MMA12Fighter will become famous soon enough. (+50) MMA12Fighter will become famous soon enough. (+50) MMA12Fighter will become famous soon enough. (+50) MMA12Fighter will become famous soon enough. (+50) MMA12Fighter will become famous soon enough. (+50) MMA12Fighter will become famous soon enough. (+50) MMA12Fighter will become famous soon enough. (+50) MMA12Fighter will become famous soon enough. (+50) MMA12Fighter will become famous soon enough. (+50) MMA12Fighter will become famous soon enough. (+50) MMA12Fighter will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question Getting stronger for MMA and BJJ?

What specific exercises or training routines should i consider using to gain strangth in MMA fighting and BJJ rolling?

Shanle929 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shanle929 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shanle929 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shanle929 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Train with a higher weight class. And better than you if possible.

Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have found a few things that have helped me progress with BJJ is:

Leg Adductor Exercises. I know many people consider this a very useless piece of equipment, but this helps build a strong guard if you modify it. Rather than doing reps, jack up the weight and then hold in the closed position for as long as you can. Keep increasing the time/weight.

Core workouts. Really helps with controlling a person in the guard and sweeps. Two in particular are the janda sit-up. If you can master those, sweeping your opponent becomes so much easier because both of your hands will be available to knock out their posts (I'm not there yet, but working on those). Dragon flags are also excellent (youtube search will give you plenty of examples). First time I tried those, 5 sets only 1 rep, my abs hurt for a week. The extra benefit with these beyond just the core strengthening is that at the top part of the movement, you are basically in a head stand, but with your neck compressed really close to your chest. This is similar to when you have someone in a triangle choke and they try to stand up to give themselves more space and to try to make you uncomfortable and break the hold. Getting used to being in this uncomfortable position really helps. First time I tried being in this form of headstand, my neck hurt for a day or two. Now I can be in that position for several minutes and have no neck pain.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise...e/janda-sit-up

Dynamic Lifting. Accidently fell upon these by accident when I was trying to improve my bench press but they make sense. You may be able to bench press your own body weight, but an opponent is not going to give you the time to bench press them off of you. But if you can dynamic lift you body weight you would be able to have enough strength and speed to quickly throw an opponent off of you if they have mount or side control (at least get you some space so you can shrimp). Dynamic lifting is just basically drop the weight to about 50% of your 1 RPM. Do 8 sets at 3 reps but the movement should be like throwing the weight off of your chest. I usually try to let the weight be static for a few seconds on my chest before starting the lift so that there is no momentum.

Just somethings that I have found helped. Also, just be aware...I find any increase in strength in my upper body reduces my flexibility in that area as well. My shoulder flexibility has suffered as a result of becoming stronger.

Edit: Oh yeah, wanted to mention that a cardio program that recreates what you will see in a competition is also very important. I have a BJJ comp coming in December so I will start incorporating a new cardio program. Basically you are looking for a cardio program that is extreme intensity that involves strength but also short term endurance. Not sure what comps you are looking to do, but with the BJJ, they are short rounds (3-5 minutes). But in those rounds you fatigue everything (muscles, wind, endurance) all in under 5 minutes. BJJ practices don't come close to helping you prepare. So you need to recreate something similar...but I wouldn't want to do that all the time cause I prefer to focus on strength gains until just before a comp. A friend recommended a superset program that included 10 exercises (two for each body part)...obviously no break between each exercise. Killer workout and really jacks up the heart rate.
    Last edited by Artemis00; 11-05-2012 at 06:51 AM.

KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    SS/thread

No seriously the best way to get stronger for something is to get stronger in general, true story. You need a strength training program with weekly progression and you have stay consistent with it. And when I say strength training, I mean strength training..

Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by KidAlchemy View Post
    SS/thread

No seriously the best way to get stronger for something is to get stronger in general, true story. You need a strength training program with weekly progression and you have stay consistent with it. And when I say strength training, I mean strength training..
    Agree 100% and simply put.

dugganst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dugganst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dugganst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i was asking my trainer dis the other day about typical exercises he does in the gym and was suprised to hear he does no deadlifts or squats.... he said its alot of high repettion upper body pulling and pushing motions to replicate that of rolling he focuses on and core and hip strenght. i was reading other articles online and alot of people seem to favour alot of pull ups and training that requires alot of concentration on exercises that test ur grip strength. I however just recently read Chuck Liddel's book and he has his workout for the gym in it i can post it if anyone is interested. i really want to try what you were saying Artemis00 looks like good stuff....!!

KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well, in the end you can what you want. But remember that there are sure fireproof ways to get strong and squats and deadlifts are part of that.

dugganst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dugganst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dugganst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, in the end you can what you want. But remember that there are sure fireproof ways to get strong and squats and deadlifts are part of that.
    I totally agree they are two of my favorite exercises i was suprised he didn do them as they are prob the two biggest compound strength building moves. but then again he is at martial arts the last 38 years no matter how many DL's or squats i do i wont be catching him anytime soon ha :P

Originally Posted by dugganst View Post
    I totally agree they are two of my favorite exercises i was suprised he didn do them as they are prob the two biggest compound strength building moves. but then again he is at martial arts the last 38 years no matter how many DL's or squats i do i wont be catching him anytime soon ha :P
    Skill "strength" > physical strength. I remember my first master who was and still is like a god to me, he was this short guy who was fairly lean but he would demolish guys who outweighed him by 30-40lbs. It was amazing to watch and even more amazing to experience.

If one wants to get better at MMA do MMA, If one want's to get strong do strength training. With a good plan both are possible at same time.

my trainer is the exact same short but just an absolute weapon!!!! and yes skill strength all the way!!! and im currently training bjj 3 nights a week and doing gym work 4 days a week its tuff going but de results are very good... still find rolling harder dan any gym session doh the gym builds ur ego and bjj will bring it back down to earth.

Well the gym builds your ego if you let it. I rememember back at home there was this guy who worked on a farm there for summers and he was a gym rat like myself. He was a really nice guy with a great attitude for work and life but what annoyed me was that he always dropped the heaviest dumbells after one arm rows. The bang annoyed me and the fact that the plates got loose and made a sound. One time I just told him "Were here to build our strength and muscle, not our ego".

But what came to my mind that my BJJ gym has brown belts that are really out of shape, I'm not saying that they are fat I mean that they have pretty poor conditioning BUT because of that they're technique is flawless.

Skill "strength" > physical strength. I remember my first master who was and still is like a god to me, he was this short guy who was fairly lean but he would demolish guys who outweighed him by 30-40lbs. It was amazing to watch and even more amazing to experience.

If one wants to get better at MMA do MMA, If one want's to get strong do strength training. With a good plan both are possible at same time.
    I do agree that Skill > Physical strength...but when you are dealing with everyone having very similar Skill levels, that is when the Physical begins to become a factor.

There was a wrestler in my high school that had excellent Skill, but he was lacking with the Physical. His Skill helped him win many meets, but when he came across an opponent that had Skill and Physical, he was dominated. The best wresler at the time in my area had both. He clearly weight trained, but also had incredible Skill which was why he placed in states all four years he was in high school (won 3 of those years).

So don't slack on building Skill, but when you can...work on Physical as well, it will give you an advantage. Just cater the Physical to the sport. Bodyweight exercises are also a great way to go. Oh yeah, watch some of the videos GSP has on YouTube. He really likes to take his training to extremes and will inlist every form of training to find ways to apply it to mma (like training with gymnasts). I mean he is one of the best...and is definitely physical / skill strong...but wouldn't expect to see him bench as much as some guys at the gym.

still find rolling harder dan any gym session doh the gym builds ur ego and bjj will bring it back down to earth.
    You can certainly say that again. Besides the likelyhood of you getting your nose busted in the gym versus rolling around is considerably less. I speak from my own Tuesday night experience. LOL.

Registered User BuffaloGrappler's Avatar
    BuffaloGrappler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuffaloGrappler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuffaloGrappler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuffaloGrappler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuffaloGrappler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuffaloGrappler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuffaloGrappler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuffaloGrappler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuffaloGrappler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuffaloGrappler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuffaloGrappler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Consistency on the Mats + Consistently lift heavy stuff + Sleep/Proper Nutrition

Since I'm posting here, I'll put out my weekly routine (please critique). I'm competitive in BJJ and my gym is pretty hard core about training the competition guys.

Monday: 1 hour Gi technique/drilling, 30 min conditioning (sprints, shrimps, 100 upas, etc), 20 min live positions, 30-40 min live rolling, SOHP 5x5
    Tuesday: 1 hour Gi/NoGi technique/drilling, 1 hour live rolling, Squats 5x5
    Wednesday: 1 hour Wrestling (about 1/2 technique, 1/2 live takedowns), 30 min technique, 45 min live rolling plus bent over rows 5x5 and pull ups
    Thursday: REST (typically I'll take my dog for a 3ish mile walk as active recovery)
    Friday: Same as Monday except Bench 5x5
    Saturday: Same as Tuesday except Deadlifts 5x5
    Sunday: Total REST day

Originally Posted by BuffaloGrappler View Post
    Consistency on the Mats + Consistently lift heavy stuff + Sleep/Proper Nutrition

Since I'm posting here, I'll put out my weekly routine (please critique). I'm competitive in BJJ and my gym is pretty hard core about training the competition guys.

