huhjunn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) huhjunn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is a power rack all you need to lift?

My goal is to just in general be strong and fit. I've been doing starting strength for a year so far and I'm squatting 225, benching 165, and deadlifting 180. I've been doing the program for so long because I get sick or just don't go to the gym for long periods cuz of school and so I try to get my gains back before moving on to another program. I'm thinking of moving onto 5x5 once I get my gains back.

So, I'm thinking of starting a home gym with just a power rack. Will it be enough for my training in the years to come? Or am I better off with a gym membership? I'm mainly getting a rack because its the same as a years worth of membership and is more worth it in the long run.

THanks!

Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Rack is pretty much all you need. Check CL so if you ever want to sell it you *wont lose money. (Resell for what you paid for.)

Still you need to factor in the cost of plates, bar, bench, etc...But all I have is a rack and its pretty good. For 5x5 and those barbell programs all you need is a rack. Home gym is most convenient.
    Last edited by Accutron; 12-10-2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Missing word or logic error, hahha
    []---[] Equipment Crew #6 []---[]
    Rogue R3 Crew -[]--(ಠ_ಠ)--[]-

Isn't it weird that pirates would go out to shore looking for buried treasure but the real treasure was in the friendships they were making?

"Where the **** are we at?" -Christopher Columbus

hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Accutron View Post
    Rack is pretty much all you need. Check CL so if you ever want to sell it your lose money.

Still you need to factor in the cost of plates, bar, bench, etc...But all I have is a rack and its pretty good. For 5x5 and those barbell programs all you need is a rack. Home gym is most convenient.
    This. The rack, bench and oly set would give u a very good starting point. You can add on as you become stronger and feel the need for specific items.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #24 ()---()

KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Sure, a rack, olympic set and utility bench is all you need! You really think you'll be satisfied with just that setup? Problem with home gyms is they grow. Soon, you'll be scoring other pieces of gear off of craigslist because the piece adds some convenience. You'll be moving furniture out of the way, taking space in the laundry room, spreading out. Your gym will look nothing like just a rack and bench in no time. Keep this in mind a year from now.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for a well-equipped home gym. Mine is constantly changing. It's really nice to have. Just, I don't believe that most people who go to the trouble of having a home gym (beyond owning some Marcy or Weider POS multi-gym) will rest until they have the perfect setup. Good luck, but now you've been warned.

sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The most popular thread on the equipment forum is "Cost No Object Machines and Free Weights, the Best of the Best". Peruse it and you'll find that about 99% is about machines, free weights are hardly mentioned. The machines most lusted after cost several times what a good power rack, bench, and weight set cost.

One of the more accomplished lifters on the forum mentioned that only 10% of his workout involved the power rack, but he does consider the power rack to be essential. The power rack provides good security for bench presses and some other presses. It also does the same for squats, but it seems that a lot of lifters do not squat in the rack.

A good way to plan out your home gym is to consider the exercises and lifts you plan to do, then determine the assortment of equipment you will need. A power rack, bench, and weight set, will probably be on the list, but so will machines that cost a good deal more (for quality ones) and take up a lot of space. You may find that a versatile machine is a better initial investment than a free weight setup, because you can do a bigger variety of exercises with it.
    Last edited by sherman; 12-10-2012 at 10:09 AM.

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you can afford the money for a good home gym and you have the space, it is superior to any commercial, work or school gym. Only you can determine what you need/want in your home gym. Keep in mind that it will take two to five years, at least, of not paying for a commercial gym to recoup the cost of your home gym. To accelerate the recoupment, and to get more and better equipment, many here flip workout equipment.

I started down the road to a home gym two years ago, and I will never go back to a commercial gym again as my primary place to work out.

ETA: Sherm, good post above.
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

huhjunn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) huhjunn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, I'm still a huge noob at bodybuilding and the only thing I see doing after SS is 5x5. I'm just worried about the future and whether or not I'll need machines to get more fit. I was hoping I would only need a power rack .

fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You'll need more than a rack, have you ever tried using one to do a dumbbell lateral raise! Way too bulky.
    New Evolution shat on me

-!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #7 -!!!---!!!-

"Were not talking about bodybuilding you fking retard. We're talking about Gorillas"

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    You can get pretty far with a power rack, but other gizmos will help you progress too. GHRs, reverse hypers let you do a lot without taking up much space compared to globo gym equivalents like leg extension machines. Globo gym equipment is designed for ease of use. You can probably fit the equivalent of a globo gym in a much smaller space if you sacrifice ease of use.

