abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Training>Homework.

I love to read other people's journals, and have wanted one of my own pretty much since I became a member of this forum (just about exactly a year ago!). I just changed up my eating and lifting this past week, so what better time to start posting?

I've been into sports my whole life, but you might have never known it based on how out of shape I was for most of my childhood. When I was sixteen, I hit a high of 215 pounds and just generally felt terrible about myself physically. I decided to join my mom's gym and actually listen to what she said about eating right. I would get up and hit the gym at 5:30 most days before school and went to lacrosse practice every day after school. Lo and behold, I lost about 50 pounds by the time I graduated high school and was in the best shape of my life.

I continued to be fitness minded when I arrived at college in the fall. I ended up getting into serious lifting and proper programming after being ridiculed at the Rec Center by a girl I felt I was in constant competition with. She taught me how to bench, and from there I taught myself a bunch of other core lifts and picked up a routine. I wish I could go back and teach me then what me now knows, because I'd be a hell of a lot stronger now if I had been smarter then.

I've been trying to "re-comp" for the past several months, and up until about three weeks ago that was working for me. I was eating 1700-1800 cal/day and lifting heavy 3-4 times per week, plus yoga 1-2 times per week. Lifting consisted of a chest and tris, back and bis, legs, and power split. My lifts just stopped going up, and I was getting pretty bored anyway.

This week I'm back on WS4SB, which I really enjoyed when I was doing it ~18 months ago. I saw huge gains with the combination of max/dynamic/high rep days, and it allows for cardio and agility integration for athletes. I feel like now that I'm more experienced and educated about lifting, I'm going to be even more successful this time around. I'm eating 2000-2200 cal/day now (right around-slightly over maintenance), and mixing in a little interval training (post-lift) and distance running (off lift days) when I have time and feel up to it. Eating more has been like MAGIC so far! My recovery is much better, and I always study better when I have a little snack...

Today was Max Effort Lower. I keep my workout logs in lbs x reps x sets form, so that's how they'll be logged here.
    Back Squat: 45x8, 95x6, 115x5, 135x5, 165x5, 190x4, 195x3, 135x5
    Bulgarian Split Squat (DBs): 20x8x3
    RDL:95x8x3
    45 Degree Hyper-Extensions (w/ plate): 25x12x3
    Medicine Ball Slam: 12x15x3

This was my first time doing proper RDLs. Not sure how I feel about them now that I'm in love with the conventional deadlift. I have a love hate relationship with split squats- I know they're good for me, but ughhh they KILL me.

Phew. Long post. Hopefully my habit of procrastinating my school work helps me to post here often and regularly This should be fun! Yay journaling!
    "The greats weren't great 'cause at birth they could paint, the greats were great 'cause they paint a lot."

Bench: 150x1 (Goal: 150x5)
    Squat: 225x1 (Goal: 225x3)
    DL: 250x1 (Goal: 250x3)

abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) abellis131 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Here comes Sandy, apparently - campus is already closed for tomorrow. My exam that was scheduled for tomorrow night is now postponed, so that's cool, but the gym is closed all day now Win some, lose some I suppose. Maybe if the weather cooperates in the morning I can squeeze in a run? If we keep power for most of the day, I can get my cooking done for the week too!

Friday I was SUPER sore from my lower body work on Thursday, but I was glad for it. I got in not quite four hours of sleep between finishing my paper Thursday night and getting up for Friday sunrise yoga, but it was worth it. Halloweekend kind of took a toll on my body afterwards though - ate a bunch of crap for dinner Friday night, ate crap all day Saturday, and had some beers Saturday night... I always regret this behavior on Sunday and Monday, but I keep its occurrence down to "occasional"... For events like birthday parties and Halloween. This is ZooMass, afterall.

Today, I made up for it. Got a really good night's sleep, got some internship applications done this morning to get my brain going, and hit the gym for max effort upper. Gotta say, I kinda killed it. And very much enjoyed it.