Monday: 1 hour Gi technique/drilling, 30 min conditioning (sprints, shrimps, 100 upas, etc), 20 min live positions, 30-40 min live rolling, SOHP 5x5
    Tuesday: 1 hour Gi/NoGi technique/drilling, 1 hour live rolling, Squats 5x5
    Wednesday: 1 hour Wrestling (about 1/2 technique, 1/2 live takedowns), 30 min technique, 45 min live rolling plus bent over rows 5x5 and pull ups
    Thursday: REST (typically I'll take my dog for a 3ish mile walk as active recovery)
    Friday: Same as Monday except Bench 5x5
    Saturday: Same as Tuesday except Deadlifts 5x5
    Sunday: Total REST day
    The only thing that came to my mind was that if possible do the lifts before any martial arts/skill work. Because all that martial arts training leaves your core pretty tired even if you don't feel it. And thus it becomes pretty risky to lift with a weakened core.

Originally Posted by Artemis00 View Post
    So don't slack on building Skill, but when you can...work on Physical as well, it will give you an advantage. Just cater the Physical to the sport. Bodyweight exercises are also a great way to go. Oh yeah, watch some of the videos GSP has on YouTube. He really likes to take his training to extremes and will inlist every form of training to find ways to apply it to mma (like training with gymnasts). I mean he is one of the best...and is definitely physical / skill strong...but wouldn't expect to see him bench as much as some guys at the gym.
    I agree, if possible one should do some form of GPP for BJJ just in case.

And GSP is a beast! I feel very motivated by him because we share a common problem from childhood: bullies. So I look up to him as an idol.

mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do agree that Skill > Physical strength...but when you are dealing with everyone having very similar Skill levels, that is when the Physical begins to become a factor.

There was a wrestler in my high school that had excellent Skill, but he was lacking with the Physical. His Skill helped him win many meets, but when he came across an opponent that had Skill and Physical, he was dominated. The best wresler at the time in my area had both. He clearly weight trained, but also had incredible Skill which was why he placed in states all four years he was in high school (won 3 of those years).

^^^^^This

You can certainly say that again. Besides the likelyhood of you getting your nose busted in the gym versus rolling around is considerably less. I speak from my own Tuesday night experience. LOL.
    i feel ur pain got poked in the eye twice the last night rolling ha but @BuffaloGrappler when u say pull ups are u doing all wide grip for back or mixing it up, gettin in sum to target the biceps (fight those armbars!!)

i feel ur pain got poked in the eye twice the last night rolling ha but @BuffaloGrappler when u say pull ups are u doing all wide grip for back or mixing it up, gettin in sum to target the biceps (fight those armbars!!)
    Been fortunate not to get poked in they eye...guess my nose always gets in the way. Had a finger tip overextended pretty good and a young guy I grappled with gave me a very nice goose egg. But hey, if you don't come out of a class with some bruises, you really aren't trying very hard. My only problem with the busted nose is I'm the one bleeding and I'm stuck having to calm everyone else down.

As for pull ups. I like to do those as well. They are currently the only exercise that I find quickly jack up my heart rate while still strength training (usually need a 90 second recovery before going to the next set - normal recovery is 40 seconds). Honestly, I like to mix it up...keeps it interesting and hits more muscles that way. But not only on the grip, but also the speed. Sometimes I'll try to knock out as many as I can as quickly as I can...other times I will go slowly and less reps to really work the muscles.

Oh yeah, forgot this really good exercise to help strengthen your ground game. It uses the dreaded sissy machine at the gym. LOL. The one that is considered useless by most weight lifters...the adductor machine.

Of course doing reps will be pointless, but what I find helps is jacking the weight as high as I can handle and holding in the closed position for as long as I can. Last time I did this, I was at 220 for 2:15 minutes. Really helps to strengthen your guard and putting pressure with the body triangles.

Pullups are great for grips too! Especially if you wrap a towel around the bar thus making it more like fat bar, kills your forearms trust me!

