BigPapi23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

BigPapi's Quest to the Top

Hey guys! I've decided to start a little blog tracking my progress. Just a little background story first:

When I graduted college in May 2011, I moved back home. I knew I was out of shape. I knew I had been eating horribly and been completely inactive. I had gone through phases of weight gain and weight loss before. But the highest I had ever been was 232 back in late 2006. I lost my mom that year to cancer and responded by eating nonstop. Anyway, when I got home, my family and friends mentioned that I looked "big." Not even with direct comments. I could feel the lack of respect and attention I used to command in a room. I hopped on a scale and was shocked. It said "254." I thought for CERTAIN it was broken. Not so. I tried a scale at the gym and it said the same.

I was overwhelmed by this and struggled to get it off. I managed to drop about 10 pounds at home, but couldn't drop anymore. Last year in February 2012, I moved to NYC to pursue my dream of being an actor. I lost weight initially just due to the difference in lifestyle. I regularly walk at least 3-4 miles a day and then several more when I work (as a server in Times Square). But soon enough, depression hit again and I managed to learn how to outeat my more active lifestyle.

In mid-january of this year, I decided to get serious. I read JasonDB and Josef Ravich's posts about "calories" and it made too much sense for me not to follow. I had no gym membership, I just decided that I was going to workout at home on occassion, and just eat LESS. I have lost 14lbs since then! And I just now have gotten back into the gym.

My goal is to continue to drop weight but while increasing my strength. I am keeping my calories at 2,350 and lifting 3x a week, focusing on the big compound lifts. I started my first week at this:

Week 1

Bench - 3x5 - 160lbs (Goal: 3x5 180lbs by June 1st)
    Squat - 3x5 - 155lbs (Goal: 3x5 180lbs by June 1st)
    Deadlift - 3x5 - 205lbs (Goal: 300lbs by June 1st)

Week 2

Bench - 3x5 - 165lbs

I am starting low. I expect my deadlift to go way up fast. Bench is tough for me as I have shoulder issues. Squatting is tough because my core just isn't used to it. It'll come though! My next workout is going to be Back, which I'll do on Monday. I'll post my routine in a separate post below.
    Last edited by BigPapi23; 03-22-2013 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Wrong Lift Numbers

Routine: 3 days a week: Push, Pull, Legs

Day 1 - Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps

3x5 Bench Press (With 2 warm-up sets)
    2x5 Incline Bench Press
    2x5 Military Press
    2x6 Overhead Tricep Extension
    2x8 Shoulder Raises

Day 2 - Back & Biceps

3x5 Deadlifts
    3x6 Lateral Pull-downs
    2x6 - One Arm Dumbbell Rows
    2x6 - Lawnmowers
    3x6 - Standing In-and-Out Bicep Curls

Day 3 - Legs & Abs

3x5 Squats
    3x15 Calf Raises
    2x8 Leg Extensions
    2x8 Leg Curls
    2x15 Weighted Decline Sit-ups

Running on 2,350 calories a day. I will evaluate at the end of each week to decide if I should trickle in a few more calories, but I am trying to drop more weight. My goal is 215lbs by May 1st.

Today was back day. Ramped up on deadlift 20lbs with very little difficulty. I am starting low to make sure my form stays solid. I weighed in a couple lbs heavier today, which baffles me. I track my calories and I'm not sure why but my weight loss has totally stalled lately. I am not going to worry about it as long as my lifts keep going up.

Week 2

Bench 3x5 165lbs
    Deadlift 3x5 225lbs

Banged out legs yesterday. I managed to ramp up my squat by ten pounds. I feel a lot better about my form both on squatting and deadlifting. Neither of the weights feel particularly difficult at this point. Squatting more so but it's my core that makes things tough. I feel like my legs could handle much more. Already pretty happy to be increasing my numbers!

Week 2

Bench 3x5 165lbs
    Deadlift 3x5 225lbs
    Squats 3x5 165lbs

Workouts have been sporadic but I've been getting them in every week. Did 170 on bench and stalled on the fourth rep of the 3rd set. I think I was sacrificing form a bit before that too. I was really lethargic going into the gym though, so I am going to stick with 170 next time I expect to get it. If not, I'll reset to 165, no biggie.

Deadlifted 240lbs for 3x5. Starting to wear away at my hands, might be time to get some gloves. Felt really good today.

Week 3

Bench 3x5 170 (stalled on 3rd set)
    Deadlift 3x5 240lbs
    Squat (tomorrow going for 170lbs)

Finally got my leg day in today. I'll be looking at 4 day week this week to catch up.

I nailed my goal of 3x5 @ 170lbs on the squat.

My weight has plateued at 225lbs but I know my diet has been a little erratic. Gonna tighten it up here. It would be great to get below 220lbs.

Week 3 Lifts

Bench 3x5 @ 170lbs (Stalled on 4th rep, 3rd set)
    Deadlift 3x5 @ 240lbs
    Squat 3x5 @ 170lbs

Missed a day of updating. I again stalled on bench. I am going to reset, possibly down to 160. I do have shoulder issues and I feel like I may be straining myself a bit too much. I managed to tack on another 5lbs to the deadlift with little effort. I also ran a lifetime best 6:34 mile yesterday. I definitely feel like I am getting in shape, but my weight has mysteriously been creeping up lately. Not sure why that is, I look as good as I ever have. No worries then, I suppose.

Week 4 Lifts

Bench 3x5 @170lbs (Stalled, going to reset)
    Deadlift 3x5 @ 245lbs (Like a boss.)
    Cutting Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=161141603&pagenumber=

Start: 8/25/2014 - 213lbs

Current 1-Rep Maxes (Estimated)

Bench: 191lbs
    Squat: 247lbs
    Deadlift: 309lbs

Total: 747lbs