ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Control Your Variables

Control Your Variables

When it comes to lifting weights there are four basic variables within the gym: volume, intensity, frequency, and exercise type. Within those variables are other smaller sub-variables, such as rest periods and lifting tempo, but the focus is on the four big variables. Controlling these variables appropriately is what ensures long term success in the iron game.

First, let’s define these variables. Volume can be measured as the amount of work you are doing. There are multiple ways to measure this, and ideally, multiple ways are utilized to provide a more thorough view of your training. Volume can be measured as number of lifts, number of sets, and total weight lifted. It can be broken into more detailed numbers, such as number of sets or reps within a certain intensity range. One volume measure is not very useful by itself is because one measure cannot provide a complete picture. A workout that involves 1000 pounds of volume could consist of a single rep with 1000 pounds, a set of 10 with 100 pounds, a set of 100 with 10 pounds, or 10 sets of 2 with 50 pounds. All these are very different workouts, yet result in the same poundage. For this reason multiple measures of volume are important.

Intensity is a measure of the weight in terms of percentage of a 1 rep max (1RM), not how much you grunt and yell. There are a few different ways to measure intensity. The most popular is working off of a previously established 1RM. Another way is rep max calculators. While these are not always accurate for a lot of people, they are at least consistent and can be used when working up to a 1RM is not practical. Lately I have been using what I call rep intensity to describe intensity. If I work up to 300x3 as my top set but could have done a 4th it was a rep intensity of 4. Likewise, if I could have done an additional 2 reps, it would be a rep intensity of 5. I feel this eliminates the nuances of 85% versus 83% and makes planning a bit simpler.

Frequency is how often the lift is being performed or how often the body part is being worked. Since most everyone organizes their training around the 7-day calendar week, frequency is usually expressed by how many times per week something occurs, although frequency certainly isn’t limited to a weekly basis. For those that want to take this variable into greater detail, rest periods between sets would fall under the frequency variable.

Exercise type. This can be viewed from very broad terms as simply looking at exercises as a leg exercise or back exercise to the very specifics of the exercise. Since greater detail allows for greater control, I suggest looking at it in the most detailed way possible. Take your grip in a little on bench? That’s a different exercise. Doing box squats? I would call a 14 inch box different than a 13 inch box. While these are very close and can be comparable with conclusions being drawn from one variation in regards to another, the most accurate conclusions are made from identical exercise comparisons.

So now that definitions are established how do we take advantage of these variables? First we have to have some way of measuring and recording these variables. This is where a detailed journal comes into play. What did you do last week? Last month? The last couple of months? If you have no clue then how do you know what you should do next week or for the next month? If you are closer to your goals but don’t know what brought you there, then you don’t know what will continue moving you forward to your goals. The answer needs to be more complex than just “I am doing XYZ program.” I see lots of forum posts that read, “I did So and So’s program for a while and saw good results. Now I am thinking of doing this other program which is totally different. What is your opinion?” If the first program was effective, why would you trade out an effective training system for one of unknown effectiveness? If you enjoy lifting weights and the enjoyment you get out of your time in the gym is more than enough reward for you then that is fine--there is nothing wrong with it. If switching programs is what you feel will make your time in the gym more enjoyable, then have at it. However, if you are lifting weights to achieve a specific goal, you need to have a tight rein on your variables. While your pursuit might be a marathon, no one ever won a marathon by getting off the route constantly. In fact, the person that constantly gets off the route probably isn’t even going to finish the marathon. Implementing change needs to be done a little at a time and needs to serve a specific purpose. Change for the purpose of change is not a specific change.

So what does having a tight rein on your variables mean? It means knowing what the above variables are in your program, and when appropriate, making small changes to those variables. Maintaining frequency--maintaining the number of reps and the bar weight and doing the same exercise but doing an additional set--is a way to increase the volume while keeping everything else the same. Doing this is a good way to measure the effect of an increase in volume. Increasing the volume through doubling your reps and doing many more sets with much lower intensity and with a different exercise you might get closer to you goals but what exactly was the variable(s) that helped? You changed so much you can’t list what was effective, and the next time you start to stall out you still won’t have an idea what to change to continue making progress. As a side note, realize due to the inverse relationship between volume and intensity an increase in one usually is accompanied by a decrease in the other. Otherwise, we would regularly be able to lift heavier weights for more reps.

