Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

    The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 77
  1. #1
    Registered User ajn's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Stats: 6'1", 189 lbs
    Posts: 6,273
    BodyPoints: 854
    Rep Power: 3520
    ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit ajn's BodySpace
    ajn is offline

    Nonpartisan Study Disproves Trickle-Down Economics, Republicans Attempt to Retract It

    Link to study:

    http://www.dpcc.senate.gov/files/doc...op%20Rates.pdf

    Senate Democrats have liberated a report from the Congressional Research Service which Senate Republicans successfully got the nonpartisan research arm of Congress to retract. The report argued that there is no evidence that tax cuts for high-income earners boosts economic growth, which Republicans didn’t want out in the public sphere.

    Here’s what Senate Democrats said on why they decided to release the retracted report:

    The analysis, conducted by the Congressional Research Service, compared tax policy with GDP patterns over the last 65 years. The report’s findings undermine a central tenet of Republican party orthodoxy on taxes.

    The report was first released in September but was removed from public circulation shortly thereafter, apparently after pressure was applied by Senate Republican leaders.

    We are re-posting the report here, in its original form, so that it receives the unfiltered exposure it deserves as a nonpartisan analysis.

    The study from Thomas Hungerford is available here.

    The New York Times reported on the dispute today. After the release of the CRS analysis in September, Senate Republicans, led by Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, complained about not just the findings, but the wording of the report; specifically, they didn’t like the use of the phrases “Bush tax cuts” and “tax cuts for the rich.” McConnell and Republicans also smeared Hungerford as a partisan Democrat, citing his political donations to Democratic campaigns. As Sen. Chuck Schumer, messaging leader of Senate Democrats, says, “This has hues of a banana republic. [Republicans] didn’t like a report, and instead of rebutting it, they had them take it down.”

    According to the NYT, the Congressional Research Service’s economic division recommended that the report stand, and Hungerford defended the analysis. But CRS took down the report anyway.

    The report analyzed data going back to the 1940s to determine whether lower tax rates at the top increase economic growth by increasing investment and productivity. And it finds that average GDP growth was higher in the 1950s, when the top marginal tax rate routinely exceeded 90%, than in the 2000s, when the top rate stood at 35%. “There is not conclusive evidence, however, to substantiate a clear relationship between the 65-year steady reduction in the top tax rates and economic growth,” Hungerford writes, though he sees a more definitive correlation between reductions in the top tax rates and the rise of massive, concentrated income inequality.

    Republicans claim that CRS decided on their own to pull the study after criticisms, which they claim were based on solid economic grounds. But this pressure placed on non-partisan research ties into the war on facts that we’ve seen across the spectrum of data from conservatives. Statistics show a decrease in the unemployment rate, so the Bureau of Labor Statistics must be cooking the books. Nate Silver’s aggregation of polls show President Obama with an edge in the election, so he must be skewing the data. Climate scientists show massive environmental effects from man-made climate change, so they must be lying. And now, the Congressional Research Service is biased.


    Jared Bernstein writes:

    The study, by economist Tom Hungerford, is of high quality, and is one I’ve cited here at OTE. Its findings are fairly common in the economics literature and the concerns raised by that noted econometrician Mitch McConnell are trumped up and bogus. He and his colleagues don’t like the findings because they strike at the supply-side arguments that they hold so dear [...] Woe betide us as a nation if this stands.

    According to Bernstein, the study did account for time lags from policy shifts, a core criticism from Republicans, as well as outside factors that could impact the economy. He described the takedown of the report as unprecedented.

    And that’s true. This war on facts, where nobody can agree on a common reality based on rigorously study of data, is debilitating to democracy.

    UPDATE: Top Democrat on the Ways and Means Committee Sander Levin wants answers from CRS as to why they pulled the report.

    lol.. that good ol' Republican strategy: spew a bunch of sht. and if anyone disproves you, cover up the evidence.
    Last edited by ajn; 11-02-2012 at 07:28 AM.
    Meditation is the sh*t (srs) (no hippy) (strong informative thread):

    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143525223&page=1

    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    **Baltimore Ravens**
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Banned amtharin's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Stats: 5'10", 180 lbs
    Posts: 27,394
    Rep Power: 0
    amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit amtharin's BodySpace
    amtharin is offline
    “There is not conclusive evidence, however, to substantiate a clear relationship between the 65-year steady reduction in the top tax rates and economic growth”


