RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Intermittent Fasting - my experience

I don't wanna start a lengthy discussion on whether there is enough scientific or anecdotal evidence that supports intermittent fasting as an effective solution for losing fat. To be honest, I couldn’t care less what some academics conclude in their studies or what 3 guys down the gym say. Nothing works for everyone and everything works for someone.

I’m only interested in what works for me and intermittent fasting is doing the job.

I’ve been following IF for 2 months and I’ve lost about 7lbs of lard but reckon I’ve put on at least 3lbs of muscle. Strength is well up and I generally feel good. I know these aren’t exactly mind blowing numbers but bear with me and I’ll explain why I find IF so effective.

First, a few points worth noting:

• I don’t calorie/macronutrient count.
    • Although my diet is generally ‘clean’, I’m no way near as restricted as I have been in the past.
    • I lax things somewhat over the weekend and treat myself to least one takeout/junk meal.
    • Hunger throughout the fasting period is no problem at all.
    • Eating during the non fasting period leaves me very full.

I’m following a pretty simple IF pattern, eating only between 1:00pm and 9:00pm daily. This fits well for me as my weakness has always been munching in the evenings, which is now not a problem. Hunger during the fast is no more than I’ve experienced in the past. By midday I do start to feel quite hungry and look forward to ‘kicking things’ off at 1.

Perhaps the only problem (if you wanna call it that) that I initially experienced is managing to eat enough to hit my target calories/macronutrients. I found eating about 2,300Kcal in 8 hours tough going on some days, especially given that I was so used to eating 6+ small meals over an entire day. After 2 weeks of this I packed in calorie counting and now just eat as much as I want. I don’t come close to being hungry during the 8 hours of eating which leaves me ample room should I want to lower the calories for some serious cutting.

I find IF so easy to do that I wouldn’t call it a ‘diet’ in the traditional sense. To me, it’s a lifestyle choice and is now just my normal eating pattern.

I know there are advocates that swear by the many claimed health benefits of IF like reduce blood pressure, reduce cholesterol levels etc.. – who knows. All I do know that IF is working very well for me, very easy to do and is a way of eating that I’ll probably stick to long term. I’m not saying IF is for everyone but it’s working very well for me and I wanted to share my experience with you all.
    Train hard, eat well, get plenty sleep - repeat

JoshMck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That sounds positive. If IF fits in with your lifestyle it is good. Different things work for different people. Thanks for passing your experience on. IF might be a good way to kick my fat loss back into gear :P
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148086033 - Workout log.

Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Wow , you are doing pretty much everything exactly the same as me. We even got the same eating window, to me its just a normal eating pattern now , heck even started doing IF without knowing anything about it untill 1 year later when I stumbled over it browsing around the web. Seems to just be a natural way of living to me.

Thank for sharing your experience, and since you do everything identical to me I dont have to make a post like this

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by RobjConnor View Post
    I don’t calorie/macronutrient count.

Perhaps the only problem (if you wanna call it that) that I initially experienced is managing to eat enough to hit my target calories/macronutrients.
    How do you know if you don't count?

cunfewzed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cunfewzed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cunfewzed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cunfewzed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cunfewzed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cunfewzed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cunfewzed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cunfewzed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cunfewzed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cunfewzed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cunfewzed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dmacdonal9 View Post
    2nded
    *LF Chat Crew
    *Misc KneeDraggers Crew
    *Misc Photography Crew
    *Misc Running Crew
    *Spring Cutters Crew
    *Misc Beard Crew
    *Child-Bearing Hips Crew

KCUFTHIS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do you believe you've been able to build muscle and lose fat at the same time?

Registered User GeraldineHearne's Avatar
    GeraldineHearne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GeraldineHearne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GeraldineHearne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GeraldineHearne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GeraldineHearne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GeraldineHearne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GeraldineHearne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The lack of tracking is a massive variable that others have pointed out.

jamesyboi is just really nice. (+1000) jamesyboi is just really nice. (+1000) jamesyboi is just really nice. (+1000) jamesyboi is just really nice. (+1000) jamesyboi is just really nice. (+1000) jamesyboi is just really nice. (+1000) jamesyboi is just really nice. (+1000) jamesyboi is just really nice. (+1000) jamesyboi is just really nice. (+1000) jamesyboi is just really nice. (+1000) jamesyboi is just really nice. (+1000)

I find IF so easy to do that I wouldn’t call it a ‘diet’ in the traditional sense. To me, it’s a lifestyle choice and is now just my normal eating pattern.
    This.

Well said OP
    -80 kgs in 15 months.

Follow my journey on
    http://www.********.com/half175

✪ Fandango Crew ✪

RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobjConnor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by dmacdonal9 View Post
    After 2 weeks of this I packed in calorie counting and now just eat as much as I want.
    After 2 weeks, no targets, just eating what I feel like.

Originally Posted by KCUFTHIS View Post
    Do you believe you've been able to build muscle and lose fat at the same time?
    Defo.

Everyone has noticed the weight loss and the fellas at the gym all reckon I've put on some muscle. I know fat loss makes you look like you've added muscle but my shirts feel tighter on the arms (not one for measuring so can't give numbers). I record my weights (something you just don't see many guys doing) so I know exactly how much iron I shift for every exercise and everything is up.

Like I say, I've never been interested in taking theories, studies or gym banta as gospel (been around too long). I try things and see if they work for me. I'm losing weight, getting stronger and pretty sure I'm putting on muscle, all without counting the calories or actually feeling like I'm on a diet. Speaking of which, it's Saturday, hello fry up!!

Originally Posted by GeraldineHearne View Post
    The lack of tracking is a massive variable that others have pointed out.
    True, but I'm only interested in results for the least amount of effort - and that's what I'm getting. If and when things stagnate or my goals change then I'll swithcback to counting stuff.

I've been tracking exactly what I put done my neck my for well over a decade so I can't tell you good it feels to be free of the [insert explicit] spreadsheets and I'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts.