Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    envisage will become famous soon enough. (+50) envisage will become famous soon enough. (+50) envisage will become famous soon enough. (+50) envisage will become famous soon enough. (+50) envisage will become famous soon enough. (+50) envisage will become famous soon enough. (+50) envisage will become famous soon enough. (+50) envisage will become famous soon enough. (+50) envisage will become famous soon enough. (+50) envisage will become famous soon enough. (+50) envisage will become famous soon enough. (+50)

|| The Road to Rio 2016 ||

I will attempt to update this journal regularly with my training. My goal is to race in the 400m or 800m (track&field) at the Olympics in Rio. It's a completely ridiculous goal because I have not been training as a runner, but as a high jumper for several years. I actually had a high jump training journal on these forums, but with injuries, I've had to give up on that dream. Explosive movements put too much pressure on my joints, even with countless injury prevention techniques/yoga, etc...

I've always thought that I have what it takes to compete with the best, but it just never came to be. I don't want to give up on my Olympic dreams, though. At the age of 21 now, I feel like I still have the time to accomplish this goal. I have some distance running under my belt from several years ago, plus I have some solid speed endurance from the jumps training that I've done over the years.

I've been looking up articles and discussions online for training advice. This thread in particular seems to contain very relevant information:
    http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_re...thread=2669719 [Sub 1:50 800m Training]

Lately, I've been tired with the monotony of every day life. I want to achieve something truly worthwhile, so I figure I'm going to give this a shot, no matter how ridiculous.
    __________________________________________________ _________

This month will consist of very light training, focusing on core work and injury prevention. I'll do some light lifting and biking. For the past few weeks/months, I have been very inconsistent with training after being forced to quit my college track team due to weak knees. I've worked hard for years, but maybe I've been over-doing it. I want this time to be different. A trip to the doctor's office may be on the list....

The journey begins tomorrow.

Any advice, questions, and support is welcomed! I'm willing to admit that I'm at least 50% insane, and this goal seems very unlikely, but I'd rather try and constantly daydream.

amarvgr2396 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) amarvgr2396 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) amarvgr2396 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) amarvgr2396 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) amarvgr2396 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) amarvgr2396 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    good luck bro

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    might as well try out for the NFL and the Justice League of America while you are at. Why dont you just try out for your local college track team and spare us the internet bravado? We get 5-10 posts each week just like yours, and they never come back.

amarvgr2396 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) amarvgr2396 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) amarvgr2396 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) amarvgr2396 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) amarvgr2396 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) amarvgr2396 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i do agree with DC though, why quit ur college team? You had to quit the team due to weak knees, but your knees arent weak for the Olympics? Join some team bro, only then can you go to the olympics

envisage will become famous soon enough. (+50) envisage will become famous soon enough. (+50) envisage will become famous soon enough. (+50) envisage will become famous soon enough. (+50) envisage will become famous soon enough. (+50) envisage will become famous soon enough. (+50) envisage will become famous soon enough. (+50) envisage will become famous soon enough. (+50) envisage will become famous soon enough. (+50) envisage will become famous soon enough. (+50) envisage will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by amarvgr2396 View Post
    i do agree with DC though, why quit ur college team? You had to quit the team due to weak knees, but your knees aren't weak for the Olympics? Join some team bro, only then can you go to the olympics
    I had to quit to take time off, since my 4 years are up. My coaches wouldn't let me just train with the runners now. I'm planning on joining a running club during the 2014-2015 seasons.

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    might as well try out for the NFL and the Justice League of America while you are at. Why dont you just try out for your local college track team and spare us the internet bravado? We get 5-10 posts each week just like yours, and they never come back.
    My years at college are almost up, so that's not happening. I know... I know it's the same old story, but I'll at least try to train up until December 2013, when I'll have my first meet. That gives me 7 months of training to see where I'm at (indoors)

ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I don't want to sound cynical or dickish, but I'm going to be straight and honest with you anyways.

Making Rio your goal is a terrible idea. Honestly, if you have to say "I want to make it to Rio" - at this phase of your life especially - for your motivation to train, you're looking for excuses. Don't do that.

I don't think you realize just how difficult it is to make it to the Olympics. Let's look at an example; qualifying to compete in the 400m at London. The Olympic B-standard in 2012 was 45.90 seconds. Meaning that's the minimum time you would need to run in the trials, unless no one in your country hit that standard. Now, let's factor in your location, the United States. The US is arguably the best nation in the world for track and field overall. The trials will likely have multiple people hitting the B-standard, meaning you'll need to hit the A-standard which for London was 45.30 seconds. And if there were multiple people who hit that standard in the finals, you would need to be in the top three in the entire country. Those standards are likely going to be either the same or lower, I would be very surprised if they were higher.

