Mkueckel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

National Council for Certified Personal Trainers?

I am very interested in becoming a personal trainer, today Groupon's deal was Personal Training Certification through the National Council for Certified Personal Trainers. I looked at a few websites that have the top ten Certification programs and this was not one of them. Is this a legit and good program?

mashley80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Mkueckel View Post
    I am very interested in becoming a personal trainer, today Groupon's deal was Personal Training Certification through the National Council for Certified Personal Trainers. I looked at a few websites that have the top ten Certification programs and this was not one of them. Is this a legit and good program?
    I also would like to know. If anyone has any info that would be great.

Registered User JoeCannonMSCSCS's Avatar
    JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ive never heard of them. ask them how long they have been in existence. also ask local gyms if they accept their cert.
    Joe Cannon, MS
    Joe-Cannon.com
    SupplementClarity.com

SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Never heard of them and I would be weary of any certification promotions on Groupon. The topic of certifications has been exhausted. ACSM, NSCA, and NASM tend to be favorites. ACE is recognized by most as well. There are perhaps a few others, but I would go for one of those 3 (or 4) if you really take your profession seriously.

Vickyhsd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SFT View Post
    Never heard of them and I would be weary of any certification promotions on Groupon. The topic of certifications has been exhausted. ACSM, NSCA, and NASM tend to be favorites. ACE is recognized by most as well. There are perhaps a few others, but I would go for one of those 3 (or 4) if you really take your profession seriously.
    I have been warned to be wary of any online certification programs and other professionals have recommended the same ones you list, however I was wondering if for such a "bargain" price, for someone brand new and starting out in acquiring a personal training certification and planning on obtaining one of the more well-respected certs, whether or not it would be a bad idea to invest this small amount for some "basic knowledge" so as not to jump into one of the more intensive courses with not much background. I do not have a degree in this field at all but am interested in shifting gears, so I realize that a lot of extra study will be necessary on my part and I thought this groupon offer might be a good place to start. Would be interested to hear what any professionals out there might have to say about whether or not this would be a waste of time and $150. Thanks!

PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    $150 will not buy you a good PT cert. no chance, none whatsoever...zip, nada.

I asked the question recently whether you could really geta PT course for $599 in the US as the cert you need over here costs £3k+
    High quality Home Personal Training in Edinburgh, UK.

www.castlepersonaltraining.com

Look us up on ******** "Castlepersonaltraining" or just look me up "Peteratcastle"

Vickyhsd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by PeteratCastle View Post
    $150 will not buy you a good PT cert. no chance, none whatsoever...zip, nada.

I asked the question recently whether you could really geta PT course for $599 in the US as the cert you need over here costs £3k+
    I guess I am more interested in the actual basic knowledge that the course might provide (and $150 is the highly discounted amount... this normally costs about $500) rather than the good certification. I am not going to go looking for jobs with this cert. I am interested in taking a course in order to see if I am interested in pursuing the more involved, more expensive, more well-respected certifications for eventual employment at a gym. That is sort of what I was interested in getting opinions on, as it is clear to me that this is not a well-recognized certification from everything I have read. Thanks!

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Vickyhsd View Post
    I guess I am more interested in the actual basic knowledge that the course might provide (and $150 is the highly discounted amount... this normally costs about $500) rather than the good certification. I am not going to go looking for jobs with this cert. I am interested in taking a course in order to see if I am interested in pursuing the more involved, more expensive, more well-respected certifications for eventual employment at a gym. That is sort of what I was interested in getting opinions on, as it is clear to me that this is not a well-recognized certification from everything I have read. Thanks!
    Its not well recognized and because of that not many here will know what they "teach" in their program to tell you if it would be worth your time, even just to do it to get more knowledge. I know AFPA used to have a "prep" program that was really good and was about 100 - 150 bucks. I cant find any info on it now, but if they still have it I would suggest that as it covered the basics and would be good for your goal.
    I can also suggest the AFAA group exercise certification workshop, again, they cover the basics and i found it really useful in light of the PT cert. Its a one day deal, usually on the weekend and if they have one near you, you could see if the fitness industry is where you want to go. Price is 99 - 120 bucks, so not bad and they are a respected organization for group fitness, been around since the 80's, so there is a bonus in that (always a good selling point, even if you only want to do PT).
    I dont know if any of the others offer anything close to that since i havet dealt with them as much.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

kavsy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi,

I'm not an expert on this or anything but I've been doing some research on it during the past few weeks (googling, reading through forums etc) because I've been thinking of doing it also, so I just thought I'd share my findings so far...