On the flip side, many gyms don't allow deadlifts, have too few racks and freeweights which will stall progress significantly at your beginner level.

And don't worry, all you need is a rack for years to come. Perhaps even your whole life depending on your fitness goals. It's the advanced powerlifters and bodybuilders that really need extra.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000)
    Optimally (though cost will be higher) it would be better to have a cage with an attached high and low pulley along with dip and chin capabilities. The pulleys are not absolutely necessary but definitely help with variety (pulldowns, pressdowns, low rows, shrigs, etc.). Add a set of Ironmaster DBs and you're set.

Bodycraft setup (not mine)

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you are doing S/S you know that an EZ curl bar helps for triceps, but not biceps. A dip station is also good. Some like a lat pulldown with a low row. If you have the room, I would not get one that fits inside the rack. It gets cramped and if you have a lower end rack, you will not be able to put you bench on the back outside of the rack. Or you can get an additiona barbell and an attachment to the rack that will allow you to do bent over rows. (You can actually just put the barbell in a corner, but the attachment can give some stability.)

Dumbbells are cool too. If you have room, and money, build up a set with db racks to hold them. If not, get one of the two generally accepted types of adjustable dbs.

What you need and want is up to you, not us. You're the one working out for strength, health, looks, etc. You're the one who has to figure out how much money and space you have. You are the one who has to determine what to compromise on, what to live without, and what to get at all costs. We can't do that for you.
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

I'm getting a lot of mixed answers lol. Some people say Rack is all I need (and of course I'm including bench and weights). Others say it's not

Originally Posted by AttyGuy View Post
    If you are doing S/S you know that an EZ curl bar helps for triceps, but not biceps. A dip station is also good. Some like a lat pulldown with a low row. If you have the room, I would not get one that fits inside the rack. It gets cramped and if you have a lower end rack, you will not be able to put you bench on the back outside of the rack. Or you can get an additiona barbell and an attachment to the rack that will allow you to do bent over rows. (You can actually just put the barbell in a corner, but the attachment can give some stability.)

Dumbbells are cool too. If you have room, and money, build up a set with db racks to hold them. If not, get one of the two generally accepted types of adjustable dbs.

What you need and want is up to you, not us. You're the one working out for strength, health, looks, etc. You're the one who has to figure out how much money and space you have. You are the one who has to determine what to compromise on, what to live without, and what to get at all costs. We can't do that for you.
    Well I mean, I don't know what workouts I'll need to progress onto and what machines those workouts will require.

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    No one said you need more. You may want more but can do without it.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by huhjunn View Post
    Well I mean, I don't know what workouts I'll need to progress onto and what machines those workouts will require.

Then why on earth would you want to buy anything?

Even used, exercise equipment isn't "cheap"....you're probably going to need several hundred dollars to invest at the least, why not learn before you go flushing it down the toilet?

The reason you're getting mixed results is because different people believe different things. Different things are prioritized differently for individuals....just like everything else in life.

The best advice you got here was from Atty......"What you need and want is up to you, not us......."

The power rack is strongly advised by most because its so versatile. With a bar, a bench, a 300 lb set of plates, and a cage the owner can do squats, benches, and overhead presses in the safety of the cage. He can then use the bar & plates for any number of free weight exercises. He can also use the pullup bar for pullups and abs.

This setup is just about bullet proof with all the things that can be done....regardless of the goals. If the user decides it isn't for them, they can sell it quickly on Craigslist, so very little is gambled.

Its a simple setup for a variety of questions. Any other devices that are acquired or desired are not wrong....they just complicate every aspect of your decision....finances, space, functionality, versatility, and resell-ability.

If you don't want to research....buy a rack, bench, bar, and plates. If you do want to research.....you'll probably still end up with the same and maybe some other stuff.....but you'll know what you want and why.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Lots of good advice. IMO, if you don't know what you need, a gym membership might actually be the best route.

