Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    stoomc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by JasonDB View Post
    Yes I do full body and spend about 10 hours per week in the weight room myself. However I am an advanced lifter with a high workload tolerance.

As far as making determinations for people not resistence training when dieting it is more difficult because they are intentionally goingout of their way to avoid doing what is optimal already. Meaning all available data suggests to us that anyone in a caloric deficit who doesn't do resistance training will lose muscle mass at a much faster rate than anyone who is... which means on the same deficit they will lose less fat and their metabolism will slow down faster no matter what macronutrient breakdown they prefer.
    Oh, I completely agree that they need to get there backside into the weights room and I am working on it!
    Just to clarify though- is it still ok for them to be taking in 150g carbs when not working out or would this be too much? I guess either way as long as they are in a deficit it won't really matter after they have got there protein and fats??

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by stoomc View Post
    Oh, I completely agree that they need to get there backside into the weights room and I am working on it!
    Just to clarify though- is it still ok for them to be taking in 150g carbs when not working out or would this be too much? I guess either way as long as they are in a deficit it won't really matter after they have got there protein and fats??
    It will not matter. Carbs are not in any way inheriently fattening so one should never be afraid of filling remaining calories with them. We could argue that dietary fat has more direct pathways and can be stored as body fat at a slightly more effecient rate.

stoomc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks again Jason.

ronaldinho92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronaldinho92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronaldinho92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronaldinho92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronaldinho92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronaldinho92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronaldinho92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronaldinho92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronaldinho92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronaldinho92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronaldinho92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Currently I'm on SS and will start to do a calorie deficit since that wat most people told me in here
    Do u think SS is effective for losing weight put in mind that its only 3 days a week and only 3 exercises
    So plz put me on the right track
    Pics

Front
    imageupload.org/en/file/243165/al-omrania-20121113-00022.jpg.html

Side
    imageupload.org/en/file/243171/al-omrania-20121113-00023.jpg.html

JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ronaldinho92 View Post
    Currently I'm on SS and will start to do a calorie deficit since that wat most people told me in here
    Do u think SS is effective for losing weight put in mind that its only 3 days a week and only 3 exercises
    So plz put me on the right track
    Pics

Front
    imageupload.org/en/file/243165/al-omrania-20121113-00022.jpg.html

Side
    imageupload.org/en/file/243171/al-omrania-20121113-00023.jpg.html
    Any heavy barbell routine is useful for weight loss because weight training's purpose is to speed up, or at least preserve, metabolism and retain lean body mass when in a caloric deficit, so unless you carry a fair amount of muscle mass this program can get the job done. I would add some arm work however as it doesn't give enough arm stimulation in general and I can't promise that they will not strink on a cut with this program. The purpose of your weight training is not to create a deficit it is preservation of muscle and metabolism. You need less training volume on a cut than you do to gain muscle mass optimally on a bulk.

ronaldinho92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronaldinho92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronaldinho92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronaldinho92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronaldinho92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronaldinho92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronaldinho92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronaldinho92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronaldinho92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronaldinho92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronaldinho92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Any heavy barbell routine is useful for weight loss because weight training's purpose is to speed up, or at least preserve, metabolism and retain lean body mass when in a caloric deficit, so unless you carry a fair amount of muscle mass this program can get the job done. I would add some arm work however as it doesn't give enough arm stimulation in general and I can't promise that they will not strink on a cut with this program. The purpose of your weight training is not to create a deficit it is preservation of muscle and metabolism. You need less training volume on a cut than you do to gain muscle mass optimally on a bulk.
    So wat exactly should I do right now ? I'm confused

ivxenz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ivxenz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ivxenz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ivxenz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ivxenz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ivxenz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ivxenz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ivxenz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ivxenz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ivxenz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ivxenz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey i am 27, 85kg 25% bf.

you had told me i should up my caloric intake to somewhere around 2,300 calories which is about 10% below maintenance for a week or so because I was facing issues with a slowing down of my metabolism and stalling on weight loss. I have been eating just below or at maintenance for about 10-11 days now and was only doing 3hours of gym work a week without any cardio.

