Page 144 of 183 FirstFirst ... 44 94 134 142 143 144 145 146 154 ... LastLast
Results 4,291 to 4,320 of 5464
    Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Savonadego View Post
    Been a while....been fishing and life happening. Time to start working out again but been getting some fishing in with Fitty!

Sight has changed so not sure how to upload a photo from a phone. Nainoa has seen the pics on face book of what fitty and I have been catching lately.

Check back in later. Need to catch up on losing fat and building muscle. I sit at a desk now
    Did you Y-bone that lamprey or put it back?
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Nainoa View Post
    Well I was thinking 6 to 10 or so. Not really looking for commerical success out of them, just some eggs and entertainment.

Debating on if I want a rooster.
    The only reason I have them is because the neighbors are dickheads.

My pronouns are Bro/Brah Procta's Avatar
    Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by |ceman View Post
    [youtube]-MCtC_U4e2o[youtube]
    they always have the most awkward meals lol

Yeah I know when I did the research it all seems within my reach. Which makes it feel suspicious.

I was thinking I could just convert the tack room of the barn into a roost/coop. Then insulate the hell out of it for the winter. I'd make a pass hole from the tack room into the storage chamber of the barn where I'd have a wire cage for them to get exercise in the winter.

I was also thinking I'd build tire chicken tractors for the garden to allow them to free range a bit without worrying about the army of foxes, coyotes and hawks that all prowl my property.
    sounds like you have the plan laid out in your head, time to buy some chicks

Originally Posted by GREENFEATHER View Post
    He was trying to pawn off all those people being killed in the boat accident near the fish packing house on a catfish. With bull sharks being found 2500 miles up the Amazon, I HIGHLY doubt a catfish was the culprit. Last night they were catching electric eels, NO WAY, NO HOW!!
    I watched the electric eel one....that one foolish guide was holding one with his bare hands...thats worse than holding rattlers for faith

The only reason I have them is because the neighbors are dickheads.
    I admire your level of spite
    China is asshoe !!!

Super Straight HTC Crew, Pureblood Crew & a Jeepbrah (no ducks)

Florida is GOAT

Gen X: Humanity's last hope

storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Nainoa, the QUICKEST way to make a small fortune out of a large on is to start farming. Chickens are pain in the ass, I have 50 of the bastards.
    Well I was thinking 6 to 10 or so. Not really looking for commerical success out of them, just some eggs and entertainment.

Debating on if I want a rooster.
    I'm down to 2 and they are still a pain in the ass. Just say no.

Originally Posted by Savonadego View Post
    Been a while....been fishing and life happening. Time to start working out again but been getting some fishing in with Fitty!

Sight has changed so not sure how to upload a photo from a phone. Nainoa has seen the pics on face book of what fitty and I have been catching lately.

Check back in later. Need to catch up on losing fat and building muscle. I sit at a desk now
    Good to see you man.
    My current log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158720023&p=1173746753&posted=1#post1173746753

A step backwards is better than a setback.

If this (insert whatever trivial thing that is upsetting me) is the worst thing to happen today, I'm going to have a great day.

Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by storm1507 View Post
    I'm down to 2 and they are still a pain in the ass. Just say no.

Good to see you man.
    So what is PIA about them... Is it just the daily maintenance, or are they like trying to peck your eyes out and crapping on the hood of the car every morning type of thing?
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So what is PIA about them... Is it just the daily maintenance, or are they like trying to peck your eyes out and crapping on the hood of the car every morning type of thing?
    Daily maintenance and just not worth the $$$ and time for eggs and/or meat. I'm gradually reducing all critters I have to take care of in anticipation of traveling more.
    My current log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158720023&p=1173746753&posted=1#post1173746753

If this (insert whatever trivial thing that is upsetting me) is the worst thing to happen today, I'm going to have a great day.

Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz
    Daily maintenance and just not worth the $$$ and time for eggs and/or meat. I'm gradually reducing all critters I have to take care of in anticipation of traveling more.
    the city here is on the verge of passing an ordinance where people in suburbs can have hens (up to 8 I believe). I was leaning towards getting a few for eggs.
    China is asshoe !!!

Florida is GOAT

Originally Posted by Procta View Post
    the city here is on the verge of passing an ordinance where people in suburbs can have hens (up to 8 I believe). I was leaning towards getting a few for eggs.
    The crappy thing there is that most hatcheries will only send you a minimum number of 15 chicks. So you almost have to find a partner who will take the other half of the order!

I'm looking at Barred Rock laying hens, which they say will produce 2 eggs per 3 hens per day. Figure as a family we go through 4 to 6 eggs per day. So 9 hens would meet my egg production needs.