Highlights:
    140x3 BB bench, top set
    135x5 Pendlay rows, super set with rear delt flys
    45lb 21

Even managed to eat enough AND hit my macros, despite waking up kind of late. Overall, wonderful day. Hopefully I can stay focused tomorrow even though the gym is closed...
    "The greats weren't great 'cause at birth they could paint, the greats were great 'cause they paint a lot."

tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Lol. I love the title. I'm really bad about using bb.com to procrastinate as well.

Strong workouts!

So happy to get back in the gym today post-Sandy. Wish I didn't have to go to class today, but quite glad the storm spared New England after seeing the damage in NY and NJ.... Scary stuff.

Today was Dynamic Lower body, and I got out of class early this morning so I even had a chance to do a little post-lift cardio.

Deadlift- 95x10, 135x8, 205x4, 225x1, 215x2, 185x6
    Box Jump- 2 sets of 3 jumps, 3 sets of 5 jumps (24in box), 1 set of 3 jumps (30in box), 5 jumps from a few feet away from 24in box
    Bulgarian Split Squat (holding DBs)- 20x8x3
    45 degree Hyperextensions (25lb plate)- 12x3
    Side bends (45lb plate)-15x4

Getting cardio in today was nice, moderate interval training for 20 minutes. Also really happy to be able to get back into box jumps after completely wrecking myself last Sunday... I was worried that I would be afraid of the big box, but I conquered it. Just did one set, just to know I could. Back in full force next week I hope, now that my confidence is back.

Worst part of my lift today was definitely my grip... That was what limited my DL, unfortunately- legs and back felt great. Considering straps, just for 215+ sets... But I'm not sure yet. Anyone have experience in that department? Success/failure?

Originally Posted by abellis131 View Post
    Also really happy to be able to get back into box jumps after completely wrecking myself last Sunday...
    Now that I have 50 posts, here's a picture of said wrecking. Looking at it again, the picture really doesn't show how bad it was... Most painful, stupid injury I've gotten in a really long time. My shin swelled almost instantly under both cuts, and the bottom/darker cut is basically a missing chunk of skin. The bruises are still draining into my foot 9 days later. I've bruised my shins, I've scraped my shins, but not anything like this. Maybe I'm just a wimp?
    Attached Images

Wife and Sammich Maker rickiecoombs's Avatar
    rickiecoombs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rickiecoombs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rickiecoombs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rickiecoombs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rickiecoombs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rickiecoombs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rickiecoombs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rickiecoombs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rickiecoombs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rickiecoombs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rickiecoombs is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hi! Welcome!

Owie on the shin. That looks painful.

Get the straps! I've got a pair of cotton ones from Walmart - they were 5-10$. I was using them wrong at first, but when I finally figured it out, WOW! What a difference! I can't lift anywhere near what you're lifting, but I was finding that my DLs and Rack Pulls were rough because I was spending more time worrying about whether or not I was going to drop the bar. The straps allow me to lift without that even crossing my mind. Doesn't matter how tight or loose I grip the bar; as long as my hand is closed around it, it's not goin' anywhere!

Let us know what you decide!
    My Journal - Large, But Not in Charge: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=128025573

Originally Posted by rickiecoombs View Post
    Hi! Welcome!

Owie on the shin. That looks painful.

Get the straps! I've got a pair of cotton ones from Walmart - they were 5-10$. I was using them wrong at first, but when I finally figured it out, WOW! What a difference! I can't lift anywhere near what you're lifting, but I was finding that my DLs and Rack Pulls were rough because I was spending more time worrying about whether or not I was going to drop the bar. The straps allow me to lift without that even crossing my mind. Doesn't matter how tight or loose I grip the bar; as long as my hand is closed around it, it's not goin' anywhere!