My weight has stayed steady during this 10-11 days but the variance on the scale has shifted more towards 85.5 rather than staying around 84.5-85 so if anything i might have gained the slightest bit of weight.

My metabolism seems to be back on normal and I realize now I need to eat more fats and a bit more proteins. I am planning on reducing my calories to like 2,100 now.

What is a good way to measure fat loss? I have so little muscle on my frame that even in a caloric deficit i have gained strength so when I look at the scale and it is stalling on a number I am confused if there was fat loss but it was compensated by a gain in lean mass? Should I just be measuring my waistline everyday rather than weighing myself?

Originally Posted by ronaldinho92 View Post
    So wat exactly should I do right now ? I'm confused
    I'm confused that you are confused regarding my reply. Please explain what you do not understand.

Originally Posted by ivxenz View Post
    hey i am 27, 85kg 25% bf.

you had told me i should up my caloric intake to somewhere around 2,300 calories which is about 10% below maintenance for a week or so because I was facing issues with a slowing down of my metabolism and stalling on weight loss. I have been eating just below or at maintenance for about 10-11 days now and was only doing 3hours of gym work a week without any cardio. As far as having repaired a slowed metabolism you have not even hit maintence yet, you are still in a deficit... it isn't repaired and will not be completely back to normal until you are at a small surplus at some point.

My weight has stayed steady during this 10-11 days but the variance on the scale has shifted more towards 85.5 rather than staying around 84.5-85 so if anything i might have gained the slightest bit of weight.

My metabolism seems to be back on normal and I realize now I need to eat more fats and a bit more proteins. I am planning on reducing my calories to like 2,100 now.

What is a good way to measure fat loss? I have so little muscle on my frame that even in a caloric deficit i have gained strength so when I look at the scale and it is stalling on a number I am confused if there was fat loss but it was compensated by a gain in lean mass? Should I just be measuring my waistline everyday rather than weighing myself?
    2 weeks minimum to adjust hormone levels. I made the perfectly clear in the video on diet resets. 11 days is less than the minimum number of 14 and I am not saying 14 is even ideal only that it is the minimum to ensure metabolic repair. Your weight gain should not be a surprise you are heavily depleted so you will still gain even more water weight back at full maintence. Not all weight lost on a cut is tissue weight.

The only good way to measure fat loss perfectly would be a DEXA scan every week. For those of us not very wealthy the scale, the tape and the mirror are your best tools. If you have a person who can give you honest assessments of your changes in person that can be useful also. However in reality just observing everything honestly, tracking changes on the scale and in the mirror accurately are the best tools you have available. If your body image will not allow for you to do this without an emotional attachment that will bias your observations you'll have to hire a professional locally to assist you if it is that important to you. However generally speaking if the scale is going down and you are maintaining strength in the gym its a fair assessment that you are not losing muscle so most of the weight lost will be fat with some water.
    Last edited by JasonDB; 11-15-2012 at 12:09 AM.

ivxenz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ivxenz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ivxenz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ivxenz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ivxenz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ivxenz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ivxenz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ivxenz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ivxenz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ivxenz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ivxenz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks for that info jason.

I do the following routine 3x a week. I have begun to finish it in 40 minutes and except for my arms I feel I have enough energy to add one or two more exercises. What would you recommend? I do the following:

Bench press
    Deadlift
    Squats w/ DBs
    Calf Raises
    Overhead Press
    DB Curls
    Abs 100 reps 50 upper, 50 lower (basically crunches and sit ups and leg raises)

again i am 27, 85kg 25% bf and relatively new to lifting

Originally Posted by ivxenz View Post
    thanks for that info jason.

