sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wrist roller, Thick vs. Thin handle

I have a rope tired to an adjustable dumbell handle with a weight on the end right now. it works good but I was thinking that a thicker handle would yield better results. I try to incorporate thicker handles where ever I can to increase grip strength. But with the turning action (rolling), I was usure if there would be benefits. I have a 2 inch diameter steel pipe that I was thinking about using. it's just as easy as drilling a hole and slipping the rope through. but why waste a good piece of metal if it's not gonna be any better...

Anyone with some first hand experience on this?

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sen2two View Post
    I have a rope tired to an adjustable dumbell handle with a weight on the end right now. it works good but I was thinking that a thicker handle would yield better results. I try to incorporate thicker handles where ever I can to increase grip strength. But with the turning action (rolling), I was usure if there would be benefits. I have a 2 inch diameter steel pipe that I was thinking about using. it's just as easy as drilling a hole and slipping the rope through. but why waste a good piece of metal if it's not gonna be any better...

Anyone with some first hand experience on this?
    I'm exactly the same OP, I love thick handle work, but when I built a 2inch wrist roller it didn't work as well as I wanted it too and the training effect was no where near as good as a thiner handle. Its fine for the hand thats doing the turning, but the hand that the pole is rolling in needs to be loose, but you end up having to grip it too much leading to jerky movement and a massive reduction in weight. Its cheap enough to make one so try it yourself and you may like it.

The best size I found was a 1.25in dia pipe.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

creepa200 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creepa200 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creepa200 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creepa200 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creepa200 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creepa200 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creepa200 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creepa200 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creepa200 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creepa200 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creepa200 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have the same exact thing. I tied a rope around a spare DB handle and been using that for a year now. The other day I saw a piece of 2 inch PVC in the garage and was thinking of drilling a hole and tying to that. I guess protein might be right about it being to thick. This thread popped up at a good time before I started the project. It was on my todo list and I would have actually done it yesterday but I was making a calf raise. (2x4s in a H pattern)

ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I should have stated that I didn't like using the two inch roller when it was freestanding i.e no supporting frame, but if you are planning on mounting it on a power rack or similar setup then I imagine it to be awesome so don't completly write the project off just yet.

Mounted

My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The mounted version looks great to isolate the lower portion of the arm better. But then you would lose the shoulder work done by having to hold your arms out and up keeping the weight steady and parrallel.

irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I would never worry about shoulder work if I was trying to increase strength/size in my forearms. It's minimal at best for delt stimulation. That's what dumbbell press, barbell press, log press, lateral raises, etc. are for.

Originally Posted by irongym View Post
    I would never worry about shoulder work if I was trying to increase strength/size in my forearms. It's minimal at best for delt stimulation. That's what dumbbell press, barbell press, log press, lateral raises, etc. are for.
    Beat me to it^.

Also, I have never understood why people hold the weight at shoulder hieght. By doing this you are just limiting the weight in which you can use by 1) Bringing your shoulders into the equation (2) Increasing the distance that you need to roll the handle.

By doing them at waist hieght you will be performing more then enough 'reps' but the weight will probably be double/triple what you can use from shoulder level. I used to get ridiculous pumps from doing it this way.
    My training log:
    ---------------