Let us know what you decide!
    Yeah, I think I'm gonna do it I'll do a little research and shopping this weekend and hopefully have the straps for my next heavy DL day on Monday or Tuesday. Out of curiosity, what kind do you have? In Starting Strength, Mark Rippetoe talks about nylon straps that don't loop on the wrist, but I've only seen cotton ones that DO loop on the wrist. I don't know what kind of difference it would make. I honestly am going to have to look up videos on how to use them, too... Back to feeling like a newbie on the platform

Yesterday was high rep upper body. Didn't get to the gym til almost 8pm because of an exam, which is really late for me. My lifts were pretty good, nothing spectacular or really even noteworthy. I took my time and added some chin ups and a really good stretching session to the end of my planned lift, though, which was really nice. I want to get back into pull ups.... So I will I'm also meeting up with one of the only other girls I know who lifts heavy to squat tonight. I'm looking to break 200x1 with solid form, so I want my hips to give me as little trouble as possible.

The main lesson of yesterday was this: UMass's annual Halloween steak and lobster dinner should not be consumed prior to lifting+HIIT. Oof. Never again.

Yep. Did it. Picked up straps the other night. Just the Gold's Gym brand ones that are $4.80-something at Walmart, but they look like they'll suffice. If all goes well with school related stuff this week, I'll be using them to pull heavy on Tuesday

Thursday night I squatted with my friend Kristy. We did some critiquing of each others form, which I really appreciated. Hit 200x2. I was looking for another rep or two, but I'm pleased I guess. There will be plenty more opportunities to hit the big numbers.

Friday and Saturday were lovely days off. Went to visit my girlfriend, and her living in a dorm means me eating cafeteria food three times a day. I tried to watch myself and take food to go to keep up my frequent meals... Moderate success. I ate better than usual, and felt better than usual today as a result. I weighed myself just for fun this afternoon (random time, not my usual weigh-in day) and discovered that despite my increase in caloric intake over the past week, I've not gained weight. I'm kinda psyched about this. I get to eat more delicious food, recover faster, improve my lifts, and still maintain my weight? I don't know if this is just a temporary thing and all of a sudden I'll put on a few pounds... Not worried either way, just found it interesting.

Today was max effort upper body, which I enjoy. I really do enjoy benching. I was planning to attempt my 150x1 goal, but decided to wait one more week. Got 145x3 and it felt good!

I'm really loving this new program overall. Fun lifts that work with my schedule, eating more and more frequently... I actually look and feel better! Looking forward to getting stronger

It's odd to me that, even though I'm eating consistently more than I have in a long time, I'm losing weight... It's not like I'm trying to GAIN weight, but I just didn't expect to LOSE. Weighed in at 163 and change this morning, usually I hang around over 165 or 166. Maybe it's just a fluke.

I also feel like I have to admit that I had a cheat night last night to celebrate election day... Came home from the gym to friends and roommates drinking good beer and discussing ordering pizza... So I ate some fish like I planned, then had a few craft beers and a couple slices of pizza. And when Warren won the MA senate race, we ordered COOKIES. Did you know you can do that?! Fresh, HOT cookies DELIVERED to your door. A wonderful use of calories if ya ask me.

My lift last night was mediocre... People were all up in my **** and I was distracted by feeling clausterphobic. I didn't really like day one with straps... Dealing with the newness of them was just as distracting as having my grip fail. I'm going to keep trying though and see if things improve. I didn't try to push for a PR, either, because I have a game on Saturday and want to be as thoroughly recovered as possible. On the bright side, my squat form is getting SO much better.

High rep upper today was good. Nothing crazy, but really solid.

Most interesting update in my life: yesterday I registered for the Celtic 5k on the Worcester St. Patrick's Day Parade route. It's not until March, but I preregistered and locked myself into it because I want to feel obligated to improve at running. My goal is to run it in 26:30 or better, which will definitely take some work from where I'm at right now. In that spirit, I ran on the treadmill tonight after my lift. Covered up the display and just ran- 2.5 miles was not bad at all for day one, and I might have been able to go further if I had stretched my shins/calves/ankles better and didn't have to get home for family dinner with the roommates. Hopefully my legs don't feel broken as a result in the morning....