Let's bear in mind that this is not a $150 certification; the cost of the certification is about $500, which is in a similar price range to many of their other large competitors. The $150 price was a temporary offer through Groupon, and Groupon offers are an advertizing channel that are of course used by many reputable businesses. Some websites do list this company along with the other big names in the industry, and some don't, which is probably why they are running Groupon campaigns for advertizing purposes. They may be missing out on some listings due to the recency effect... e.g. If you're not one of the first companies in an industry it doesn't necessarily mean that you're not as good as any of the incumbents after you join, but it may be difficult for you to get listed along with those who have already been established for some time before you joined.

Anyway, from what I've seen, it seems that this is indeed a legit program. Apparently they are NCCA accredited, and are also recognized by a number of fitness organizations, e.g. trainerspace or more importantly IDEA, which is a large internationally renowned fitness association. If you're interested, for example, you can see information at the following IDEA link (remove the spaces; I had to put them in there because it wouldn't let me post a link):
    http : //www . ideafit . com/organization/nccpt

I have seen on some forums that some people were complaining that the course contains an extensive amount of detailed biology material (there may more to fitness training than knowing how to lift weights ). Apparently the course is no piece of cake and it does require a significant amount of work to achieve the certification. Personally I would see this as a positive thing as it means I'd have to learn a lot about the subject matter, which is exactly what I want to do (especially about nutrition and metabolic function). Anyways this is the opinion I've formed based on some of the research I've been doing. I realize that I'm taking a relatively positive view on this, so it may seeem like I work for the company or something, but I'm not affiliated with them in any way. I'm sure there are some people who will disagree with some of the stuff I've said here, but that's what forums posts are all about I guess

Good luck with whatever program you decide to do, and with your fitness development in general!

cxchavez1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I personally would stay away from offers such as these. ACSM, NSCA, and NASM would never use groupon promotions to sell their programs. I have been a NASAM CPT for almost 20 years now and it immediately gets me in the door with any fitness gym I want to go to. C. Chavez, NASM CPT, FNS

rsmith916 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My wife and i just completed this course. It is worth far more than the 150 it costs. The anatomy section is very detailed. I was not completely happy with the exercise application section, but being a bodybuilder was not really a problem. If your willing to study hard and maybe do a little extra research, this course is a steal .

Gtarkfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rsmith916 View Post
    My wife and i just completed this course. It is worth far more than the 150 it costs. The anatomy section is very detailed. I was not completely happy with the exercise application section, but being a bodybuilder was not really a problem. If your willing to study hard and maybe do a little extra research, this course is a steal .
    The only problem is going to be when your clients research your credential and see that it costs as much as two training sessions. They will not be too impressed.

laurajones12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Here are some top personal training certifications. You can choose any one of them. These are:
    1. NASM - National Academy Of Sports Medicine
    2. NSCA - National Strength And Conditioning Association
    3. NCSF - National Council On Strength And Fitness
    4. NFPT - National Federation Of Personal Trainers
    5. ACE - American Council On Exercise
    6. CI - Cooper Institute
    7. Scirion Institude (SIEP)
    8. ISSA - International Sports Science Association

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by kavsy1 View Post
    Hi,

I'm not an expert on this or anything but I've been doing some research on it during the past few weeks (googling, reading through forums etc) because I've been thinking of doing it also, so I just thought I'd share my findings so far...

Let's bear in mind that this is not a $150 certification; the cost of the certification is about $500, which is in a similar price range to many of their other large competitors. The $150 price was a temporary offer through Groupon, and Groupon offers are an advertizing channel that are of course used by many reputable businesses. Some websites do list this company along with the other big names in the industry, and some don't, which is probably why they are running Groupon campaigns for advertizing purposes. They may be missing out on some listings due to the recency effect... e.g. If you're not one of the first companies in an industry it doesn't necessarily mean that you're not as good as any of the incumbents after you join, but it may be difficult for you to get listed along with those who have already been established for some time before you joined.

Anyway, from what I've seen, it seems that this is indeed a legit program. Apparently they are NCCA accredited, and are also recognized by a number of fitness organizations, e.g. trainerspace or more importantly IDEA, which is a large internationally renowned fitness association. If you're interested, for example, you can see information at the following IDEA link (remove the spaces; I had to put them in there because it wouldn't let me post a link):
    http : //www . ideafit . com/organization/nccpt

I have seen on some forums that some people were complaining that the course contains an extensive amount of detailed biology material (there may more to fitness training than knowing how to lift weights ). Apparently the course is no piece of cake and it does require a significant amount of work to achieve the certification. Personally I would see this as a positive thing as it means I'd have to learn a lot about the subject matter, which is exactly what I want to do (especially about nutrition and metabolic function). Anyways this is the opinion I've formed based on some of the research I've been doing. I realize that I'm taking a relatively positive view on this, so it may seeem like I work for the company or something, but I'm not affiliated with them in any way. I'm sure there are some people who will disagree with some of the stuff I've said here, but that's what forums posts are all about I guess

