Registered User transformerchad's Avatar
    transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000)

My passion has always been nutrition and training

im 21 years old , im in my final year of my marketing degree. this year i have realised that my true passion has and will always be weight lifting and nutrition. i was going to study nutrition and human movement studies after i matriculated, but was told by many i cant really go far with it. how far can one actually go when persuing such a career with a passion for nutrition and training?
    ultimately id love to change peoples lives through my passion but is it financially rewarding?
    i would appreciate any advice
    thanks

ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Completely making up numbers but if I had to guess 5% of personal trainers make very good money, 20-30% make "a living" and the rest fail. There are many factors at play here.

transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ericmackcarter View Post
    Completely making up numbers but if I had to guess 5% of personal trainers make very good money, 20-30% make "a living" and the rest fail. There are many factors at play here.
    well who does make the money in the fitness industry?

RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you can get yourself 20-30 hours of regular work each week you will make a good living (depending on where you work and how much you can charge).

The one's that are raking it in are those with:

1) A solid client and referral base
    2) Such a good client base that they have a waiting list and also have other trainers working under them.
    3) Multi source income - whether it be 121 training, group training, bootcamp, clothing, info products etc. (for me this is important, but I NEVER want to sell my soul to the devil and endorse something that I don't believe in just for money's sake).

Forget these get rich quick courses etc. Slowly but surely build up a solid client base. Have a great understanding of how to market yourself well and be fantastic with your clients and you will do well. Expect the first year to be TOUGH.
    Tired of boring cardio? Want to add a challenge to your workouts?
    New book available on the Amazon store
    "Cardio Revolution: 54 Fat Loss Finishers - Pack of Cards Workout"

www.revolutionlifestyles.com

Online fitness, nutrition and lifestyle coaching.

Personal training - Wimbledon, SW19.

Fat Loss | Strength Training

cjogro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjogro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Actually, I think you're in great shape to have the career you want. Don't forget that in pursuing your passion of helping people through fitness that you will need to make money to do it... and ideally to make your money actually fulfilling that passion instead of working a job you hate and PT'ing on the side.

If I were you, I would get my personal training certification and finding marketing work at a corporate gym. Those gyms will always need someone to manage membership and sales. They also always need people to manage trainers and group fitness schedules. Think of this work time as a paid internship preparing you to open your own gym. It seems to me that many administrative people at these gyms can also dip into personal training and group fitness for extra income or even as part of their job. And, let me tell you, a good paying job is nothing to scoff at, especially if you are still learning skills that help you grow as a fitness professional.

Remember, you don't necessarily yet need a degree in personal training to be a personal trainer, but you probably do need a marketing degree to work in marketing. Many of the trainers I work with don't think of themselves as good salespeople. You might be further ahead if you are a good salesperson. There is nothing wrong with attracting new clients or retaining a fee for your services.

Good luck!
    NASM-CPT

Originally Posted by cjogro View Post
    Actually, I think you're in great shape to have the career you want. Don't forget that in pursuing your passion of helping people through fitness that you will need to make money to do it... and ideally to make your money actually fulfilling that passion instead of working a job you hate and PT'ing on the side.

If I were you, I would get my personal training certification and finding marketing work at a corporate gym. Those gyms will always need someone to manage membership and sales. They also always need people to manage trainers and group fitness schedules. Think of this work time as a paid internship preparing you to open your own gym. It seems to me that many administrative people at these gyms can also dip into personal training and group fitness for extra income or even as part of their job. And, let me tell you, a good paying job is nothing to scoff at, especially if you are still learning skills that help you grow as a fitness professional.

Remember, you don't necessarily yet need a degree in personal training to be a personal trainer, but you probably do need a marketing degree to work in marketing. Many of the trainers I work with don't think of themselves as good salespeople. You might be further ahead if you are a good salesperson. There is nothing wrong with attracting new clients or retaining a fee for your services.

Good luck!
    amazing great advice i really will look into it ! REP + thanks