...cuz of school...
    Your school doesn't have a gym?
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Well, I'm still a huge noob at bodybuilding and the only thing I see doing after SS is 5x5. I'm just worried about the future and whether or not I'll need machines to get more fit. I was hoping I would only need a power rack .
    See profile for a member here. JFindon. He hasn't been posting much lately but he has never been to a commercial gym and lifts in his basement in a tiny space with just a rack. This should answer your question.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.19

Proud Owner of an Irish Tan

sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Machines are the common workout tool for most people. Visit a commercial gym (other than hard core) and you'll a lot of very fit men and women working out on the machines and very few doing free weights. Free weights will get you strong but a certain amount of dedication is required That's why you really should go to gym that has a wide variety of equipment to find out what you feel most comfortable with.

I'm curious about something. You've been doing squats, benches, and deadlifts for quite a while. What equipment are you using for this?

smokinjoe129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smokinjoe129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smokinjoe129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smokinjoe129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smokinjoe129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smokinjoe129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smokinjoe129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smokinjoe129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smokinjoe129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smokinjoe129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smokinjoe129 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by KeithTheSnake View Post
    Sure, a rack, olympic set and utility bench is all you need! You really think you'll be satisfied with just that setup? Problem with home gyms is they grow. Soon, you'll be scoring other pieces of gear off of craigslist because the piece adds some convenience. You'll be moving furniture out of the way, taking space in the laundry room, spreading out. Your gym will look nothing like just a rack and bench in no time. Keep this in mind a year from now.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for a well-equipped home gym. Mine is constantly changing. It's really nice to have. Just, I don't believe that most people who go to the trouble of having a home gym (beyond owning some Marcy or Weider POS multi-gym) will rest until they have the perfect setup. Good luck, but now you've been warned.
    agreed started on starting strength, and then did Cressey's Maximum Strength and have added numerous equipment and goodies since my first bench and rack.

Originally Posted by sherman View Post
    Machines are the common workout tool for most people. Visit a commercial gym (other than hard core) and you'll a lot of very fit men and women working out on the machines and very few doing free weights. Free weights will get you strong but a certain amount of dedication is required That's why you really should go to gym that has a wide variety of equipment to find out what you feel most comfortable with.

I'm curious about something. You've been doing squats, benches, and deadlifts for quite a while. What equipment are you using for this?
    A gym's power rack lol

Fantasy Football Addict Impurityz's Avatar
    Impurityz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Impurityz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Impurityz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Impurityz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Impurityz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Impurityz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Impurityz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Impurityz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Impurityz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Impurityz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Impurityz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    all u need is a rack
    barbell
    and plates

and bench
    CPA

hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    A gym's power rack lol
    So what other equipments in the gym did u use or were tempted to use frequently? That should answer ur question
    ()---() York Barbell Club #24 ()---()

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Olympic Barbell and some plates, power rack with some sort of pull up bar. Find a hill to run or buy a sled and cheap skipping rope. Add plates as needed.

Buy 3 books. Starting Strength, 5/3/1, and the Juggernaut method.

Eat like a madman, watch your program and worry about next weeks lifts based on how this week felt... nexrt week is coming, Be ready. If it was hard, eat.

You'll get heavier, thats ok. Worry about kicking ass and not your "abs".

That's all I have.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GarageIron View Post
    Olympic Barbell and some plates, power rack with some sort of pull up bar. Find a hill to run or buy a sled and cheap skipping rope. Add plates as needed.

Buy 3 books. Starting Strength, 5/3/1, and the Juggernaut method.

Eat like a madman, watch your program and worry about next weeks lifts based on how this week felt... nexrt week is coming, Be ready. If it was hard, eat.

You'll get heavier, thats ok. Worry about kicking ass and not your "abs".

That's all I have.

This pretty much sums it up.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

♚ Elected V.P. - R/P ♚ sawoobley's Avatar
    sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    All you need is a rack, weights, bar, and FID bench. Don't worry about anything else until you can OHP 200, bench 300, squat 400 and dead lift 500 or you get more money and space. If you are creative you can add things to your power rack for dirt cheap like a dip station, etc.

Thank you for all the replies ladies and gents. Really appreciate it and I've decided to get the rack and all its accessories.