Page 17 of 183 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 117 ... LastLast
    Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by lhprop1 View Post
    I'll take a dry -10 over a humid 40-45 degrees any day of the week. That humid cold cuts to the bone.
    See I'm fine with cold regardless of the humidity, so long as I've got all of my right gear on/with. If I don't have my good gear on and I just go outside in a beat up old sweat shirt then the Humid cold definitely sucks more.

For me the big PIA that I'm sick of dealing with to the point where I will cancel a trip at the last second is strong wind. Strong wind and Cold robs you of heat faster than I can make more heat from working. Speeds up frost bite and worst of all it's the biggest contributer to having gear problems.

Wind in the summer screws up line drags anchors, makes launching and landing hell and just makes you work your ass off to stay on the productive structure.

Wind in the Wintertime gets frost into every damn little corner of everything and blows away everything that isn't held or slushed down.
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz
    While having a few beers at a "bar"* in Belize, the bartender who was a crazy, annoying ex-pat from GA started yapping about how some guys are going to try an antarctic expedition in some D6 dozers. Naturally, I though he was just regurgitating some hogwash some customer told him while drunk and he was gullible enough to believe it. Too many problems with diesel engines in 0 degree temps. -120 is simply out of the question.

Turns out, he wasn't full of baloney. http://www.thecoldestjourney.org/hom...ldest-journey/ This looks pretty damn cool.

*I use the term "bar" loosely. This, um, structure happened to be nothing more than an old barn smaller than my garage. There were no doors or windows in place, including what I assume was once the barn door. Just 4 leaning walls, a leaky roof, a dirt floor, and a couple of 2 x 10s nailed to the top of some posts to serve as a bar.
    Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous. So are cowardice and intelligence.

Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    While having a few beers at a "bar"* in Belize, the bartender who was a crazy, annoying ex-pat from GA started yapping about how some guys are going to try an antarctic expedition in some D6 dozers. Naturally, I though he was just regurgitating some hogwash some customer told him while drunk and he was gullible enough to believe it. Too many problems with diesel engines in 0 degree temps. -120 is simply out of the question.

Turns out, he wasn't full of baloney. http://www.thecoldestjourney.org/hom...ldest-journey/ This looks pretty damn cool.

This is one of those things, like the guy who walked across the Amazon, where it sounds cool and interesting until you actually see the footing and it's all boredom, tedious problems and misery.

I actually think human beings need to stop doing and encouraging garbage like this... Whether it's all Ballon rides around the world in 79 days or less or circumnavigating the globe in a canoe or this hogwash crossing the Antarctic...

It's all kind of obscure adventure garbage, that contributes as much to the cause of human progress as saying owning the Guinness book or world records for having eaten the most Jelly Beans!

How about we spend our efforts on something bigger... Like Cheering for the poor bastards who are trying to refine solar technology into a power source that can replace Fossil fuels when they run out in 100 years... Or how about a little Huzzah for the guys who climb and errect wind farm towers. (I know 3 people who have died doing this, so it's not like it isn't equally dangerous!)

No... We put our energy into this crap... For what? So our grand kids can sit around in the dark 100 years from now telling their kids how it was back in Grandpa's day while they stare out at a landfill full of undecomposed baby diapers!

End/Rant
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

Registered User HairyScandinavian's Avatar
    HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'll take a dry -10 over a humid 40-45 degrees any day of the week. That humid cold cuts to the bone.
    Yup. I remember a while back we went to visit my Uncle in Woodland Park, right outside of Colorado Springs. It was around 40-45 degrees at home before we left and I was freezing my arse off. San Antonio is extremely humid compared to surrounding areas. We got up to Pike's Peak and I took off for a walk, Uncle chased me down and scolded me. I was wearing a long sleeve T-shirt and jeans and it was like 12 degrees outside, didn't even freaking notice or think about it because I felt fine. He made me wear a beanie (I think you guys call them a toboggan?) and put a midweight jacket on.

Originally Posted by Nainoa View Post
    See I'm fine with cold regardless of the humidity, so long as I've got all of my right gear on/with. If I don't have my good gear on and I just go outside in a beat up old sweat shirt then the Humid cold definitely sucks more.

For me the big PIA that I'm sick of dealing with to the point where I will cancel a trip at the last second is strong wind. Strong wind and Cold robs you of heat faster than I can make more heat from working. Speeds up frost bite and worst of all it's the biggest contributer to having gear problems.

Wind in the summer screws up line drags anchors, makes launching and landing hell and just makes you work your ass off to stay on the productive structure.