My real world example: I went through 8 weeks of training and hit some awesome PRs (I train for powerlifting), and over the next 8 weeks I saw my strength decrease by a large margin. I looked over my training and saw that the one main difference was more reps performed at 90% and above, and more sets taken to a rep max rather than leaving a rep in the tank. The difference in these numbers wasn’t all that great but it was significant. I made small changes based off of that observation. That was 8 weeks ago and strength is improving. Had I constantly made big changes to all the variables, I would have mostly been throwing darts blindfolded and unable to replicate the occasional random bull’s-eye. In part, this trend was also easier to spot due to a well-organized training journal. Like most lifters out there, I don’t have the benefit of having someone coach me, so I must learn to coach myself. That is why I am a believer in this idea.

Take a year to implement only changes that serve a specific purpose. Lay out detailed plans and then work them. Implement small changes when necessary and record the results. Even if you hit periods where you don’t make progress, you will at least know what is ineffective for you as an individual. After a year of this, I assure you that you will be a better coach for yourself--and a better coach leads to more success.

Climbing back to the top. Hizzie's Avatar
    Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

Nice article. Yeah, same username as arfcom.
    Review Page
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=894821

ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by ButcherPLer View Post
    Control Your Variables

When it comes to lifting weights there are four basic variables within the gym: volume, intensity, frequency, and exercise type. Within those variables are other smaller sub-variables, such as rest periods and lifting tempo, but the focus is on the four big variables. Controlling these variables appropriately is what ensures long term success in the iron game.
    you know your stuff
    First, let’s define these variables. Volume can be measured as the amount of work you are doing. There are multiple ways to measure this, and ideally, multiple ways are utilized to provide a more thorough view of your training. Volume can be measured as number of lifts, number of sets, and total weight lifted. It can be broken into more detailed numbers, such as number of sets or reps within a certain intensity range. One volume measure is not very useful by itself is because one measure cannot provide a complete picture. A workout that involves 1000 pounds of volume could consist of a single rep with 1000 pounds, a set of 10 with 100 pounds, a set of 100 with 10 pounds, or 10 sets of 2 with 50 pounds. All these are very different workouts, yet result in the same poundage. For this reason multiple measures of volume are important.

Intensity is a measure of the weight in terms of percentage of a 1 rep max (1RM), not how much you grunt and yell. There are a few different ways to measure intensity. The most popular is working off of a previously established 1RM. Another way is rep max calculators. While these are not always accurate for a lot of people, they are at least consistent and can be used when working up to a 1RM is not practical. Lately I have been using what I call rep intensity to describe intensity. If I work up to 300x3 as my top set but could have done a 4th it was a rep intensity of 4. Likewise, if I could have done an additional 2 reps, it would be a rep intensity of 5. I feel this eliminates the nuances of 85% versus 83% and makes planning a bit simpler.

Frequency is how often the lift is being performed or how often the body part is being worked. Since most everyone organizes their training around the 7-day calendar week, frequency is usually expressed by how many times per week something occurs, although frequency certainly isn’t limited to a weekly basis. For those that want to take this variable into greater detail, rest periods between sets would fall under the frequency variable.

Exercise type. This can be viewed from very broad terms as simply looking at exercises as a leg exercise or back exercise to the very specifics of the exercise. Since greater detail allows for greater control, I suggest looking at it in the most detailed way possible. Take your grip in a little on bench? That’s a different exercise. Doing box squats? I would call a 14 inch box different than a 13 inch box. While these are very close and can be comparable with conclusions being drawn from one variation in regards to another, the most accurate conclusions are made from identical exercise comparisons.

So now that definitions are established how do we take advantage of these variables? First we have to have some way of measuring and recording these variables. This is where a detailed journal comes into play. What did you do last week? Last month? The last couple of months? If you have no clue then how do you know what you should do next week or for the next month? If you are closer to your goals but don’t know what brought you there, then you don’t know what will continue moving you forward to your goals. The answer needs to be more complex than just “I am doing XYZ program.” I see lots of forum posts that read, “I did So and So’s program for a while and saw good results. Now I am thinking of doing this other program which is totally different. What is your opinion?” If the first program was effective, why would you trade out an effective training system for one of unknown effectiveness? If you enjoy lifting weights and the enjoyment you get out of your time in the gym is more than enough reward for you then that is fine--there is nothing wrong with it. If switching programs is what you feel will make your time in the gym more enjoyable, then have at it. However, if you are lifting weights to achieve a specific goal, you need to have a tight rein on your variables. While your pursuit might be a marathon, no one ever won a marathon by getting off the route constantly. In fact, the person that constantly gets off the route probably isn’t even going to finish the marathon. Implementing change needs to be done a little at a time and needs to serve a specific purpose. Change for the purpose of change is not a specific change.