I'm okay with the summer maintenance, and I'm alright with the litter trays as I'll compost it for next year's fertilizer. My concern is winter survival and winter maintenance etc...
    6'4"

Check cost of laying pellets and keep in mind that they only lay during the spring/summer (at least in KY). It is much easier/cheaper to buy at the store.

The crappy thing there is that most hatcheries will only send you a minimum number of 15 chicks. So you almost have to find a partner who will take the other half of the order!

I'm looking at Barred Rock laying hens, which they say will produce 2 eggs per 3 hens per day. Figure as a family we go through 4 to 6 eggs per day. So 9 hens would meet my egg production needs.

I'm okay with the summer maintenance, and I'm alright with the litter trays as I'll compost it for next year's fertilizer. My concern is winter survival and winter maintenance etc...
    Water freezes just about every night during the KY winter...I couldn't imagine MN.
    My current log

Check cost of laying pellets and keep in mind that they only lay during the spring/summer (at least in KY). It is much easier/cheaper to buy at the store.

Water freezes just about every night during the KY winter...I couldn't imagine MN.
    Well I was thinking for the water that I would just buy one of those plug in heated watering stations. One mag I read talked about fountains, and while I have a spare fountain, I know the damn things slime up from just two cats. I could imagine 4 chickens being a nightmare.

I also have a 44 X 80 inch thermal glass window. I was thinking I would convert the tack room into a coop and put the window on the south face to allow in additional light. Then I was going to lay some black bricks in front of the window to pick up heat load from the sun.

Then I was going to go with a cold hardy breed like Barred Rocks.

My neighbor keeps chickens and he gets eggs through the year. He says egg production is cut in half in the winter, but that they'll keep laying so long as the birds aren't stressed etc...

I'm still thinking about it. Not sold one way or the other.

Might start out with some meat breeds, raise them through one cycle and harvest at 20 weeks (Around christmas) just to get my feet wet.
    6'4"

iccyman001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iccyman001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iccyman001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iccyman001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iccyman001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iccyman001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iccyman001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iccyman001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iccyman001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iccyman001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iccyman001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think the chickens would be an awesome idea! I will come help you build their pen

I would imagine that it would definitely become a coyotes hot spot out where you are though. Do you have many right now?
    ★cVc★

"Hes the reason for the tear drops on my barbell" -jordansrt

Originally Posted by iccyman001 View Post
    I think the chickens would be an awesome idea! I will come help you build their pen

I would imagine that it would definitely become a coyotes hot spot out where you are though. Do you have many right now?
    I haven't seen the 3 legged coyote or any tracks for him in a while. What I do have is a FAMILY of gray Fox living just down the hill, like 250 feet from where I'd build the coop. There is also a family of Hawks preparing to fledge in the same stand of pines. And this whole area is RIFE with birds of prey.

So I won't be "Free-Ranging" the birds and playing hippie drum music while they forage organic worms from my garden!

I figure I'll have an indoor coop with big window with a pass through to an indoor fenced area in the barn. Then I'll probably put in a chicken run or build some tractors for day visits to the garden where they can scratch out weeds and pick off bugs.
    6'4"

Coons and possums will be the problem w/ predators.

If you want to raise them, raise them. It's not a life decision...they make good dumplings if need be.
    My current log

Savonadego is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Savonadego is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Savonadego is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Savonadego is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Savonadego is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Savonadego is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Savonadego is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Savonadego is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Savonadego is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Savonadego is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Savonadego is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Did you Y-bone that lamprey or put it back?
    First one I kept in a long time. Pike is soaking in the refrigerator.

Savonadego is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Savonadego is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Savonadego is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Savonadego is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Savonadego is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Savonadego is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Savonadego is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Savonadego is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Savonadego is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Savonadego is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Savonadego is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Good to see you man.
    I will be around a little more. Got a new job after I finished the college thing. So summer is my bust time. Good to see your still here.

Coons and possums will be the problem w/ predators.

If you want to raise them, raise them. It's not a life decision...they make good dumplings if need be.
    When I first moved out here it was after the second warmest winter in 50 years and coons and skunks were definitely an issue. After two of the top 5 hardest winters in this region since 1863 it's a waste land for all but the hardiest scavengers. Even the squirrels and rabbits that were EPIC are now scant.