Oh man, a whole week has passed since I last posted? Damn.

I've been trying to keep myself accountable, but it's been a tough seven days. Went home for the weekend, and my mother always encourages me to spoil my diet (Indian buffet lunch, family dinner, making me treats, buying me beer....). I also went out drinking Sunday night because of the Monday holiday. The combination of all that has had me paying big time all week. On top of that, I had several assignments and projects wrapping up this week. Took a brutal engineering exam earlier tonight and just now finished two papers for tomorrow. TGIF....

My lifting schedule is set back a day this week because I was away for my Sunday workout and didn't make it up on Monday. Next week is short anyway, so the longer rest I usually take will be made up for. Nothing special this week so far - honestly I'm just glad I got to the gym at all. Hit my usual numbers. No PRs.

I'm concerned about Thanksgiving... Gotta be conscious of everything this year. My aunts have been strictly keeping with Weight Watchers and my sister has been staying careful, so hopefully they are a positive influence on me, even though we all have different goals

Well, that was a terrible journal lapse.... End of semester blues got the best of me, despite thread title.

It's been a rough month. Had a hard time getting my four lift days in each week with all the tests and homework and projects, but here are the highlights:
    -November 19: Hit my 150x1 bench goal!
    -December 11: Pulled a 235x1x2 deadlift, almost by mistake.
    -Been working on my flexibility overall: way more stretching/rolling throughout the day, especially preworkout.
    -The semester is OVER and I'm now on break: working part time = more time to devote to eating, sleeping, and lifting.

I'm back at the YMCA of Central Mass until I return to school to work full time in January before the semester starts. I miss the gym at UMass (particularly the platform and bumper plates), but the Y is a really comfortable environment. And I have an opportunity to improve my basketball skills on kids before trying to play the college guys haha.

Saturday was Max Lower (squat emphasis), yesterday was Max Upper (barbell bench emphasis), and today I jogged, erged, and shot around for a while on the court. Back at it again tomorrow trying to build on my heavy conventional deadlift! And back at journaling regularly too!
    Last edited by abellis131; 12-18-2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Can't even remember the days these days....

Feeling like at least a million bucks today. I've spent the past two days hanging out with my best friend from high school. Did dinner with his parents (lamb, rice pilaf, and candied carrots, yum!) and spent most of the night over there, and accidentally cut my workout short as a result...

I only had an hour, so I focused on getting a good, solid, deadlift workout. Paid off in the form of a 240x1x3 PR! Got some front squats in too

I've got my eating very much in control, too. Eating plenty, got my protein up, and looking to take in a little more potassium. Bought another bunch of bananas and cantelope was on sale!

I'm happy with my strength improvements and everything, but really... honestly.... Most happy with my improved sex drive haha. Definitely won't be upset when my girlfriend gets home from school on Friday...

Bottom line: I friggin' love winter break

Well, I will attribute my long hiatus to my journal title not being applicable to my life. I'm back at school, and with a lighter course load this semester, I am redoubling my effort to achieve my goals of being strong and lean.

I have some help this time, too, in two of my best friends. One of them is a long-time power lifter who is preparing for a comp in the early summer - he's helping me with hammering out all my bad habits in squatting, in addition to providing his general wisdom. The other is a competitive rower who really wants to put on weight - we're committing to a three week bulk together. I also have to thank wakechica for hooking me up with a fun new lifting program that I am LOVING.

