Page 159 of 183 FirstFirst ... 59 109 149 157 158 159 160 161 169 ... LastLast
Results 4,741 to 4,770 of 5464
    Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by iccyman001 View Post
    2 days and know posts. Everyone must be busy!
    Thursday is the deadline day at the paper. I had two people who couldn't meet me until Tuesday afternoon and evening. They were historical pieces on homes that were over 100 years old, so then I had to look up all of the facts behind each local personality.

This gig is fun and interesting. Gives me a whole lot more to learn. There is however a TON of fact checking involved!

Tuesday I worked 21 hours straight. Got 4 hours of sleep and was up with a teething toddler.

Now I'm sliding through 2 daddy-daughter days in a row before my wife has 5 days off.

2 weeks from today we close Father in law's estate... I'll have money in the bank and the in laws out of my hair!
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well, it turns out kate has been very unhappy with her job lately even though she tells everyone that she loves it. And I'm always unhappy with my job. I think after the honeymoon next year, we're going to start looking into opening a restaraunt/supper club.
    The hardest part of a zombie apocalypse will be pretending I'm not excited.

in omnia paratus

Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Hartski View Post
    Well, it turns out kate has been very unhappy with her job lately even though she tells everyone that she loves it. And I'm always unhappy with my job. I think after the honeymoon next year, we're going to start looking into opening a restaraunt/supper club.
    That can be a pretty hard road bro!

Restaurants are a lot of work and they are statistically more likely to fail than succeed.

Make sure you do your research on local demand/interest
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah, i know the stats on restaraunt failure rate. I want to open a deli/general store, but Kate thinks a restaraunt would do better in our little town. All there is in town is a bar. They have great bar food, but no real dinners like steak or pasta. And no place in town serves breakfast. If we did the restaraunt/supper club route, i'd like to incorperate a greenhouse and a micro brew into it, so we can grow fresh ingredients and serve my own beer. It's years down the road, but lots to research.

in omnia paratus

Yeah, i know the stats on restaraunt failure rate. I want to open a deli/general store, but Kate thinks a restaraunt would do better in our little town. All there is in town is a bar. They have great bar food, but no real dinners like steak or pasta. And no place in town serves breakfast. If we did the restaraunt/supper club route, i'd like to incorperate a greenhouse and a micro brew into it, so we can grow fresh ingredients and serve my own beer. It's years down the road, but lots to research.
    When it comes to the growing your own produce side of things, that could turn into a lot of work as well. I mean I feed 3 people for 6 months of the year on 5500 square feet. If you're running a 20-30 cover a night turn and burn you'll go through a farm field in weeks!

However, what I would do... go to localharvest.org... Search for CSA's in your area. (I already did and found a bunch near you)

Tell them your idea and that you want to have a menu that features SOME (Probably can't do all) Farm to Plate dishes.

See what kind of deal you can cut to have them help you source. Include that you'll advertise their names on the menu and some other displays around the restaurant.

Builds customer loyalty that you're "Keeping it local" and then these farmers, who are already dealing with the public through their farmer's market and other CSA customers are also another way for you to get your name out there.

This sort of Co-op marketing and word of mouth stuff is very quickly become the new way for small businesses to market themselves without breaking the bank on things like billboards that beg interstate tourists to stop in for a one-off meal etc...
    6'4"

Turns out that I've had localharvest on my favorites list for a few years since you mentioned it to me the first time. I would mainly focus on growing tomatoes and peppers for my own line of hot sauces and salsa. I would look to other sources for onions, taters, green beans, carrots, ect.

in omnia paratus

This summer and next summer I'm concentrating on canning enough salsa, green beans and carrots to use for our wedding reception. Pickles, too.

in omnia paratus

Turns out that I've had localharvest on my favorites list for a few years since you mentioned it to me the first time. I would mainly focus on growing tomatoes and peppers for my own line of hot sauces and salsa. I would look to other sources for onions, taters, green beans, carrots, ect.
    LOL... Nice!

I think if you're going to do it in a small town setting you've got to offer a handful of signature dishes, like the stuff they can't get anywhere else.

Then of course specials for Saturday nights and Sunday Brunch. Get the farmer crowd that comes into town for Saturday supper and Sunday brunch.

I'd start it just as a Friday through Sunday thing for a traditional dinner service... Then the rest of the time it's just a general store with a deli counter.

Something like an Iowan retake on Doe's Eat Place, complete with your own specialty salad etc...
    6'4"

These guys:
    http://www.localharvest.org/farm-market-cafe-llc-M46068

Are the kind of model I would look for given your neck of the woods. If you call them up on a Tuesday afternoon, when things are slow in the restaurant world... Explain what you're thinking and I bet they can give you a world of insights to get pointed in the right direction!
    6'4"

I was up till midnight fiday canning 13 quarts of green beans. I'll probably pick enough to do another 7 quarts tonight

in omnia paratus

Always a nice way to start out a Monday when you check your e-mail first thing and discover that you closed a contract with a $400 commission!
    6'4"

Wow... I went out to do a story for the local paper... Ended up meeting an old ghost from my past.

Guy in my old neighborhood... Way back in the 80's when I was running with the wrong crowd we butted heads and I knocked his front teeth out.

Turns out he now lives 4 miles from my house. He didn't recognize me, but I recognized him.
    6'4"

|ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Nainoa View Post
    Wow... I went out to do a story for the local paper... Ended up meeting an old ghost from my past.

Guy in my old neighborhood... Way back in the 80's when I was running with the wrong crowd we butted heads and I knocked his front teeth out.

Turns out he now lives 4 miles from my house. He didn't recognize me, but I recognized him.
    You old friends with the turtleman?

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. - Bill Murray

Mods - my avatar is locked by the admin and can't be changed.

