BlackJackMac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Advice for filling in obliques.

I'm a typical "ectomorph," just under 5'7" and around 127 lbs (7% bf), trying to get in shape for boxing, but i'm having a real difficult time developing my obliques, something i'll probably need to be able to handle body shots well. I've been doing russian twists and side crunches like crazy recently but can't seem to make any decent progress. The corners of my ribcage tend to stick out, so I want to try to make that much less visible as well. *pic included*

I've got access to a very good gym but it doesn't have an oblique twist machine, which makes my goal a bit tricky. Otherwise, they've got just about everything.

Any recommendations re: specific exercises and repetitions would be great!
    Attached Images

mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You wont gain anything if you don't eat enough. Eat more and lift.
    Look under your chair. YOU GET A REP, AND YOU GET A REP, REPS FOR EVERYONE! If I get a rep, you get a rep, every time. Give me a link to make my life a little easier.

If you don't give me a link and you didn't post in the thread you rep'd me in, I'm not gonna go searching for you. I'll get everyone on recharge.

Location: Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    samcorin will become famous soon enough. (+50) samcorin will become famous soon enough. (+50) samcorin will become famous soon enough. (+50) samcorin will become famous soon enough. (+50) samcorin will become famous soon enough. (+50) samcorin will become famous soon enough. (+50) samcorin will become famous soon enough. (+50) samcorin will become famous soon enough. (+50) samcorin will become famous soon enough. (+50) samcorin will become famous soon enough. (+50) samcorin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    At your current weight you will have to eat more tho build any muscle. Just eat to your nutritional needs and work hard. If you want exercises for your obliques then research it on Youtube or Google
    Friday 12th October
    Bench press - Rep max: 145 lbs
    Military press - Rep max: ???
    Close grip bench press - Rep max: 154 lbs
    Squats - Rep max: 205 lbs
    Bent over barbell rows - Rep max: ???
    Deadlifts - Rep max: ???

Originally Posted by samcorin View Post
    At your current weight you will have to eat more tho build any muscle. Just eat to your nutritional needs and work hard. If you want exercises for your obliques then research it on Youtube or Google
    Eating won't be a problem for me, but since i'm in college and living on campus, should I really be very worried about the fat content of the food here? I'd like to keep my bf % as low as I can, but will it matter if i'm working out hard enough?

Location: Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    samcorin will become famous soon enough. (+50) samcorin will become famous soon enough. (+50) samcorin will become famous soon enough. (+50) samcorin will become famous soon enough. (+50) samcorin will become famous soon enough. (+50) samcorin will become famous soon enough. (+50) samcorin will become famous soon enough. (+50) samcorin will become famous soon enough. (+50) samcorin will become famous soon enough. (+50) samcorin will become famous soon enough. (+50) samcorin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BlackJackMac View Post
    Eating won't be a problem for me, but since i'm in college and living on campus, should I really be very worried about the fat content of the food here? I'd like to keep my bf % as low as I can, but will it matter if i'm working out hard enough?
    I am also currently at college, I bring in my own food. Just pack some high calorie-low fat foods. But like I said, at your weight you shouldn't have to worry about fat content in foods (to an extent).
    Friday 12th October
    Bench press - Rep max: 145 lbs
    Military press - Rep max: ???
    Close grip bench press - Rep max: 154 lbs
    Squats - Rep max: 205 lbs
    Bent over barbell rows - Rep max: ???
    Deadlifts - Rep max: ???

grobblepot is just really nice. (+1000) grobblepot is just really nice. (+1000) grobblepot is just really nice. (+1000) grobblepot is just really nice. (+1000) grobblepot is just really nice. (+1000) grobblepot is just really nice. (+1000) grobblepot is just really nice. (+1000) grobblepot is just really nice. (+1000) grobblepot is just really nice. (+1000) grobblepot is just really nice. (+1000) grobblepot is just really nice. (+1000)
    have you tried side planks? look it up im sure my eexplanation won't be as good as a video. you lay on your side, then lean on your left or right arm (so your forearm is flat on the ground), then you make your torso straight and tense your core. its very similar to a regular plank.

BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Weighted planks and unilateral kettlebell work (swings, cleans, snatches, get-ups, etc) would be extremely useful for your sport.

and eat.. alot.
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] Equipment Crew #57 [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

[]──[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #26 []──[]

❍--❍ York Barbell Club #34 ❍--❍

☆☆☆ That On3 Cr3w That Has Too Much Pow3r Cr3w ☆☆☆

Originally Posted by grobblepot View Post
    have you tried side planks? look it up im sure my eexplanation won't be as good as a video. you lay on your side, then lean on your left or right arm (so your forearm is flat on the ground), then you make your torso straight and tense your core. its very similar to a regular plank.
    I do those too, usually for one minute each. Would it make any difference if I did them with my arm straight?

InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BloodType3R View Post
    Weighted planks
    This. I do these alot for core strength and abs are semi visable thru my blubber
    My Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149612633

Crew Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157295413&p=1141543273#post1141543273

Da Utubez: http://www.youtube.com/user/Inspeckdadeck

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by BlackJackMac View Post
    I'm a typical "ectomorph," just under 5'7" and around 127 lbs (7% bf), trying to get in shape for boxing, but i'm having a real difficult time developing my obliques, something i'll probably need to be able to handle body shots well. I've been doing russian twists and side crunches like crazy recently but can't seem to make any decent progress. The corners of my ribcage tend to stick out, so I want to try to make that much less visible as well. *pic included*

I've got access to a very good gym but it doesn't have an oblique twist machine, which makes my goal a bit tricky. Otherwise, they've got just about everything.

Any recommendations re: specific exercises and repetitions would be great!
    You have a good oblique "starter kit" going. You just need to fill in overall and you'll be fine. Don't prioritize oblique training, trust me, just train hard and they'll fill in just fine.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Did some good side planks, as well as some different twists with a cable machine tonight, felt great! Thank you guys for the advice!

repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    For core strength, I'd recommend all the classic big standing lifts like squats and barbell military press. Choose standing rather than sitting exercises, so your spine is not supported by the bench. And find ways to make your obliques work harder, like doing unilateral moves - one arm at a time, to create a diagonal force across your core that your obliques must resist.

If you're training for boxing, you're training for functional strength rather than hypertrophy. To resist punches, you want exercises that create a powerful isometric contraction. Plus, obviously lots and lots of pad work!