BrandonRamsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandonRamsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandonRamsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandonRamsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandonRamsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandonRamsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandonRamsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandonRamsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandonRamsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandonRamsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandonRamsey will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Starting to Compete

Hey everyone, I just made a BodySpace account and this is my first post on the forums.

I have been lifting regularly for about 2 years now and have taken it very serious for the past year (along with starting to manage my diet better). Now that I have been seeing some solid gains I have decided that I would like to try to get into competition shape. I don't have a competition lined up, and don't necessarily plan to compete until the summer of 2014 unless my physique really starts looking good.

Right now I am 5'11'' 190 pounds with about 15% body fat. I am starting a new diet tomorrow (Nov. 5th) and am planning to do a clean bulk for awhile to get to around 200 pounds and put on as much size as possible. From there I will cut and just try to get as lean as possible to get a feel for what I look like when I am down around 10% body fat or less.

I am just looking for some comments and advice from everyone. What do you all think is a realistic timetable for getting into competition shape? What is a good weight and body fat percentage that I should shoot for for competition?

Currently I feel that I have decent size, but I realize that A. my genetics and B. my current body fat % and physique do not exactly matchup up with competitive bodybuilders. I understand that I may not even be able to get to a competitive level, but I am dedicated to giving it my best shot and at least getting my body to look as good as it possibly can look.

Feel free to leave in comments or thoughts.

Thanks!
    Attached Images

ChrisElkins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisElkins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisElkins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisElkins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisElkins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisElkins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisElkins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisElkins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisElkins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisElkins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisElkins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BrandonRamsey View Post
    Hey everyone, I just made a BodySpace account and this is my first post on the forums.

I have been lifting regularly for about 2 years now and have taken it very serious for the past year (along with starting to manage my diet better). Now that I have been seeing some solid gains I have decided that I would like to try to get into competition shape. I don't have a competition lined up, and don't necessarily plan to compete until the summer of 2014 unless my physique really starts looking good.

Right now I am 5'11'' 190 pounds with about 15% body fat. I am starting a new diet tomorrow (Nov. 5th) and am planning to do a clean bulk for awhile to get to around 200 pounds and put on as much size as possible. From there I will cut and just try to get as lean as possible to get a feel for what I look like when I am down around 10% body fat or less.

I am just looking for some comments and advice from everyone. What do you all think is a realistic timetable for getting into competition shape? What is a good weight and body fat percentage that I should shoot for for competition?

Currently I feel that I have decent size, but I realize that A. my genetics and B. my current body fat % and physique do not exactly matchup up with competitive bodybuilders. I understand that I may not even be able to get to a competitive level, but I am dedicated to giving it my best shot and at least getting my body to look as good as it possibly can look.

Thanks!
    Have you ever been 10 or below? I would cut first, nice and slow over 16 weeks. You can continue to gain strength since your deficit should be pretty small and you're still relatively new to lifting.

Your 15% body fat looks pretty accurate. I think your bulk will go much smoother once you are confident you can cut fat and if you start your bulk much leaner. Anybody can compete by signing up and having the balls to get on stage but depending on your diet, gym intensity and dedication you could probably do well at a smaller show by early 2014 depending on your legs.

BrandonRamsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandonRamsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandonRamsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandonRamsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandonRamsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandonRamsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandonRamsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandonRamsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandonRamsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandonRamsey will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrandonRamsey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ChrisElkins View Post
    Have you ever been 10 or below? I would cut first, nice and slow over 16 weeks. You can continue to gain strength since your deficit should be pretty small and you're still relatively new to lifting.

Your 15% body fat looks pretty accurate. I think your bulk will go much smoother once you are confident you can cut fat and if you start your bulk much leaner. Anybody can compete by signing up and having the balls to get on stage but depending on your diet, gym intensity and dedication you could probably do well at a smaller show by early 2014 depending on your legs.
    Thanks for your input. That makes sense about cutting first. I have never been below 10% (or if I was it was when I was young and really skinny). Also, my legs are probably one of my stronger points.

c24lamp is not very well liked. (-100) c24lamp is not very well liked. (-100) c24lamp is not very well liked. (-100) c24lamp is not very well liked. (-100) c24lamp is not very well liked. (-100) c24lamp is not very well liked. (-100) c24lamp is not very well liked. (-100) c24lamp is not very well liked. (-100) c24lamp is not very well liked. (-100) c24lamp is not very well liked. (-100) c24lamp is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by ChrisElkins View Post

definitely have to agree with cutting down first, you'll be able to see what you've really got and what has to improve. it'll also be easier to put on lean mass and monitor your gains after that. only thing i can add is don't be afraid to keep eating while dieting down, some people are desperate to achieve that low bf% and sacrifice so much (size,fullness,strength,etc) and still don't even end up to where they want to be. so as mentioned take it nice and slow.

it's also a great opportunity for you to determine how your body reacts to different dieting techniques and cardio. goodluck

Demon Fitness - Owner demonwareltd's Avatar
    demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If really waiting until 2014 to compete, then I would do the following:

If you can see your abdominals rather clearly, continue to bulk, focusing on bringing up lagging bodyparts. If you can't be objective, have someone who knows what they are talking about take a good look at your posing and assess for you. If your abs are pretty much gone, I recommend cutting down to about 10-12% BF. Be sure to do this rather slowly and not a drastic cut. Then go ahead and bulk again.

Once you are ready for a show and have a date in mind, give yourself 20 weeks to prep for it. First timers always stand to have a couple extra weeks built in to handle unexpected issues or any stumbling along the way.

Another thing you can consider is hiring a coach to help guide you through the process. You will not only be guaranteed to get into stage ready condition, but will learn tons about effective protocols and how your body responds.

Best of luck to you!

- Stan

Originally Posted by demonwareltd View Post
    If really waiting until 2014 to compete, then I would do the following:

If you can see your abdominals rather clearly, continue to bulk, focusing on bringing up lagging bodyparts. If you can't be objective, have someone who knows what they are talking about take a good look at your posing and assess for you. If your abs are pretty much gone, I recommend cutting down to about 10-12% BF. Be sure to do this rather slowly and not a drastic cut. Then go ahead and bulk again.

Once you are ready for a show and have a date in mind, give yourself 20 weeks to prep for it. First timers always stand to have a couple extra weeks built in to handle unexpected issues or any stumbling along the way.

Another thing you can consider is hiring a coach to help guide you through the process. You will not only be guaranteed to get into stage ready condition, but will learn tons about effective protocols and how your body responds.

Best of luck to you!

- Stan
    Thanks a lot for the advice!

NGA\IFPA Pro Bodybuilder fltallpaul's Avatar
    fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BrandonRamsey View Post

Thanks!
    You can get to a competitive level, it just may shock you how much fat you end up losing to get there. I would recommend attending a show you are interested in doing so you get an idea what your goal is. From there set a plan of action through research or a coach and then involve those around you so they support your decision. Give yourself time to diet and enjoy the process. Good luck with everything.
    Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

Core Nutritionals/Outwork Apparel Athlete

NGA & IFPA Pro Bodybuilder

kidkemp will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkemp will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkemp will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkemp will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkemp will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkemp will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkemp will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkemp will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkemp will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkemp will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkemp will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Best advice I can give is don't get discouraged by the scale while cutting down for the show, just get lean. You're gonna hate being "small" or feel "skinny" etc. Something that definitely comes with contest prep and you will hear those comments from others, just don't get DISCOURAGED!
    PSN - kempbrah

Skinny natty men's physique competitor with no legs checking in.

I rep back.