    So they cant find a relationship, but they can say it failed??
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User ajn's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Stats: 6'1", 189 lbs
    Posts: 6,273
    BodyPoints: 854
    Rep Power: 3520
    ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit ajn's BodySpace
    ajn is offline
    Originally Posted by amtharin View Post
    “There is not conclusive evidence, however, to substantiate a clear relationship between the 65-year steady reduction in the top tax rates and economic growth”


    So they cant find a relationship, but they can say it failed??
    If there's no relationship, that implies that the theory is not valid..
    Meditation is the sh*t (srs) (no hippy) (strong informative thread):

    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143525223&page=1

    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    **Baltimore Ravens**
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Banned amtharin's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Stats: 5'10", 180 lbs
    Posts: 27,394
    Rep Power: 0
    amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit amtharin's BodySpace
    amtharin is offline
    Originally Posted by ajn View Post
    If there's no relationship, that implies that the theory is not valid..

    They could not establish a relationship. That is not saying that others have not.

    It does not look good for your study when you make a conclusion, but they claim that no real correlation could be established.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User reelop19's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Location: Orlando, Florida, United States
    Posts: 727
    Rep Power: 267
    reelop19 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) reelop19 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) reelop19 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) reelop19 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) reelop19 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) reelop19 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) reelop19 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) reelop19 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) reelop19 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) reelop19 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) reelop19 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit reelop19's BodySpace
    reelop19 is offline
    Trickle down does work. What does not work is when you increase taxes and regulations, government spending, and social programs that convolute any study to prove trickle down economics.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User TruthandJustice's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2011
    Age: 28
    Stats: 5'9", 161 lbs
    Posts: 374
    Rep Power: 1396
    TruthandJustice has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TruthandJustice has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TruthandJustice has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TruthandJustice has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TruthandJustice has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TruthandJustice has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TruthandJustice has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TruthandJustice has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TruthandJustice has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TruthandJustice has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TruthandJustice has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit TruthandJustice's BodySpace
    TruthandJustice is offline
    Lets see...

    The first Cell-Phone in 1983 cost $3,995 (~$9,000 adjusted for inflation)

    Cell Phone I bought last year cost $20. No contract, full qwerty keyboard, LCD screen, radio, text, calendar, camera, and other features that weren't available in 1983.

    Instead of spending 3 month's salary on a cell phone, I spent 1 hour's pay on a cell phone. And it was a lot nicer of a phone. Obviously trickle-down economics is fake.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Banned amtharin's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Stats: 5'10", 180 lbs
    Posts: 27,394
    Rep Power: 0
    amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit amtharin's BodySpace
    amtharin is offline
    Originally Posted by TruthandJustice View Post
    Lets see...

    The first Cell-Phone in 1983 cost $3,995 (~$9,000 adjusted for inflation)

    Cell Phone I bought last year cost $20. No contract, full qwerty keyboard, LCD screen, radio, text, calendar, camera, and other features that weren't available in 1983.

    Instead of spending 3 month's salary on a cell phone, I spent 1 hour's pay on a cell phone. And it was a lot nicer of a phone. Obviously trickle-down economics is fake.
    Tax breaks and support for companies like Sprint, and Verizon have definitely had not positive affects on society, right OP??
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User ajn's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Stats: 6'1", 189 lbs
    Posts: 6,273
    BodyPoints: 854
    Rep Power: 3520
    ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit ajn's BodySpace
    ajn is offline
    Originally Posted by amtharin View Post
    They could not establish a relationship. That is not saying that others have not.

    It does not look good for your study when you make a conclusion, but they claim that no real correlation could be established.
    Huh?

    No correlation can be established is a scientific way of saying they are unrelated, ie tax cuts for the wealthy do not stimulate economic growth.

    If I gather data on car color vs gas mileage, the data will show no correlation, because car color does not have an effect on gas mileage.
    Meditation is the sh*t (srs) (no hippy) (strong informative thread):

    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143525223&page=1

    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    **Baltimore Ravens**
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Banned amtharin's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Stats: 5'10", 180 lbs
    Posts: 27,394
    Rep Power: 0
    amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit amtharin's BodySpace
    amtharin is offline
    Originally Posted by ajn View Post
    Huh?

    No correlation can be established is a scientific way of saying they are unrelated, ie tax cuts for the wealthy do not stimulate economic growth.