Originally Posted by |ceman View Post
    You old friends with the turtleman?
    No... He's got very noticeable crowns now though.

I remember when it happened he squealed and said "You broke my big-boy teeth."

I still have a nasty scar on my knuckles.

He wasn't watching for the left jab!
    6'4"

What were you, like 12?

in omnia paratus

What were you, like 12?
    I believe I was 10 and he was 13-14.

I was running with kids that were 4-5 years older than me. I was huge for my age so I fit right in. We would pray on the weakling rich kids living in the fancy housing edition 2 blocks over.

It's was actually kind of a turning point moment for me. Shortly after that I ended up in a Juvenile Restitution program where the local vet took me under his wing. I worked off my debt to society with him. At the same time he fixed my speech impediment and taught me about philosophy through thought experiments.

He basically turned me from a street kid who was bound to end up in prison one day, into a guy who could get an education and do something with his life.
    6'4"

You have led quite the interesting life, Nainoa. I look forward to sitting down for a chat and some drinks someday.

in omnia paratus

You have led quite the interesting life, Nainoa. I look forward to sitting down for a chat and some drinks someday.
    Well there are parts of my life that I'm not proud of.

There were things I did when I was a poor kid running on the street that I'm not proud of.
    One of the things I've learned is that if you take your mistakes and sweep them under the rug they come back to bite you in the ass when you least expect them. When you live your life wide open and accept your mistakes, failure and face plants as being lessons along the way towards living a stronger, wiser and more compassionate life... Then you get the chance to take everything full circle.

And according to Nainoa-ism #3 "The only true path forward is the one that takes you full circle."
    6'4"

So I've been working on the hot rod, getting it ready so someone can buy it. Someone is coming to look at it saturday. I really am not wanting to sell it, especially since i've gotten going on working on it lately. But I just can't think of any other way to get out of credit card debt, buy Kate's ring, and get new tires for my truck.......

I know i can always get another hot rod later, but i've had this one for 7 years now......

in omnia paratus

So I've been working on the hot rod, getting it ready so someone can buy it. Someone is coming to look at it saturday. I really am not wanting to sell it, especially since i've gotten going on working on it lately. But I just can't think of any other way to get out of credit card debt, buy Kate's ring, and get new tires for my truck.......

I know i can always get another hot rod later, but i've had this one for 7 years now......
    I used to be that way with my projects. Then I had to let some of them go. Kind of turned out to be a good thing because it makes room for new projects or plans that you never would have considered in that space.
    6'4"

Nice way to start your day having the editor of the local paper e-mail me with rave reviews about my writing, research and attention to detail!

Now I just need to get some breakfast in this toddler!
    6'4"

jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Nainoa is climbing the ranks.

Jason is proud.

Originally Posted by jason_bh View Post
    Nainoa is climbing the ranks.

Jason is proud.
    Thanks Bro...

It's been a long road and I have many miles to go before I even take a breather. I've got another 2-3 weeks to really grind like mofo before I'll have the traction I need to take the next step. Once I get there... Then I'll have reached "Escape velocity" from the gravity well exerted by the forces at work against me!
    6'4"

jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Nainoa View Post
    Thanks Bro...

It's been a long road and I have many miles to go before I even take a breather. I've got another 2-3 weeks to really grind like mofo before I'll have the traction I need to take the next step. Once I get there... Then I'll have reached "Escape velocity" from the gravity well exerted by the forces at work against me!
    I am glad to finally see you do what you enjoy. I remember the 'book idea' from years ago. It really is nice to see you starting to succeed.

Got the hot rod's frame boxed and painted, and I'm going to get the rest of the parts and the motor from my folks' place tonight. Guy is coming from illinois to see it tomorrow. If he buys it, my credit card will be paid off and I'll be on my way to new truck tires and that engagement ring.

in omnia paratus

GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Well, it turns out kate has been very unhappy with her job lately even though she tells everyone that she loves it. And I'm always unhappy with my job. I think after the honeymoon next year, we're going to start looking into opening a restaurant/supper club.
    Titties and beer sell mag, not pretentious crap. /Gordon Ramsay. Keep it simple and quality.

I've gone back to my roots. Started wholesaling marine fish, corals and invertebrates. I've built 6- 8500 litre runs for them and have been spending every waking moment caring for them. The vegetable farming part of my life is coming to an end and marine fish and coral farming is starting, I just can't keep at it for peanuts and my RA has gotten so bad in the last month that there are days where I have a hell of a time walking.

Whoopsy!!

Well, the guy wants the hot rod. Settled on a price that will get me out of credit card debt. And with my renewed passion for welding and fabrication, I will use the empty space in the garage for lawn art that I can hopefully sell for some spare change. Hartski Art is born.

in omnia paratus

My pronouns are Bro/Brah Procta's Avatar
    Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz
    too damn hot to fish
    China is asshoe !!!

Super Straight HTC Crew, Pureblood Crew & a Jeepbrah (no ducks)

Florida is GOAT

Gen X: Humanity's last hope

Originally Posted by Procta View Post
    too damn hot to fish
    Where have you been?

I opened the door this morning and was overcome with the strangling effect of the humidity.

When will it be over?

My pronouns are Bro/Brah Procta's Avatar
    Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by jason_bh View Post
    Where have you been?

I opened the door this morning and was overcome with the strangling effect of the humidity.

When will it be over?
    lost a bet on USA soccer which resulted in a month ban, apparently one of the biggest mass bans in bb.com history lol

its been really hot the last couple days. The car read 110 yesterday and supposed to be warmer today.
    China is asshoe !!!

Super Straight HTC Crew, Pureblood Crew & a Jeepbrah (no ducks)

Florida is GOAT

Gen X: Humanity's last hope