Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jayalee View Post
    The bench I have is a Hoist FID and I'm not sure if it would conflict with the crossbar or not. I'm not 100% positive, I'm at work and can't look and see, but I believe wheels on the bench stick out a few inches past where the padded part of the bench stops (at the head). If it works for a bench press in the horizontal position, which it might, there's absolutely no way it would work in an incline position. I would have to be outside of the rack to do incline presses, which is being picky, but again why buy something that won't suit all of your needs from the beginning.

athomefitness.com/Hoist-HF-4165-6-Position-F.I.D-Bench-p-16717.html

Check out the picture of the drawing that shows dimensions.. it looks like the wheels stick out. The actual pictures don't appear that way, but it's really close either way.
    I see what you mean. I'm not an incline bencher so I guess it may be a problem on some racks. Its a matter of space. The wheels on your bench would hit my wall also if inclined fully on the rear uprights.

I can't afford the space to have a rack 3 feet off of the wall to accommodate the angles or footprint of a long incline bench. I'd have to bench off the front. I still think that if you need that much depth and have the space for it then additional 2-3" for a rear crossbar shouldn't be an issue.
    Last edited by GarageIron; 10-29-2012 at 10:16 PM.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()

jayalee is on a distinguished road. (+10) jayalee is on a distinguished road. (+10) jayalee is on a distinguished road. (+10) jayalee is on a distinguished road. (+10) jayalee is on a distinguished road. (+10) jayalee is on a distinguished road. (+10) jayalee is on a distinguished road. (+10) jayalee is on a distinguished road. (+10) jayalee is on a distinguished road. (+10) jayalee is on a distinguished road. (+10) jayalee is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by GarageIron View Post
    I see what you mean. I'm not an incline bencher so I guess it may be a problem on some racks. Its a matter of space. The wheels on your bench would hit my wall also if inclined fully on the rear uprights.

I can't afford the space to have a rack 3 feet off of the wall to accommodate the angles or footprint of a long incline bench. I'd have to bench off the front. I still think that if you need that much depth and have the space for it then additional 2-3" for a rear crossbar shouldn't be an issue.
    I completely agree with you about the crossbar. I think the crossbar adds in stability and is a positive on a rack. I'm using my garage, so space isn't much of an issue.

There are some racks that have the crossbar offset from the rack, which I wish body solid had done. But most don't have the offset (for lack of a better term) which accomodates longer benches and/or incline positions. The TSS rack actually has a crossbar, it's 16" from the rear of the rack. It's the same setup on the floor whether you have the plate storage or not. One of the reasons I tentatively decided on their rack..

BreakAes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BreakAes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BreakAes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BreakAes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BreakAes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BreakAes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BreakAes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BreakAes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BreakAes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BreakAes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BreakAes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the Texas Strength Systems suggestion. I looked at their racks, and they do look good, but I prefer the bolted design for compactness when moving, and for future upgrades.

I saw this post on the Edge Fitness Systems ******** page: "i will be introducing a sumo style stand alone power rack that will have a base price of less than $500.00 This rack will hold over 1000 pounds have west side hole spacing, and will be easy to ship, easy to install and will have training capabilities for the strongest athletes. display unit will be powder coated next week, photo to follow."

That seems like the best deal! So as of now I'm still leaning towards Edge, unless there's something better that nobody has mentioned yet.

It does seem like good advice for a beginner to get a cheap rack off of Craigslist, but I didn't see a good deal when I looked. I'm also a beginner to racks, but not to weightlifting (I lifted religiously in high school). So I feel like I want to try to "get it right the first time" and not waste money.

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BreakAes View Post
    It does seem like good advice for a beginner to get a cheap rack off of Craigslist, but I didn't see a good deal when I looked. I'm also a beginner to racks, but not to weightlifting (I lifted religiously in high school). So I feel like I want to try to "get it right the first time" and not waste money.
    Patience, checking regularly, and having the cash ready, and jumping quickly on the deal, is the key to getting a bargaind on ebay/craigs... etc.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jayalee View Post
    I completely agree with you about the crossbar. I think the crossbar adds in stability and is a positive on a rack. I'm using my garage, so space isn't much of an issue.

There are some racks that have the crossbar offset from the rack, which I wish body solid had done. But most don't have the offset (for lack of a better term) which accomodates longer benches and/or incline positions. The TSS rack actually has a crossbar, it's 16" from the rear of the rack. It's the same setup on the floor whether you have the plate storage or not. One of the reasons I tentatively decided on their rack..
    Jayalee, I have also been looking at the TSS racks for a while and just thought I could give a headsup on something that has changed over the last 2 months. The specs are now 2.25" x 2.25" 12 gauge square tubing. I think until Aug they were 2.5" x 2.5" 11 gauge square tubing. I am not sure if this makes a difference in terms of capacity since it is still rated @ 1000lbs. But thought i will throw it out there since all the online sources indicate the previous spec and any potential buyer should be aware of this change before placing the order.... Having said that, I still feel it is a great rack/value for the price and still considering it.

hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think once learning it was made of pre-fabbed sign post material I was swayed away a bit. Badass looking rack and maybe a badass rack. It may be in the same ball park as rogue or even better. Justified or not, the sign post thing put me off it
    GarageIron, just curious about the pre-fabbed material info. is that something mentioned on their website/online? if u can help with a link to read up some info, it would be great. Also, how does it affect the construction?

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Here is a picture of the new $495 Edge Rack. This pic was taken before it was bolted together. Not bad holding 1000lb when it's not even assembled yet

Tops and bottom are 2x3 and uprights are 2x2. The rear cross member is removable if you bolt it down using the holes in the foot pads. The band pegs and landmine attachment are standard.