I say three weeks for bulking for three reasons. (I suppose it would be more correct to say caloric cycling.)
    1. I want to start using smaller cycles for eating AND lifting to try to keep the results coming.
    2. I read this article (http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/49/4/608.short), whose findings included that hormonal impact of overfeeding tapers off in the third week. Very interesting.
    3. Lacrosse season starts VERY soon, and summer is right around the corner... Not looking to get real fat.... ;P

New eating plan starts Monday, after I finish this month's menstrual cycle, read a few more articles, weigh in, and take measurements. I want to do this right and with a plan! I'm currently trying out carb back loading, and am looking forward to revisiting it when it's time to lean out again

My buddy is convinced that within 40 minutes of coaching, he can have me squatting two plates. That'd be friggin' awesome... But, I'm planning on changing up my lifting program once I hit that goal regardless.

I WILL BE UPDATING THIS REGULARLY. I WILL I WILL I WILL!

Hey. Guess what. I got my two plate squat last night! My buddy wasn't even there - he just gave me about five minutes last week with some cues. Basically, I just cleaned up my un-racking process and stopped thinking about my feet. I beat my last PR by 15lbs, and it was actually a pretty quality single! DAMN did that feel good.

So, I also took my measurements this morning. I've been sticking to my diet and lifting plan all week, so the only thing that I think would make my numbers "abnormal" is that I'm approaching the end of my menstrual cycle.

Arms-12"
    Forearms-10"
    Legs-22.5"
    Calves-14"
    Waist-33"
    Hips (above butt)-38.5"
    Hips (on butt)-41"
    Chest-36"
    Shoulders-44"

I weighed 167.5 this morning, and have been in that range for the past few days. According to my scale, which I know is far less than accurate, my BF% is 24.6. That's all I have for the time being, though I look forward to having a better test done sometime in the near-ish future. I took pictures too, for my own sake, but I'll probably post them on my Body Space too.

I'm finally simultaneously satisfied with all my lift numbers and the way I look! I'd obviously like to be leaner and stronger, but... I'm happy! Can't wait to see more results - new PRs are always a nice new incentive

Takeaways from the week:
    1. Eating is awesome.
    2. Can't wait to squat heavy on Sunday!
    3. Gains are coming.

Bulking is scary. At one point this week, I weighed close to 175, but it appears that my weight is leveling off around 170. I can live with that! Show me the big numbers!

Also, tonight at the gym, a kid whose training style I really respect told me that I train hard That made me very happy. I feel like I'm finally finding my place in the social hierarchy at the Rec Center (and did so by not really giving a sh*t what people think?). Sweet.

Phew.

Had a really out of character but AWESOME weekend. I abused my body in most every way I've been avoiding... It was my buddy's 21st party on Friday night, and we went a little crazy... I drank way too much, went body sledding and snow wrestling, and fell asleep on the floor. Saturday night was better, but I ate tons of junk and nothing that my body needed. I obviously felt like sh!t yesterday, but got my eating back in order and did some good conditioning drills at practice last night. Didn't get very much sleep at all for some reason, and was really worried about how my lift today might suffer, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Got my two plate squat verified by someone whose opinion I trust - wish I took a vid. Next PR, I'll have to. This one was sorta ugly, but WAY better than last week. After my 225x1 max set, I did a 205x2 and a 215x2. Very pleased.

My mid-range deadlift was really good today too. 185x5x2, double overhand, and 205x4 and 205x5 switch grip working sets. I tried to double overhand at 205, but my hands were NOT havin' it. My gym technically doesn't allow chalk, but the knurls are also wicked smooth and my hands get sweaty and just slip off.... Any suggestions for ways to improve my grip? I've been avoiding using straps because I really don't want to get into the habit.

High rep barbell overhead press was lacking... Not sure why, but my shoulders were just exhausted! Maybe too many long throws at practice last night? I can live with that for now, though, particularly because my range has improved so much in the off season. Increased shoulder strength, perhaps?

I ate REALLY well today- enough, and the right stuff. I'm back on restricted carbs while still trying to hit a caloric surplus. I liked the way I looked and felt better when I was strictly following carb backloading, so I'm back in the 5 day cleansing period. Not tryna be bloated and gross for Valentine's Day