    If I gather data on car color vs gas mileage, the data will show no correlation, because car color does not have an effect on gas mileage.
    Huh?? WTF? No it's not. They didnt say "no correlation could be established". They said it was not conclusive, or that it was unclear. Its saying that they could not establish a direct relationship due the the complexity of the issue, not because they are "unrelated".
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Smelling my fingers frankenstein78's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2012
    Stats: 6'0", 201 lbs
    Posts: 6,520
    Rep Power: 8172
    frankenstein78 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) frankenstein78 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) frankenstein78 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) frankenstein78 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) frankenstein78 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) frankenstein78 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) frankenstein78 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) frankenstein78 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) frankenstein78 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) frankenstein78 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) frankenstein78 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit frankenstein78's BodySpace
    frankenstein78 is offline
    Trickle down supporters are often as dogmatic as the Obama supporters who think raising taxes on millionaires will do jack **** to help the budget deficit (it won't). Both come down to differing philosophies. I will say at least the trickle down supporters are saying we shouldn't punish success, while the people always wanting to raise taxes on the rich are full of envy.

    EFFECTIVE tax rates are what matter, not the marginal ones that are always cited. Some rather large corporations pay zero effective (real) taxes each year, which shows how our IRS tax code is a big ass kissing session to big business. At the same time, people who claim the rich individuals need to pay their 'fair share' are full of ****. If you pay $100,000 in federal taxes this year, I don't care how high your income is, you paid more than your 'fair share.' Are you going to use anywhere near $100,000 of federal govt services this year? No. This is why that term 'fair share' needs to go into the dumpster, where it belongs. The 'fair share' people need to be honest with their language and simply say, the rich need to have their taxes raised. Then we can have a discussion about what's right or wrong with that.
    America needs fewer laws, not more prisons. – James Bovard
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Registered User ajn's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Stats: 6'1", 189 lbs
    Posts: 6,273
    BodyPoints: 854
    Rep Power: 3520
    ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit ajn's BodySpace
    ajn is offline
    Originally Posted by amtharin View Post
    Huh?? WTF? No it's not. They didnt say "no correlation could be established". They said it was not conclusive, or that it was unclear. Its saying that they could not establish a direct relationship due the the complexity of the issue, not because they are "unrelated".
    No, there is no correlation. From the report:

    The results of the analysis suggest that changes over the past 65 years in the top marginal tax rate and the top capital gains tax rate do not appear correlated with economic growth. The reduction in the top tax rates appears to be uncorrelated with saving, investment, and productivity growth. The top tax rates appear to have little or no relation to the size of the economic pie.


    Originally Posted by frankenstein78 View Post
    Trickle down supporters are often as dogmatic as the Obama supporters who think raising taxes on millionaires will do jack **** to help the budget deficit (it won't). Both come down to differing philosophies. I will say at least the trickle down supporters are saying we shouldn't punish success, while the people always wanting to raise taxes on the rich are full of envy.

    EFFECTIVE tax rates are what matter, not the marginal ones that are always cited. Some rather large corporations pay zero effective (real) taxes each year, which shows how our IRS tax code is a big ass kissing session to big business. At the same time, people who claim the rich individuals need to pay their 'fair share' are full of ****. If you pay $100,000 in federal taxes this year, I don't care how high your income is, you paid more than your 'fair share.' Are you going to use anywhere near $100,000 of federal govt services this year? No. This is why that term 'fair share' needs to go into the dumpster, where it belongs. The 'fair share' people need to be honest with their language and simply say, the rich need to have their taxes raised. Then we can have a discussion about what's right or wrong with that.
    The 'fair share' rhetoric, is aimed at addressing the ridiculous income inequality in our country. The report shows how tax cuts for the wealthy lead to greater income disparity.
    Meditation is the sh*t (srs) (no hippy) (strong informative thread):

    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143525223&page=1

    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    **Baltimore Ravens**
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    Registered User PSToolman's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 57
    Stats: 6'0", 190 lbs
    Posts: 6,620
    Rep Power: 0
    PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit PSToolman's BodySpace
    PSToolman is offline
    Originally Posted by TruthandJustice View Post
    Lets see...

    The first Cell-Phone in 1983 cost $3,995 (~$9,000 adjusted for inflation)

    Cell Phone I bought last year cost $20. No contract, full qwerty keyboard, LCD screen, radio, text, calendar, camera, and other features that weren't available in 1983.