I do the following routine 3x a week. I have begun to finish it in 40 minutes and except for my arms I feel I have enough energy to add one or two more exercises. What would you recommend? I do the following:

Bench press
    Deadlift
    Squats w/ DBs
    Calf Raises
    Overhead Press
    DB Curls
    Abs 100 reps 50 upper, 50 lower (basically crunches and sit ups and leg raises)

again i am 27, 85kg 25% bf and relatively new to lifting
    Your routine needs more lat work and some tricep work. Barbell rows and skullcrushers.

forexworld12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) forexworld12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) forexworld12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) forexworld12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) forexworld12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) forexworld12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) forexworld12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Sir I am in need of your help. I am 17 year old, 5'7, 187lbs (85 kg) guy. in the past 6 months I consumed a lot of rich oily food and chesee burgers (Someone told me i consume 1500 calories daily) Now I have gained extreme fat and my girl friend left me because of that and I look like a pregnant woman due to my large large belly coming out there are exessive fat's on both left and right side of my stomach and i have man boobs. now could you tell me extremely hardcore diet plan and excerises that will turn me into ripped figure in 3-4 months like of daniel craig's lean body or that of kris gethin.(I can't go to the gym) I am thinking of consuming 2 egg white's and 3 apples 3 times a day only do 2 sets of ab crushes daily, please give me some advice on what should i eat? boiled vegetables ? anything i want extremely hardcore fat loss sir !!
    Last edited by forexworld12; 11-15-2012 at 10:25 AM.

Originally Posted by forexworld12 View Post
    Sir I am in need of your help. I am 17 year old, 5'7, 187lbs (85 kg) guy. in the past 6 months I consumed a lot of rich oily food and chesee burgers (Someone told me i consume 1500 calories daily) Now I have gained extreme fat and my girl friend left me because of that and I look like a pregnant woman due to my large large belly coming out there are exessive fat's on both left and right side of my stomach and i have man boobs. now could you tell me extremely hardcore diet plan and excerises that will turn me into ripped figure in 3-4 months like of daniel craig's lean body or that of kris gethin.(I can't go to the gym) I am thinking of consuming 2 egg white's and 3 apples 3 times a day only do 2 sets of ab crushes daily, please give me some advice on what should i eat? boiled vegetables ? anything i want extremely hardcore fat loss sir !!
    It is biologically impossible for you to get ripped int aht time frame from where you are now, furthermore not having access to weights and a gym is going to leave you a terrible physique after dieting down but for overall health you should go ahead and do so in the mean time.

Read the stickies in the nutrition forum and calculate your calorie and macronutrient needs. I don't advocate meal plans or people consuming the same foods every day.

robinsean7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robinsean7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robinsean7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robinsean7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robinsean7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robinsean7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robinsean7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robinsean7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robinsean7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robinsean7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robinsean7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Am I ready to Cut? Photo included

In your opinion from this picture alone, if I were to cut right now would I wind up Looking Scrawny, or look lean and ripped.

I guess Im asking if you think i have enough muscle at the moment to justify a cut??

Thanks!
    Attached Images

Originally Posted by robinsean7 View Post
    In your opinion from this picture alone, if I were to cut right now would I wind up Looking Scrawny, or look lean and ripped.

I guess Im asking if you think i have enough muscle at the moment to justify a cut??

Thanks!
    I could go either direction with you regarding a clean bulk vs a cut. It depends on where you want to be with your physique in the near future. You have enough muscle to look good post-cut but you are just lean enough to get away with a good c/lean bulk if you wanted to do so.

robinsean7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robinsean7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robinsean7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robinsean7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robinsean7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robinsean7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robinsean7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robinsean7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robinsean7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robinsean7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robinsean7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I could go either direction with you regarding a clean bulk vs a cut. It depends on where you want to be with your physique in the near future. You have enough muscle to look good post-cut but you are just lean enough to get away with a good c/lean bulk if you wanted to do so.
    Thanks a lot for the advice much appreciated.

My bulk has been pretty clean allowing me to keep extra fat off for the most part. I live on the beach so i was thinking a major cut for Feb then slow clean bulk through spring and summer to stay lean. Just wanted some more opinions. I have never done a cut before so i don't really know for sure how much muscle I actually have, also pretty eager and excited to do it.