Good luck with whatever program you decide to do, and with your fitness development in general!
    Being NCCA accredited just means they paid for the accreditation. Have you seen the list of credentials the NCCA has approved? You should check it out, it's hilarious. Their entire existence is funded by companies paying them for acceditation seals.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

Registered User MeganElaine2102's Avatar
    MeganElaine2102 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up ncsf certification

I am actually going thru Penn Foster to get my National Council on strength and fitness schooling and then sit and take the exam because it's covered in my course I'm actually in admissions counselor for the school and its relatively inexpensive in his payment plans it is fully accredited national and regional and recognize with the NCSF the certification exam is included at the end of the course..... if you have any questions call me at 18884276500 extension 2756 my name is Megan and I'm in admissions counselor for the school... normally I wouldn't say that an online form but it really is a great program I've been working on it all night....

eSkrillaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

All I'm saying is...

NCCPT Certifications are accepted by LA Fitness. I say it can't hurt if a huge franchise company like LA Fitness accepts it. I was just looking up NCCPT also because they have a deal through Living Social instead of like $600 it's $150. Just google LA Fitness Personal Trainer Certification and you'll get to the LA Fitness acceptable Cert page. I'm sure you can do that for other big name gyms.
    Last edited by eSkrillaz; 06-14-2013 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Im not allowed to enter links which is kind of annoying but I get it. No spammers.

johnplatero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) johnplatero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) johnplatero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) johnplatero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) johnplatero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) johnplatero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) johnplatero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) johnplatero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) johnplatero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) johnplatero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) johnplatero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    This is a great program. The NCCPT has been in business almost 20 years!

johnplatero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) johnplatero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) johnplatero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) johnplatero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) johnplatero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) johnplatero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) johnplatero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) johnplatero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) johnplatero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) johnplatero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) johnplatero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    This is an excellent program! I know because I've gone through more personal training certifications than anyone alive. Here's the list:
    AAHFP > American Academy of Health and Fitness Professionals > Post-Rehab
    Conditioning Specialist
    AAHFP> Medical Exercise Specialist Cert. # 4JP6-97
    AFPA > American Fitness Professional & Associates - Member ID. 3203c
    AIFE > American Institute Fitness Educators
    ACE >American Council on Exercise >Personal Trainer
    ACE > Clinical Exercise Specialist, Certified Advanced Health & Fitness Specialist
    ACSM > Health and Fitness Director - cert.# 190 ACSM ID #539922
    AFAA > Aerobics and Fitness Association of America
    ANA > American Neutraceutical Association/DSHEA/Dietary Supplement Health &
    Education Act
    California State Post Secondary Vocational Instructor/- Cert. No: 127385
    Cooper Institute > Health Promotion Director
    CHEK Institute > Completed Care Conditioning, Program Design and Scientific Back correspondence courses
    CREA > Certified Resistance Equipment Analyst- Resistance University
    FITOUR > Primary Personal Trainer
    FITOUR > Advanced Personal Trainer
    ISSA > International Sports Sciences Association > Personal Trainer
    IYCA > International Youth Fitness Association >Youth Fitness Specialist Level 1
    GMP Fitness > Postural Analysis and Development Specialist
    MAD DOGG Athletics > Johnny G. Spinning Instructor
    NASM > National Academy of Sport s Medicine - Personal Trainer - cert #1339604
    NASM > Personal Trainer Advanced Level - cert. #4998132
    NASM > Advanced Integrated Flexibility,
    NASM > Corrective Exercise Specialist - cert # 178499
    NBFE > National Board of Fitness Examiners – Personal Trainer
    NCCPT > National Council For Certified Personal Trainers
    NCCPT > Cardio Specialist,
    NCCPT > Post-Rehab Fitness Specialist - cert. # PRHS-0001
    NCCPT > Weight Management Specialist
    NCSF > National Council of Strength and Fitness
    NFPT > National Federation of Professional Trainers
    NSCA > National Strength and Conditioning Association - cert. #16710296
    NSCA > Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist
    NSPA > Certified Conditioning Specialist
    Red Cross > CPR and First Aid instructor
    RTSM > (Resistance Training Specialist- Mastery level) - Resistance University –
    cert . # 02-M-16
    Senior Fitness Association > Personal Trainer
    USA Weightlifting > Club Coach