So what does having a tight rein on your variables mean? It means knowing what the above variables are in your program, and when appropriate, making small changes to those variables. Maintaining frequency--maintaining the number of reps and the bar weight and doing the same exercise but doing an additional set--is a way to increase the volume while keeping everything else the same. Doing this is a good way to measure the effect of an increase in volume. Increasing the volume through doubling your reps and doing many more sets with much lower intensity and with a different exercise you might get closer to you goals but what exactly was the variable(s) that helped? You changed so much you can’t list what was effective, and the next time you start to stall out you still won’t have an idea what to change to continue making progress. As a side note, realize due to the inverse relationship between volume and intensity an increase in one usually is accompanied by a decrease in the other. Otherwise, we would regularly be able to lift heavier weights for more reps.

My real world example: I went through 8 weeks of training and hit some awesome PRs (I train for powerlifting), and over the next 8 weeks I saw my strength decrease by a large margin. I looked over my training and saw that the one main difference was more reps performed at 90% and above, and more sets taken to a rep max rather than leaving a rep in the tank. The difference in these numbers wasn’t all that great but it was significant. I made small changes based off of that observation. That was 8 weeks ago and strength is improving. Had I constantly made big changes to all the variables, I would have mostly been throwing darts blindfolded and unable to replicate the occasional random bull’s-eye. In part, this trend was also easier to spot due to a well-organized training journal. Like most lifters out there, I don’t have the benefit of having someone coach me, so I must learn to coach myself. That is why I am a believer in this idea.

Take a year to implement only changes that serve a specific purpose. Lay out detailed plans and then work them. Implement small changes when necessary and record the results. Even if you hit periods where you don’t make progress, you will at least know what is ineffective for you as an individual. After a year of this, I assure you that you will be a better coach for yourself--and a better coach leads to more success.
    you know your stuff

ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ButcherPLer View Post
    As a side note, realize due to the inverse relationship between volume and intensity an increase in one usually is accompanied by a decrease in the other. Otherwise, we would regularly be able to lift heavier weights for more reps.
    I should have clarified this point better. A change in intensity does not have to mean an automatic change in volume. However an increase in intensity usually results in a decreased ability to put up similiar volumes. If you do 10x10 at 50% you might be able to increase intensity by 5% and maintain the same sets and reps, however at some point increasing intensity will require you perform less sets and/or reps.

aliceliner has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aliceliner has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aliceliner has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aliceliner has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aliceliner has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aliceliner has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aliceliner has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aliceliner has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aliceliner has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aliceliner has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aliceliner has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I think, it’s a helpful topic. I like this topic. I want know some helpful things from this side. It fresh my mind and experience. So lots of thanks for sharing this information with me.
    http://www.xtmmo.com

XNibiru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) XNibiru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    [QUOTE=aliceliner;970977213]I think, it’s a helpful topic. I like this topic. I want know some helpful things from this side. It fresh my mind and experience. So lots of thanks for sharing this information with me.[/QUOTE

5 stars for this. very helpful.

SMKillerBody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SMKillerBody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SMKillerBody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SMKillerBody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SMKillerBody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SMKillerBody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SMKillerBody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SMKillerBody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SMKillerBody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SMKillerBody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I keep a mental journal of each week, but I really should start doing a written one. Great post and I like the idea of the 4 variables. Very true!

egosum12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) egosum12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) egosum12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) egosum12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) egosum12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) egosum12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) egosum12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) egosum12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) egosum12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) egosum12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) egosum12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good writing

Self promoting bump. Two and a half years later I still agree with what I originally wrote. Also, this article was good enough for someone to rewrite and call it their own, so you know it is good!

Johnwillton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi,

Parabolin is best drug to control Variables. Parabolin is widely used by Athletes, Gym Goers, Body Builders for the purpose of growing of muscles and increasing the appetite and stamina. Parabolin is also known as Trenabol and Finaject in US and EU Countries. Finejet is a veterinary steroid and contains trenbolone acetate which is very fast acting. Many people who use it like that it produces dramatic hardness and strength increases in a short period of time.

IH8OffDays will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8OffDays will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8OffDays will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8OffDays will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8OffDays will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8OffDays will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8OffDays will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8OffDays will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8OffDays will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8OffDays will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8OffDays will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    interesting read

Calorie combustion engine FurorGermanicus's Avatar
    FurorGermanicus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Butcher, is there a chance to get in touch with you to discuss some personal matter? I'd like to ask you something