I hope that puts things into perspective for you. Olympians generally begin training for their events in high school or earlier. That puts you at least three or four years behind everyone else. If you want to make it to Rio, you'd either need to compete for another country who is weak in your events, have incredible natural ability, or use drugs.

I'm not trying to keep you from training; on the contrary, I encourage you to train. But you need a different and better goal. For example, set a goal to run under 50 seconds in the 400m. Depending on how fast you run now, that's a realistic goal that you can likely achieve, but will still need to train for.

Also, I'm interested in what your current times are. Get someone to handtime you and that'll give me an idea of where you're at. Join up with a club as soon as possible, though.

Good luck .

Originally Posted by ProdigalTimmeh View Post
    I don't want to sound cynical or dickish, but I'm going to be straight and honest with you anyways.

Making Rio your goal is a terrible idea. Honestly, if you have to say "I want to make it to Rio" - at this phase of your life especially - for your motivation to train, you're looking for excuses. Don't do that.

I don't think you realize just how difficult it is to make it to the Olympics. Let's look at an example; qualifying to compete in the 400m at London. The Olympic B-standard in 2012 was 45.90 seconds. Meaning that's the minimum time you would need to run in the trials, unless no one in your country hit that standard. Now, let's factor in your location, the United States. The US is arguably the best nation in the world for track and field overall. The trials will likely have multiple people hitting the B-standard, meaning you'll need to hit the A-standard which for London was 45.30 seconds. And if there were multiple people who hit that standard in the finals, you would need to be in the top three in the entire country. Those standards are likely going to be either the same or lower, I would be very surprised if they were higher.

I hope that puts things into perspective for you. Olympians generally begin training for their events in high school or earlier. That puts you at least three or four years behind everyone else. If you want to make it to Rio, you'd either need to compete for another country who is weak in your events, have incredible natural ability, or use drugs.

I'm not trying to keep you from training; on the contrary, I encourage you to train. But you need a different and better goal. For example, set a goal to run under 50 seconds in the 400m. Depending on how fast you run now, that's a realistic goal that you can likely achieve, but will still need to train for.

Also, I'm interested in what your current times are. Get someone to handtime you and that'll give me an idea of where you're at. Join up with a club as soon as possible, though.

Good luck .
    You're right, and I already know how difficult it is in the U.S.

You're right about the smaller goals, though. Here are my goals by the end of April 2014:
    400m: Sub 50 seconds
    800m: Sub 1:50

I realize that the 800m goal above is much tougher than the 400m, but these are my aims for the following year. I'll run a few meets indoors (around 3), and a few outdoors, planning to peak by end of April 2014.

I'm going to Portugal for vacation starting on August 12, so I'm planning that previous Saturday (Aug. 11th) to be a time trial date for the 400m and 800m. I'll see how training goes these next few months to plan out goals for that.

The title of the thread will remain the same, but I'll aim for smaller goals each week/month as opposed to constantly daydreaming of the Olympics.
    Thanks for the input, though!

5/2/2013
    Warm Up/Dynamic Stretches

Injury Prevention/Supplemental Exercises2 SETS
    -Side Leg Lifts x 30 each leg
    -Wall Squats w/ 12lb Medball x 1 min
    -Hip Lift x 20 each leg
    -Lateral Step Up w/ Knee Drive x 12 each leg

CORE/supplemental
    -Front Plank Hold 2 x 2 min
    -Russian Twist x 1 min
    -Lunges w/ MedBall Overhead 2 x 1 min
    -Stability Ball Hamstring Curls 2 x 15 each leg
    -Skyward Toe Touches 2 x 20 each foot

YOGA/Stretches
    -Dragon Pose Variation
    -Side Twists
    -Quad Stretch 2 x :30sec each

PM:
    -Did some extra core/stretching
    Last edited by envisage; 05-03-2013 at 12:11 PM.

KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good luck! Let them haters hate!
    Pokemon X and Y crew FC: 5215-0470-3034 (X)

Originally Posted by KidAlchemy View Post
    Good luck! Let them haters hate!
    Thanks! Some of them mean well... it is ridiculous to think I can make the Olympics, but only crazy people attempt to. I really just want to push myself to see my full potential because I've worked hard in the past.... very hard, but I still think I could have done more, smarter training.

There aren't any great running clubs around here less than an hour away, and I don't have the time to be driving around too much this summer with all of the projects and training I want to do. A buddy of mine is very knowledgeable on the jumps events, and I'll do some sprint workouts with him. Plus, I can link up with some of my former teammates who have competed in these events.