This is an excellent program! Here's how I know. I've been certified through all these certs
    AAHFP > American Academy of Health and Fitness Professionals > Post-Rehab
    Conditioning Specialist
    AAHFP> Medical Exercise Specialist Cert. # 4JP6-97
    AFPA > American Fitness Professional & Associates - Member ID. 3203c
    AIFE > American Institute Fitness Educators
    ACE >American Council on Exercise >Personal Trainer
    ACE > Clinical Exercise Specialist, Certified Advanced Health & Fitness Specialist
    ACSM > Health and Fitness Director - cert.# 190 ACSM ID #539922
    AFAA > Aerobics and Fitness Association of America
    ANA > American Neutraceutical Association/DSHEA/Dietary Supplement Health &
    Education Act
    California State Post Secondary Vocational Instructor/- Cert. No: 127385
    Cooper Institute > Health Promotion Director
    CHEK Institute > Completed Care Conditioning, Program Design and Scientific Back correspondence courses
    CREA > Certified Resistance Equipment Analyst- Resistance University
    FITOUR > Primary Personal Trainer
    FITOUR > Advanced Personal Trainer
    ISSA > International Sports Sciences Association > Personal Trainer
    IYCA > International Youth Fitness Association >Youth Fitness Specialist Level 1
    GMP Fitness > Postural Analysis and Development Specialist
    MAD DOGG Athletics > Johnny G. Spinning Instructor
    NASM > National Academy of Sport s Medicine - Personal Trainer - cert #1339604
    NASM > Personal Trainer Advanced Level - cert. #4998132
    NASM > Advanced Integrated Flexibility,
    NASM > Corrective Exercise Specialist - cert # 178499
    NBFE > National Board of Fitness Examiners – Personal Trainer
    NCCPT > National Council For Certified Personal Trainers
    NCCPT > Cardio Specialist,
    NCCPT > Post-Rehab Fitness Specialist - cert. # PRHS-0001
    NCCPT > Weight Management Specialist
    NCSF > National Council of Strength and Fitness
    NFPT > National Federation of Professional Trainers
    NSCA > National Strength and Conditioning Association - cert. #16710296
    NSCA > Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist
    NSPA > Certified Conditioning Specialist
    Red Cross > CPR and First Aid instructor
    RTSM > (Resistance Training Specialist- Mastery level) - Resistance University –
    cert . # 02-M-16
    Senior Fitness Association > Personal Trainer
    USA Weightlifting > Club Coach

joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ^ no you haven't.
    Joe King MS, NASM CPT, PES, CES, SNS
    Exercise Physiologist, Personal Training Director
    joeking.trainerize.com

Peanut Butter Enthusiast slbross's Avatar
    slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    http://www.johnplatero.com/about-john

"John also periodically flames the Bodybuilding.com forums to promote his investments."

joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by slbross View Post
    http://www.johnplatero.com/about-john

"John also periodically flames the Bodybuilding.com forums to promote his investments."
    Ah, he's the "director" of the NCCPT. You would think that a man of his position would be above trolling on bodybuilding message boards.
    Joe King MS, NASM CPT, PES, CES, SNS
    Exercise Physiologist, Personal Training Director
    joeking.trainerize.com

mrufhayes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Nccpt

Originally Posted by cxchavez1 View Post
    I personally would stay away from offers such as these. ACSM, NSCA, and NASM would never use groupon promotions to sell their programs. I have been a NASAM CPT for almost 20 years now and it immediately gets me in the door with any fitness gym I want to go to. C. Chavez, NASM CPT, FNS
    The NCCPT is accepted and recognized all in the major health club chains: LA Fitness, 24 Hour Fitness, Gold’s Gym, World’s Gym, Equinox, Crunch, Spectrum, Bally’s etc. The NCCPT is a full affiliate of the NBFE. The NCCPT was approved and accepted into the IDEA recognition system.

mrufhayes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The NCCPT is accepted and recognized in all the major health club chains: LA Fitness, 24 Hour Fitness, Gold’s Gym, World’s Gym, Equinox, Crunch, Spectrum, Bally’s etc. The NCCPT is a full affiliate of the NBFE. The NCCPT was approved and accepted into the IDEA recognition system.

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by mrufhayes View Post
    The NCCPT is accepted and recognized in all the major health club chains: LA Fitness, 24 Hour Fitness, Gold’s Gym, World’s Gym, Equinox, Crunch, Spectrum, Bally’s etc. The NCCPT is a full affiliate of the NBFE. The NCCPT was approved and accepted into the IDEA recognition system.
    ...and yet no one has this cert because it's worthless.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

jspayne90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This was the first Cert I obtained a few years back due to the same groupon sale. It got me my first training job and taught me some useful things. After a few years training, I ended up going with a different cert (ACSM) and never renewed my NCCPT. Definitely think its a good first step though for someone looking to get into training.
    Youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcBbwZNe1l1wjvWkea0ZMGA

******** page: https://www.********.com/commencefitness/

http://www.commencefitness.com/

My Personal Training and fitness website. Feel free to ask questions or comment.