Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10)

? About technique

Hey guys/girls,

I got two questions, hopefully someone can help me out.

1. When I'm doing chest, specifically using DBs, what the proper way to get the weight at the starting position. I have a hard time getting the weight up, but once I do, I can bang out 6reps easily. For instance today I did incline db press 70lbs, it was hard as hell to get the weight up, but once I did (trying for x6) I hit the 6 easily. Problem is I want to go up in weight but I feel like I won't be able to get it to the starting position!!

2. Also flat bench, I've used machine for this in the past, but I'm really tryin to focus on free weights. Again im going for 6reps. I was trying to bench 245. Now maybe it's a conscious thing, but I'm a little nervous going all the way down, and not sure if ill come back up lol, so I do half reps, not full range of motion. Doing this, I'm I wasting my time? Or will I adapt to the weight and be able to complete full range of motion.

Any suggestions will help, thanks in advance.
    Fitness2Fitness

Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ptrulli is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Anyone?
    Fitness2Fitness

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    1. Put the db's on your knees and kick them up into starting position.

2. Well, it's less effective than full reps. Either lower the weights or get a spotter.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Ptrulli View Post
    Problem is I want to go up in weight but I feel like I won't be able to get it to the starting position!!
    The guy in this vid is kind of a douche bag, but what he says works:

2. Also flat bench, I've used machine for this in the past, but I'm really tryin to focus on free weights. Again im going for 6reps. I was trying to bench 245. Now maybe it's a conscious thing, but I'm a little nervous going all the way down, and not sure if ill come back up lol, so I do half reps, not full range of motion. Doing this, I'm I wasting my time? Or will I adapt to the weight and be able to complete full range of motion.
    If all you ever do is half-reps, you'll only gain strength in that small ROM. IOW, if your goal is to bench 245 with full ROM, then train in a full ROM.

If for some reason you can't get someone to spot you, set up in a power rack with the safety catchers adjusted to keep the bar off you if you miss a rep.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Thanks everyone. Using the knee to lift up, I use that but it feels awkward some reason.

The YouTube video I'm on the app and can't watch it yet, but will do so once I get home.

In terms of ROM I rather do that then half reps. I'm at the gym at 430am it's usually empty. But I'll take your advice with the safety catchers. If I can't do 245 I will lower the weight till I can go Full ROM

Lastly what's IOW stand for?
    Fitness2Fitness

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    in other words

Awesome thanks

The video worked now, looks like that'll work, I'll have to try it out, but ill practise it first with light DBs.
    Fitness2Fitness

Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    As it has been said... If you often have problems doing the first rep, but find the others easy, is because you do not perform full reps. I am usually strongest in my first rep, everytime.
    "Do not subordinate fundamental principles to minor details."

Physiotherapy instagram
    https://www.instagram.com/dayyan.physio/

JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeTommy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Ptrulli View Post
    Hey guys/girls,

I got two questions, hopefully someone can help me out.

1. When I'm doing chest, specifically using DBs, what the proper way to get the weight at the starting position. I have a hard time getting the weight up, but once I do, I can bang out 6reps easily. For instance today I did incline db press 70lbs, it was hard as hell to get the weight up, but once I did (trying for x6) I hit the 6 easily. Problem is I want to go up in weight but I feel like I won't be able to get it to the starting position!!

Any suggestions will help, thanks in advance.
    First of all, you're better off being cautious than acting like an idiot and thinking that "you got it". It's always better to be a bit cautious than sorry, you know?

To answer your first question, I personally like to take the weight from each side with both hands, and lean them on my knee, once they're up on my knee I'll go ahead and kick them up to my chest in the starting position, as previously stated by a few other users. Always remember though, if you still feel uncomfortable doing that, you can always grab a spotter for a second who could help you get the weight to your chest, there's nothing wrong with asking for help.

As far as the half reps. You really want to perform a full range of motion when you're working your chest. Going all the way down and pushing up with a squeeze on the way up will ensure maximum work is done and maximum gains will be inherited from the workout. And remember, as I stated before, if ever you're unsure about how many reps you can perform, just grab a quick spotter, anyone will be happy to help you.

Hope this helps...