BChizzzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BChizzzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BChizzzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BChizzzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BChizzzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BChizzzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BChizzzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BChizzzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BChizzzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BChizzzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BChizzzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Is this too expensive for a Olympic Weight Set?

dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11913815&cp=4406646.4413986.12 598195.12598197#BVRRWidgetID

Is there another site where i can get a set for cheaper? Thanks!

Also noob question, are all plates and bars universal? Like if i get a certain bar... could i just buy any plates and it'd fit ?
    Last edited by BChizzzle; 11-17-2012 at 08:15 AM.

Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000)
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...uctId=11913815

Those are Body Solid Grip plates with a black hex bolt barbell. 300 lbs total for $500 pre-tax.

You could do a lot better, but would need to put more effort into hunting them down used.

Is there a "Play it again" sports in your area? Have you checked Craigslist and Ebay?

Have you done any research whatsoever?

With just a cursory use of Google you could probably find a better deal. Someone posted a Black Friday deal from Olympia Sports for a set for only $160. I don't know if they were grip plates or not, but for 1/3rd the price does it matter?

If price is important to you, YES, you can certainly find a better value for a weight set. Higher quality AND better price.
    Only reason to buy that set from Dick's is convenience, and even then I'd question your perseverance if you did.

*edit* maybe it was Sports Authority that had the Black Firday deal on weights, and yeah...they look like they are grip plates
    Last edited by Vermonter; 11-17-2012 at 08:53 AM.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #5 ()---()
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #10 -!!!---!!!-

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
    Winston Churchill

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
    Mahatma Gandhi

BChizzzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BChizzzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BChizzzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BChizzzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BChizzzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BChizzzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BChizzzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BChizzzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BChizzzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BChizzzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BChizzzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    There's no Play it again here that i know of.. I live in Fort Lauderdale, is there any set you guys would recommend? My Powertec rac just arrived yesterday and i need something soon.

Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000)
    http://www.playitagainsports.com/locations/list/FL

I don't know what is closest to Fort Lauderdale, but the point is you can do much better value-wise if you are willing and able to travel and pick up the weights as opposed to just getting them at a local retail establishment.

One of the great benefits of picking up a set used, is you can always "upgrade" by flipping them later. You exercise with what you've got, and once a better deal comes along, sell them off on Craigslist or whatever. If you can do this and break even you are basically getting better and better gear for free.

I am sure you could find something within a couple of hours drive, EASILY. $.50 per pound is where you want to start. If you can find some for less, great. If you can find someone willing to cut you an even better deal or drop them off for you, etc... even better.

Regardless of what you do to get started, you should never stop looking. This board is packed full of people scoring ridiculous deals on very high quality equipment, you just need to be there when they are available.

I simply cannot bring myself to recommend buying new to you, especially since you seem to have little knowledge on the subject and cost is a factor. You'd inevitably end up paying a premium for something sub-par when you'd be just as well off paying half as much if you put more effort into the "hunt".

Seriously, at this point even the worse possible set of weights would be a good start, and once you have read up a bit more you can consider what to upgrade to. All of the information is on this site, you just need to keep reading. (Start with the stickied threads)

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
    Winston Churchill

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
    Mahatma Gandhi

So I just checked out http://fortlauderdale.craigslist.org/ and typed only "weights" into the search and got a ton of results!

I mean, just look at this example:
    http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/spo/3414916233.html

"Weider full cage in excellent condition. Adjustable weight bench, bar catches and safety bars, lat high/low pulley system, pull up bar, preacher curl attachment.
    Matching olympic grip weights included: 45lbs (2), 35lbs (2), 25lbs (2), 10lbs (2) 5lbs (4), 2.5lbs (2). Total 255lbs. Only $395."

Not the best deal in the world even, but if you were to haggle with him on this, and then put everything but the weights and barbell right back on Craigslist you'd pick up a set of Olympics for a fraction of the price you'd pay buying them new from Dick's.

It's not rocket science dude, I don't think you've even tried.

Winston Churchill

Mahatma Gandhi

Dude. Thanks so much for that. Nice to know there's helpful people on this board. Made my day thanks again.

Glad I could help out.

You'll find something that will work for you soon enough. It will take more effort than going out and blowing $500 at the local Dick's, but you'll be able to get so much more, for so much less.
    It never hurts to haggle or counter-offer if there is something you want and the deal isn't great. The example I put above was just one of the first listings I saw so checked it out. Weider weights aren't anything to get excited about, but they look to be practically new condition and all you'd have to do to negotiate with the guy is track how long the listing has been up, give him a call, and be honest with him. Explain that either you get a good deal from him, or you buy NEW plates for $160 from Sports Authority on Black Friday (or whatever). Most people KNOW that used plates, even in newish condition, sell for half retail price (if that), unless they are well calibrated higher end / commercial plates. You can leave him with your offer and let him consider it, and the closer you get to Black Friday the more likely he (or whoever) will be to compromise.
    Sometimes somebody is willing to sell weights separately from the other equipment. It doesn't happen often, but if they find a buyer for the rack who doesn't want the plates...there you go.

Also, you should go ahead and post your own "Weights wanted" listing on Craigslist. You might get responses right away that don't suck, and at least then you'd see you have options.

Winston Churchill

Mahatma Gandhi

Actually it's Schnayblay mrschneeebly's Avatar
    mrschneeebly is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrschneeebly is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrschneeebly is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrschneeebly is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrschneeebly is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrschneeebly is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrschneeebly is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrschneeebly is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrschneeebly is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrschneeebly is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrschneeebly is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I bought my Olympic 300lb weight set brand new a couple years ago from Hibbet Sports for $20, my brother works there and hooked me up. And if you scavenge craigslist long enough you'll find loads of deals and if you do like I did and like vermonter suggested with the weight equipment wanted ad the deals will come to you.

Also hit up garage sales and people that you know. I've posted on ******** a couple times that I was looking for weights and stuff and my lazy friends had stuff laying around they basically gave me.
    No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees.
    -Hebrews 12:11-12

hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Vermonter View Post
    Glad I could help out.

You'll find something that will work for you soon enough. It will take more effort than going out and blowing $500 at the local Dick's, but you'll be able to get so much more, for so much less.
    It never hurts to haggle or counter-offer if there is something you want and the deal isn't great. The example I put above was just one of the first listings I saw so checked it out. Weider weights aren't anything to get excited about, but they look to be practically new condition and all you'd have to do to negotiate with the guy is track how long the listing has been up, give him a call, and be honest with him. Explain that either you get a good deal from him, or you buy NEW plates for $160 from Sports Authority on Black Friday (or whatever). Most people KNOW that used plates, even in newish condition, sell for half retail price (if that), unless they are well calibrated higher end / commercial plates. You can leave him with your offer and let him consider it, and the closer you get to Black Friday the more likely he (or whoever) will be to compromise.
    Sometimes somebody is willing to sell weights separately from the other equipment. It doesn't happen often, but if they find a buyer for the rack who doesn't want the plates...there you go.

Also, you should go ahead and post your own "Weights wanted" listing on Craigslist. You might get responses right away that don't suck, and at least then you'd see you have options.
    ^ This...

If I were you, I would be on my way to get this pot of gold:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/YORK-BARBELL...item2ec3880627

You will have to do the research to know why it is gold though ... Happy lifting...!!!

Oh no doubt, if you are in that area or can get there, buy those Yorks!

Winston Churchill

Mahatma Gandhi