AM:
    -45 mins. of Yoga/stretching
    --- Focus on shoulders/hips

PM:
    Warm Up/Dynamic Stretching

-Paleo Chair x 10 mins.

-Clamshells w/ band 2x15 each leg
    -Donkey/dog/straight kick outs 2x20 each/leg
    -Standing Side Kick (1 sec up, 3 sec down) 2x15 each leg
    -Supermans 2x30

-Sidestep w/ band x12 each leg
    -Bird dogs x20 total
    -Extra 5 mins. Paleo Chair

I may add some stuff later tonight. This whole month will be an ease into things, as I try to iron out imbalances and whatnot.

China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    How about focusing on the oly trials??? I know some great runners whose life goal was just making it to the trials, they new they had no chance of winning but getting to the trials with the b standard may be doable.

Hate to bash people's goals but you weren't traine as a sprinter, you are 21, I don't know man.....

Originally Posted by China505 View Post
    How about focusing on the oly trials??? I know some great runners whose life goal was just making it to the trials, they new they had no chance of winning but getting to the trials with the b standard may be doable.

Hate to bash people's goals but you weren't traine as a sprinter, you are 21, I don't know man.....
    Oly Trials are before the Olympics, obviously. But, right now the goals are sub 50 400m and sub 1:50 800m by May 2014. So I have a year to do this.

Didn't do anything yesterday, but today I did a few pistol squats/ab exercises.

Also did 10x~75m STRIDES on the grass/barefoot. Knees are feeling good.
    Tomorrow or Tuesday, I will be easing back into the weights.

*Sigh*

I've been busy for the past few days (finishing up Final Exams). I will be done with my last one tomorrow, so I can finally put a little more effort into my training (getting a gym membership on Saturday).

For the past few days, I've kept up with stretches/yoga and exercises that focus on hip mobility. I also ran on the sand @ the beach today. I want to reach that "ZEN" state of mind where my body is on autopilot and my mind isn't a crutch.
    I'll keep this thread much more updated within the next few weeks.

Finally got gym membership today. It was a nice first session to get back in the swing of things.

Lateral Raises
    -3x10 (out/forward) @10lbs each hand
    Squats
    -3x10 @105, @110, @115

---------

DB Bench Pressincreasing incline +1 each set
    -3x10 @35lbs each hand
    Barbell Lunges
    -3x10 @ 65lbs

---------

Barbell Toe Raises
    -2x12 @65lbs

---------

Physio Ball Single Leg Hamstring Curls
    -2x10 each leg

Tried some dips, but my left shoulder has been "popping". I feel no pain in the shoulder, but the popping feeling still worries me.

This was my first day lifting in maybe 1 month. I'm starting verrrryy light, and paying much more attention to form than I ever have. The lunges felt great.

Few hours later.....

-10 mins. Paleo Chair
    -35 mins. of stretching (hips, quads, hamstrings, shoulders)
    Last edited by envisage; 05-13-2013 at 04:17 PM.

5/14/2013

AM:
    Warm Up/5 minute Run (barefoot on grass)

-15 mins. CORE (combination of plank holds, pushup holds, toe touches, Russian twists, bicycle abs, etc...)

-10 mins. cool down run (barefoot/grass)
    -5 x 70m strides (barefoot/grass)

-STRETCHES

PM:

30 mins. of Back/Shoulder Stretches
    Last edited by envisage; 05-14-2013 at 05:13 PM.

5/15/2013

AM:
    GYM

-10 mins. Stationary Bike Warm Up
    -Supplemental Shoulder exercises (w/ 5lb weight)

-4x10 SL DL @95, @105, @115, @125
    -3x10 DB Overhead Press @25 each hand, @30, @30
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

-3x11 DB Rows @35, @40, @40
    -3x12 Seated Toe Raises @70, @70, @70

-1x8 Chinups, 2x5 Chinups
    -3x12 Physio Ball Hamstring Curls

STRETCH

PM:
    30 mins. balancing yoga poses
    Last edited by envisage; 05-15-2013 at 03:04 PM.

Since I don't know how to change the title of this thread, let's just say that this is the SUB 50/SUB 1:50 (400m/800m) THREAD [to be reached by May 2014].

5/16/13
    -30 mins. hip exercises (including paleo chair, donkey/dog/straight, leg raises, hurdle drills...)

PM:
    -30 mins. YOGA (hips/hamstrings/shoulders)

Tomorrow will be a nice lifting/core session, and I'll start running on Saturday if all goes as planned.