    Instead of spending 3 month's salary on a I cell phone, I spent 1 hour's pay on a cell phone. And it was a lot nicer of a phone. Obviously trickle-down economics is fake.
    You can't be serious.
    "The people on these sites? They're the cast of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest."
    Reply With Quote

  13. #13
    Banned amtharin's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Stats: 5'10", 180 lbs
    Posts: 27,394
    Rep Power: 0
    amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit amtharin's BodySpace
    amtharin is offline
    Originally Posted by ajn View Post
    No, there is no correlation. From the report:
    Wrong phaggot, its inconclusive...

    “There is not conclusive evidence, however, to substantiate a clear relationship between the 65-year steady reduction in the top tax rates and economic growth”
    Reply With Quote

  14. #14
    Registered User 7rmr's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: Ontario, Canada
    Age: 25
    Stats: 5'6", 180 lbs
    Posts: 5,650
    Rep Power: 6144
    7rmr has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7rmr has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7rmr has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7rmr has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7rmr has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7rmr has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7rmr has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7rmr has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7rmr has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7rmr has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7rmr has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit 7rmr's BodySpace
    7rmr is online now
    Originally Posted by amtharin View Post
    Wrong phaggot, its inconclusive...

    “There is not conclusive evidence, however, to substantiate a clear relationship between the 65-year steady reduction in the top tax rates and economic growth”
    Let's make this a little bit simpler.

    Pretend they were looking at whether drinking apple juice gives you cancer. If they then said "there is not conclusive evidence however to substantiate a clear relationship between drinking apple juice and developing cancer"

    You wouldn't then say "well that means we don't know"

    A lack of evidence here shows there is no correlation, that is all that is necessary to show trickle down does not work, or, that apple juice does not cause cancer.
    Reply With Quote

  15. #15
    Banned amtharin's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Stats: 5'10", 180 lbs
    Posts: 27,394
    Rep Power: 0
    amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit amtharin's BodySpace
    amtharin is offline
    Originally Posted by 7rmr View Post
    Let's make this a little bit simpler.

    Pretend they were looking at whether drinking apple juice gives you cancer. If they then said "there is not conclusive evidence however to substantiate a clear relationship between drinking apple juice and developing cancer"

    You wouldn't then say "well that means we don't know"

    A lack of evidence here shows there is no correlation, that is all that is necessary to show trickle down does not work, or, that apple juice does not cause cancer.
    This study does not exist in a vaccum. Others have made the correlation. That is why he, and you, are wrong.


    EDIT FOR THE LULZ AND TO DRIVE MY POINT HOME: Studies showing that apple juice causes cancer... http://www.huliq.com/10178/dr-oz-sho...ht-apple-juice
    Last edited by amtharin; 11-02-2012 at 08:45 AM.
    Reply With Quote

  16. #16
    Registered User ajn's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Stats: 6'1", 189 lbs
    Posts: 6,273
    BodyPoints: 854
    Rep Power: 3520
    ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ajn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit ajn's BodySpace
    ajn is offline
    Originally Posted by amtharin View Post
    This study does not exist in a vaccum. Others have made the correlation. That is why he is wrong.
    The equivalent of this post: "There are other people who have done studies and determined that the Earth is 6000 years old. That's why evolution is wrong."


    How about you explain how the findings of this report are not valid and those others ones are?

    And by the way, this is hardly the first or only study to demonstrate that tax cuts for the wealthy don't lead to economic growth.
    Meditation is the sh*t (srs) (no hippy) (strong informative thread):

    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143525223&page=1

    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    **Baltimore Ravens**
    Reply With Quote

  17. #17
    Registered User UncommonGrounds's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2012
    Posts: 754
    Rep Power: 69
    UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    UncommonGrounds is offline
    Originally Posted by amtharin View Post
    This study does not exist in a vaccum. Others have made the correlation. That is why he, and you, are wrong.


    EDIT FOR THE LULZ AND TO DRIVE MY POINT HOME: Studies showing that apple juice causes cancer... http://www.huliq.com/10178/dr-oz-sho...ht-apple-juice
    The big takeaway from this story is not that there is a study that claims there is no relationship between two variables. A single study should only be used a piece of evidence in the construction of an argument.

    The important part of this is that Republicans don't want to deal with facts that contradict their claims. They don't want to go through and attack the flaws in the study. They want to silence it. They start with an ideology and adjust facts to fit their preconceived notion of the world.
    Reply With Quote

  18. #18
    Banned amtharin's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Stats: 5'10", 180 lbs
    Posts: 27,394
    Rep Power: 0
    amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit amtharin's BodySpace
    amtharin is offline
    Originally Posted by ajn View Post
    The equivalent of this post: "There are other people who have done studies and determined that the Earth is 6000 years old. That's why evolution is wrong."
    What a baseless thing to say. Just because you can make a comparison, does mean that its relevant, or that you should. I guess to you anything that is inconclusive is as ridiculous as the young earth theory.