Registered User BuffaloGrappler's Avatar
    BuffaloGrappler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuffaloGrappler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuffaloGrappler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuffaloGrappler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuffaloGrappler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuffaloGrappler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuffaloGrappler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuffaloGrappler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuffaloGrappler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuffaloGrappler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuffaloGrappler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Pullups are great for grips too! Especially if you wrap a towel around the bar thus making it more like fat bar, kills your forearms trust me!
    If you want to make them even harder, throw your gi or a towel over the bar and hang from the sleeves or sides of the towels.
    Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

Originally Posted by BuffaloGrappler View Post
    If you want to make them even harder, throw your gi or a towel over the bar and hang from the sleeves or sides of the towels.
    This is great also.

i was at a bjj contest today and just realised how much i need to up my training towards benefitting bjj as my current program was made by a friend who is a body builder.... this is the current program im working off

Every exercise is completed within a 4 set range with 6 reps for primary movements and 8-10 reps for secondary movements. there is a 60 second rest period in between each set.

day 1 legs
    Quad extensions:Secondary
    Leg Press:Primary
    Squat:P
    Straight leg deadlift:S
    Seated Leg Curl:S

Day 2 Back

Dead lift:P
    BB Row:P
    Seated Row:S
    Lat Pull down wg:S
    DB Row:P
    Shrugs:P

Day 3 Chest and Biceps
    Bench press:P
    Incline Bench:P
    Flat Fly DB:S
    Dips:S
    Straight bar curl:P
    Incline DB curl:S
    Ez curl:S

Day 4 Shoulders and triceps
    Rear dealt fly machine:S
    Lateral raise:S
    Seated Military press:P
    Behind Neck Press:P
    Rope Extension:S
    Skull Crushers:P
    Dips:P

i will say i love this workout and i have got brilliant gains from it but i think its time to move towards bjj a bit more as i want to take it serious. let me know what you think and think it would be cool if we could make and actual program to help with general strength and conditioning for bjj and mma?

Don't take this bad but that routine is not going to help you with BJJ. Infact no weight routine is going to help you with BJJ, they make you stronger but to get better at BJJ you do BJJ.

But since you asked maybe take a proven strength training program (madcows 5x5, bill starrs 5x5, 531 etc.) and run it consistently.

Don't take this bad but that routine is not going to help you with BJJ. Infact no weight routine is going to help you with BJJ, they make you stronger but to get better at BJJ you do BJJ.

But since you asked maybe take a proven strength training program (madcows 5x5, bill starrs 5x5, 531 etc.) and run it consistently.
    I know that it aint for BJJ atal, i was in america for the summer and did no bjj i was just training in the gym for general muscle gain and look. My friend was a body builder and made if for me where now i am asking does anyone suggest a program for me or cud we come together and make one on the site? where will i find the madcows 5x5?

i read chuck liddells book and he had his work out in it for his weights sessions think i might go over to dis what do people think?

DAY WORKOUT SETS REPS

MON Explosive standing military press 3 6
    MON Lateral Raise 2 15-20
    Tri-Set
    MON Flat-bench dumbbell press 2 12-15 to failure
    MON Incline dumbbell flye 2 12-15 to failure
    MON Push-up 2 To failure
    Tri-Set
    MON Bent-over barbell row 2 12-15 to failure
    MON Front pull-down 2 11
    MON Dumbbell pull-over 2 15-20

WED Squat 3 15-20
    WED Barbell lunge 2 15-20
    WED Barbell side lunge 1 15-20
    Compound set
    WED Lying or seated leg curl 2 12-15 to failure
    WED Romanian dead lift 2 12-15

FRI Barbell clean 3 6
    Tri-Set
    FRI Barbell curl 2 15-20
    FRI Reverse barbell curl 2 15-20
    FRI Hammer curl 2 15-20
    Tri-Set
    FRI Lying French press 2 15-20
    FRI Seated dumbbell extension 2 15-20
    FRI Cable pressdown 2 15-20

* Finish with crunches, lying leg raises, decline twisting crunches, and 10-20 minutes of full-body stretching.

I think the pros have their stuff at the gym that works for them and we "normal people" or beginners should stay out of it. If you search for "GSP weighttraining" in youtube you'll find his routine that he used to do but even though I adore him I would never do that routine because I think it wouldn't work for me.

So stay with a proven strength routine and reap results in and out of gym.

Madcows:
    http://madcow.hostzi.com/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

CherryDeadly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I use break dancing for endurance and ground agility, jump lunges and plyo push ups for explosiveness, crossfit for strength and running for that gas tank. I've been fighting for 4 years, the workouts are no joke but also remember to break it up. I try to workout twice a day. Breaking, cardio, lifting or training

wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000)
    westside barbell standard template

circuits/gpp/ barbell complexes/ sprints varied 3x week

class

get stronger, do things faster end thread
    Mirin'triceps peak? Thanks westside barbell.

Gettin'older, studying MMA in Brazil gonna fight soon, on my own crew.