5/17/13

AM:
    GYM

10 mins. Stationary Bike

-4x10 Front Squat @75, 95, 105, 115
    -3x10 DB Chest Flies @25lbs each hand
    - - - - - - - -

-3x8 Hang Clean to Push Press @75, 85, 95
    -3x10 Lateral Raises @10lbs each hand
    - - - - - - - -

-2x15 Toe Raises (forward/inward) @70
    -2x10 BW Pushups
    - - - - - - - -

-2x12 Double Leg Physio Ball Hamstring Curls
    -2 x :30s PSOAS stretch each leg
    - - - - - - - -

STRETCH

PM:
    20 mins. Plank variations
    Last edited by envisage; 05-18-2013 at 12:19 PM.

5/18/2013

AM:
    -Running/walking lunges ~25 mins.
    -STRETCHING

PM:
    -15 min. run
    -STRETCH

My knees feel great as of now. The next two weeks will be a continuation of the build up stage. Getting to around 15 miles/week by next Sunday, and around 20 miles/week by June 2nd.
    Last edited by envisage; 05-18-2013 at 04:26 PM.

TWO TIME MOD NEG SURVIVOR RunDRL's Avatar
    RunDRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunDRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunDRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunDRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunDRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunDRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunDRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunDRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunDRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunDRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunDRL is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Keep up the good work man...800m is a bery tough race, so you gotta work hard.

Also, one you get running I'd suggest swimming for active recovery. Very light on the knees and I know a lot of 800 runners like Nick Symmonds incorporate it.

Buckingbuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Buckingbuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Buckingbuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Buckingbuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Buckingbuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Buckingbuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Buckingbuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Buckingbuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Buckingbuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Buckingbuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Buckingbuck will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    for some reason i really like to read about big goals like yours, and it's even better when people hit those goals.
    don't disappoint us op
    good luck
    I rep back everybody.

Originally Posted by RunDRL View Post
    Keep up the good work man...800m is a bery tough race, so you gotta work hard.

Also, one you get running I'd suggest swimming for active recovery. Very light on the knees and I know a lot of 800 runners like Nick Symmonds incorporate it.
    If I can get access to a pool, I'd love to do some swimming exercises. Nick Symmonds is legit. That 800m final in London is maybe the greatest race of all time, or at least top 5.

Originally Posted by Buckingbuck View Post
    for some reason i really like to read about big goals like yours, and it's even better when people hit those goals.
    don't disappoint us op
    good luck
    Thanks, man. Posts like "don't disappoint us" really fire me up. I don't want to disappoint myself, my family, or others supporting me. I won't have my first indoor meet until early December, but I'll keep posting here with my training and any Time Trials I do.

5/19/2013

AM:
    -60 mins. Biking
    -15 mins. hip drills (donkey/dog/straight) + STRETCHING

5/20/2013

AM:
    GYM

-10 mins. Stationary Bike

-Lateral Raises (forward/side/bent) 3x10 @12.5lbs each hand
    -Back Squats 4x10 @95, 115, 125, 135
    - - - - - - - - - -

-DB Bench Press 3x10 @40lbs each hand
    -Barbell Lunges 3x10 @75, 75, 80
    - - - - - - - - - -

-Chest Flies (machine) 3x10 @90lbs
    - - - - - - - - - -

-Toe Raises (forward/inward/outward) 3x12 @70

STRETCH

PM:

-10 mins. Paleo Chair
    -Side leg raises (while laying on floor) 1x20 each leg

-Ab Ripper X (P90x -- 15 mins)
    Last edited by envisage; 05-20-2013 at 05:10 PM.

5/21/2013

AM:

- 1.5 mile run (8 min. mile pace)

PM:

-20 min. Treadmill Run [it's thundering/raining out, and I pussed out)

My legs are feeling good. I want to do more, but I have enough experience to know not to push it too soon. Doing two easy track workouts next week, and then June and July will get more interesting...

5/22/2013

AM (gym):

I always do some stationary biking/pushups (or other basic upper body exercises) to warm up, so I won't post that all the time. I also foam roll before exercise, and sometimes after.

-4x10 Sumo DL @115, 125, 135, 145
    -3x10 Hammer Curls @30, 30, 30
    - - - - - -

-3x10 DB single leg DL @35, 35, 35
    -3x10 DB OH Press @25, 30, 35
    - - - - - -

-3x10 DB Rows @40, 40, 45
    -2x10 Bench Hamstring Raises
    - - - - - -

1x Max Chinups
    1x Max Pullups

STRETCH