Originally Posted by hulked View Post
    GarageIron, just curious about the pre-fabbed material info. is that something mentioned on their website/online? if u can help with a link to read up some info, it would be great. Also, how does it affect the construction?
    I'm not sure of the link but I found it in a discussion on this board not long ago. If you search "Unistrut", you may be able to find it. Not sure how it affects anything.

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Here is a picture of the new $495 Edge Rack. This pic was taken before it was bolted together. Not bad holding 1000lb when it's not even assembled yet

Tops and bottom are 2x3 and uprights are 2x2. The rear cross member is removable if you bolt it down using the holes in the foot pads. The band pegs and landmine attachment are standard.

That looks like a nice rack for the money!!
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #39 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #2 ▪█─────█▪

▪[[[[────]]]]▪ York Barbell Club #93 (DD) ▪[[[[────]]]]▪

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #10 ▪[M]====[6]▪

186lbs in Avatar

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dumb.bell View Post
    That looks like a nice rack for the money!!

Can't vouge for the rack, but I can for the guy that made it. I haven't gotten anything yet from him I didn't like and he's working on something for me now. He does good work and has been around long enough to know what he's doing.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

RL Erik 'Iwhspr Fe comes' matrix563's Avatar
    matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    does the guy have a site for the rack?
    ▪█───────█▪ Equipment Crew #46 ▪█───────█▪
    ▪█───────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #21 ▪█───────█▪
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #33 ||---||

~ 5th dimensional being ~

trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by matrix563 View Post
    http://www.edgefitnessystems.com/

If you want to see more photos of his rack, you should check his ******** page. And he said he'd be able to ship soon. The yokes on his site are more versatile than anything I've seen.

Originally Posted by matrix563 View Post
    This particular rack is not listed on the site. Rick texts the picture if you enquire about it. I think the 2x3 version of it costs around 750 and is listed on the site. Garageiron has posted the link to the site in the previous page

sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The allowable vertical load (safety factors cranked in) for a single 7', 2" x 2", 11 gauge steel tube is about 10,000 lb.

The allowable vertical load for a single 7', 1 1/4" x 1 1/4", 11 ga steel tube is about 2,000 lb.

single 7', 3"x3", 7 gauge is about 36,000 lb.

All plenty strong for gym work.

Here is link to a handy reference: http://www.steeltubeinstitute.org/pd...d_brochure.pdf

BreakAes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BreakAes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BreakAes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BreakAes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BreakAes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BreakAes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BreakAes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BreakAes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BreakAes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BreakAes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BreakAes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm pretty close to buying something from Edge. I spoke to Rick on the phone yesterday and he was cool. We have a lot to go over regarding my needs, but Edge seems like the right company to go with for pricing, quality, and it seems the customer service is good too.

The yoke looks cool and may fit in my space better because the ideal room has really low sloping ceilings. If I went with a rack it would probably have to go in my living room, and if I can avoid that it would be preferable, but I want the best thing for the long term. Any downsides to getting the yoke instead of the rack? And I would like to be able to do pullups, but I do have a door frame mounted pullup bar.

Edit: I just spoke with Rick and he recommended a yoke for my space. He's going to send me some photos later of a unit that he thinks will be like what I need.
    Last edited by BreakAes; 11-06-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Rogue's Yoke is similar

Safeties, dip attachment are extra on top of $485 though
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Detrus View Post
    Rogue's Yoke is similar

Safeties, dip attachment are extra on top of $485 though
    According to Rick, there's a reason for that similarity (I have a lot of Rogue gears, but I think he's right because he usually posts about his gears long before Rogue has them). I have the Rogue S-1 for outdoor work, but I like Rick's version of the Yoke better. Rick's Yoke looks sturdier (more like an open/sumo rack) while the Rogue version looks more like half rack. Too bad he didn't ship back then, and I got the S-1 stands at a discount.

The only yoke that looks crazier than Rick's version is the Yoke of Goergen/XL Yoke by Sorinex. It costs more than most racks (probably weighs more than many of them too), but it's compatible with Sorinex base station accessories.
    http://www.roguefitness.com/the-base...of-goergen.php
    http://store.sorinex.com/ProductDeta...ductCode=XL-YK
    Last edited by trnk1001; 11-06-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Add link

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by trnk1001 View Post
    http://www.edgefitnessystems.com/

If you want to see more photos of his rack, you should check his ******** page. And he said he'd be able to ship soon. The yokes on his site are more versatile than anything I've seen.

I'm going to agree, the only Yokes I've seen that look better are the Sorinex!
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #39 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #2 ▪█─────█▪

▪[[[[────]]]]▪ York Barbell Club #93 (DD) ▪[[[[────]]]]▪

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #10 ▪[M]====[6]▪

186lbs in Avatar

Originally Posted by BreakAes View Post
    Edit: I just spoke with Rick and he recommended a yoke for my space. He's going to send me some photos later of a unit that he thinks will be like what I need.
    Im assuming this is the new Yoke design with the removable uprights. I am very interested in seeing it. I didn't think he had built it yet though.
    Last edited by GarageIron; 11-06-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by trnk1001 View Post
    Rick's Yoke looks sturdier (more like an open/sumo rack) while the Rogue version looks more like half rack.
    Yea but Rogue's photographs better.

How useful would those low back uprights be?
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

Im assuming this is the new Yoke design with the removable uprights. I am very interested in seeing it. I didn't think he had built it yet though.
    Rick's been busy, but he'll get back to me soon. If he has pictures I'll post them here.

I need to see how tall he can make the uprights, if they're removable, and if the rackable reverse hyperextension unit is compatible with it.