Registered User SpartanSuperstar's Avatar
    SpartanSuperstar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Jason,

Hoping you can help with something thats been bugging me.

Ok so we agree that if you're getting enough protein and fat then the types of food you consume (e.g. ice-cream versus salad) and meal timing (e.g. 6 meals versus 2 meals) doesn't matter when it comes to weight loss and body composition.

Lets say a person starts at 85kg and 15% body fat.

Goes on 20% less than TDEE and cuts.

He cuts and goes down to 75kg and 11% body fat.

Time for a bulk so he goes on 20% more than TDEE and bulks. Same macros breakdown/percentages as on his cut (i.e. same type of 'diet') but simply TDEE + 20% instead of TDEE - 20% on his cut.

All things being equal won't he just end back up at 85kg and 15% body fat?

If we agree that the types of food and meal timing doesn't influence body composition then how does the subject influence his body composition?

Hope this made sense, its been somthing thats been puzzling me for awhile on the concept of IIFYM and your videos.

Cheers

SS
    Last edited by SpartanSuperstar; 11-15-2012 at 09:33 PM.

wenjoefong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Jason,

Here is Wen from Hong Kong!!
    I'm quite frustrated now, and really need some directions from you

I'm 26yrs old, Female, 162cm weight 59KG now... A year ago I was only 50kgs and.....I gained lots of weight due to massive workload (too much clients dinners) and lack of exercise,

Since the massive amount of weight gained...I really can't stand those giggling thighs and arms, so I decided to make a change...I committed to a 12 weeks workout program

I've been following a serious workout program (Weight 4days+ 40mins cardio 7days/week) for 7weeks...I really lifted heavy and worked my butt off.....
    My diet is clean and low fat, high protein, around 1300~1500 cal/day...(I used the calculate tool u provide which showed my Maintenance is 2282 CALORIES/DAY !!??)
    Also I'm not sedentary, I always on my feet, running around to meet clients...I walks a lots, I got steps counter apps and I walks around 7K-10K steps everyday

BUT I gained 4kgs since I started the program!! And the measurements didn't change at all.....!! But I notices that I gained some muscle on my upper body, and more toned, I know it might be muscle gained...but my goals is to shred fat...
    So if fat loss just simple as creating calorie deficit, I should already lost lots of fat already....!!??
    Why I've been gaining weight instead of losing weight???

I'm really confusing and frustrated, pls help!! THANKS!
    Last edited by wenjoefong; 11-15-2012 at 09:18 PM.

Originally Posted by SpartanSuperstar View Post
    Hi Jason,

Hoping you can help with something thats been bugging me.

Ok so we agree that if you're getting enough protein and fat then the types of food you consume (e.g. ice-cream versus salad) and meal timing (e.g. 6 meals versus 2 meals) doesn't matter when it comes to weight loss and body composition.

Lets say a person starts at 85kg and 15% body fat.

Goes on 20% less than TDEE and cuts.

He cuts and goes down to 75kg and 11% body fat.

Time for a bulk so he goes on 20% more than TDEE and bulks. Same macros breakdown/percentages as on his cut (i.e. same type of 'diet') but simply TDEE + 20% instead of TDEE - 20% on his cut.

All things being equal won't he just end back up at 85kg and 15% body fat?

If we agree that the types of food and meal timing doesn't influence body composition then how does the subject influence his body composition?

Hope this made sense, its been somthing thats been puzzling me for awhile on the concept of IIFYM and your videos.

Cheers

SS
    You influence body composition by progressive workload in the gym. Someone with less than one year of consistent training experience can put on 10 kg, or close to it, of muscle in their first year of training on an optimal program.

If you are gaining weight you are in a caloric suprlus, pure and simple.