Wind in the Wintertime gets frost into every damn little corner of everything and blows away everything that isn't held or slushed down.
    I'm with you on the wind, it has destroyed many a trip for us and just makes life in general a huge PITA. One of my recent trips to the beach was miserable, not so much due to the wind speed (which was bad) but the speed combined with the direction. It was coming straight down the beach instead of off the water, blowing sand at 30mph (wind was like 40+) and it was like a constant sandblaster. To make matters worse I had my summer tents with me which are nicely ventilated and the tent would block the wind and cause an eddy, the sand would wrap around the tent and blow IN the back side so I'd have to wake up every hour and coat myself with baby powder after brushing off a layer of sand. Then when I woke up I found a huge hole under the tent, the wind had carved a tunnel under the tent and around the sides LOL.

When the Northerns roll in while we're on the island, it's obviously a blast of cold air but we get big winds with them too of course. Then those winds blow across 7 miles of open bay picking up humidity and salty spray and blast us with some wicked shat.

Originally Posted by HairyScandinavian View Post
    He made me wear a beanie (I think you guys call them a toboggan?)
    I only recognize 4 kinds of hat

A Baseball cap
    A Stocking hat
    A Kippah
    Coon skin cap

Anything else is just marketing garbage thrown out there to hoodwink people into buying some frilly ass hat they don't really need.

I allow for cowboy hats, but ONLY if and while one is engaged in cattle herding activities and should not be condoned as a functional hat in any other social setting.
    6'4"

Well I caught a report saying the bays on Lake Alexander are froze over. Soon it will be December 8th and I will be filling the ice with Crappies!
    6'4"

HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I only recognize 4 kinds of hat

A Baseball cap
    A Stocking hat
    A Kippah
    Coon skin cap

Anything else is just marketing garbage thrown out there to hoodwink people into buying some frilly ass hat they don't really need.

I allow for cowboy hats, but ONLY if and while one is engaged in cattle herding activities and should not be condoned as a functional hat in any other social setting.
    Fighting, cowboy hats are allowed for fights. Oh yeah and when fishing in kayaks, because I said so.

So our "beanie" is probably like a stocking hat?

Attached Images

powerlifter with abs jimmybimmy's Avatar
    jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Fighting, cowboy hats are allowed for fights. Oh yeah and when fishing in kayaks, because I said so.

I apporve both of these statements.

]
    Yeah if you told someone up here that you wear a beanie, they would picture you in one of those little kid hats with rainbow colored panels, a tiny bill and a spinner wheel on top!
    6'4"

lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz
    He made me wear a beanie (I think you guys call them a toboggan?)
    This is a toboggan. I would pay to see you wear one on your head.

This is a toboggan. I would pay to see you wear one on your head.

[IMG]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g236/lhprop1/Toboggan.jpg[IMG]
    I have worn kayaks on my head after trying to make it through some big surf. I've also worn sauce type snow sleds on my head, ironically the same time I discovered that you cannot in any way steer the saucer sleds.

I have worn kayaks on my head after trying to make it through some big surf. I've also worn sauce type snow sleds on my head, ironically the same time I discovered that you cannot in any way steer the saucer sleds.
    Don't get me started on sledding...

When I was a kid it was really something I loved... Despite the fact that I got super jacked up a couple of times.

Out here on the property I've got two possible sledding runs I can put in for the kid. One is pretty mild and safe... The other I'll need to like line with hay bails so it doesn't go shooting off into the dangerous part of the woods.
    6'4"

GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I figure if you can't ice fish, then what's the F-ing point of having a winter?

I guess there's an arguement for people who ski... But like if I lived in a plains state that didn't get enough cold to ice fish, I would DETEST winter!
    Y'all can have ANYTHING below 55 at night, DONOTWANT.jpeg!!!

*I use the term "bar" loosely. This, um, structure happened to be nothing more than an old barn smaller than my garage. There were no doors or windows in place, including what I assume was once the barn door. Just 4 leaning walls, a leaky roof, a dirt floor, and a couple of 2 x 10s nailed to the top of some posts to serve as a bar.

All you have to do is run REALLY dry Jet-A. I'm running sumped Jet-A right now in all my diesels mixed with biodiesel.

This is one of those things, like the guy who walked across the Amazon, where it sounds cool and interesting until you actually see the footing and it's all boredom, tedious problems and misery.
    I'd take another walk about in the Amazon basin over 1 day in the Arctic or Antarctic. There's just so much to see there, you just can't see it all in 38 months, lol.

Leaving in a couple of minutes for the Gestational Diabetes test... But last night I felt the baby kick from the outside for the first time!
    6'4"

Leaving in a couple of minutes for the Gestational Diabetes test... But last night I felt the baby kick from the outside for the first time!
    Wait until you can see her moving. It's like watching Alien in 3D.

44hunter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 44hunter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 44hunter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 44hunter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 44hunter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 44hunter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 44hunter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 44hunter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 44hunter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 44hunter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 44hunter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Wait.. so you felt her kick from the inside?

