My fiancé keeps telling me whenever I start dropping at the gym "If you want that tattoo you better push" now I lay in bed every night aching like I've been hit by a road roller and I wake every morning as stiff as a corpse but I'm loving it.
    Finally I'm starting to get some support and not from friends but from companies and organisations who don't know me at all but they believe in me more than so called friends and family and that is driving me. Now I owe them I have to show them what their support helped a little 30 year old mum from a backwater Welsh town to do.
    I will be Spartan.

Evie000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just completed my first Spartan Sprint in Malibu last weekend. Even though it was my 3rd mud run, it was by far the best one I have done. I didn't really do it for time but more for the sake of completing it. My suggestion is ramp up your work out to include cardio endurance and body weight exercise. Pull ups, push ups, and burpees. If you can trail on hills, do it. A lot of it is mind over matter. Completion rate for these events are pretty high. It's not impossible. If you miss an obstacle, you do 30 burpees. No big deal. Once you complete it, you will definitely feel like you can accomplish anything. Good luck! I'm looking forward to my Super Spartan in January. Arooo!!!

CardsBigMac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try tough mudder too, really great event.

BWilliams212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by CardsBigMac View Post
    Try tough mudder too, really great event.
    Yep there's one here Feb 23 & Feb 24, in Atlanta. Not nearly as tough as the spartan race but I honestly had more fun at it.

MrWendall311 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I started crossfit as a way of getting back in shape really quick. The spartan race was a lot easier after this and I was fully prepared. Don't know if you have crossfit over in the UK though.

xMiiDNIGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) xMiiDNIGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) xMiiDNIGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) xMiiDNIGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) xMiiDNIGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) xMiiDNIGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) xMiiDNIGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) xMiiDNIGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) xMiiDNIGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) xMiiDNIGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) xMiiDNIGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Signed up for the one in Calgary in August, already starting with some crossfit exercises like box jumps and jumping chinups. As well as some grip training.

kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    My old lady talked me into doing the one coming up in April in Indiana. It sounds like fun, but I've got some cardio work to do before then. And I really hope I don't end up with some sort of injury. After running the last race she signed me up for, I ended up with bursitis in both knees for a month. Guess I'd better work on my flexibility, too. Yuck.

Registered User michael.woodcum's Avatar
    michael.woodcum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) michael.woodcum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) michael.woodcum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) michael.woodcum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) michael.woodcum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) michael.woodcum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) michael.woodcum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) michael.woodcum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) michael.woodcum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) michael.woodcum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) michael.woodcum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Me and some friends from work are doing the Spartan Sprint in North Carolina in March 2013. We are attempting to complete the Trifecta this year.

illgrillchill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Everyone keep up the awesomeness! Did my first Spartan Race June 2012 and am doing another one July 2013.

Do it up!

K0HD33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K0HD33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K0HD33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K0HD33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K0HD33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K0HD33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K0HD33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K0HD33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K0HD33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K0HD33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K0HD33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For those training for a Spartan Race: You should be doing Burpees! A lot of them! Not only are they a great bodyweight exercise but they will improve your cardio fitness. ...and if you fail an obstacle, you'll be doing 30 of them. Add them to any workout. I like to do them post workouts when I am tired. I also use them with HIIT workouts. Like 1 min burpees, 30 sec rest- 1min jumping lunge, 30sec rest- 1 min plank 30 sec rest. repeat x ?? Taki22: I am not sure about the UK Spartan Race but in the states you can sign up for their WOD (Workout of the day), they are awesome and will push you! The most important thing is that you have Fun! Good luck with your race. Warning, this may only be the beginning of your OCR adventure =)))
    My only competition is the man I was yesterday!

To each his/her own. So, don't be a hater. The world has too many already!

Ciper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ciper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ciper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ciper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ciper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ciper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I will sign up for that too