Originally Posted by wenjoefong View Post
    Hi Jason,

Here is Wen from Hong Kong!!
    I'm quite frustrated now, and really need some directions from you

I'm 26yrs old, Female, 162cm weight 59KG now... A year ago I was only 50kgs and.....I gained lots of weight due to massive workload (too much clients dinners) and lack of exercise,

Since the massive amount of weight gained...I really can't stand those giggling thighs and arms, so I decided to make a change...I committed to a 12 weeks workout program

I've been following a serious workout program (Weight 4days+ 40mins cardio 7days/week) for 7weeks...I really lifted heavy and worked my butt off.....
    My diet is clean and low fat, high protein, around 1300~1500 cal/day...(I used the calculate tool u provide which showed my Maintenance is 2282 CALORIES/DAY !!??)
    Also I'm not sedentary, I always on my feet, running around to meet clients...I walks a lots, I got steps counter apps and I walks around 7K-10K steps everyday

BUT I gained 4kgs since I started the program!! And the measurements didn't change at all.....!! But I notices that I gained some muscle on my upper body, and more toned, I know it might be muscle gained...but my goals is to shred fat...
    So if fat loss just simple as creating calorie deficit, I should already lost lots of fat already....!!??
    Why I've been gaining weight instead of losing weight???

I'm really confusing and frustrated, pls help!! THANKS!
    Interesting. How sure are you of your caloric intake of 1500 calories a day? Meaning I see this a lot, people estimte too much instead of careful measure and you probably are consuming a surplus (I've seen people not weight or measure foods and just hope to get it right or take the calories for cooked rice per volume and use it for the dry uncooked volume and eat twice the rice calories they think they are eating etc) On the other hand given that you seem to be gaining purely muscle in a relatively short time your maintance will go up fairly quickly the weight gain will stall and may start slowing burning the fat off anyway, particularly as you are fairly new to intense training you may start to see some serious recomposition on such an aggressie program.

Registered User SpartanSuperstar's Avatar
    SpartanSuperstar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You influence body composition by progressive workload in the gym. Someone with less than one year of consistent training experience can put on 10 kg, or close to it, of muscle in their first year of training on an optimal program.

Agree and understand about losing/gaining weight when in calories deficit/surplus. The question was more around influencing body composition as opposed to actual weight perse.

As I mentioned earlier I've been on again off again in recent years but have started to hit it hard and disciplined over the last 5 weeks. I've cut from 86kg down to a current 78kg but still can't see my lower abs so the next goal is 75kg. However once I'm lean enough I'd like to start bulking back into the 80s but still remain lean (acknowledging that I will gain some fat when bulking, just don't want to gain back all the fat I'm currently losing if that makes sense).

What I've taken from your response is keep at a calorie deficit to lose the weight (taking in enough protein and fats) and concentrate on my training program to influence my body composition both now in the cut and when I eventually bulk again.

Originally Posted by SpartanSuperstar View Post

What I've taken from your response is keep at a calorie deficit to lose the weight (taking in enough protein and fats) and concentrate on my training program to influence my body composition both now in the cut and when I eventually bulk again.
    That is an accurate summery of it. :-)

wenjoefong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Interesting. How sure are you of your caloric intake of 1500 calories a day? Meaning I see this a lot, people estimte too much instead of careful measure and you probably are consuming a surplus (I've seen people not weight or measure foods and just hope to get it right or take the calories for cooked rice per volume and use it for the dry uncooked volume and eat twice the rice calories they think they are eating etc) On the other hand given that you seem to be gaining purely muscle in a relatively short time your maintance will go up fairly quickly the weight gain will stall and may start slowing burning the fat off anyway, particularly as you are fairly new to intense training you may start to see some serious recomposition on such an aggressie program.

usually I planned my meals and cook/prepare by myself..
    actually almost eating the same thing everyday, but I will cheat on my diet ....not very often thoug, maybe once every 2weeks, I will crave for sweet and desert, then i will go for a piece of cookie

I know what u means....(I use uncooked volume btw....)
    I'm so obsessed that I weighted and wrote down everything I eaten....
    also use apps like calories counter and fitnesspal to track my calories intake, make sure that I'm not eating too much!