Keep us updated.
    "I believe that life isn't worth living if not lived passionately." - Nainoa

"Anything you put into your subconscious mind can become reality" - Mike Rashid

Originally Posted by 44hunter View Post
    You thought 6'4" listed was his height?

Wait until you can see her moving. It's like watching Alien in 3D.
    Yeah my wife claims to have seen that while she was taking a bath... But I barely felt it last night.

She's starting to get more and more CPLS...

We had the Gestational Diabetes test today... And I was rubbing her back to soothe her so she wouldn't puke while drinking the stuff and have to take the long test... And the whole time she was tearing me a new ass hole, in the whole Bill Cosby "This is all your fault."

Now we're finally back home so I can hide in the basement from whatever's got her in a Prego-Rage ATM.
    6'4"

And it was followed by a scream like this world has never heard before.

Keep us updated.
    No I previously used my Jedi Senses!
    6'4"

|ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yeah my wife claims to have seen that while she was taking a bath... But I barely felt it last night.

She's starting to get more and more CPLS...

We had the Gestational Diabetes test today... And I was rubbing her back to soothe her so she wouldn't puke while drinking the stuff and have to take the long test... And the whole time she was tearing me a new ass hole, in the whole Bill Cosby "This is all your fault."

Now we're finally back home so I can hide in the basement from whatever's got her in a Prego-Rage ATM.
    Your pregnancy stories may soon have increased significance to me.

subbed.

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. - Bill Murray

Mods - my avatar is locked by the admin and can't be changed.

Originally Posted by |ceman View Post
    Your pregnancy stories may soon have increased significance to me.

subbed.

Oh-oh... Does this mean you've got a little Icebaby on the way?

44's daughter was just born last week... So I just get all the coming highlights previews from him.

My wife and I did one of those "Baby height calculators" Where you enter a bunch of stats about you and your family and they give you a guesstimate of how tall the child will be.

We did 4-5 of them and while a couple came back saying she'd be 5'8.5... Most said she'd be around 5'10" at her adult height.

That will help narrow the field of boys that will hit on her.
    6'4"

I took it to mean that he liked reading about your wife in the bath tub.

powerlifter with abs jimmybimmy's Avatar
    jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000)

44's daughter was just born last week... So I just get all the coming highlights previews from him.

My wife and I did one of those "Baby height calculators" Where you enter a bunch of stats about you and your family and they give you a guesstimate of how tall the child will be.

We did 4-5 of them and while a couple came back saying she'd be 5'8.5... Most said she'd be around 5'10" at her adult height.

Height has never stopped me.

I took it to mean that he liked reading about your wife in the bath tub.
    My wife was/is smokin' hot for age 36...

All my friend's wives are falling a part in their late 30's... Before I knocked her up my Wife looked like Lanny Barbie's, brown haired older sister!

I really need to build up my shot gun collection and get some bad ass tattoos for when my Daughter starts dating!
    6'4"

Originally Posted by jimmybimmy View Post
    Height has never stopped me.
    On my business trip last month, I met a woman who was eye to eye with me, who grew up as a strong country farm girl... Her parents were the same height as my wife and I... So it is theoretically possible my daughter might get there.

I mean you think about when I was 11-13 they estimated that I would be 6'8" possibly 6'10"

Then when I was 16 I started smoking, drinking and do a bunch of other behaviors I would never condone... And I straight up STOPPED growing, when I had been growing like a weed.

If I'm genetically 6'10" and just trapped in this puny 6'5" body, my Daughter could be the next Red Sonja!
    6'4"

|ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

It means that we are trying.

Looks like a rash of baby-fever is spreading through the ramble.

Hopefully around this time next year we will all be dads.
    It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. - Bill Murray

Mods - my avatar is locked by the admin and can't be changed.

You ain't kidding about that. Women get to a certain age and they get baby fever. Then they have a kid and good for a while, but it just comes right back. They see other women with their tiny little newborns and start getting that urge again. Babies are like drugs to women.

It means that we are trying.

Hopefully around this time next year we will all be dads.
    I was kind of jipped out of the whole "Trying" part.

They told us at our ages that it was could take over a year of trying and that we still might need to go to a fertility doc. Everyone our ages that was "Trying" was having the same experience.

So I even went and bought her a bunch of sex lingere and settled in to enjoy myself for a year of "Trying" every day.

Then I knocked her up on the very first try! (When you do the math backwards)
    6'4"

You ain't kidding about that. Women get to a certain age and they get baby fever. Then they have a kid and good for a while, but it just comes right back. They see other women with their tiny little newborns and start getting that urge again. Babies are like drugs to women.
    My wife wants to have 2 kids back to back so that they're like 10-11-12 months apart in age.

I don't know about this from a sanity or a financial stand point... As an only child I'm perfectly content with one.
    6'4"