Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by pilby View Post
    Here are the pics.

I think the bar was purchased separately from the weights. At least,when I was talking to him, he said he had just bought the bar for $60.

He said he had had a bunch of equipment that he was getting rid of because he didn't have room for it anymore and had just joined gym. He had been able to sell everything else at a yard sale, including a standard weight set, a bench and some dumbbells, but no one was interested in the Oly set.
    Nice looking deep dishes, I've never seen the likes of them before.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    OP, looks like you got a nice set for that money. Congratulations!

pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for all the input and help. I ended up with a full Oly set for less than I was ready to spend for a couple extra standard plates and I'm definitely happy. The set has been a joy to work out with, and I've already started using its bigger capacity. I had stalled at 270# deadlift with my standard set because that's physically all I could put on it. But I got a set of 280# DL's in the night before last. Felt good.

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for all the input and help. I ended up with a full Oly set for less than I was ready to spend for a couple extra standard plates and I'm definitely happy. The set has been a joy to work out with, and I've already started using its bigger capacity. I had stalled at 270# deadlift with my standard set because that's physically all I could put on it. But I got a set of 280# DL's in the night before last. Felt good.
    Nice work, both with the plates and the DL's--repped!
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

Nice to see a follow up to a thread OP. Enjoy your new weights.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Now you need to find a few more 45's so your deadlift doesn't stall again!
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10) pilby is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I repped everyone who gave input in the thread until I got cut off for the day.

But I guess that does nothing until I get up to 50 posts, eh? Just need to find some threads to really get sucked into, I guess.

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I repped everyone who gave input in the thread until I got cut off for the day.

But I guess that does nothing until I get up to 50 posts, eh? Just need to find some threads to really get sucked into, I guess.
    Just stick around and contribute, and the reps will come back to you fella.

ATB
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by dumb.bell View Post
    Most people on this board will tell you to abandon the standard plates and start over with Olympic.

Where are you located?
    I don't think I've come across anyone who has upgraded to Olympic and regretted that decision later on.

skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I just picked up an older York 7" standard bar. I am going to give it a run on some lifts the next few weeks.

JirehStudios has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JirehStudios has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JirehStudios has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JirehStudios has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JirehStudios has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JirehStudios has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JirehStudios has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JirehStudios has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JirehStudios has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JirehStudios has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JirehStudios has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just go with the olympic, it would be a great investment especially if you're thinking of building your own home gym little by little.

wetweva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have two lat towers and the standard leg extension additions on two benches, and I keep them all loaded for different specific exercise sets/reps I do.
    That said, I keep a supply of cheaper 1" plates for those because they're just used for ballast that I just add to every once/while...

I use Oly plates for any bar work, and I use several bars for different things, but I like the Olys for stuff I move plates around a lot for.

The suggestion I'd make is that, whatever you decide, weigh all your plates and label them. Specifically pay attention to the actual weights of the plate because it's easier to balance your lift bars and increase increments if you know the actual weights.
    If you're buying new - return the plates that are over 3% or 5% difference from labeled weight. If buying used - just pay attention.
    Sometimes you'll add a single 2.5 or even a (2.5 + 1.25) plate(s) to one side of the bar to balance a lift.