JMacAA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Squats 12 rep failure, heart rate soars. Normal?

I'm 39 and have been lifting for 16 years. I used to lift heavy in the 3-5 rep range...for years. Recently (past few months) I've switched to less weight and higher reps (8-12). Currently I'm taking a weight that I can do roughly 12 times to failure. Squats are killing me. I often have to rack cause my HR shoots up to 175 bpm (near HR max). This happens usually around the 12th rep and I feel that my muscles are good for at least 3-4 more reps.

So my questions are:

(1) Is it normal for the HR to shoot up like that during squats? It was much easier when I was only lifting to 5 reps, even though the weight was heavier. I also NEVER notice my HR going through the roof when I bench 12 rep failure. Squats are my nemesis.

(2) Is it better for me to hurry the 12 sets up or take time between reps and breath? If I take time, obviously the duration of the 12 sets will be longer than if I just chug away and try to get to 12 pretty much as quickly as possible, while maintaining good form. What I mean is when I start something physically taxing, it seems that 25-30 seconds is about my limit before I have to rack due to crazy high, pounding HR.

I'd appreciate any advice and/or comments.

Thanks!

Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JMacAA View Post
    I'm 39 and have been lifting for 16 years. I used to lift heavy in the 3-5 rep range...for years. Recently (past few months) I've switched to less weight and higher reps (8-12). Currently I'm taking a weight that I can do roughly 12 times to failure. Squats are killing me. I often have to rack cause my HR shoots up to 175 bpm (near HR max). This happens usually around the 12th rep and I feel that my muscles are good for at least 3-4 more reps.

So my questions are:

(1) Is it normal for the HR to shoot up like that during squats? It was much easier when I was only lifting to 5 reps, even though the weight was heavier. I also NEVER notice my HR going through the roof when I bench 12 rep failure. Squats are my nemesis.

(2) Is it better for me to hurry the 12 sets up or take time between reps and breath? If I take time, obviously the duration of the 12 sets will be longer than if I just chug away and try to get to 12 pretty much as quickly as possible, while maintaining good form. What I mean is when I start something physically taxing, it seems that 25-30 seconds is about my limit before I have to rack due to crazy high, pounding HR.

I'd appreciate any advice and/or comments.

Thanks!
    Firstly, good job on the 16 years of lifting, you must be looking like a beast!

Secondly, I find it's perfectly normal, my heart rate doesn't only soar, I'm normally out of breath and sweating too.

Remember that squats are a compound exercise that involve large groups of muscles.

Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    (1) same thing happens to me, my heart rate sky rockets even if i do 30reps of bodyweight squats. Can't really feel my heart rate changing while doing 5reps with 100kg+ (some HR changes, but not as much as high rep squat). Same thing happens during high rep deadlifts but squats is just an overkill with high reps for me.

I think it's just normal, squats work many muscles and can be taxing on your body.
    Get stronger to climb harder!

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by JMacAA View Post
    I'm 39 and have been lifting for 16 years.
    This is pretty basic stuff for someone with your claimed experience.

If a 12-rep set of Squats has your heart pounding, you're just out of condition. Either start doing regular CV exercise, or increase what you're currently doing and work harder at it.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733