    Agan, just stupid on your part.


    How about you explain how the findings of this report are not valid and those others ones are?

    And by the way, this is hardly the first or only study to demonstrate that tax cuts for the wealthy don't lead to economic growth.
    WHy would I waste my time doing that?? Why cant you just acknowledge the truth, which is other studies have shown other things, and at best you could say its inconclusive.
    Reply With Quote

  19. #19
    Banned amtharin's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Stats: 5'10", 180 lbs
    Posts: 27,394
    Rep Power: 0
    amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit amtharin's BodySpace
    amtharin is offline
    Originally Posted by UncommonGrounds View Post
    The big takeaway from this story is not that there is a study that claims there is no relationship between two variables. A single study should only be used a piece of evidence in the construction of an argument.
    The OP says that it is inconclusive. You're stepping in the same pile of **** that ajn did.

    The important part of this is that Republicans don't want to deal with facts that contradict their claims. They don't want to go through and attack the flaws in the study. They want to silence it. They start with an ideology and adjust facts to fit their preconceived notion of the world.
    This stuff is not new, but cool assumption that you make thinking that Republicans have not considered these facts before. Kind of like when you just assumed why lending was not going on.
    Reply With Quote

  20. #20
    Registered User TruthandJustice's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2011
    Age: 28
    Stats: 5'9", 161 lbs
    Posts: 374
    Rep Power: 1396
    TruthandJustice has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TruthandJustice has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TruthandJustice has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TruthandJustice has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TruthandJustice has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TruthandJustice has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TruthandJustice has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TruthandJustice has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TruthandJustice has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TruthandJustice has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TruthandJustice has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit TruthandJustice's BodySpace
    TruthandJustice is offline
    Originally Posted by ajn View Post
    The equivalent of this post: "There are other people who have done studies and determined that the Earth is 6000 years old. That's why evolution is wrong."


    How about you explain how the findings of this report are not valid and those others ones are?

    And by the way, this is hardly the first or only study to demonstrate that tax cuts for the wealthy don't lead to economic growth.
    That depends upon what you mean by tax cuts. If by tax cuts you mean an across the board, no strings attached, tax cut so that the wealthy aren't being taxed at 3 times the rate of everyone else and can keep more of their own money, then yes, that would lead to economic growth.

    If by tax cuts you mean the government tells corporations they need to do x, y, and z to qualify for a tax break, such as use "green" energy, then no, that probably won't lead to economic growth since it's not really a tax cut.
    Reply With Quote

  21. #21
    Registered User PSToolman's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 57
    Stats: 6'0", 190 lbs
    Posts: 6,620
    Rep Power: 0
    PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit PSToolman's BodySpace
    PSToolman is offline
    Originally Posted by TruthandJustice View Post
    Lets see...

    The first Cell-Phone in 1983 cost $3,995 (~$9,000 adjusted for inflation)

    Cell Phone I bought last year cost $20. No contract, full qwerty keyboard, LCD screen, radio, text, calendar, camera, and other features that weren't available in 1983.

    Instead of spending 3 month's salary on a I cell phone, I spent 1 hour's pay on a cell phone. And it was a lot nicer of a phone. Obviously trickle-down economics is fake.
    You can't be serious.
    "The people on these sites? They're the cast of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest."
    Reply With Quote

  22. #22
    Registered User UncommonGrounds's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2012
    Posts: 754
    Rep Power: 69
    UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    UncommonGrounds is offline
    Originally Posted by amtharin View Post
    The OP says that it is inconclusive. You're stepping in the same pile of **** that ajn did.
    If you look for a relationship between two variables and you say you can't "substantiate a clear relationship" then the findings are not some middle of the road non answer. They're in direct opposition of the initial claim that there is a relationship.
    Reply With Quote

  23. #23
    Banned amtharin's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Stats: 5'10", 180 lbs
    Posts: 27,394
    Rep Power: 0
    amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit amtharin's BodySpace
    amtharin is offline
    Originally Posted by UncommonGrounds View Post
    If you look for a relationship between two variables and you say you can't "substantiate a clear relationship" then the findings are not some middle of the road non answer. They're in direct opposition of the initial claim that there is a relationship.
    It does not say cant substantiate..