yes, I never work that hard! I use to be a cardio junkie, but not lifting weight...so this is my first time to commit with a weight training program. (I'm following Kris Gethin 12weeks program)

Well...I'm still training everyday, I don't wanna give up, but at the same time I'm frustrated with the result
    Last edited by wenjoefong; 11-16-2012 at 01:15 AM.

jackdempsey21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hi jason noob here. i am a 43 yr old male 5ft 7" 222lbs: having been on the keto diet and had some success both losing weight and trimming down my waist etc. i have decided to give your diet a go. i have been working out at the gym for about 4 months and have a pretty good routine so i will carry on with that. BUT my question is that on the macro calculator(on this website) it says calories:3108 per day, protein: 2719 per day, carbs: 349 per day, fats: 69g per day. this all sounds a bit much i.m.o? i was thinking more like 2300 kcals? 200g of protein? and 50g fats? as stated earlier i go to the gym at least 3 times a week and my goal is to ultimately lose all my body fat. what's your thoughts on the macro calulations from my stats? cheers J.D

Originally Posted by jackdempsey21 View Post
    hi jason noob here. i am a 43 yr old male 5ft 7" 222lbs: having been on the keto diet and had some success both losing weight and trimming down my waist etc. i have decided to give your diet a go. i have been working out at the gym for about 4 months and have a pretty good routine so i will carry on with that. BUT my question is that on the macro calculator(on this website) it says calories:3108 per day, protein: 2719 per day, carbs: 349 per day, fats: 69g per day. this all sounds a bit much i.m.o? i was thinking more like 2300 kcals? 200g of protein? and 50g fats? as stated earlier i go to the gym at least 3 times a week and my goal is to ultimately lose all my body fat. what's your thoughts on the macro calulations from my stats? cheers J.D
    You can drop that 2719 to 220g of protien (messing with you I know it was a typo). There is no need to drop it to 2300 so fast. Start at 20% under the recommended TDEE and assess changes from there. People get in too big of a hurry to lose fat without a good reason to do so (like a competative event or photo shoot) and it rarely ends as they intend.

jackdempsey21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    *271* DOH! haha.. so 220g of protein. 2500 calories and keep fat at 69g? carbs at 349? (can't get my head around that one) also what about bread? do you have white,brown seeded etc etc or none at all? some say stay away from bread others say its fine. what's your take on it? cheers J.D

Originally Posted by jackdempsey21 View Post
    *271* DOH! haha.. so 220g of protein. 2500 calories and keep fat at 69g? carbs at 349? (can't get my head around that one) also what about bread? do you have white,brown seeded etc etc or none at all? some say stay away from bread others say its fine. what's your take on it? cheers J.D
    As long as total fructose consumption is not excessive (meaning consistently over 50g a day... table sugar and HFCS are around 50% fructose so going over 100g a day of either as a carb source could produce some different results) all dietary carbs produce identicle results on body composition, anyone telling you otherwise is either ignorant of nutritional science and sports nutrition or is being intellectually dishonest. I'm currently cutting and have eaten over 500 calories of ice cream 3 different days in the last week. A few days ago I had 1200 calories of pizza which is all bread as far as the carbs in it go. Stop focusing on individual food choices and focus on the numbers, eating what you like and filling up on very low calorie foods like broccoli and other veggies if you are struggling with satiation (appetite, fullness etc).

JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey Jason,

Keep up the good work! Love your frequent videos. It gives me something to look forward to every time I get on YouTube.

As we know, consuming at a caloric deficit will result in weight loss. I've been stuck at a plateau for about a month and a half and recently started making little progress. Under normal circumstances, my TDEE is 3000. Because of consuming at a large caloric deficit for a period of 3-4 months, it's very likely that my body adjusted so "under normal circumstances" is no longer. My question is, how much does less than ideal caloric deficit impact your TDEE?

Also when you go on a "diet break", is that basically to build your TDEE back up to "normal circumstances"?