When it comes to raising chickens, predator wise, Fox is my biggest worry. And of course I've got a rodent issue out in the barn that I don't know how to deal with. I've heard mixed info on the impact of rodents in a chicken coop. Any insights?
    6'4"

Registered User HairyScandinavian's Avatar
    HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Only way to go with chickens is a good plot of land and free range. If you have to feed the damn things it becomes pointless in a hurry and not worth the effort. Long ago I had some that were flat out zero maintenance. They just scratched around 4 acres and ate bugs and drank water from the dog bowls. From time to time they'd stop laying eggs in the laying boxes and start roosting in trees. I'd go out at night with a 2x4 and flashlight, find them and stick the 2x4 under their chest and they jump right on it. Lock them in the coop for a couple days and they'll go a few months without repeating. Rodents were never an issue, my chickens would kick their ass and they never bothered eggs. Opossums would sometimes harass the bitties if they were really young, foxes could not penetrate my pens nor fit in the chicken door (I had some damn fine huge pens), dogs kept the coons away. I can't say I ever lost an egg to anything other than a snake, and only things that ever bothered the chickens were domestic stray dogs during the day when the birds were out in the fields but the birds were usually fast enough to get up into a tree or back to the yard/pens before any damage was done.
    Last edited by HairyScandinavian; 04-15-2014 at 11:26 PM.

Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I imagine the power consumption and feed bill would quickly outweigh the cost benefit of the eggs and meat.
    The hardest part of a zombie apocalypse will be pretending I'm not excited.

in omnia paratus

they make good dumplings if need be.
    the coons or possums?
    China is asshoe !!!

Florida is GOAT

Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think I'm going to become a disenfranchised artist. I look at the world today and wish for a better, simpler time. I am getting lots of ideas for a series I'll call "The Death of America".

in omnia paratus

Originally Posted by procta View Post
    the coons or possums?
    bbq.
    My current log

lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz
    bbq.
    Yuck. I can't imagine being hungry enough to try coon, possum, yote, etc.
    Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous. So are cowardice and intelligence.

Originally Posted by Hartski View Post
    I imagine the power consumption and feed bill would quickly outweigh the cost benefit of the eggs and meat.
    Well the university of Ohio did a companion study with the University of Hawaii, looking at the different cost and benefits of raising chickens, specifically laying hens.

I plugged the base information into the Barred Rock breed I'm looking at. Then subtracted back the cost of feed for in my area, average cost of power for the watering station in the winter and came out with these numbers:

Savings per bird in eggs per year: $10
    Savings per bird in Fertilizer/compost per year: $45
    Final meat savings for slaughtering the bird: $7 (Stewing hen)

If we consider that the average bird lays for 2 years, then I slaughter it for soup...

Each bird lifetime has a net value of $117.

The variable I haven't accounted for is the hours of work etc...

Figure if I have 6 birds it's a savings of $702
    So if it's an average of 702 hours of work to tend the birds, then I'm saving $1 an hour!
    6'4"

Well the university of Ohio did a companion study with the University of Hawaii, looking at the different cost and benefits of raising chickens, specifically laying hens.
    damn dude you need to watch more mindless t.v.

just got the word the bro in-law will have his boat back from winter repairs. Cant wait to get back on the water with a few lines in the water.
    China is asshoe !!!

Florida is GOAT

damn dude you need to watch more mindless t.v.

just got the word the bro in-law will have his boat back from winter repairs. Cant wait to get back on the water with a few lines in the water.
    LOL... That's nothing... You should see my research on goats!
    6'4"

Don't forget power costs for the heat lamps, too

in omnia paratus

GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I admire your level of spite
    Brother, my hatred for my neighbors keeps me warm at night. Caught another one hunting in the back, he was marched out at gunpoint for the DNR. The rest think it's a fukn petting zoo. So when they complain, I give them something to complain about, chicken houses are HORRID smelling structures long about late June through September. ENJOY YOUR COOKOUTS YA JACKWAGONS!!!

Originally Posted by lhprop1 View Post
    Yuck. I can't imagine being hungry enough to try coon, possum, yote, etc.
    Me either, I don't eat rodents or dogs.

iccyman001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iccyman001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iccyman001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iccyman001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iccyman001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iccyman001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iccyman001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iccyman001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iccyman001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iccyman001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iccyman001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Me either, dogs.
    this has to be a typo..... You spelt cats wrong.

Why do you not like dogs?
    ★cVc★

"Hes the reason for the tear drops on my barbell" -jordansrt

Originally Posted by iccyman001 View Post
    this has to be a typo..... You spelt cats wrong.

Why do you not like dogs?
    They're a tad stringy

Registered User HairyScandinavian's Avatar
    HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You been out yet, Proc?
    My first real trip will be mid-May but won't be in the boat we're likely hitting the beach. I'm thinking about going crawdad fishing tomorrow thouogh and see if we can get enough for a mini family dinner boil.

LOL... That's nothing... You should see my research on goats!
    You factor in free lawn mowing and saving money on sex toys?