    "There is not conclusive evidence, however, to substantiate a clear relationship"


    Im mean, you're just twisting **** to try and pull yourself out of this one. Its not working.
    Reply With Quote

  24. #24
    Registered User PSToolman's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 57
    Stats: 6'0", 190 lbs
    Posts: 6,620
    Rep Power: 0
    PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PSToolman is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit PSToolman's BodySpace
    PSToolman is offline
    Originally Posted by amtharin View Post
    It does not say cant substantiate..

    "There is not conclusive evidence, however, to substantiate a clear relationship"


    Im mean, you're just twisting **** to try and pull yourself out of this one. Its not working.
    Lol you should change your screen name to Gumby, that's how much you're twisting this.
    "The people on these sites? They're the cast of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest."
    Reply With Quote

  25. #25
    Babyslayer Protege NF0913's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2011
    Age: 23
    Posts: 2,074
    Rep Power: 1681
    NF0913 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NF0913 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NF0913 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NF0913 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NF0913 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NF0913 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NF0913 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NF0913 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NF0913 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NF0913 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NF0913 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    NF0913 is offline
    good thing mitt romney wants to cut everyone's taxes by 20% then, not just for the rich.

    god libs are stupid.

    you idiots really think that mitt's tax plan won't help the economy on a massive scale?
    *Jungle Fever Crew*
    Reply With Quote

  26. #26
    Registered User UncommonGrounds's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2012
    Posts: 754
    Rep Power: 69
    UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    UncommonGrounds is offline
    Originally Posted by amtharin View Post
    "inconclusive"

    "can't substantiate a clear relationship" (i.e. unclear)


    Im mean, you're just twisting **** to try and pull yourself out of this one. Its not working.
    If I make a claim saying x causes y.

    You do a study and find no clear relationship.

    It is in direct conflict with my claim. When evaluating a claim of causation, finding a lack of relationship is a finding in direct opposition to the initial claim.
    Reply With Quote

  27. #27
    Banned amtharin's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Stats: 5'10", 180 lbs
    Posts: 27,394
    Rep Power: 0
    amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit amtharin's BodySpace
    amtharin is offline
    Originally Posted by PSToolman View Post
    Lol you should change your screen name to Gumby, that's how much you're twisting this.
    What am I twisting?? (<---- you will not answer this question) Im the only person in this thread saying the OP says what it actually says. Others such as ajn, 7rmr, and uncommongrounds all made in correct assumptions about what the OP said and got called out immediately.
    Reply With Quote

  28. #28
    Banned amtharin's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Stats: 5'10", 180 lbs
    Posts: 27,394
    Rep Power: 0
    amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit amtharin's BodySpace
    amtharin is offline
    Originally Posted by UncommonGrounds View Post
    If I make a claim saying x causes y.

    You do a study and find no clear relationship.

    It is in direct conflict with my claim. When evaluating a claim of causation, finding a lack of relationship is a finding in direct opposition to the initial claim.
    Give it up man, you've been worked over like a cheap whore already in this thread, and its not even page 2.
    Reply With Quote

  29. #29
    Registered User UncommonGrounds's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2012
    Posts: 754
    Rep Power: 69
    UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) UncommonGrounds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    UncommonGrounds is offline
    Originally Posted by amtharin View Post
    (again, no lack of a relationship was found, the OP clearly say not conclusive)
    No lack of relationship was found?

    If there isn't a relationship there is a lack of relationship.

    Lack means without. Are you claiming that the study finds a relationship? If you're not claiming the study finds a relationship, you're saying there is a lack of relationship. There is no inbetween.

    I'm sure you'll run away like when you "went to the gym" yesterday.
    Reply With Quote

  30. #30
    Banned amtharin's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Stats: 5'10", 180 lbs
    Posts: 27,394
    Rep Power: 0
    amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) amtharin has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit amtharin's BodySpace
    amtharin is offline
    Originally Posted by UncommonGrounds View Post
    No lack of relationship was found?

    If there isn't a relationship there is a lack of relationship.

    Lack means without. Are you claiming that the study finds a relationship? If you're not claiming the study finds a relationship, you're saying there is a lack of relationship. There is no inbetween.
    Again, stop misquoting the article...

    “There is not conclusive evidence, however, to substantiate a clear relationship"

    All they said is that there was not clear evidence of a relationship, not that there was a lack of a relationship.
    Reply With Quote

Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Home Store Products Careers Help Contact Us Terms of Use Checkout