Thanks and I look forward to your answer!

Originally Posted by JEPARK View Post
    Hey Jason,

Keep up the good work! Love your frequent videos. It gives me something to look forward to every time I get on YouTube.

As we know, consuming at a caloric deficit will result in weight loss. I've been stuck at a plateau for about a month and a half and recently started making little progress. Under normal circumstances, my TDEE is 3000. Because of consuming at a large caloric deficit for a period of 3-4 months, it's very likely that my body adjusted so "under normal circumstances" is no longer. My question is, how much does less than ideal caloric deficit impact your TDEE?

Also when you go on a "diet break", is that basically to build your TDEE back up to "normal circumstances"?

Thanks and I look forward to your answer!
    Correct the idea behind the type of diet break I recommend is to get thryroid function back up, testosterone and other anabolic hormones back up, and regain lost muscle tissue all in an effort to return base metabolic rate closer to where it should be if you were functioning normally.

KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hi!

I'm at a point in my life where I'll really have to see on what I buy because of shortage of money. But at the same time I'm a kind of guy who tries to eat high protein (don't know why) but very many good protein sources cost a lot and I'm not going to have that money to buy them anymore (chicken, turkey etc.) and I also don't have a freezer so I can't buy stuff like fish or other seafood for long period of time.

So to my question: fat loss = kcal in vs kcal out right? So the amount of protein in comparison to carbs doesn't really matter right?

JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50) JEPARK will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Correct the idea behind the type of diet break I recommend is to get thryroid function back up, testosterone and other anabolic hormones back up, and regain lost muscle tissue all in an effort to return base metabolic rate closer to where it should be if you were functioning normally.
    Awesome thanks. During the plateau, I was consuming at a 1000 caloric deficit from 3000. I was told "starvation mode" is overly exaggerated and its only common when your body fat% is low and when you are in it, you only really affect your metabolism by around 10%. So did I really damage my BMR by 33%? If not, then how is it possible my body readjusted so harshly to only require 2000 calories per day(I'm assuming 2000 cal because my body did not lose or gain weight).

In the worst case scenario, I have a thyroid problem(would be awesome if you can make a vid about that), how easily and quickly can it be treated?

Originally Posted by KidAlchemy View Post
    Hi!

I'm at a point in my life where I'll really have to see on what I buy because of shortage of money. But at the same time I'm a kind of guy who tries to eat high protein (don't know why) but very many good protein sources cost a lot and I'm not going to have that money to buy them anymore (chicken, turkey etc.) and I also don't have a freezer so I can't buy stuff like fish or other seafood for long period of time.

So to my question: fat loss = kcal in vs kcal out right? So the amount of protein in comparison to carbs doesn't really matter right?
    Weight loss is cals in cals out. If protein is too low more of that weight lost will be muscle.

Originally Posted by JEPARK View Post
    Awesome thanks. During the plateau, I was consuming at a 1000 caloric deficit from 3000. I was told "starvation mode" is overly exaggerated and its only common when your body fat% is low and when you are in it, you only really affect your metabolism by around 10%. So did I really damage my BMR by 33%? If not, then how is it possible my body readjusted so harshly to only require 2000 calories per day(I'm assuming 2000 cal because my body did not lose or gain weight).

In the worst case scenario, I have a thyroid problem(would be awesome if you can make a vid about that), how easily and quickly can it be treated?
    A lot of factors play into metabolic slowdown under prolonged caloric restiction and thyroid is just one of them. Reduced body weight, even lost body fat, reduces calories burned during all activities not just BMR. It requires extra calories to pack around 30 lbs of extra body fat. There is th reduced energy levels that in term will make you less active in a variety of ways to compensate, such as less figiting, less motivatoin to walk somewhere you can drive, and in general just less physical activity. Reduced glycogen stores from a deficit can impede metabolism and BRM but also reduce training performance which is lower calories etc. It can all add up quickly.

You only have 3 options for thyroid function: reverse diet, diet breaks & medication.